PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Links to Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite rulings

Degwerks
2018-01-31, 11:28 AM
I used to have the links to these rulings from JC & MM but it was on my old phone and it crapped out on me a month ago.
What I would like is if someone had these links to the rulings about using Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite on the same attack, to please post them here for me.
I know as a Hexblade/Paladin that I can use my Warlock Pact Magic slots to fuel Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite on the same attack roll but want "proof of work" to back it up. I also know that I can't use Paladin slots for my Eldritch Smite, and I can also use my Pact Magic slots to cast Paladin Spells.
I really would like to be able to prove to my group that I can use my Pact Magic slots all on one attack to cast Banishing Smite, burn a Pact Magic slot to fuel Divine Smite and another one to fuel Eldritch Smite. I know this is a massive Nova and then I'm spent, but when you have a Divination Wizard who has a Natural 20 waiting for you to turn a hit into a Critical, it really is awesome to do 200+ damage on 1 hit.

Thanks

Mato
2018-01-31, 12:01 PM
Just search for the smites on sageadvice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/) and you'll come up with all kinds of useful knowledge and citations.

Also a critical hit with full divine/eldritch power only adds +99 damage on average and in 5th you don't multiply your static bonuses (like strength). You may find it hard to deal 200+ damage in one hit even with it since it requires magical items and other spellcasters to buff you.

Degwerks
2018-01-31, 12:46 PM
Just search for the smites on sageadvice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/) and you'll come up with all kinds of useful knowledge and citations.

Also a critical hit with full divine/eldritch power only adds +99 damage on average and in 5th you don't multiply your static bonuses (like strength). You may find it hard to deal 200+ damage in one hit even with it since it requires magical items and other spellcasters to buff you.

Forgot to mention I had a Holy Avenger and my opponent was a fiend, so the sword did +2d10 against a fiend, also Banishing Smite does 5d10, Eldritch & Divine Smite would do 12d8, so with a Crit, I'm doing 14d10 and 24d8 against a Fiend. then my static mod added in last. Easily 200+dmg which I did.

I'll trying searching the Sage Advice and see what more I can come up with. So far I only found a thing confirming Pact Magic slots only for Eldritch Smite and that you can cast a Smite Spell along with Divine Smiting.

Davrix
2018-01-31, 02:59 PM
Your table is being *****

Both spells say on hit expend a spell slot. if you pay the cost of 2 spell slots then you can definitely use both and it doesn't matter if the hit comes from another smite spell because its on THE HIT

Which is why you can cherry pick that crit roll for it.

Its a big nova but it also costs you double the spell slots and the hex-blade smite is nowhere near as good as the paladin one and personally i just skip it for better invocations.