PDA

View Full Version : Archive/Campaign Journal 3.5

Zexionthefirst
2018-01-30, 02:40 PM
Nathiri- a Tiefling with 4 levels of sorcerer.
STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 18
+1 Quarterstaff, mainly uses Shocking Grasp and Scorching Ray.
She currently has a STR of 10 due to ability damage from a Hag she sought out and tried to fight.

Sai'den- a Half-elf with 5 levels of Druid.
STR 14, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 15, WIS 18, CHA 16
+1 Club which can allow the user to alter an Entangle spell they cast to only effect a 5 ft space, and not trigger until someone enters the space. He mainly uses fire spells in combat, and the player likes being a combat medic of sorts. Has a wolf companion (Puppers Von Doggo)

Ivorauth- a Half-elf with 4 levels of Monk. He just joined last session and is a new player.
STR 14, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 18
+1 Bo Staff (mechanically it's a quarterstaff). As a houserule, he'll be getting access to a ki pool (circa 5th edition) which he can spend to use martial maneuvers.

Mainly using 3.5 However, we are using some rules from Pathfinder such as unlimited Zero level spell (Cure minor wounds does not exist). We are also using Long and Short Rests from 5E. This is to help keep the game flowing, and allows me a little more leeway with balance. I will also be using the Minion rule from 4E, as altered by Demonac (in his Tales From My D&D Campaign series on YouTube.)

There are other rules, but the only big rule is that We're here to have fun. Let's have fun!

This is a record. For me, and one day for my players. But rather than a record of "What did happen", I want this to be a record of "What could have happened".

We all know that players take things in completely different directions from what you planed for. So this is, in my eye, just a session by session account of how I thought things would go before my plan makes contact with my players. And, maybe someone can get some inspiration from this someday.

So, our party sorcerer has the Veil of Storms, a magical item that's apart of a seven piece set themed around the prismatic spell line (Her specific piece takes up a torso slot, makes her immune to the yellow effect of any prismatic spell, and lets her deal additional damage to anyone who has been affected by her electricity spells in the last round). Part of her backstory/reason for traveling to the town the game started in was she was looking for information out where any of the other six Veils might be.

In the next session, the party will be reaching the capital. On the way there, they'll encounter a contingent of soldiers marching to the capital, having been called to mobilize from one of the southern fortresses. If the party choose to interact common folk trailing behind the soldiers, they'll learn that Kobolds have been increasing their raids in the northern territory and killing hundreds of gnomes from the Nomadic tribes.

Fast forward to after they get to the Capital- the party will be approached by a gnomish woman, claiming her son saw Kobolds down in the sewers. When they tried going to the local guards, they were told they were “over reacting,” “just looking for attention,” and “causing trouble.” Her son went down into the sewers to get proof, and hasn't returned. She implores the party to find him and save him.

The party goes into the sewers, and encounter don't really find anything (there's a possibility of a small battle with a Carrion Crawler, but depending on which direction they chose they may miss it). Eventually they're come across a room with a massive crack in the one side of the wall, exposing a tunnel that's been dug through the earth. Near the crack are a sledge hammer and pickax. Also in the room is a chest.

The chest is a mimic. If they try to open it, it'll attack. When it's close to death, the same gnomish woman from before will enter the room, ramble for a moment about how “you meatbags are so stupid, Grizik tricked you good!” before letting off a fireball into the room (Killing off what's left of the mimic, and damaging the party.”

The kobold will drop the Alter Self spell, revealing to the party that there are in fact Kobolds in the sewers, and a Kobold Archer will appear from the side tunnel. Gizik will give a bit of a monolog about how he is so smart, how he disguised himself as a gnome all the way here, how he slipped in with the refugees.

More importantly, he has the Burning veil, and item the party sorcerer will want. And, in fact, he noticed that she had the Veil of Storms, which is why he risked blowing his cover to lure her down here. This little “side quest” gives the party a chance to learn a bit more about this world's Kobolds before the next arch of the story takes off. And gives Nathiri (the party sorcerer) a chance to get a hold of a second Veil.

Gizik 5th-Level Kobold Wizard
Size/Type: Small Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 5d4 +4 25HP
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-5
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Magic Missile 1/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills:
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Toughness, Extend Spell, ARCANE THESIS (Alter Self)

Spells -/4/3/2
Zero: Resistance, Sonic Snap, Message, Detect Magic

First: Burning Hands, Ray of Enfeeblement, Burning Hands, Mage Armor

Second: Rope Trick, Alter Self, Alter Self

Third: Fireball, Protection from Energy

Zexionthefirst
2018-02-05, 08:17 PM
What happened with session 6?

There was a large amount of sleeping, Ivorauth had a dream where he relived a bit of his torture at the hand of the Hag (which involved the Hag's hand around his lung).

The party watched from hiding and a contingent of soldiers marched past, flaunting the banner of the Duchess Astraea. Behind this marching horde, a plethora of much more common folk followed. Ivorauth overheard some stock phrases such as "Can you believe it? An entire contingent being called North!" and "Those Scalebacks won't know what hit them!".

After a bit more travel, the party finally makes it to the Capital of Uin'Cardia. While passing through the South District, the group encounters a Gnome barking about her woes. "Why son said he saw Kobolds in the Sewer- the guards said we were just looking for attention."

The Party moves on, leaving the Gnome to her sorrow, and Nathiri leads them into the Amethyst District, to Balasar's home. There, the young Tiefling finds the elderly human wizard Tearin.

Warning Tearin about the potential danger his apprentice, Lyris, is in, the old man quickly pulls out and utilizes a Scroll of Teleportation. Nathiri is left alone upstairs, while the too Half-elves fool around downstairs, discovering an illusory wall hiding a second parlor (much more small, and fancy).

Nathiri pieces together that Balasar is not home, and hasn't been for a while. With help from her two allies, she decodes a message- orders to the Draggonborn that seem to be deploying his in the north... most likely this has something to do with the growing Kobold threat.

Sai'den goes drinking, Ivorauth takes a moment of deep reflection (and takes a gemstone), and Nathiri reads a book.

It seems that the party, lead by Nathiri's drive, was rather uninterested in helping out the Gnomish woman. Or rather, both the players for the half-elves were up for helping said Gnome, but the player for Nathiri was very worried about a young Tiefling they had met a few sessions earlier.

Rather than taking the time to deal with this new problem, Nathiri wanted t make sure she found Tearin in time to ensure he could be warned that a River Spirit, one which self identifies as a goddess, may be planning on using Tearin's apprentice in some ritual to restore herself to power.

Balasar is a blue Dragonborn, and the Nathiri's mentor. He lives in the Amethyst District, and Nathiri's plan was to find him, and use him to figure out where Tearin was (the older human wizard having been called to the capital several weeks earlier). Instead, they found Tearin staying at Balasar's home.

This had been planned since before the game had been started, I knew that Tearin was in the Capital and it's natural that he would stay at his friend's house. I also new sometime between sessions 2 and 3 that Balasar would not be at his home.

Anywho, Nathiri tells the old man what's up, and as soon as she mentions the River Spirit's name (Uin'Aquar) he passes his Knowlage check and begins to hurriedly locate a Scroll of Teleportation and Activate it. This was a mistake on my part- he was supposed to write a series of messages for the party to deliver to other members, then teleport away. But, in hindsight, this made more sense. With his knowledge of what/who Uin'Aquar is, it does make more sense for him to have dropped everything and rushed home.

Honestly...
First, if they don't clear out the sewers, if they don't discover that the Gnomish woman is really a Kodold is disguise, then that Kobold is going to be able to gradually be able to smuggle more and more of his kin into the underground of the Capital city. They will continue Gizik's original plan of undermining the city from within. And the Kobold wizard may attempt to manipulate the local crime organizations into dealing with the party (so he can steal Nathiri's Veil of Storms).

Second, Lyris (the tiefling apprentice our party's tiefling is trying to save) has already been captured and taken by Uin'Aquar. I don't know if Tearin will be able to arrive home and manage to get his baring in time to save the girl. I do know that if Lyris dies two things are going to happen:
1) Uin'Aquar is going to be able to restore most of her lost power, making her a dangerous threat.
2) Tearin is going to end up a broken man, emotionally defeated. Honestly, I don't see him being able to live with the guilt of not protecting his apprentice.

I have a few ideas of what to prep for the next session. I know where Nathiri's player wants to go, and that may be rather Role Play heavy. I also have an idea of some of the information I want her to get (in part so the story can move forward).

SpamCreateWater
2018-02-06, 07:05 PM
Looking forward to your musings :smallsmile:

But, there was one spelling mistake...

If the party choose to interact common folk trailing behind the soldiers, they'll learn that Kobolds have been increasing their raids in the northern territory and killing hundreds of gnomes from the Gnomadic tribes.

I'll be really interested to see how the mish mash of PF, 3.5, 4e, and 5e go together.

Zexionthefirst
2018-02-08, 02:51 AM
Looking forward to your musings :smallsmile:

But, there was one spelling mistake...

I'll be really interested to see how the mish mash of PF, 3.5, 4e, and 5e go together.

Thank you so much for taking an interest! And... I feel really bad for not having thought about that pun. You get a cookie for making me laugh! :smallsmile:

Where to next?
I know Nathiri is wanting to seek out the Diviner Devon. He's the head of the 4th Rise, and the most powerful spellcaster in the capital. (The only other spellcaster of any note is an Elven wizard named Magragail, and she is rather secretive. The party knows nothing about her, other than she exists)

If Nathiri decides to seek out Devon, she'll end up at a place called The Athenaeum, which serves as a library, university, and temple for Boccob and to a lesser extent Wee Jas. Here, she'll be able to get a meeting with Devon, and will most likely explain how Tearin teleported home to make sure his apprentice is alright.

It may be important to note that this is where I made a mistake in our last session: I was supposed to have Tearin write a letter explaining the situation, which he would seal with an arcane mark. The party could then simply dive this letter to Devon. However, I flubbed it and had Tearin just teleport right back to Mistvale.

Now, I plan to roll with this mistake, as I feel it actually helps build character (In my mind at least), and helps be get a better grasp of who he is and how I should play him in future encounters. But, back to what I was saying...

Initially I plan to have Devon act disinterested in speaking with the Tiefling sorceress. In fact, the only reason he's giving her any time at all is because she was Balasar's apprentice... he's doing a personal courtesy, nothing more.

I foresee Nathiri wanting to discuss two points-
1) I'm sure she'll want to try and find out where Balasar is. She found an encoded message addressed to her mentor, but failed on the Decipher Script check and was only able to determine they seemed to be deployment orders putting him somewhere up north (Related to the growing conflict with the Kobolds).

2) I expect her to inform him that Tearin has left.

Now, once he knows that Tearin is no long in the capital, he's going to have a bit of a nervous breakdown. You see, Devon is very dedicated to his work. He is one of the most extreme workaholics you'll ever meet. And part of his job at the moment involves making various magical items.

Items he can't actually make on his own. He only has the Scribe Scroll and Craft Wondrous Item feats. And, he only really knows spells from the Abjuration and Divination schools of magic, with maybe one or two spells total from other schools. He needs Tearin to cover the gap in his spellcasting and in some cases to use the older human's crafting feats.

Devon is also going to be very upset that a Scroll of Teleportation was use. "Do you know how long it takes to make one of those ****ing things!? Do you know what does into it? Of course you don't. ****!"

As part of this freak out, he's going to very quickly try and formulate a plan. He can either try and use the party to solve a problem he's been having with his divinations. Or he can have them head to Mistvail and try to get Tearin back to the capital.

In Devon's mind, the most pressing issue will be dealing with the war against the Kobolds. For some reason, a good portion of his spells are being blocked when he tries to gather information magically. His scrying and divination spells spells work a vast majority of the time, but fail anytime he uses them around two specific things.

The Bloodrose Legion: Devon has been unable to view this contingent of Kobolds directly. By rights, he shouldn't even know they exist, let alone that he's been failing to observe them. However, Devon studies and uses his divinations to predict more then would be strictly RAW in D&D.

It's sorta like how astronomers look for exoplanets and black holes. He doesn't observe the events directly, but he can infer they're there, and that basic piece of knowledge can be built upon.

As such, he's vaguely aware of a group of Kobolds somehow immune to his divination magic. He also knows this group of Kobolds is actually highly dangerous, and seems to be keeping the war effort at a stalemate (Which is bad, as Kobolds are far better suited to a war of attrition than the Human lands, the Dwarven City-states, or the Gnomadic tribes).

Devon is fairly certain that whomever is leading The Bloodrose Legion is in possession of a minor artifact, a gift from Kurtulmak (the god of Kobolds). Devon will want the party to locate this object, and destroy it or capture it (He would rather it be captured so he can study it).

Leader of the Kobolds: Devon is also aware that some great force must have managed to unify and dominate the Kobold warrens. But the human Diviner has had no success in finding anything out. That's where Balasar came in. As a Dragonborn, it was assumed that he would be able to infiltrate and learn about the Kobolds.

Devon will hope that the Party can help in removing whatever is protecting the The Bloodrose Legion from his scrying. This will massively shift the war effort in the favor of the humans, and will make many of the tools he and Tearin were supposed to craft less necessary.

It'll also be such a huge victory that Devon is hopping no one (especially the Duchess) will notice that Tearin abandoned his post, buying the older human time to finish is business in Mistvail and return.

If everything goes well, the party will be heading North to steal a minor artifact from some Kobolds

Other Locations in the Capital

Four separate complexes surround the central building.

The Dormitory
The Southern building is the primary dormitory for students seeking to study and expand their knowledge of esoteric or occult nature. A vast majority are merely 1st or 2nd level Adepts, though there are some real Sorcerers and Wizards in the mix.

This is by far the largest building the Athenaeum owns. There is a large number of living quarters, communal areas, and "study rooms". Provided they can cover the cost of their room and bored, most residents spend two or three years here, teaching themselves the basics of magic under the supervision of other novices.

Residents are able to attend classes as they see fit, but instructors are not generally inclined to slow down/dumb down their lessons for newcomers- it is generally expected that you have spend the time and energy learning the basics. If you aren't willing to make the sacrifice to learn the basics, the faculty assumes you won't be able to handle to the more complex matters they teach you about, and they would rather you fail to make way for a more suitable spellcaster.

Special- Any creature with an Intelligence score of 10 or higher who spends a significant amount of time in the Athenaeum's dormitory (Typically a year) is able to make a Spellcraft check (DC 15). Upon success the creature learns Arcane Mark.

This is a stylized version of the spell- the bulk of the etching/mark is still personalized for the individual, but there is an additional element signifying that this version of the Mark was cast by a student/graduate of the dormitory.

Spontaneous casters add this to their list of spells know, and it does not count against the numbers of spells they can learn. Prepared spellcasters add this to the list of spells they can prepare from- A Cleric would simply be able to prepare this if she chose, while a Wizard would be able to add it to his spellbook for free. In addition, a wizard or other prepare caster who prepares spells from a specific item, is able to prepare Arcane Mark from memory just like how a Wizard can Prepare Read Magic from memory.

This stylized Arcane Mark is required to gain entry into the Athenaeum's main library.

The Bibliotheca
The Eastern building, predominantly a temple for Boccob, and to a lesser extent Wee Jas.

The First College
The Western building, home to many large rooms where classes on Arcane matters can be held. This is the primary "school" component. It also serves a bit like a guild, though even those spellcasters who manage to gain access to The First College are still only around levels 4-6ish.

Astraea Academy
The Northern complex, this is named after the ruler of the capital, and protector of the Realm, the Duchess Astraea. It serves as something like an officer school, meant to train military leaders and tacticians. This is the closest to a non-magical source of higher learning. Though, it is also a place where members of the armed forces can train in small pieces of magic (most likely gaining a level of War Sorcerer, duskblade, or somesuch)

The Athenaeum
The central building, this is the home of the largest library in this kingdom. It also serves as a repository for rear items, and a bit of a museum. It is also the headquarters for the 4th Rise, a loose alliance of magic users who span the continent. (Though many of the non-human members seem to be beyond the Duchess Astraea's authority)

https://i.imgur.com/hErjoTz.jpg

Zexionthefirst
2018-02-15, 05:19 AM
So, Nathiri's player and I had a text-based roleplay session of her finding and talking to Devon. This was done out of session so that I wouldn't have 3 players sitting around for an hour doing nothing (we normally only get about 2 to 3 hours to play, and I'd rather not focus such a large chunk of time on just one player if it can be helped).

Now, this was all sorta last minute. The player messaged me near midnight my time, and we were planning on playing a 4 pm the next day. So, at this point I had assumed this would be apart of the play session.

She is awoken by the sound of knocking, and the yipping and growling of the Druid's animal companion. She opens the door, as is met with a blonde haired human of maybe 19 years. He's wearing red robes, a darker red vest, while his undershirt is a softer almost pink.

They exchange some words, and it's not clear is he's being a bit racist against Nathiri (since she is a tiefling). However, this human (Nico Von Illiusveal) comes in for some breakfast. He uses some magic to write a letter (he pours some ink onto some parchment and uses prestidigitation to form the stain into sentences). With a second prestidigitation and an Arcane Mark, he seals the letter.

He tells Nathiri that this will get her a meeting with Devon at 2 pm that day, as asks her to tell him that Tearin has left. She agrees, and they chat for a bit longer.

When asking about the Dwarven Wizard Vakus Ashstone
“You know he was a Dwarven wizard. Balasar mentioned his death in the letter he sent you. He was one of the three most powerful spellcasters in the capital, tied with Balasar and Magragail for second.

“There were a few times when Ashstone would have come over to spend time with Balasar. Though it would have been earlier in your childhood. You would have been sent to bed due to it being past your bedtime by the time he showed up.”

When asking about Devon
“He is know as the Diviner Devon, though he is also considered the Head of the 4th Rise (this is an unofficial title though, as members are supposed to be considered equals. In theory).
“Everything is subjective though. For example, while Devon is widely considered the most powerful spell Caster in the capital, on a meta level he knows barely any attack spells. His first level spells and higher are all spells that deal no damage.
So someone like you are Balasar could kill him in a straight fight. But, the spells he does have access to allow him to do amazing things outside of combat.”

And when asking about her mentor, Balasar
“You would know of: acid Splash, ray of Frost, burning hands, magic Missile, shocking grasp, Scorch Ray, and you would figure he that's probably learned one or two other spells which would likely be offensive.
...Plus he can breathe lightning.”

After this, Nico leaves, and we do a time skip to 2pm. Nathiri heads to the Athenaeum and has her meeting with Devon. Skipping past a short introduction, the exchange mostly when like this (Indigo is me and Green is her)

Inside, you see a massive circular room. Unlike many other rooms insane belonging to wizards, this one is not filled with bookshelves and cupboards and knick-knacks. The walls of this room are completely bare, and in the center of the room you see a large wooden table. You take note of it's excessively polished surface, as well as the fact that Amir seems to be set into the top of the stable.

Standing nearby is a middle-aged human, Shaggy brown hair and beard. He looks clean, but his hair also looks like it hasn't been truly washed in sometime... you get the sense that he's been resorting to minor spells to keep himself clean, leaving his hair to look very flat.

"Yes, yes, come in. Look, you're here out of professional courtesy to Balasar. If you were anyone but that man's Apprentice, I wouldn't be giving you the time of day. Now! Make it quick, and try not to interrupt my work."

This man turns his back to you, seeming to be fully engrossed in the table at the center of the room.
Offhandly, he adds "Close the door once your in."

I shut the door behind me and say, "I just wish to know where exactly he has gone and why. I've been told it's to the north, and has something to do with the Kobolds, but other than that I know nothing. I would just like to make sure he is safe. He is very dear to me."

"Tell me, young one, what you know about Kobolds? Surely you at least know that they idolize and worship dragons. Not just dragons, but anything was True draconic Blood... well, their version of True blood, that is." He looks at you, squinting. I need you to make a will save.

(19)
(Total. Not natural)

You feel a slight tingling in the back of your head, like a soft itch at the base of your skull. After a moment, it's gone.

"You... you for example, despite your draconic ancestry, kobolds would not much care for you more than any other sorcerer. Balasar, however. Balasar looks and acts like a dragon. The perfect double agent."

"You.....sent him on a spy mission??" I take a moment to collect myself. "How long has he been gone and how much longer until he returns?"

"He's been gone for... around two weeks. We waited until Tearin arrived before sending him off. Between his magic, and his innate ability to be a Dragonborn, what with him being a Dragonborn, I felt it was the best use of his talents."

"The Scalebacks have become agitated many times throughout our history. But they've never been this organized, never caused this much chaos. Something is afoul here, something which my magic has not been capable of unraveling."
He pauses for a moment, then continues in a bit of a tirade, "Do you have any idea how FRUSTRATING it is! Every time I try they didn't answer, nothing. Not a failed spell, not some false conclusion. Literal nothingness. It takes powerful magical defenses to protect against the Spells I use. Stronger abjurations still to successfully block me. IT'S F*****G ANNOYING!"

"It certainly sounds like it. Has Fath--Balasar managed to send word back on what's going on up there yet?"

Having already started, he seems to be on a roll. The words just slip out. “No, why should anything ever be easy? “Oh, you're the strongest there is Devon, surly your magic can track the ENDLESS hordes of little lizards” she says. I tell you what, even my powers have limits! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF THOSE SCALEBACKS THERE ARE? THEY BREED LIKE F*****G RABBITS! But does anyone want to listen to me? No! All she wants is results! “If you were a loyal subject you would do this for me”"

After a moment, mainly to catch his breath, he looks at you. You can see the red veins of his bloodshot eyes and the black patches caused by lack of sleep. "No, no we haven't gotten word. He isn't supposed to send us anything unless he has a breakthrough, or there's an emergency... well, he did send us one piece of vital information"

Devon peers at you again. I need you to make a Diplomacy check, to see if he's going to trust you with this classified information.

(20, total.)

“He did confirm the existence of a group called the Bloodrose Legion. I can't scry on them. I can't find them or their general. But I can prove they're there by process of elimination. And Balasar confirmed they're real. They must be using some kind of artifact to cloak themselves from my spells. But we havn't heard from him since.”

"......it sounds like you could use some help. How long does it take for your apprentice to make message scrolls?"

He blinks at you for a second. You're not sure if he's confused by your question, though after a moment it becomes clear that he was doing the math. “It would take him a standard workday. Though the message spell has a very short range. And he is far too weak to cast the more powerful sending spell. And Whispering Wind is probably too far out of range. But... perhaps if you explain your idea, we could work to a conclusion? "

"It seems rather obvious to me that the Bloodrose Legion and the scalebacks are working together, and your source of information has gone silent, not to mention your usual methods aren't working. So you have no idea exactly what they're planning. I propose that I, along with a couple of my friends, head north and scout out what exactly is going on up there. Something....more covert than a double agent. And see if there's a way to undo whatever enchantment the Bloodrose Legion has that blocks your scrying spells. That way you don't continually waste your energy trying to break through it. We can send word back quickly once it's done so you can scry and give orders on what to do from there." I kinda shrug. "Plus, I need to talk to Balasar. It's not the best plan, and can certainly be worked on. But at least it's a start."

He nods for a moment. “Will you allow me a moment to cast a spell?”
From within the folds of his robes, Devon pulls out a series of Incense, lighting them as he beings to chant a long spell. Five minutes pass, and his chanting doesn't cease, yet he pulls out a small ruby from his pocket, which begins to glow bright, so bright that the red light turns white hot. As Devon completes his spell (taking 10 minutes total), the ruby shatters into a fine dust, and the wizards asks “Should Balasar's apprentice be sent upon this mission?”

(I need you to roll a percentile check)

(81?)

There is a moment of silence, things become so quite you can feel your own heartbeat in your ears. Then, you hear the faintest whisper, an answer just quite enough that you know it's there, but still too quite for you ever to be able to realistically hear.

“We have someone ready to deal with this. On Friday, head to the Flogging Kiever, in the East District. There will be an agent there, a freelancer we've hired to help find what I assume is an artifact. She'll have a red handkerchief. Approch her, and use the codeword Omega, she'll know you are suposed to be on her team.

Do... do try to keep my involment out of this. If any should try to scry upon me, I would hope that they would fail. But if they somehow succeed, I don't what them learning of your task by proxy."

(Sense motive check?)
(20 total if so)

(Sure. Is there anything that you're specifically looking for? Or just in general?)

(Just trying to make sure he's not trying to screw me over and double checking the 'don't let it be known I'm involved' thing)

He's pretty hard to read, you get the sense that he is fairly frazzled by the entire situation he's in. But, you don't sense any malicious intent. It all sounds fairly believable, and your gut feeling tells you he's being honest.

As for not wanting to be involved, you get the sense that when dealing with magic like his, if it became know that you were working for him, the enemy could scry on you rather than him, and it is much more likely that they would be able to successfully use divination magic to find out your location/goals.

"I understand. We'll do what we can. And....provided we actually accomplish something, a little compensation would be much appreciated. But we can talk about that when we return." I give him a short bow, like the one Nico gave me, and leave.
(.......what day of the week is it in game currently)

"Actually, on that note, the individual you'll be working with has already been given terms of compensation. They are aware that they would be a part of a team, and you would be entitled to a part of that compensation." Devon answered, breathing in the Wednesday air.

"Wonderful. Let's hope the next time I darken your doorstep, Diviner Devon, it's with good news and slain scalebacks."

So, that happened. I'll be starting the session at the same point as her adventure started, and see if the other players have anything they want to do. Then we'll skip to after Nathiri's meeting with Devon. Maybe over the next two days they'll want to delve into the sewers to help out that Gnome?

If so, they're get some adventure and exp. If not, they'll meet up with the new player, and head out on this new adventure. Either way, we'll be playing a full session in about 12 hours. I'll update then. :smallsmile:

Zexionthefirst
2018-02-18, 07:51 AM
We played on Thursday. Had some mild technical issues- apparently my phone can't do a conference call, so it took about 20 minutes to get everybody on the same chat line (three of my players are all in one room, but the new player was at her house). Which reminds me, we now have a Halfling Rouge.

Nixa (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1482100): Going into her intimidate backstory, I.e the past 7 days:

One of her contacts reached out to her with a job. A very high paying job. 6,000 gp, and the promise of magical assistance upon completion. The job was very straight forward- there is some group/organization of Kobolds which are in possession of some magic item which is shielding them from divination magic.

There are about 6 degrees of separation between Nixa and her employer. She is only aware of her contact, Jerdus Alour (an ageing human with a shaved head and a missing ear). Nixa doesn't know his contact, nor his contact's contact. Though, in the future she could attempt to unravel this.

Her contact specifically told Niza:

"Your goal is ganna be findin some kinda item. Something them scalebacks ot be protecting something fierce"

"We's don't know where these scalebacks are, though, ya know? Could bees they're anywhere. The north is a large place."

"But we's got a secret weapon. Went to an oracle, we's did. Been being told this is what you'll need to figure out where them scalebacks are."

And she was given this prophecy to help her figure out where she needs to go/what she needs to do to complete her mission:
“In that valley we do howl, the moon above the trees makes this our home.

In this place long since settled, our faith doth toll.

This ring must echo strong, before Pelor's crimson blight.

Then perhaps you may find your way, almost as a second sight.”

Now, the party had about two days of downtime, during which they did basically nothing. They then went and met up with Nixa. And that's where some problems started showing themselves.

I had talked with the player before hand, and given her relevant information about what was going on from an in character standpoint well in advance so that she would have plenty of time to review, and ask any followup questions she, as a player, might have. She was silent on the issue, but when it got the point where she was supposed to be introduced it became clear she didn't bother to read the blurb I sent her.

I have since talked with the player, and as long as I get the impression she's trying then I wont make a big deal about it. I've known her since high school, she's one of my best friends. So I know that she has hours more free time then I do each day. If I'm having to devote such a large chunk of what little free time I do have to running this, then I feel I'm right to expect her to devote 1 to 2 hours a week to reading and interacting with what I send her.

But, okay, rant over

Now, you may be asking "What's the deal with the prophecy?" Nixa was indirectly hired by Devon (the Divination specialist previously mentioned). However, given how important this mission is, and how critical it is the the Kobolds don't learn of it, he is doing everything he can to make sure that that there is no way someone using magic could easily connect Nixa to himself.

Further, Devon does not know where the magic item he needs is located. So, he used the spell Divination (which he cas access to via the Divine Oracle PrC). The spell gave him the aforementioned prophecy. Provided the party solve it, and follow it, they encounter the Bloodrose legion and have a chance to steal the Kobold's minor artifact.

Nixa was able to piece together that the first line was a reference to WolfDell, a North Eastern town. The group sets out immediately. One foot. Near the end of the day, they encounter a Gnomish woman who tells them they'll have to pay a tax to use this road. Nathiri attacks, 7 other gnomes reveal themselves, and a mugging is attempted.

Two of the Gnomes (a Rouge and an Adept) escape, the rest are taken down. The party does some looting, and continue on their way. They find a cave, make camp, and prepare for a rest. Then, from the depths of the cave an Elven woman approaches.

We end the session with her asking "Why are you in my cave?"

SpamCreateWater
2018-03-04, 11:53 PM
I like that Prestidigitation (assuming that's the minor spell) has a noticeably different effect from actual hygiene routines.

I really like text-based sessions every so often. I find it gives me, or the players, an easier medium to explain and act out the character and allows the person to more fully engage with the mindset and delve deeper into their reasons for doing things.

Zexionthefirst
2018-03-31, 07:11 PM
Okay, it's been a while. We've had four sessions (8-11) since my last post. And we'll be having session 12 this coming Monday. So, I'll try to do a quick recap of what's happened:

Session 8 opened with the continuation of the confrontation with the cave Elf.

While there seemed to be several moments where combat would brake out, and just as many moments where the Elf would allow the party to rest within the cave for the night, eventually she had a mild heart to heart with Sai'den where she implied that she was one of the Druids of Mistvail. She confided that the circle had been picked off by Uin'Aquar and her servants.

Upon revealing the scar under her breast, which Sai'den recognized as a strange bear attack, the Elf talked about how she was left for "dead", and then found by the Hag. She made a deal with the hag, and her life was spared... but she was infected with some new strain of Lycanthropy what was a bit more spidery then normal.

Reveling that the party would be in danger if they were nearby when the Elf's monstrous master awoke, Sai'den took an incredibly smart action and evacuated the cave. (It should be noted that this cave, and the Elf inside, are less then a full day's travel from the Capital. And Sai'den has relieved that the elf is a Werespider, as well as explained what Lycanthropy to anyone who did not know what it is.)

Later, Nixa told the party of the riddle she had been given:

"In that valley we do howl, the moon above the trees makes this our home.
In this place long since settled, our faith doth toll.
This ring must echo strong, before Pelor's crimson blight.
Then perhaps you may find your way, almost as a second sight.”

The party talked about this, figuring that they may need to look for a church bell before the next lunar eclipse. Only time and study will tell if this is accurate.

The group finds itself roughly 52 miles away from WolfDell, their destination, at the end of a long day of travel. The see a roadside inn, and a sign with the flaking picture of a Salmon with butterfly wings.

Ivorauth also had a brief flashback- he was on the ground, his face stinging, with a human standing over him offering him a hand. He does not remember who this human was, nor how he reacted to this first kindness shown him.

The 8th session had two main goals. First, to tie in the events of Mistvail with this newer story arc. To let the players know that both the Had and the River Spirit were still important. Heck, it looks like the one of the Hag's schemes has made it further than the capital.

The second goal was to give the Druid subplot some more meat. The whole reason Sai'den is adventuring is to find his mother, who he knows traveled to the Mistvail Druids some time before the events of the game. However... the player didn't think to ask about his mum while talking with the Elf. It dawned on him just after we finished the session, but by then it was too late.

It should be noted that, at this point, the players are under the impression that the prophecy is directing them to WolfDell, to some bell of Pelor. They also seem to think things are related to the moon cycle.

The group settles in for the night, rests, and sets out the next morning. About five hours into their travel, they come across a bridge. On the other side, they see a pack of Krenshar and an overturned wagon. After being spotted, combat ensued. About 2 rounds in, the Krenshar Alpha lumbered forth.

I had thrown on extra hit dice to advance it to Large size, but overall the fight was pretty one sided. The group did some looting of the wagon, and settled down for a short rest.

Not much really happened in this session, aside some combat. There was a bit of roleplay at the start, but mostly this was me setting up the next session, to show them that they wouldn't always be able to limit themselves to one mild fight a day.

Taking a moment to recuperate from the conflict with the Krenshar, the party finds itself set upon by a strange plant like monster with three vine like tentacles.

The vines seemed to have a powerful ability to animate nearby plant life, almost simulating the effects of Entanglement. Though this monster lacked the intelligence to utilize such a tactical advantage.

Ivorauth quickly found himself on death's doorstep, and a majority of the party followed suit. As combat wore on, Sai'den found himself in need of the mystical powers know only to badger-kind.

Sadly, this mystical knowledge did not include instructions on how to on how to no get murderified- With a well placed bite, the plant monster brought Sai'den down to -8 HP, and Nathiri was quick to follow.

With some quick action on Ivorauth's part, the monster was slain. If some quick thinking on Nixa's part, Nathiri was brought back to contentiousness with a well placed Potion of Bear's Endurance which temperately boosted her her Constitution enough to give her 8 hit points... until the potion wore off.

The battle seemingly completed, the party finishes their short rest, healthy but lacking resources. With quite a bit of road still left to travel.

This was the first real use of Wild Shape. Now, if you're new here, my group is using an amalgamation of 3.5 and 5E rules (with smatterings of Pathfinder and 4th). So, how we're running Wild Shape is "You regain HP equal to your Druid Level. You may also expend Hit Dice as though we finished a Short rest, but only to heal".

Sai'den turned into a Dire Badger. It was pretty cool, but he still took a well timed hit and was drooped. Nathiri has just made the dissension to withdraw. But her player told me "When I show him drop, there's no way she could have ran away." If I recall correctly, she only had first level spells left, and she closed in to cast Shocking Grasp.

Nathiri ended up getting knocked down to Negatives too. It should have happened sooner, and the monk should have gone down too. But I messed up and wasn't using the Plant monster's full attacks.

I modified an Assassin vine for the monster. It was three assassin vines connected to a main body. Each vine had its own HP, but any damage they took was also subtracted from the main body's HP. This was the first real fight they had to deal with, and I think it helped set the tone.

They're leaving the tutorial, and the further they go the more dangerous things are going to get. Nixa's player also took the ACF that traded her Trap Sense for the ability to deal half her sneak attack to creature that are normally immune.

Nixa also has a simi-custom item that allows her to double her movement speed for a round a few times a day..

Session 11
Finishing their rest, the party sets out. They continue their journey, making camp as needed. After two day of additional travel, the party makes it to the outskirts of WolfDell.

Upon finding the Foaming Bass inn, Nathiri has a brief encounter with the innkeeper, ending in screaming and a half-elf loosing a gold.

As the rest head to bed, Ivorath stays much a bit longer and learns more about the town:

5 years ago, Lady Drysel fell ill. It's uncertain if she kept it to herself, or if she was unaware until it was too late. She died, and her husband was distraught.

He abandoned the town, and his duty. Soon after, people began disappearing.

Just one or two every few months. Then the Clerics of Wee Jas (Tasked with guarding Haden's Last Rest) vanished.

The next day, the party did some shopping, Ivorauth learned what a disappointment he was to his mother. They finally make their way to the Temple of Pelor.

Ivorauth is recognized by Cameron Drysel, who offers to help try and restore the Monk's memories. The rest of the party is shooed out of the temple after helping to light the torches.

Nixa heads straight back to the inn. Nathiri and the druid attempt to get the lay of the land, and end up getting lost. Eventually the two make their way back to the inn, and decide to stop in for a bite to eat.

Ivorauth is tricked into being paralyzed, and the last thing he hears is "I'm sorry my old friend. But Lidiana will be heartbroken when she learns you forgot us."

And this is where we left off on Friday. We breezed through the rest of the travel because I wanted this to be a social/rp session.

Sadly, due to time constraints and some audio issues (3 of the players are in the same location, so their microphone picks up all of their audio at the same time. Making it hard to deal with their side conversations), I wasn't able to do as much as I wanted.

I had wanted Cameron to recount events that happened while he and Ivorauth were at the monastery together. For the cleric to get gradually more disheartened, more annoyed, more angry as his friend continued to not remember him. This eventually leads Cameron to give up, and Ivorauth.

He reveals (or at least implies) that his dead wife is still around, and is going to be upset that Ivorauth doesn't remember them.

I'll most likely either right a short blurb about how all this went down, or Ivorauth's player and I will role play it via text.

Everything was set up pretty nicely for Monday's session, which will be mostly combat, a dungeon crawl through a tomb to rescue the party monk.