PDA

View Full Version : Abusing a ring of spell storing

Quoz
2018-01-31, 05:23 AM
Pure theory crafting here, what are the best ways to use and abuse a ring of spell storing in a party? My favourite so far are the spells Find Familiar and later Find Greater Steed (best on a bard via magic secrets, Paladins get it way too late in the game) to give everyone flying, spell sharing mounts.

Warlocks have great synergy, recharging the ring at the start of each short rest gets a lot more mileage out of it.

There have to be other abuses. At low levels granting hex or hunters Mark to a monk or other multiattack martial could be fun, but not game changing. Getting a concentration spell to non casters, like haste or swift quiver on an archer is better.

I don't know whether a sorcerer metamagic works for storing the spell or to modify a spell cast from the ring. Also fairly sure you can't convert a stored spell to sorcery points or burn them for divine Smites.

So what other tricks, in theory or used at your tables, can you think of to abuse this peculiar item?

Gardakan
2018-01-31, 05:35 AM
You can only store a certain amount of spell slots at a certain time.

It's not likely you can pre-store a lot of continuous spells to cast in such a fashion.

Ring of spell storing adds an economy of a level 3 spell slot if you fill it and rest. That's how it is.

Same goes for a pearl of power. They tone down the magic a lot in 5e, for the greater good.

You can give any spell of level 3 and lowers to anybody. I can't think of a Warrior who would not be happy with a Ring of Spell Storing containing a Dispel Magic or something to counteract magic in some sort.

EKruze
2018-01-31, 08:04 AM
So what other tricks, in theory or used at your tables, can you think of to abuse this peculiar item?

There are a handful of spells which are practically class abilities that a Ring of Spell Storing allows you to share with your party. A few examples include spells like Find Familiar, Find (Greater) Steed which after a few swaps will allow everyone in the party to have their own.

XmonkTad
2018-01-31, 08:15 AM
There aren't a lot of spells that last for long enough to really be abusable. Magic Mouth hasn't been mentioned, but it's does have some wonderful uses (look up the arcane programmer). Just one of them is pretty limited though.

There are lots of useful spells though!

Gardakan
2018-01-31, 11:25 AM
There aren't a lot of spells that last for long enough to really be abusable. Magic Mouth hasn't been mentioned, but it's does have some wonderful uses (look up the arcane programmer). Just one of them is pretty limited though.

There are lots of useful spells though!

A ring of spell storing with Dispel Magic on another member of the party that doesn't cast spells is always something pretty efficient.

sithlordnergal
2018-01-31, 11:36 AM
You can only store a certain amount of spell slots at a certain time.

It's not likely you can pre-store a lot of continuous spells to cast in such a fashion.

Ring of spell storing adds an economy of a level 3 spell slot if you fill it and rest. That's how it is.

Same goes for a pearl of power. They tone down the magic a lot in 5e, for the greater good.

You can give any spell of level 3 and lowers to anybody. I can't think of a Warrior who would not be happy with a Ring of Spell Storing containing a Dispel Magic or something to counteract magic in some sort.

I think you're thinking of the Ioun(?) Stone that stores spells. A Ring of Spell Storing can store up to 5th level spells while the Stone can only store up to 3rd.

Zene
2018-01-31, 11:48 AM
1) (as noted) Giving everyone in the party a familiar, a found steed, and a found greater steed. Also works with any level-5-or-under self-only buff. Give a friend Armor of Agathys, for example. If you get a ring with the harmonious minor property (possible in AL), give everyone in the party Armor of Agathys! (Or whatever)

2) Giving your familiars and steeds familiars and steeds, until you have an army of octopuses riding dire wolves

3) Casting stuff subtly (spells cast from the ring have no v/s components)

4) Casting stuff into it that’d benefit from a sorcerer’s metamagic but isn’t on their spell list...then handing it to your sorcerer friend

5) Double up on concentration buffs. Example: You cast Haste on yourself. Your familiar casts Greater Invis on you from the ring, then books it away from the battle as fast as possible. Double concentration! (Go absolutely nuts with this by getting 3 rings of spell storing, Giving your familiar a familiar a familiar, have them all cast buffs on you, also get a shield guardian and have it cast, and then have your own buff on yourself. 5 simultaneous concentration spells!)

Zene
2018-01-31, 11:49 AM
I think you're thinking of the Ioun(?) Stone that stores spells. A Ring of Spell Storing can store up to 5th level spells while the Stone can only store up to 3rd.

I think Shield guardians are also capped at 3rd level spell storing. Could be thinking of that

dejarnjc
2018-01-31, 11:55 AM
1) (as noted) Giving everyone in the party a familiar, a found steed, and a found greater steed. Also works with any level-5-or-under self-only buff. Give a friend Armor of Agathys, for example. If you get a ring with the harmonious minor property (possible in AL), give everyone in the party Armor of Agathys! (Or whatever)

2) Giving your familiars and steeds familiars and steeds, until you have an army of octopuses riding dire wolves

I personally would never allow anyone but a paladin of sufficient level to gain anything from casting find steed / greater steed buuuuut if you did do this w/ a party of 4 you could

1) Give everyone a familiar and a find greater steed (can't have found steed + found greater steed it's in the spell description).

2) Have a druid cast Conjure animals at a 5th level into the ring and give paladin ring to attune.

3) Paladin summons 16 CR 1/4 creatures

4) Druid casts Animal Shapes on 4 PCs + 4 familiars + 4 steeds + 16 conjured animals = 28 CR 4 beasts on the table. Could definitely combo this with another summoner for even more CR 4 beasts but I'm too lazy to calculate that. Technically you might be able to combo this with a necro wizard's skeletons but I wouldn't personally allow that either.

Zene
2018-01-31, 12:30 PM
I personally would never allow anyone but a paladin of sufficient level to gain anything from casting find steed / greater steed buuuuut if you did do this w/ a party of 4 you could

1) Give everyone a familiar and a find greater steed (can't have found steed + found greater steed it's in the spell description).

2) Have a druid cast Conjure animals at a 5th level into the ring and give paladin ring to attune.

3) Paladin summons 16 CR 1/4 creatures

4) Druid casts Animal Shapes on 4 PCs + 4 familiars + 4 steeds + 16 conjured animals = 28 CR 4 beasts on the table. Could definitely combo this with another summoner for even more CR 4 beasts but I'm too lazy to calculate that. Technically you might be able to combo this with a necro wizard's skeletons but I wouldn't personally allow that either.

Very cool, but I believe that summoned creatures/animal shapes combo is maxed out even better using Tiny Servant. There’s a thread or two on it somewhere, theorycrafting the upper limit.

XmonkTad
2018-01-31, 06:10 PM
A ring of spell storing with Dispel Magic on another member of the party that doesn't cast spells is always something pretty efficient.

I mean, yes that's quite efficient and useful. Not an abuse really though. The spells that start looking more like exploits when stored and used by other party members are the (essentially) permanent ones.

sambojin
2018-01-31, 06:39 PM
Not really proper abuse, but chucking Good Berries in there might be useful. They last 24 hrs, so you can cast your healing for tomorrow, yesterday (instead of today, like normal good berries).

Give it to your life cleric to cast them out of for Best Berry abuse. It's still 200HP minimum out-of-combat healing, that's storable for 24hrs, in nice little chunks so you don't overheal. So not exactly bad, and it saves a druid multiclassing for the ability.

Would also work for Healing Spirit cha-cha trains, I think.

Tekren
2020-11-01, 06:45 PM
It would need a bit of RP, but putting Fabricate in there and letting a goldsmith attune to it could turn gold bars into gold art objects pretty quick- just make sure you get his daily rate.

Peelee
2020-11-01, 07:09 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The ring cannot store the Raise Thread spell.