PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice for running an AD&D adventure in 5e

Mith
2018-01-31, 06:37 PM
Hello Playground,

I am looking at running Desert of Desolation (I4 - I5) in 5e. I played the modules in BCMI, and now plan to run the campaign for a group in 5e. I am looking for advice on making conversions, and if one is familiar with the modules themselves, perhaps even some module specific changes.

Things I have thought of so far:
- Enforce encumbrance and rations. This is a survival campaign for certain elements.
-Start the party off at level 7, and maybe level them up midway through the second module. When I played this, we gained 1 level across all 3 modules. Granted that is with variable xp charts, and only levelling up in town.
- Monsters can more or less port directly over from the 5e monster manual
- Spell trap DCs can be set by assuming highest possible stat for a point buy spell caster at that level with the associated proficiency bonus. So 16th level is +5 attribute and 16th level proficiency (+5 if I recall correctly) for a DC 18.
- Some traps give saves at -2 to -4 on the roll. Would this work to set a base save at 10 - 11 and then add the resulting modifier to make the DCs 12 -13 and 14 - 15 respectively?
- Change the magic item availability, as they are not as required as they were in the BCMI system. Perhaps switch out a lot of permanenet mgic items for scrolls and potions, keeping a few key magic items.

Questions I have:
- Currently my table have all the current player options available. Would there be problems allowing all options at the table, or should I be more restrictive on the player choices?
- Do you have any other suggestions to what changes you would make to provide a smoother conversion between the editions?

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

- Mith