PDA

View Full Version : Spell Choice and Gold in Curse of Strahd

NecessaryWeevil
2018-01-31, 01:45 AM
Hi, I'm noticing that gold is very scarce in Barovia and my DM tells me it's likely to stay that way.

We've obtained a certain object that inconveniences vampires in Vallaki and so are level 6. I'm a 5th level Celestial Warlock and have my eye on Revivify but balking at the 300 gp price tag. Has this been an issue for anyone else? How did you handle it?

(Keep any spoilers extremely vague, please)

Thanks!

[PS This is one of my pet peeves with 5E...everyone says, "Oh, there's no magic mart anymore, once you've got your plate armour you're pretty much set" and the DM goes, "Oh, right then, I don't have to worry about handing out gold anymore" and the casters with their expensive spell components are left with a bunch of class features they can't use.]

ad_hoc
2018-01-31, 01:58 AM
There is nothing to spend gold on in CoS.

This is by design. The PC's goal is survival, not fame and fortune. The land is controlled by Strahd and is in decay.

Keep in mind that Revivify doesn't cost 300gp, it costs 300gp worth of diamonds. You can't just go buy diamonds.

Also, CoS is a sandbox. When my table ran it the PCs were 3rd level in Vallaki. Where and when things happen is dynamic. It will be different in different playthroughs, mostly because of the different Tarokka readings.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-01-31, 02:03 AM
So, in short, choosing a spell with costly components is a waste of a spell slot in Curse of Strahd?

Cespenar
2018-01-31, 03:26 AM
Ask your DM about your plans of getting Revivify and searching around for diamonds like a mini-side-quest and his/her thoughts about it.

ad_hoc
2018-01-31, 04:06 AM
So, in short, choosing a spell with costly components is a waste of a spell slot in Curse of Strahd?

Even with access to diamonds I probably still wouldn't take it on a Warlock. They don't get a lot of known spells.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-01-31, 12:14 PM
Ask your DM about your plans of getting Revivify and searching around for diamonds like a mini-side-quest and his/her thoughts about it.
It's worth a try. Thanks.

Even with access to diamonds I probably still wouldn't take it on a Warlock. They don't get a lot of known spells.
Yeah, you're not wrong, but I wanted to try a warlock and every two or three characters I want to play the healer, sooo...the other characters are a monk, a paladin and a druid, so stealing from the Grim Reaper is up to me until at least 9th level.

We've already had our first character death and are negotiating with a certain very creepy person to bring him back.