PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying [Starfinder] Trying to run a Starfinder campaign

Vulkan
2018-02-01, 03:42 PM
I want to run a Starfinder campaign since my group never really does anything other than Pathfinder or Super Hero games.

I was thinking starting the game off in a colony with the the citizens turning into nano zombies and **** due to long term exposure to nanites in the colony's water supply. (Shut up its a science fantasy)

The players will have to escape from deep in the colony, back the ports to get to their ship or a ship in order to escape.

Does that sound like a good start?
Put in a plot hook so they have somewhere to go after of-course

But what do you normally DO in this game?

Florian
2018-02-01, 04:01 PM
But what do you normally DO in this game?

Same stuff as in PF: Kill stuff, loot, level up and such.

Generally speaking, look at the Knights of the Old Republic games for some inspiration. So yeah, generally speaking, you're off to a good start - just donīt have the enemies change yet. Have your players land on a trivial trade or diplomacy mission, lead them down to the center of the colony, have them witness the nano zombie tradition and fight their way back to their ship.

Psyren
2018-02-01, 04:11 PM
There are like, sooo many places you can turn for Sci-Fan inspiration - Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, BSG, Doctor Who, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mass Effect, Babylon 5, Dune, Fallout etc. You can also inject cyberpunk plots like Shadowrun, Deus Ex, Syndicate, Netrunner, Total Recall etc; Starfinder has rules for hacking computers, dealing with corporations and such too. And I haven't even gotten to all the anime examples yet.

Vulkan
2018-02-01, 04:17 PM
I just wanted to know what people normally do when they play this, before I turned it into ghost in the shell

Psyren
2018-02-01, 04:47 PM
Our group is planning to go more on the Firefly/Outlaw Star end - a ragtag band of talented misfits scraping to get by, who start out doing odd jobs and dealing with rival mercs, before getting thrown into a larger conspiracy and caught up among your standard shady superpowers (corporation/government/church.)

But before all that, probably a published module to get our feet wet in the system. I have a guide I'm working on that I hope will help people ease into the game.

Florian
2018-02-01, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to know what people normally do when they play this, before I turned it into ghost in the shell

GitS is a good and bad example at the same time, especially when it comes to SAC. The characters are already at the peak of their personal power, there is no growth there, the movies and series are about personal growth, insight and change, same as with, say, Neuromancer, something that "classic " RPGs are next to unable to handle.

Vulkan
2018-02-01, 09:11 PM
Our group is planning to go more on the Firefly/Outlaw Star end - a ragtag band of talented misfits scraping to get by, who start out doing odd jobs and dealing with rival mercs, before getting thrown into a larger conspiracy and caught up among your standard shady superpowers (corporation/government/church.)

But before all that, probably a published module to get our feet wet in the system. I have a guide I'm working on that I hope will help people ease into the game.

Oh my god, brilliant <3
Only problem being my players will murder foes like nothing

Telok
2018-02-02, 02:49 AM
GitS is a good and bad example at the same time, especially when it comes to SAC. The characters are already at the peak of their personal power, there is no growth there, the movies and series are about personal growth, insight and change, same as with, say, Neuromancer, something that "classic " RPGs are next to unable to handle.

It's something that level based systems and especially the d20s are bad at. There are a decent number of older systems that do just fine.

You can scrounge older sci-fi game modules for stuff too. Classic Traveller, Star Trek, old Gamma World, and I'm sure there are others.