PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary Concentration + Call Lighting

Yogibear41
2018-01-30, 05:57 PM
Can I use the feat Extraordinary Concentration in conjunction with the Call Lightning feat to call several lightning bolts per round instead of the normal limit of 1?

For example can I call down 1 as a swift action, then 1 as a move action, then 1 as a standard action (assuming I make the concentration checks)

Or am I limited to only 1 per round even if I can call one down as a swift action?

If this feat doesn't work, is there another feat that will allow me to do this?

Daefos
2018-01-30, 06:13 PM
Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage.?

Unfortunately, nothing about shifting around the action you use to concentrate on the spell bypasses that line.

tyckspoon
2018-01-30, 06:18 PM
Just one per round - that's pretty clear from the spell, as that restriction is mentioned a couple of times separate from the standard action concentration line. I'm not sure if the spell requires concentration of the kind the Extraordinary Concentration feat refers to; it may just mean concentration like is needed to cast a spell in the first place (ie, if you're taking damage or otherwise being disrupted you need to make a Concentration check to call the lightning bolt. Stupid D&D word re-use..) and the necessary action is always a Standard.

That said, I'd lean toward allowing it, again subject to one bolt/round even if you can get it to a Swift concentration.

Yogibear41
2018-01-30, 06:39 PM
Oh well, was working on a possible Blaster Urban Druid build, and other than Disintegrate, the call lightnings are basically the only damage spells. Guess I will have to re-think my strategy.

icefractal
2018-01-30, 10:02 PM
Oh well, was working on a possible Blaster Urban Druid build, and other than Disintegrate, the call lightnings are basically the only damage spells. Guess I will have to re-think my strategy.Check out Frostburn; lots of good Druid blasting in there.

Also, Call Lightning Storm is a separate spell, so you could have both running at once for two bolts / round.

Yogibear41
2018-01-30, 11:01 PM
Only spells an Urban Druid gets are in the Dragon Compendium, so frost burn is only for normal druids.