PDA

View Full Version : Warlock "Armor of Shadows"

SylvanPrincess
2018-01-30, 04:40 PM
This says (Armor of Shadow) I can cast Mage Armor at will, but what does it look like? Mage Armor has little or no visable effect, but it feels like Armor of Shadows would have some sort of, you know, shadowyness to it right? I know DnD is all about how you flavor things, but RAW suggests that Shadow Armor being Mage Armor would have no visable effect. Thoughts? I dont nessecarily think it has to be swirling shadows, but maybe just casting a darker shade to my overall coloration? I guess I should just ask the DM lol! Would still love thoughts though. Peace

SylvanPrincess
2018-01-30, 05:20 PM
How does somebody delete their thread?

Nemenia
2018-01-31, 12:36 AM
You dont have to delete it, It will eventually get lost, but there was nothing wrong with your question

To put it plainly, you were right. DND is all about flavor. Its called shadows because shadow is a great flavor description for a warlock ability, however it can be entirely up to you what you look like when you activate it. Colorful lights, lasers, magic plate armor. Thats what DnD is all about!

Malifice
2018-01-31, 12:38 AM
It looks like whatever you want it to look like.

Glowing hellish armor. Whisps of Shadow. In intangible force field. Devlish scales covering your body.

Fluff it how you want.

Dr. Cliché
2018-01-31, 07:58 AM
As above, I think you're pretty much free to have it look however you want. The name certainly suggests that the armour look dark/shadowy.

You could perhaps base it on your patron. e.g.
- A Fey patron may have armour resembling dark, shifting ice.
- A Fiend patron's armour could be spiked or appear to be decorated with screaming mouths and claws.
- A Great Old One patron's armour could be covered in eyes, or appear to be made of oily tentacles that sprout from the wearer's back and wrap around him.

bc56
2018-01-31, 08:28 AM
For the most part, fluff is whatever you want. If you want, your mage armor can be glowing translucent plate mail appearing over your normal clothes. It could be an energy field or a shroud of unnatural darkness. It doesn't really matter.

SylvanPrincess
2018-01-31, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! I will have to work on my DM, he viewed it as RAW, said it has no appearance because it is essentially just Mage Armor, as per the description :(

Tanarii
2018-01-31, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! I will have to work on my DM, he viewed it as RAW, said it has no appearance because it is essentially just Mage Armor, as per the description :(
Nothing in the Mage Armor RAW says it isn't visible. I mean, nothing says it's visible either. RAW says "protective magical force". That could be visible or not visible.

Dr. Cliché
2018-01-31, 01:22 PM

Is there a point to his ruling?

I mean, the armour does the same thing regardless of what it looks like. :smallconfused: