PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tips for a Dexterity-based Cleric?

Magentamist
2018-02-01, 01:57 PM
So in my IRL gaming group we're doing a one-shot where the PCs are all elves defending the village against invaders. I want to play a cleric, and since elves have +2 dex I'm going to make him dexterity-based.
Any advice on what are good weapon/armor builds, and which domain is the best? Thank you in advance.

Galadhrim
2018-02-01, 02:17 PM
So in my IRL gaming group we're doing a one-shot where the PCs are all elves defending the village against invaders. I want to play a cleric, and since elves have +2 dex I'm going to make him dexterity-based.
Any advice on what are good weapon/armor builds, and which domain is the best? Thank you in advance.

you will have +2 dex and long bow proficiency, and you are playing a defense against invaders. This screams long bow for your weapon. If they get inside the walls, you can switch to a shield and short sword.

I think you have a couple of ways to go about domain selection. Optimize the domain and then build the character to fit it, or make your story and then pick the domain that fits best.

This style of game I think would lend itself to one of the domains that is good at blasting (light or tempest). I don't think you will have trouble with any domain going dex. Just because a domain gets heavy armor proficiency does not mean you have to use it. Divine strike works for any weapon attack so even the domains that are typically considered str/melee (War, Tempest, Life, nature) will do well on an elf wearing medium armor and shooting a long bow. That being said, you do typically get a different benefit if you take one of the domains that doesn't offer heavy armor. Personally, I love to have skill proficiencies, so the knowledge cleric is always a favorite of mine.

From an RP perspective, if you are going wood elf for the wisdom boost, nature cleric might fit nicely, as does tempest. If you are going high elf, perhaps knowledge cleric or light cleric.

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-01, 02:19 PM
What level will you all be?

I would think that an Elf using a Longbow would be a good use of the Dexterity. Being weapon based, Forge, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, or War would be good fits.

Nature makes sense for an elf thematically, and gives you the ability to choose the element of your extra damage if you'll be level 8+. Otherwise, Tempest gives you some good spell options as well, but War might be your best bet.

DivisibleByZero
2018-02-01, 02:20 PM
One level Monk dip, and Arcana Domain.
Dex and Wis primaries for all of your abilities, plus AC, plus melee capability in the form of Dex staves (or whatever) coupled with either a bonus action unarmed strike or one of the SCAG cantrips. Short and/or long bows when you need more range than cantrips allow.
All on top of the normal Cleric goodies.

Arkhios
2018-02-01, 02:24 PM
Elf cleric kinda screams Arcana Domain for me, considering that in most D&D worlds, the prime elven deity (Corellon Larethian, or just Corellon) is a god of magic.

Even though it doesn't exactly make your weapon attacks any better (if you even need to worry about the 8th level domain feature for this one-shot, that is).

Magentamist
2018-02-01, 02:35 PM
What level will you all be?

We start at level 3, going up to around 7-8 by the end.

you will have +2 dex and long bow proficiency, and you are playing a defense against invaders. This screams long bow for your weapon. If they get inside the walls, you can switch to a shield and short sword.
We won't always be inside the village walls; the party will often venture out onto the battleground to make flank maneuvers, destroy siege engines, etc. The culminating fight is against the general of the force on open ground. (Well, in a forest, but still.)

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-01, 02:37 PM
We start at level 3, going up to around 7-8 by the end.

We won't always be inside the village walls; the party will often venture out onto the battleground to make flank maneuvers, destroy siege engines, etc. The culminating fight is against the general of the force on open ground. (Well, in a forest, but still.)

I'm going to agree with some of the others here, then, and suggest Arcana cleric. It just gives you some fun tools, you can grab a SCAG cantrip or two and work well in Melee with a short sword, and is a fun thematic fit.

Galadhrim
2018-02-01, 02:46 PM
Elf cleric kinda screams Arcana Domain for me, considering that in most D&D worlds, the prime elven deity (Corellon Larethian, or just Corellon) is a god of magic.

Even though it doesn't exactly make your weapon attacks any better (if you even need to worry about the 8th level domain feature for this one-shot, that is).

I always forget about the sword coast adventurer's domain, but arcana cleric would be a great fit for an elf. If you don't have the SCAG, I think knowledge domain would be the best fill in here.

Biggstick
2018-02-01, 04:24 PM
For a one shot, you should be focused on most bang for buck imo. As others have suggested, both Light and Arcana fit very well with Elves, and would be fantastic in a one-shot.

Normally I'm not a fan of suggesting the Life domain, but it could actually be quite good for your purposes. There is no need to actually wear the heavy armor, granted. You have the necessary weapon proficiencies through being an Elf. You can successfully use a Longbow and Spiritual Weapon (automatically on your spell list) on each turn to put out some decent damage. You'll still be a capable healer in if you pick up Healing Word. In fact, all of those heals will hit even harder, making you less likely to have to spend more slots on healing. You also get a bonus to your ranged attack damage once you're level 8.

All in all, it's a little less then what people expect from a Life Cleric and makes it a little more interesting by having it act as a ranged combat support compared to a melee combat support. Also, in a one shot, Life Clerics can make your entire adventure much easier, as long as your allies play smart.