PDA

View Full Version : Jack Sparrow Stats

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 10:20 AM
So for various reasons I have wanted to make a character based around Jack Sparrow. Heres what I have so far. I rolled for stats and got 10 11 12 16 16 17.

Class 7th level swashbuckler rogue. Human (variant) Background: Sailor (pirate)
AC 16 (leather armor)
HP 50 (7d8 +7)
Str 11 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Con 13 (+1) Int 16 (+3) Wis 10 (0) Cha 16 (+3)
+1 to dex and con
skills Acrobatics, stealth, deception, persuasion, slight of hand, athletics, perception.
Saving Throws: Dexterity. Intelligence
with Expertise on deception and acrobatics
Proficiency modifier +3
Passive perception 10

Sneak Attack 4d6
Thieves’ Cant
Cunning Action
Roguish Archetype: Swashbuckler
Ability Score Improvement: Dex
Uncanny Dodge
Evasion
Fancy footwork
Rakish Audacity
he has the lucky feat
His important items include his hat, his compass which points to his greatest desire, a pistol and 1 shot, (1d10 pi) cutlass (1d8 pi) 20 CP

Extra Attack
Pistol 1d10 pi +8
Cutlass (rapier) 1d8 +8

Proficiencies
Navigator's Tools, Thieves tools.
Did I miss anything?

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-31, 10:30 AM
Don't forget that Sailor gives you proficiency in: Athletics, Perception, Navigator's Tools, and Water Vehicles. And not sure if you'd want to go with the optional Pirate background feature or not.

I would also make sure to give him a few bags of flour to spray in people's faces, and a jar of dirt.

Edit -> Slight of Hand might be a good proficiency to try to sneak in there as well somehow. I would almost say to drop Deception. Most of his social graces come from trying to persuade people that they want to do something, not so much lying to them (at least from what I remember). And remember, most of his deception attempts tend to fail.

TIPOT
2018-01-31, 10:34 AM
He's shown to be pretty good at pick-pocketing so maybe training in sleight of hand? Variant human gets a bonus skill which I don't believe you picked yet.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 10:38 AM
He's shown to be pretty good at pick-pocketing so maybe training in slight of hand? Variant human gets a bonus skill which I don't believe you picked yet.

Oh thanks I didn't know how variant worked except the feat and +1 to two stats. As for the slight of hand I had written this all out before this and I forgot about slight of hand thanks!

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 10:40 AM
Don't forget that Sailor gives you proficiency in: Athletics, Perception, Navigator's Tools, and Water Vehicles. And not sure if you'd want to go with the optional Pirate background feature or not.

I would also make sure to give him a few bags of flour to spray in people's faces, and a jar of dirt.

Edit -> Slight of Hand might be a good proficiency to try to sneak in there as well somehow. I would almost say to drop Deception. Most of his social graces come from trying to persuade people that they want to do something, not so much lying to them (at least from what I remember). And remember, most of his deception attempts tend to fail.

Oh I don't know how i forgot about the background I will add that now. I also forgot languages. AND HP AND AC HOW COULD I FORGET SOMETHING SO OBVOUS!!!

the_brazenburn
2018-01-31, 10:48 AM
Why does he have 15 shots? He only has one, and he's been saving it for Barbossa, so maybe he shouldn't get a pistol attack. Or just leave that in the flavor text.

And the jar of dirt can be a refluffed Amulet of Protection: Abberations (assuming Davy Jones is a mind flayer and his crew are sea spawn...).

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 10:54 AM
Why does he have 15 shots? He only has one, and he's been saving it for Barbossa, so maybe he shouldn't get a pistol attack. Or just leave that in the flavor text.

And the jar of dirt can be a refluffed Amulet of Protection: Abberations (assuming Davy Jones is a mind flayer and his crew are sea spawn...).

Yes the jar of dirt. Also he used the last shot but later in the movies he gets more but assuming this is him at the beginning of Curse of the Black Pearl then he has one shot. He can buy more. They are 3 GP for 10.

Unoriginal
2018-01-31, 11:14 AM
Sparrow isn't that great a swordsman (he's good enough to survive against the best, like Will Turner, but not enough to beat them), while he's known to pull of zany escapes.

Thief would probably represent him better than Swashbuckler as a subclass.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 11:18 AM
I could subclass him with a fighter. Or something like that. I like the swashbuckler for the various things it has that work with Jack... I ... i forgot to add the subclass... Ill do it later in like an hour.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-31, 11:19 AM
Yes the jar of dirt. Also he used the last shot but later in the movies he gets more but assuming this is him at the beginning of Curse of the Black Pearl then he has one shot. He can buy more. They are 3 GP for 10.

Throughout the entirety of the first movie, Sparrow was dirt poor. He doesn't have 3 gp. The only time we see him exchange money with anybody is the very first scene, in which he gives the harbormaster 5 shillings, then swipes it back. A shilling is probably about 1 cp.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 11:24 AM
Throughout the entirety of the first movie, Sparrow was dirt poor. He doesn't have 3 gp. The only time we see him exchange money with anybody is the very first scene, in which he gives the harbormaster 5 shillings, then swipes it back. A shilling is probably about 1 cp.
I just went with the loot the sailor background gives you like the Navigator's Tools and, Thieves tools neither of which he appears to have. Ill drop it though and give a bit less.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-31, 11:26 AM
Sparrow isn't that great a swordsman (he's good enough to survive against the best, like Will Turner, but not enough to beat them), while he's known to pull of zany escapes.

Thief would probably represent him better than Swashbuckler as a subclass.

I would just picture Will as a Dex-based fighter, while Jack is the Rogue. In a straight-up fight, Will would probably win, but Jack knows how to make hits count and knows WHEN to strike to make the most of it.

GooeyChewie
2018-01-31, 11:56 AM
I would just picture Will as a Dex-based fighter...

With the Guild Artisan background!

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-31, 12:02 PM
So what would Elizabeth be?

Noble or Courtier Background for sure, but what class?

Vogie
2018-01-31, 12:14 PM
You could take 3 levels in College of Lore Bard
The Bardic inspiration and Cutting Words would represent his "unusual luck" aura
Cantrips:
True Strike
Vicious Mockery
1st Level:
Disguise self
Heroism
Bane
Feather Fall
2nd Level:
Locate Object
Suggestion

Alternatively, You could also have the magic contained inside the magic compass, that gives a variant of the Magic Initiate feat.
As long as the compass is on his person, He'll be able to use the Vicious Mockery and Guidance Cantrips, which show him as being "lucky" (without the feat) and also generating bad luck when he insults other people. He can then use the compass to cast Locate Desire:

Locate Desire
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a splash of rum)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Focus on an specific object or person that is familiar to you. You sense the direction to their location, as long as that object on the same plane as you.

Edit:

I don't know what she'd be at the beginning, but she eventually becomes a Battle Master Fighter by the end of the 3rd movie

Will would be a fighter (or possibly ranger?) at first, then takes at least 1 level in Sea Sorcerer when he becomes the captain of the Dutchman for Soul of the Sea. I'd love him to be a warlock, but the patrons and boons just don't mesh.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 12:19 PM

in the first movie I would put he down as a noble. Little fighting experience but she is pretty smart.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-31, 12:20 PM

Until the third movie or so, I can't see her having a class. She doesn't fight anything in the first movie, and in the secind, she mostly helps Will or Jack or those weird pirates with the glass eye. Mastermind Rogue, perhaps? I can see that.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-31, 12:21 PM
You could take 3 levels in College of Lore Bard
The Bardic inspiration and Cutting Words would represent his "unusual luck" aura
Cantrips:
True Strike
Vicious Mockery
1st Level:
Disguise self
Heroism
Bane
Feather Fall
2nd Level:
Locate Object
Suggestion

Alternatively, You could also have the magic contained inside the magic compass, that gives a variant of the Magic Initiate feat.
As long as the compass is on his person, He'll be able to use the Vicious Mockery and Guidance Cantrips, which show him as being "lucky" (without the feat) and also generating bad luck when he insults other people. He can then use the compass to cast Locate Desire:
I would agree but he looses or gives up his compass quite a lot so I don't think that would be ideal. I do like the ideas of the spells though.