PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help build character to story, but still strong.

Jackal1616
2018-01-31, 08:50 PM
Hello friends! So I’m struggling building my character atm. I will explain who the character is, what he does and general back story. I would like to build the class around the story.

We are currently level 8 and have been allowed to visit the “respec” man in a town and can change our class, swap stats, change proficiencies and pretty much change the entire character other than race/story.

Character- Ullyr Blackclaw.

Race- (based of rengar from league of legends) large walking tiger folk.

-+1 to strength and dex

-+1 to chosen stat

-Speed 30”

-Free dash, recharges after not moving for 1 full turn.

-60” darkvision

-Melee attacks are d4 slashing

-Proficiency with perception

-Can smell blood from 1 mile

-Tribute and Trophies. - I can make tributes of the things I kill to my “god” and gain favor (which is eventually rewarded with to character boost/items.) I can also take teeth, horns etc and wear them as trophies to gain status among other cat folk.

BACKSTORY / base for the class.

Short and sweet.... not gunna write out my 4 pages of backstory.

Ullyr has a messy past and long story short was blessed by his god to gain crazy claw/biting attacks to save his village. This turned all his claws and teeth black.

Ullyr is a champion of his ascended rakshasa god, he kills things and then sacrifices their souls to his god so that the god can eat them. EVIL SOULS are “especially” good (says the god). At this point Ullyr has had his soul ripped from his body and fought his way back to life, gaining the title of “defier of death”

The first reward given from the god for enough tributes is my left arm becoming pure black and demonic ish. The stats for my arm ARE

-+3 to Unarmed attacks

-can tear open the plane and cast dimension door once daily.

-can once per 30 days tear open a portal to the 9 hell’s.

NOW. At this point in the campaign I am currently level 8

5 ua monster slayer ranger

2 rogue

1 war cleric

I have established this character as THE ARCHER of the group. Which I currently enjoy.

Also with the current abilities he seems a lot like scorpion from mortal kombat. Which is awesome in my eyes. But I want Scorpion... that can also be badass AF with a bow.

So here’s the idea.

This character is the soul hunter of a god that marks a target and has yet to not slay that target. He then sacrifices their soul and moves on to the next. He is a good person, helps orphanages, old ladies etc good at heart. BUT he will absolutely destroy and hunt evil, 1- to destroy it. 2- to sacrifice it, ultimately sacrificing himself once evil has been purged from the world and he is the last remaining evil.

Things that I really want from the game as I enjoy them and I think they fit the character.

-shadow monk, shadow step

-magic melee attacks

-sharpshooter feat

-alert feat

-hella long bow skills.

I want to follow the rp of the character, but still be strong in combat to match that this soul hunter can actually kill his marks.

Current stats

Strength 13

Dex 20 (bumped from 18 with first asi)

Con 13

Int 7

Wis 18

Char 13

My current idea is to do 6 levels shadow monk, 2 levels fighter and then to continue as a battle master fighter for precision strike and menacing attack. This allows for the shadow tactics, bow skills and awesome claw fighting like in the lore.

Realistically it’s either going to be

1- fighter

2-7- shadow monk

8- fighter 2

9-20- fighter

OR

1-7 battle master fighter

8- monk.

I think that I would enjoy the second option more as I would be a stronger archer and get both my feats I want sooner and dex bump. But the first build gives me magic melee strikes and shadow step. (I only want the level 1 and 6 monk abilities but you have to take 2-5 to get them:( I think that 5 levels is a big ass tax for magic melee strikes and shadow step for a character that uses a bow primarily. However if I do more levels fighter, I have to wait 5 ish levels till I see shadow step, which also sucks because with our exp gain, would be like a year from now.

I want a battle master bow fighter with monk level 1/6 abilities. But not some elabrate 20 level build that will take to level 20 to do.

Anyone offer help? Or something that I’m missing. I’m finding it hard to build a shadow archer that is good at fist fighting. Any way to somehow get magic melee attacks and shadow step without paying a 5 level monk tax?

I’m sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.