PDA

View Full Version : Ok I had a funny monk idea. Time to expand.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-31, 06:02 PM
Ok I noticed monks have a tool proficiency lying around so I thought.... martial arts chef.

Proficiency in cooks utensils.

I even thought, ok cooks utincels as weapons.

I will be a chef for giants.

Spear as a cooking spit.
Javelins as kabab skewers.
Darts for snack toothpicks.

Now how to expand.

What can I carry around as more cookware

Any subclass ideas?

Drunken master would make the most sense.

Maybe I just watch too many Stephen Chow movies...

seventh_soul
2018-01-31, 06:11 PM
Mabye a longsword “knife” or a halberd “spoon”
For fluff mabye make him wear a bowl on his head?
Can’t think of anything more at the moment.

Callin
2018-01-31, 06:19 PM
Please name your character after Steven Segal

Dudewithknives
2018-01-31, 06:31 PM
Please name your character after Steven Segal

Yeah, I liked Under Seige back in the day.

Aiming for more Stephen Chow style but he will have some Casey Ryback in there somewhere too.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-31, 06:38 PM
Be a Kensei and choose a battle axe (cleaver) and blowgun (one heck of a salt-shaker) as your weapons.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-31, 06:54 PM
I guess a big wooden cooking spoon could be a great club.

Drunken master who cooks with too much sake...

Or

Way of shadow, the food just kind of shows up, nobody sees it get dropped off.

Or

Kensei (as much as I hate them) using a a pair of martial weapons of some kind.

SkylarkR6
2018-01-31, 07:27 PM
Shortswords are the little sword toothpicks you stick into cheese.

Nidgit
2018-01-31, 07:41 PM
Open Hand could emphasize dexterity with knives, so you're dicing expertly and flipping pancakes everywhere.

Four Elements obviously lends itself to flambes and other dishes that take a bit of extra creative flair.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-31, 08:26 PM
Oh my God I just thought of something that would be hilarious I could play a halfling and name him Mini Hana

Instead of Ki he harness the spiritual power of Ha'Ba-Chi

Arkhios
2018-01-31, 11:44 PM
I'd say that Stew N. Chew would be more appropriate name for this kind of character. :smalltongue:

Dudewithknives
2018-02-01, 12:51 AM
I will try not to talk like an intro to iron chef.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-01, 01:20 PM
Now I am rewriting Drunken Master to give it cooking "flavor" text.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-01, 04:07 PM
Oh my God I just thought of something that would be hilarious I could play a halfling and name him Mini Hana

Instead of Ki he harness the spiritual power of Ha'Ba-Chi Bravo, and make sure that you learn how to say "second breakfast" in Japanese. :smallbiggrin:

Caelic
2018-02-01, 06:53 PM
Dragonborn could also work. Skewer the meal, then breathe on it. Instant flambe.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-01, 07:44 PM
Dragonborn could also work. Skewer the meal, then breathe on it. Instant flambe.

With our creation rules I could pull it off but I will probably make a human that is arrogant and wise named Chiun.

Most people will not get the refrence but the DM will.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-01, 11:24 PM
With our creation rules I could pull it off but I will probably make a human that is arrogant and wise named Chiun. As will Remo and I. :) I'll have some duck and rice, thanks.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-02, 09:10 AM
As will Remo and I. :) I'll have some duck and rice, thanks.

To paraphrase a scene from one of the books:

"When the great creator looked at the world and saw that it needed caretakers he took some clay and crafted a new race, he put the clay into an oven to bake but his clay was too dry, it shrank and became hard as stone. He saw this as a failure and buried his creation, thus the Dwarves were born. He tried again to create his new race, he used softer clay, and molded it in detail. He placed it in the oven again but this time his clay was too soft and stretched out and was too soft. The great creator saw this as a failure as well and threw his creation into the woods, and thus the Elves were born. The great creator tried one more time, he selected the best clay that was both tough but malleable, he crafted it and molded it with great care, and he watched it closely as he put it in his oven. His creation was perfect, and thus he made the human. He saw that his newest creation was too perfect and so to make them more humble he gave them a shorter lifespan than his other creations and gave them tremendous ambition. Thus was the making of the world."

Joe the Rat
2018-02-02, 11:48 AM
I highly recommend Tavern Brawler, for all those utensils that do not fall under other weapon choices. "I have proficiency in Secret Ingredient!"

Handaxe makes a good cleaver analog. Spoons, ladles, spatulas are all manner of club. Tenderizing mallet is a light hammer. The cheese grater is just mean (and according to illuminated texts, a martial weapon).

If you went with the more drunken drunken master, you could have a quarterstaff or greatclub muddle, for Giant Mojitos.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-02, 11:55 AM
I highly recommend Tavern Brawler, for all those utensils that do not fall under other weapon choices. "I have proficiency in Secret Ingredient!"

Handaxe makes a good cleaver analog. Spoons, ladles, spatulas are all manner of club. Tenderizing mallet is a light hammer. The cheese grater is just mean (and according to illuminated texts, a martial weapon).

If you went with the more drunken drunken master, you could have a quarterstaff or greatclub muddle, for Giant Mojitos.

I actually rewrote the Drunken Master for cooking.

Way of the Culinarian

“Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are.”

The art of cooking is the most divine art there is. All creatures must eat, it is what and how you eat that defines you. If the body is a temple, the chef is its priest.

Kitchen Training:
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Performance skill if you don’t already have it. Your martial arts technique mixes combat training with the precision of a trained chef.
Preparing food is just as much of a performance art as it is concerned with flavor. You also gain proficiency in cooking utensils, if you already have proficiency in cooking utensils, you double your proficiency bonus on those checks.

Culinary Technique
At 3rd level, you have spent many years moving around a busy kitchen and have learned how to twist and turn quickly as part of your Flurry of Blows. Whenever you use Flurry of Blows, you gain the benefit of the Disengage action, and your walking speed increases by 10 feet until the end of the current turn.

The Flow of Flavor
Starting at 6th level, you can move in sudden, swaying ways. You gain the following benefits.
Leap to Your Feet. When you’re prone, you can stand up by spending 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.
Redirect Attack. When a creature misses you with a melee attack roll, you can spend 1 ki point as a reaction to cause that attack to hit one creature of your choice, other than the attacker, that you can see within 5 feet of you.

The Spice of Life
Starting at 11th level, years of food preparation have given you the insight needed to turn any foul ingredients into at least an average meal. When you make an ability check, an attack roll, or a saving throw and have disadvantage on the roll, you can spend 2 ki points to cancel the disadvantage for that roll.

Gastrophile Frenzy
At 17th level, you gain the ability to make an overwhelming number of attacks against a group of enemies. When you use your Flurry of Blows, you can make up to three additional attacks with it (up to a total of five Flurry of Blows attacks), provided that each Flurry of Blows attack targets a different creature this turn.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-02, 03:49 PM
Ok I have the character built: After putting in house rules and such:

Level 1:

Human Monk
Background: Chef (2 skill, 2 tools, retainers: Sous Chef assistant cook and a half-high elf that learned prestidigitation to make my place smell nice and stay clean)

Str: 14
Dex: 20
Con: 16
Int: 15
Wis: 18
Cha: 16

Proficiencies:

Insight
Nature
Perception
Survival

Tools:
Brewer's Kit
Cook's Tools
Herbalism Kit

Languages:
Common and Elven

Gear:
Basic stuff:

Spear (Roasting Spit)
Darts (Appetizer picks)
Javelins (Kabab Skewers)
Hand Axes (Cleavers)
Club (Meat Mallets)

A very fancy chef's hat.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-08, 01:23 PM

I would love to find a way to get improvised weapons to count as monk weapons.

Maybe I can create a feat for it.

Improvised Weapon Master:

+1 Str or Dex or Wis

You gain proficiency in improvised weapons and may consider them monk weapons.

Trum4n1208
2018-02-08, 02:10 PM
The mace would could be refluffed as a cast iron cooking pan, for those so inclined to go the 'Tangled' route of fighting.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-10, 11:41 AM
I think I have an idea on a look.

Brothers Sum from Kung Fu Hustle, but cleaner with better teeth.

When he gets to the kitchen. He puts on his chef hat and outfit.

Hatchet (handaxe) as meat cleaver.

Deox
2018-02-10, 11:59 AM
Ok I have the character built: After putting in house rules and such:
A very fancy chef's hat.

This is most important.

Also, I absolutely love this concept. Well done (well, medium rare personally :smallamused: ).

Dudewithknives
2018-03-05, 11:40 AM
Update:

The DM loved my idea of reflavoring the Drunken Master as the Culinarian, same abilite effects and all but based on cooking instead of drinking.

Review:
Level 3:

Human Monk Way of the Culinarian
Background: Chef (2 skill, 2 tools, retainers: Sous Chef assistant cook and a half-high elf that learned prestidigitation to make my place smell nice and stay clean)

Str: 14
Dex: 20
Con: 16
Int: 15
Wis: 18
Cha: 16

Proficiencies:

Insight
Nature
Perception
Survival

Tools:
Brewer's Kit
Cook's Tools Expertise
Herbalism Kit

Languages:
Common and Elven

Gear:
Basic stuff:

Spear (Roasting Spit)
Darts (Appetizer picks)
Javelins (Kabab Skewers)
Hand Axes (Cleavers)
Club (Meat Mallets)

Mainly just uses Hand Axes and unarmed strikes.

A very fancy chef's hat.

Way of the Culinarian

“Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are.”

The art of cooking is the most divine art there is. All creatures must eat, it is what and how you eat that defines you. If the body is a temple, the chef is its priest.

Kitchen Training:
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Performance skill if you don’t already have it. Your martial arts technique mixes combat training with the precision of a trained chef.
Preparing food is just as much of a performance art as it is concerned with flavor. You also gain proficiency in cooking utensils, if you already have proficiency in cooking utensils, you double your proficiency bonus on those checks.

Culinary Technique
At 3rd level, you have spent many years moving around a busy kitchen and have learned how to twist and turn quickly as part of your Flurry of Blows. Whenever you use Flurry of Blows, you gain the benefit of the Disengage action, and your walking speed increases by 10 feet until the end of the current turn.

The Flow of Flavor
Starting at 6th level, you can move in sudden, swaying ways. You gain the following benefits.
Leap to Your Feet. When you’re prone, you can stand up by spending 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.
Redirect Attack. When a creature misses you with a melee attack roll, you can spend 1 ki point as a reaction to cause that attack to hit one creature of your choice, other than the attacker, that you can see within 5 feet of you.

The Spice of Life
Starting at 11th level, years of food preparation have given you the insight needed to turn any foul ingredients into at least an average meal. When you make an ability check, an attack roll, or a saving throw and have disadvantage on the roll, you can spend 2 ki points to cancel the disadvantage for that roll.

Gastrophile Frenzy
At 17th level, you gain the ability to make an overwhelming number of attacks against a group of enemies. When you use your Flurry of Blows, you can make up to three additional attacks with it (up to a total of five Flurry of Blows attacks), provided that each Flurry of Blows attack targets a different creature this turn.

At level 4, I will bump my Wis to 20.

Any more ideas for mundane cooking gear, magic item reflavors, or feats at level 4/8/12?

Ventruenox
2018-03-05, 12:47 PM
You have mastered a variety of special recipes,
allowing you to prepare exotic dishes with useful
effects. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a
maximum of 20.
• You gain proficiency with cook’s utensils. If
you are already proficient with them, you add
double your proficiency bonus to checks you
make with them.
• As an action, you can inspect a drink or plate of
food within 5 feet of you and determine
whether it is poisoned, provided that you can
see and smell it.
• During a long rest, you can prepare and serve a
meal that helps you and your allies recover
from the rigors of adventuring, provided you
have suitable food, cook’s utensils, and other
supplies on hand. The meal serves up to six
people, and each person who eats it regains
two additional Hit Dice at the end of the long
rest. In addition, those who partake of the meal
have advantage on Constitution saving throws
against disease for the next 24 hours.

The Spice Pouch from Xanathar's may be one of those magic items you want.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-05, 12:58 PM
You have mastered a variety of special recipes,
allowing you to prepare exotic dishes with useful
effects. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a
maximum of 20.
• You gain proficiency with cook’s utensils. If
you are already proficient with them, you add
double your proficiency bonus to checks you
make with them.
• As an action, you can inspect a drink or plate of
food within 5 feet of you and determine
whether it is poisoned, provided that you can
see and smell it.
• During a long rest, you can prepare and serve a
meal that helps you and your allies recover
from the rigors of adventuring, provided you
have suitable food, cook’s utensils, and other
supplies on hand. The meal serves up to six
people, and each person who eats it regains
two additional Hit Dice at the end of the long
rest. In addition, those who partake of the meal
have advantage on Constitution saving throws
against disease for the next 24 hours.

The Spice Pouch from Xanathar's may be one of those magic items you want.

Yea, I was going to get the pouch, and while I like the gourmand feat, I doubt the DM would ok any UA that came before Xan's. We both have the idea that if the UA was going to be used it would be in Xan's. Except for the Artificer/Mystic, we know those are coming eventually.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-05, 05:07 PM
I wonder if I could get a cloak of protection as a chef hat of protection instead...

Now to think of other reflavored magic items.

Bracers of Defence as apron of defense.

I am playing a human so goggles of night will be a big priority.

Instant fortress as an instant restaurant.

Alchemy jug of sause and spice.

KorvinStarmast
2018-03-05, 05:10 PM
Alchemy jug of sause and spice. It already has mayonnaise.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-28, 08:04 AM
I am loving this character, he usually fights unarmed but he does carry a meat cleaver (hand axe) as a weapon as well just in case he needs to throw something or needs to do slashing damage.

I have no idea what to do about feats though, 90% of the time monks are built they need so many stats they never get to use many feats, but I rolled pretty well so I can squeeze some in.

I want to take the Gourmand feat, but the +1 con really does nothing for me.

I don't really need mobile with the subclass I am using.

Weapon feats are kind of pointless for most monks.

Resilient is nice but later would be redundant.

Tough is not bad but I could just up my con by 2 and have a better save and half the extra HP

Nothing just jumps out at me really.

Arkhios
2018-03-28, 09:03 AM
I am loving this character, he usually fights unarmed but he does carry a meat cleaver (hand axe) as a weapon as well just in case he needs to throw something or needs to do slashing damage.

I have no idea what to do about feats though, 90% of the time monks are built they need so many stats they never get to use many feats, but I rolled pretty well so I can squeeze some in.

I want to take the Gourmand feat, but the +1 con really does nothing for me.

I don't really need mobile with the subclass I am using.

Weapon feats are kind of pointless for most monks.

Resilient is nice but later would be redundant.

Tough is not bad but I could just up my con by 2 and have a better save and half the extra HP

Nothing just jumps out at me really.

Prodigy from Xanathar's Guide, maybe?

Dudewithknives
2018-03-28, 10:34 AM
Prodigy from Xanathar's Guide, maybe?

Yeah, that could work, might go with skilled too, more skills is always good. I am a normal human not variant so my skills are not super.

UA that was before Xan's is out owr I would take Perceptive.

samcifer
2018-03-28, 12:22 PM
I've toyed around with the idea of making a variant human Drunken Master Monk based on Jackie Chan.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-28, 12:48 PM
I've toyed around with the idea of making a variant human Drunken Master Monk based on Jackie Chan.

Another good reason there should be feat allowing monks to make improvised weapons, monk weapons.

Arkhios
2018-03-28, 10:27 PM
Another good reason there should be feat allowing monks to make improvised weapons, monk weapons.

I've been thinking to house rule that Tavern Brawler would do just that for monks.

haplot
2018-03-29, 03:22 AM
As a chef you're going to need chef knives (daggers) aren't you?

Oh and how about an apron of fire resist?

Bohandas
2018-03-29, 03:36 AM
How about a ring that turns into food processer blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcPwWR4C_w#t=01m15s

Arkhios
2018-03-29, 03:48 AM

To be slightly pedantic, cook's apron's purpose isn't exactly to protect from heat, but rather to protect one's clothes and skin from incidental stains and marks. It's more for hygiene than anything else.
If anything, such an apron for a chef could allow the wearer to cast Prestidigitation at-will to clean the apron. And, maybe provide the wearer either advantage on saves against poison and disease, or straight immunity to both.

Smith's apron's purpose is to protect from excessive heat (consequently it's made from leather rather than cloth)

How about a ring that turns into food processer blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcPwWR4C_w#t=01m15s

...I may have to start taking some kind of sanity pills after seeing this.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-29, 06:53 AM

He uses hand axes, reflavored as meat cleavers.

To be slightly pedantic, cook's apron's purpose isn't exactly to protect from heat, but rather to protect one's clothes and skin from incidental stains and marks. It's more for hygiene than anything else.
If anything, such an apron for a chef could allow the wearer to cast Prestidigitation at-will to clean the apron. And, maybe provide the wearer either advantage on saves against poison and disease, or straight immunity to both.

Smith's apron's purpose is to protect from excessive heat (consequently it's made from leather rather than cloth)

...I may have to start taking some kind of sanity pills after seeing this.

I make it a general rule not to click on links to Youtube, it is usually a letdown.

The DM is letting me craft a ring that all it does is make me constantly clean and smell fresh.

Deox
2018-03-30, 03:29 PM
Off the top of my head:
XGtE

Staff of Adornment, which would allow you to float objects above the staff. Up to 3, I believe. Place onion, lettuce, whatever, above the staff. Let it float around while you hack, slice, julienne etc. to onlookers amazement.
Talking Doll - can "store" 6 phrases, no more than 6 words each. I can see some potential recipe storage here.

Bohandas
2018-03-30, 10:47 PM
I make it a general rule not to click on links to Youtube, it is usually a letdown.

It's that one scene from Big Trouble in Little China with the Three Storms

Gydian
2018-03-31, 12:58 PM
I’m surprised no ones mentioned the movie Mr. Nice Guy. Jackie Chan plays a chef. It’s awsome.

https://youtu.be/k1vLISM3U0Q

https://youtu.be/B_7mm6BqojM

Dudewithknives
2018-04-02, 10:19 AM
Ok, how does this sound as a feat, kind of have to aim to be underpowered due to being a homebrew feat:

Whatever Is At Hand: You consider improvised weapons without the heavy trait to be monk weapons. At level 6 they are considered magical for the purpose of ignoring resistances. +1 To Dex or Wis.

Arkhios
2018-04-02, 10:47 AM
Ok, how does this sound as a feat, kind of have to aim to be underpowered due to being a homebrew feat:

Whatever Is At Hand: You consider improvised weapons without the heavy trait to be monk weapons. At level 6 they are considered magical for the purpose of ignoring resistances. +1 To Dex or Wis.

Improvised weapons have no traits whatsoever, and you only need special means for adding proficiency if the item in question doesn't resemble an actual weapon in the first place.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-02, 11:16 AM
Improvised weapons have no traits whatsoever, and you only need special means for adding proficiency if the item in question doesn't resemble an actual weapon in the first place.

Even proficiency would not make them monk weapons though.

I am wanting to use a wok, a cooking spoon, a table cloth, ect as a monk weapon.

Some DM's do give them traits based on size such as light, versatile, heavy.

Ex. Using a door as an improvised weapon would would have the heavy trait but using a kitchen knife might have light.

Arkhios
2018-04-02, 01:42 PM
Even proficiency would not make them monk weapons though.

I am wanting to use a wok, a cooking spoon, a table cloth, ect as a monk weapon.

Some DM's do give them traits based on size such as light, versatile, heavy.

Ex. Using a door as an improvised weapon would would have the heavy trait but using a kitchen knife might have light.

Yes, mere proficiency doesn't do that. That wasn't my point of objection though. It was simply that since improvised weapons aren't weapons, they don't have any weapon properties. For example, an improvised weapon can't have the Heavy property.

Likewise, if you use a shield as an improvised weapon, the attack roll is made with using Strength, because a shield lacks any weapon properties (a shield doesn't have the finesse property, for example).

Anyway, I'm not objecting to the idea of a feat letting you treat an improvised weapon as a monk weapon, just pointing out that having a requirement of lacking a specific property is redundant because not having any properties at all already makes improvised weapons incapable of gaining the benefit of a special ability with a specific requirement, such as extra damage from GWM, which requires a weapon to be Heavy (if an improvised weapon doesn't have Heavy property, it can't benefit from the feat in that purpose). See what I'm trying to explain?

Dudewithknives
2018-04-02, 01:50 PM
Yes, mere proficiency doesn't do that. That wasn't my point of objection though. It was simply that since improvised weapons aren't weapons, they don't have any weapon properties. For example, an improvised weapon can't have the Heavy property.

Likewise, if you use a shield as an improvised weapon, the attack roll is made with using Strength, because a shield lacks any weapon properties (a shield doesn't have the finesse property, for example).

Anyway, I'm not objecting to the idea of a feat letting you treat an improvised weapon as a monk weapon, just pointing out that having a requirement of lacking a specific property is redundant because not having any properties at all already makes improvised weapons incapable of gaining the benefit of a special ability with a specific requirement, such as extra damage from GWM, which requires a weapon to be Heavy. See what I'm trying to explain?

Yes, but if it is not put there you will have people saying their halberd is an improvised weapon because monks aren't proficient and then try to use PAM or whatever.

Arkhios
2018-04-02, 01:52 PM
Yes, but if it is not put there you will have people saying their halberd is an improvised weapon because monks aren't proficient and then try to use PAM or whatever.

Lacking proficiency in a weapon that is strictly a weapon doesn't make it an improvised weapon for anyone.

An improvised weapon is an item that was not designed to be used as a weapon. A halberd is a weapon, whether you have proficiency or not, while a shovel is not.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-02, 02:29 PM
Lacking proficiency in a weapon that is strictly a weapon doesn't make it an improvised weapon for anyone.

An improvised weapon is an item that was not designed to be used as a weapon. A halberd is a weapon, whether you have proficiency or not, while a shovel is not.

Lacking proficiency does make it improvised, it does not say that improvised weapons are objects not designed as weapons, it says "An
improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin."
It even goes on to say that: If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage.

So a ranged weapon used as a melee weapon like clubbing someone with a crossbow, or a melee weapon used to make a ranged attack like hurling a battleaxe are improvised weapons that do 1d4.
Unless they just do 1d4 and are not considered improvised, in which case that really changes things.

Either way I will be using kitchen impliments as weapons, I would like to be able to consider them monk weapons, but if I cant I will still use them.

Arkhios
2018-04-02, 03:50 PM
Lacking proficiency does make it improvised

I will say this only once more. A weapon that has an entry in a weapon list is a weapon, even if you deep-fried it. You either have a proficiency in that type of weapon for its standard use or you don't. Lacking proficiency with a weapon doesn't suddenly cause a weapon become an improvised weapon instead. Period.

A weapon can be used as an improvised weapon only when you use it in a manner it was not made for, such as a melee attack with a bow, a ranged attack with a greataxe, or an attack with the butt-end of a melee weapon (unless you have a weapon that qualifies for PAM and you have that feat). In those cases, they are improvised weapons, and lose all of their normal properties, including if they are heavy, or finesse, or versatile, or whatever.

Anon von Zilch
2018-04-02, 04:01 PM
If not having proficiency with a weapon makes it an improvised weapon, does Tavern Brawler grant proficiency with all weapons? Or does a character just enter into an infinite loop where they becomes proficient, then becomes not proficient since the weapons are no longer improvised because they're now proficient in them, then becomes proficient again because those weapons have become improvised, then becomes not proficient, etc.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-03, 08:07 AM
If not having proficiency with a weapon makes it an improvised weapon, does Tavern Brawler grant proficiency with all weapons? Or does a character just enter into an infinite loop where they becomes proficient, then becomes not proficient since the weapons are no longer improvised because they're now proficient in them, then becomes proficient again because those weapons have become improvised, then becomes not proficient, etc.

The way I have always interpreted it.

I you are proficient with a weapon and an improvised weapon is close enough to be considered one, like a table leg as a club, you use the stats of a table leg but roll with no proficiency.
If you are proficient with improvised weapons you can use an improvised weapon and do the normal 1d4 damage but you do get to use your proficiency bonus.

ex.

If I am just a normal fighter and I try to throw my longsword at someone I roll as unproficient and do 1d4 damage becuase it is an improvised thrown weapon as per the improvised weapon section.
If I am proficient with improvised weapons like from tavern brawler then I can use my proficiency bonus to the attack but it would still do 1d4 damage because it is still improvised.

Same with not having proficiency:

Druid tries to swing a battleaxe: no proficiency, 1d4 damage.
Druid with improvised weapon proficiency tries to swing battleaxe: use proficiency, still 1d4.

I always treated being unproficient with the weapon the same as using it a way that was unintended.
It may not be correct, if you are unproficient with the battle axe and try to attack with it it might do its normal damage but just not get proficiency to hit.

I understand what people are saying, I am probably wrong the way i do it, I will look for a sage advice on it.