PDA

View Full Version : Extra Spell Feat and Tarth Moorda

Zaeris
2018-01-31, 09:35 AM
Hello! I am new here, so apologize if I make a mistake, but I just wanted to post something I found. In the free web enhancement Tarth Moorda, on page 11 and 12, it shows an NPC with the Extra Spell Feat(accuracy). The NPC is Bendrik Sogoth. He is a Fighter 4/Sorcerer 3/Suel Arcanamach 6. If I am not mistaken, accuracy does not appear on any of those spell lists, as it is a Wu Jin and Warmage spell. I'm not sure how "official" web enhancements are, but I just wanted to share my find.

Vaern
2018-01-31, 10:33 AM
He also has Hail of Stone, which is a warmage/wu jen spell. The web enhancement is featured on the Wizards site and has their copyright information all over the front page, so I think it's fair to say it can be considered official. It's also dated 2004, which means it had to have been released pretty much alongside Complete Arcane, which was published in November of 2004 and contains the feat and spells in question.
It's possible that, at the time the book and the web enhancement were being prepared for release, the spells were available to sorcerers and wizards, but were taken away at before printing so that the warmage and wu jen had more unique spells to make them more appealing.
It is also possible that the author of the web enhancement may have thought that Extra Spell could be used to gain access to spells from another class's list, since the feat itself does not actually specify that the spell must be on your class spell list. Perhaps the creator of the feat itself had also intended for this to be the case, with the feat specifically mentioning that a wizard might take the feat to gain a spell that the character doesn't have access to. Bendrik's extra spells would make perfect sense if we assume that the author interpreted the feat description as such. I believe that it has since been officially ruled, though, that the extra spell must be chosen from your class spell list.

Elkad
2018-01-31, 10:51 AM
The Extra Spell feat doesn't say anything about the spell being on your class list.
Looks like a valid use to me.

There is no errata to say different. There is an FAQ post, but those are a disaster in general.

Malimar
2018-01-31, 11:39 AM
It's a battle between famously terrible-and-wrong FAQ rulings and famously terrible-and-wrong NPC statblocks!

Fizban
2018-01-31, 11:57 AM
We can all save some time here and just say: the answer is whatever your DM says it is. 'Cause weather or not there's some tiny shred of explanation one way or the other, the way your DM feels about letting people learn spells off their list is what actually answers the question.

Malimar
2018-01-31, 01:14 PM
I use house rulings that lets Extra Spell pick off other lists while making it not game-breaking:

If you have the ability to learn a spell from any spell list (e.g. by taking the Extra Spell feat), and the spell you wish to select appears on multiple lists, use the spell level of the first list it appears on of the following: sorcerer/wizard, cleric base list, druid, bard, paladin, ranger, any other base class, any cleric domain, any prestige class.
No cheesing Trapsmith to get spells early.

Zaeris
2018-01-31, 03:36 PM
Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. I found it neat when I found it and wanted to share.

Thurbane
2018-01-31, 04:00 PM
We can all save some time here and just say: the answer is whatever your DM says it is. 'Cause weather or not there's some tiny shred of explanation one way or the other, the way your DM feels about letting people learn spells off their list is what actually answers the question.

Quoted for truthiness.