PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Bayek of Siwa - Beastmaster Ranger

Arkhios
2018-01-31, 12:44 AM
Let's face it. Bayek is clearly a ranger in 5e terms, and definitely shares a deep bond with Senu the eagle, to the point that Senu is clearly his beast companion, justifying Beast Master (PHB version) as his archetype.

Bayek seems to be strong and agile, but also somewhat fragile (he can't stand many heavy blows).

His ranger spells are subtle and mostly beast-related. Animal Friendship, Beast Bond, Beast Sense, Speak with Animals, Locate Animals and Plants, Locate Objects, and the like.

As for fighting style, I'd say it's either Defense or Archery, because Bayek is equally comfortable in melee with sword and board as he is with bows at range.

With point-buy, and standard human, I would put his stats array as Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10, because Bayek is definitely a versatile character and isn't particularly focused in anything to justify variant human.

ASI's would probably go to increase STR and DEX each at least by 2; DEX might get increased by 4. Bayek might have Sharpshooter, though, which would justify choosing Archery style over Defense style.
Medium Armor Master is also a possibility, because the armor is said to be breastplate in-game. But the armor itself looks a lot more like leather or studded leather to me.

All in all, I'd be comfortable with only using Studded Leather and Shield, because with DEX 18 or 20 his AC would still be quite alright at 18 or 19.

As of Bayek's alignment, definitely Lawful Good. He is disciplined and lives to serve and protect the weak.
Even though he kills people, like the rest of the assassins he kills only those who deserve it.

What do you think?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-31, 07:25 AM
I'd argue that Senu is more of a familiar-- I mean, the major mechanic is "see through his eyes," after all. Ranger seems about right otherwise, though.

Arkhios
2018-02-01, 06:51 AM
I'd argue that Senu is more of a familiar-- I mean, the major mechanic is "see through his eyes," after all. Ranger seems about right otherwise, though.

That might be slightly better, yes, but I just don't see a reason to take neither magic initiate nor Ritual Caster feats as Bayek only because of a familiar, when ranger can accomplish the same tricks with their own spells and a beast companion. Besides, Bayek could learn the ability to get Senu to harrass his targets. As a beast companion, Senu wouldn't be as big of a liability than a 3 HP familiar.

Throne12
2018-02-01, 08:43 AM
I'll say he's a human Battlemaster Fighter with magic Initiative feat. Cantrips are firebolt for Those little fire booms, and poison spray for poison darts. Then find familiar for Senu.

Other then killing bird's and Distracting enemy's, and scouting for you. Senu don't attack. A familiar work perfectly for this.

Bayek is a skilled fighter hence why Battlemaster works your tripping, Swiping, Cleaving, smashing, dodging, Parry,

PaxZRake
2018-02-01, 08:56 AM
The tough thing about Bayek is that he's however you play him.

My Bayek does not fight hand to hand, he either sneaks up on someone and assassinates them or her snipes them from long range with his bow. If he gets noticed he drops smoke and waits to find a better opportunity to strike.

I play him like a very athletic Rogue.

Arkhios
2018-02-01, 09:24 AM

My Bayek does not fight hand to hand, he either sneaks up on someone and assassinates them or her snipes them from long range with his bow. If he gets noticed he drops smoke and waits to find a better opportunity to strike.

Sure, but I've played him so far that he has nearly all the abilities, and the way I see Bayek is that he is very versatile. As a ranger can be.

Throne12
2018-02-01, 09:47 AM

I play him as a sniper and a Cavalier.

If I'm not sneaking around sniping people with my Predator bow. I'm riding my horse in and out of a Crowd of enemys swing a weapon the heavy mace works well.