PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Misc. Kobold-Related Stuff [PEACH, WIP]

Urist Mcmage
2018-01-31, 05:05 PM
Before I get to the homebrew, I would like to clarify a few things. Reading this is not required to makes sense of the stuff below, so if you just want to skip to the good stuff, go right ahead. I plan on adding more content to this page at a later point.

Changelog:
1.1 made Curse of Final moments less permanent by allowing its effects to be temporarily countered using spells

Firstly, it should be noted that I designed all this with the kobolds from my own campaign setting in mind. In my campaign setting, kobolds society is incredibly paranoid and constantly developing more defenses against marauding adventurers. Additionally, most kobolds are incredibly bitter about their own lot in life, and hate every one of the “civilized” races with a burning passion (Ironically, with the exception of the gnomes, who have been consistently helping the Kobold Freedom Fighters). Mind you, the “civilized” races have attempted to wipe out the kobolds on numerous occasions and have all but shattered the major kobold civilization in the setting, currently keeping much of the kobold population as servants and slaves. As a result of this, most of the content below is designed to be used against[I] adventures and well equipped foes.

FEATS

Potent Poisons
You are an expert at modifying the recipe for toxins to vastly increase their strength and virulence.
Prerequisites: 5 ranks in Craft: Poisonmaking
Benefit: Poisons that you craft have their saving throw DC increased by +3, and any damage, ability damage or ability drain is increased by +1.

Expert Trapper
You know how to build traps in ways that will maximize their effectiveness
Prerequisites: 5 ranks in Craft: Trapmaking
Benefit: Traps that you craft have their saving throw DC increased by +2

Extraplanar Poisons
You knowledge of the planes allows you to create poisons can fell even the most resilient outsiders.
Prerequisites: [I]Potent Poisons[I], 10 ranks in Craft: Poisonmaking, 5 ranks in Knowledge: The Planes, at least 2 other [Toxin] feats
Benefit: You may spend an hour and a number of gold pieces equal to half the cost of a single dose of a poison in exotic reagents to alter its effects. That poison ignores any Immunity to Poison when used against Outsiders. This does not work against outsiders without a Con score, nor does it work against incorporeal Outsiders.

Horrifying Toxins
Where most poisons are designed to be as subtle as possible, you have become an expert at altering toxins so that their gruesome effects inspire fear in your enemies
Prerequisites: [I]Potent Poisons, 10 ranks in Craft: Poisonmaking
Benefit: You may spend an hour and a number of gold pieces equal to half the cost of a single dose of the poison in exotic reagents to alter its effects. Every time a creature is killed by that poison, all allies of the creature able to see it must make a will save with a DC equal to the DC of the original poison +5 or be shaken for 1d4 Rounds. This is a [Mind-Effecting] [Fear] effect.

Agonizing Toxins
Your skill in modifying poisons allow you to alter them to inflict mind-numbing agony that can drop even the most determined foe where they stand.
Prerequisites: Lethal Mixtures, 14 ranks in Craft: Poisonmaking
Benefit:
You may spend an hour and a number of gold pieces equal to half the cost of a single dose of a poison in exotic reagents to alter its effects. Any creature effected by that poison, even one that successfully saved against it, must then make a will save with a DC equal to the DC of the poison itself +5 or be dazed for 1d4 rounds. This does not work on creatures without a nervous system.

NEW POISONS

Wizards Bane
Also known as Tremble-Finger, Wizard’s Bane is universally feared by wizards, and is banned in many different magocracies. A fast-acting poison which effects the muscles and nerves in the face and hands, causing constant muscle spasms and nervous twitching, followed by paralysis. A creature that fails its first save against Wizard’s Bane suffers a 50% spell failure chance whenever trying to cast a spell with somatic or verbal components. This effect lasts for 12 hours. If the creature fails their secondary save, they become paralyzed for 1d10 minutes. If the creature failed their save against both the first and second save they also suffer 1d4 Dexterity Drain. Injury Poison, Save DC 14, Craft DC 16, Initial Damage: 50% Spell Failure Chance, Secondary Damage: Paralysis, Price: 150 gp.

Nilbog Root Extract
Created from a rare plant, this toxin absorbs magical healing, preventing someone who has been poisoned with it from benefiting from such magic. A creature that fails its first or second save against Nilbog Root Extract is completely unaffected by spells with the [Healing] keyword for the next 1d8 hours. Contact Poison, Save DC 16, Craft DC 18, Initial Damage: Special, Secondary Damage: Special, Cost: 100 gp.

Kobold’s Revenge
A refined variant of Nilbog Root Extract developed by kobold tribes as a method of getting revenge on troublesome adventurers, even the mere rumor that a kobold tribe knows how to make this poison makes even hardened adventurers wary of attacking them. The poison has no visible effects on its own. What makes this poison so deadly is that the poison reacts strongly to the presence of alchemical healing products such as Potions of Cure Wounds[I]. When a creature fails its first or second save against this poison, it suffers no immediate harm. However, for the next 1d12 hours, make keep track of how many doses of alchemical healing products the character has consumed; after the 1d12 hours are up, they take 1d3 Constitution Damage for each dose consumed. Injury Poison, Save DC 18, Craft DC 20, Initial Damage: Special, Secondary Damage: Special, Cost: 250 gp.

NEW ALCHEMICAL ITEMS

Kobold-Fire
Also known as Demonfire and Spiteflame, this alchemical substance is extremely flammable, and burns just about anywhere, including underwater. The smoke it gives off is a potent neurotoxic agent, the residue of the substance is a contact poison, and the flames it produces can melt right through plate armor in seconds. Kobold-Fire counts as alchemists fire, except that it burns even underwater, does 2d10 hardness ignoring damage each round to any object it is in contact with, and the smoke it gives off counts as a [I]Solid Fog[I] spell with a radius of 20 ft., but anyone within it takes 1d4 Dexterity damage each round unless they make a save DC of 10 + Crafter’s Level + Crafter’s Intelligence Modifier within a 20 ft. radius of whatever is burning. Anyone who takes damage from the Kobold Fire must also make a DC of 10 + Crafter’s Level + Crafter’s Intelligence Modifier or take 1d8+2 Constitution damage. Craft DC (Alchemy): 22 , Cost 100 gp/flask

NEW SPELLS

Curse of Final Moments
Necromancy
Level: Adept 4, Cleric 4, Favored Soul 5
Components: V, S , M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Permanent; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No
This spell, developed by kobold shamans as a means of striking back at adventurers, forces the target to relive the final moments of every kobold they have ever killed in excruciating detail whenever they sleep. A wizard who killed a group of kobolds with a [I]Fireball[I] would feel the agonizing pain of being burned alive, the terror of being unable to douse the flames that were consuming them. A creature effected by this spell cannot gain any benefit from short or long rests other than regaining hitpoints. Additionally, each time they sleep, they must make a will save with a DC of 10 + Caster Level + Casting Stat or take 1d4 Wisdom burn. The target can negate the curse by making restitution to the family of at least one of the kobolds they have killed. A casting of [I]Remove Curse or Break Enchantment temporarily counters the effects of the curse, allowing the target to regain spell-slots via rest and protects them from the wisdom burn, but does not actually break the curse. A Wish or a Miraclespell does break the curse.

NEW TRAPS

Weasel’s Bite Trap
This trap is similar to a bear trap, except that when stepped on, a spring-loaded spike shoots out at an angle designed to spear the victims tendons. Additionally, the teeth are usually coated in Nilbog Root Extract (see above) in order to prevent magical healing. Craft DC 20, DC 18 Reflex Save to avoid, deals 3d4 Piercing damage, and the victims base movement speed is reduced to 10 ft. Cost: 400 gp.

rferries
2018-01-31, 05:47 PM
Haha nice. I feel like there's a lot of anti-spellcaster punishment but maybe that's part of the point. Good work!

Morphic tide
2018-01-31, 08:25 PM
A slight change to Curse of Final Moments would be to work it into a Kobold domain and have it be the caster's race in general, not just Kobolds, as magic almost never has such clauses, and has actual reasons for those clauses owing to facts of how the spell works, rather than it's origins.

Also, the spell's effect makes no sense when cast on someone who's never actually killed a Kobold, such as a Monk that always goes for knockout blows. Kind of an inherent problem with such spells, really, because you inevitably end up with a situation in which you have a never-actually-kills band of adventurers (or hell, a group of spellcasters from a magocrocy who only ever cast Merciful combat spells) wrecking large groups of Kobolds who then either get nothing out of this attempted shutdown mechanism, or the shutdown mechanism works with all in-universe explanations not applying.

Third, either Break Enchantment or Remove Curse, or general Dispel abilities, needs to be specified to work on it. 4th level spells have no business permanently ruining characters without standard removal options. Hell, 4th level spells have no business permanently tuning characters like this does under any situation, Bestow Curse is 4th level for Wiz/Sorc and the worst it can do is either -6 to an ability score or 50% chance to not do anything each turn, which is crippling, but doesn't fundamentally make entire categories of characters utterly nonfunctional without exception.

This thing makes any spellcaster, no matter how powerful, stuck on a time limit unless they go through a flagrantly impossible task of finding all those families in the first place (on limited spell slots), then the even more impossible task of somehow making up for killing a loved one(again, on limited spell slots). And it's SR: No, so a major category of defense doesn't work against a permanently character disabling spell.

So it's vastly more powerful than the single strongest comparable debuff in the entirety of 3.X, without any specified method of removal beyond a task only the DM in charge can even begin to define, let alone give progress towards completion of, that is a near logical impossibility for some of the most absurdly powerful characters in the game to do.

Urist Mcmage
2018-01-31, 10:34 PM
A slight change to Curse of Final Moments would be to work it into a Kobold domain and have it be the caster's race in general, not just Kobolds, as magic almost never has such clauses, and has actual reasons for those clauses owing to facts of how the spell works, rather than it's origins.

Also, the spell's effect makes no sense when cast on someone who's never actually killed a Kobold, such as a Monk that always goes for knockout blows. Kind of an inherent problem with such spells, really, because you inevitably end up with a situation in which you have a never-actually-kills band of adventurers (or hell, a group of spellcasters from a magocrocy who only ever cast Merciful combat spells) wrecking large groups of Kobolds who then either get nothing out of this attempted shutdown mechanism, or the shutdown mechanism works with all in-universe explanations not applying.

Third, either Break Enchantment or Remove Curse, or general Dispel abilities, needs to be specified to work on it. 4th level spells have no business permanently ruining characters without standard removal options. Hell, 4th level spells have no business permanently tuning characters like this does under any situation, Bestow Curse is 4th level for Wiz/Sorc and the worst it can do is either -6 to an ability score or 50% chance to not do anything each turn, which is crippling, but doesn't fundamentally make entire categories of characters utterly nonfunctional without exception.

This thing makes any spellcaster, no matter how powerful, stuck on a time limit unless they go through a flagrantly impossible task of finding all those families in the first place (on limited spell slots), then the even more impossible task of somehow making up for killing a loved one(again, on limited spell slots). And it's SR: No, so a major category of defense doesn't work against a permanently character disabling spell.

So it's vastly more powerful than the single strongest comparable debuff in the entirety of 3.X, without any specified method of removal beyond a task only the DM in charge can even begin to define, let alone give progress towards completion of, that is a near logical impossibility for some of the most absurdly powerful characters in the game to do.

Yeah, in hindsight making the Curse permanent with no way to break it was a terrible idea. That being said, I would prefer that someone using it is not able to simply make it go away with the casting of a single spell.

Urist Mcmage
2018-02-01, 02:14 PM
Haha nice. I feel like there's a lot of anti-spellcaster punishment but maybe that's part of the point. Good work!

Thank you. My feeling is that Kobolds are smart enough to realize that casters are the biggest threat, and plan accordingly. All this stuff was designed to kill adventurers, hence the poisons that negate healing.