PDA

View Full Version : Gamer's Dice Travelling Chest - Forum interest

lt_murgen
2018-01-30, 04:03 PM
Decades ago, a Friendly Local Gaming Store had a clear plastic bin full of dice. Anyone playing games could take up to 5 dice from the bin, free. The only catch was that they had to donate one more die back into the bin than they took.

I passed by that storefront a short while back. The FLGS is gone, but the memories remain. And it got me thinking.

Would anyone be interested in a travelling version of this? You receive the box in the mail. You get to take up to 5 dice, as long as you refill the box with 1 more die than you took. Then you mail it to the next person on the list. I wouldn't mind starting this off by tossing 20 or so dice into a box and mailing it off. But really without significant interest (30 people, maybe) I don't know if it makes sense. Some rules would be needed to avoid it becoming a box of yatzee dice and nothing else. There also is the issue of the 'final exchange' who would end up with lots of dice. We would have to agree to donate them to some gaming con as prize support, maybe?

Any thoughts?

Jay R
2018-01-30, 07:21 PM
I spend a fair amount of money on interesting new dice.

But no, I would not pay the cost of mailing a lot of dice for the pleasure of getting some dice that the previous owner didn't want.

Knaight
2018-01-30, 07:35 PM
But no, I would not pay the cost of mailing a lot of dice for the pleasure of getting some dice that the previous owner didn't want.

This also sums up my thoughts. The general concept of the dice trade is fun, and in the context of a shared physical location it works. Postage starts bad and gets worse if it's made long distance, which completely ruins the implementation.

D+1
2018-01-30, 09:09 PM
Yeah, even if everyone followed the "rules" and only took their allotted 5 dice, very quickly indeed you would wind up with a box of nothing but CHEAP, ordinary d6's.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-30, 09:21 PM
As a service? No. As a party game? That makes more sense. Sort of like a white elephant type of thing. It would make for a fun party for a gaming group over the holidays and beats arguing with relatives!