PDA

View Full Version : creative work arounds

vasilidor
2018-01-30, 05:31 PM
In one game I played I was a solo ranger who had found an old dungeon in the wood. there was a single entrance leading down into it and it was filled to the brim with traps. my character's perception was high enough to see most of the traps without much difficulty but i had no ranks in any skill that would straight up bypass them. so I played lumberjack. I would chop down a tree, cut it into 500 lb sections and drop them onto the traps. the spike pits were bridged, spring blades jammed etc.
anyone have similar experiences?

Cicciograna
2018-01-30, 08:06 PM
The good old "roll a barrel through the corridor" is a staple of the genre.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-30, 09:13 PM
Have a dungeon filled with horrible monsters and dangerous traps? Collapse the dungeon. Rocks Fall, enemies die.

Matrota
2018-01-31, 02:49 PM
I often use low level summon monster x to be test dummies in a trapped room. That or a tenser's floating disk. The disk must stay within 5 feet of you, but cannot go more than a couple feet off the ground. If you're walking with it in front of you and it vanishes, then there's an illusory floor/trap in front of you.

That or you do like I did as a stupid build and optimize a save-based character with mettle and evasion and just skip down the hall, triggering every trap and dodging/tanking through it all.

chimaeraUndying
2018-01-31, 03:15 PM
Have a dungeon filled with horrible monsters and dangerous traps? Collapse the dungeon. Rocks Fall, enemies die.

Can't really extract the treasure easily, though, unless you've got someone with ground-penetrating detect magic (or the less-existant detect money)