PDA

View Full Version : Online rules disputes

quark12000
2018-02-01, 03:44 PM
What do you do when you're playing a game online and a dispute over the rules comes up? This has happened to me twice on a site that is supposed to be teaching players how to play online. First, when creating a character I wasn't allowed to give the fighting style Dueling to my fighter because he uses a shield, so I took Protection. I disputed this at the time time but was told that a character could only use Dueling if they had a melee weapon in one hand and the other hand is free. I found out later this is wrong. And on my second game with the same character I wasn't allowed to use Protection when next to an ally unless I was also within 5 feet of the attacker. This is clearly not true just by reading the rule, but I was knocked down again. Short of just quitting the site, what would you advise I do?

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-01, 03:50 PM
What do you do when you're playing a game online and a dispute over the rules comes up? This has happened to me twice on a site that is supposed to be teaching players how to play online. First, when creating a character I wasn't allowed to give the fighting style Dueling to my fighter because he uses a shield, so I took Protection. I disputed this at the time time but was told that a character could only use Dueling if they had a melee weapon in one hand and the other hand is free. I found out later this is wrong. And on my second game with the same character I wasn't allowed to use Protection when next to an ally unless I was also within 5 feet of the attacker. This is clearly not true just by reading the rule, but I was knocked down again. Short of just quitting the site, what would you advise I do?
If you cite the rules and rulings, and the DM is nerfing your Fighter by simply not understanding the rules, and it's on line, I'd recommend you walk.
You already have a good clue that this won't be a good fit given your own understanding of what you can do and your DM's view of same.

Emay Ecks
2018-02-01, 04:09 PM
DMs can make mistakes and misunderstand how rules work. After the session, just say "Hey, the fighting styles work differently than how you've ruled. Check page XX in the player's handbook (or relevant errata)." If the dm refuses to change how they rule, ask if you can build a new character, as they are making your current one weaker. If the dm doesn't change how they rule, and don't let you change your character, then I'd walk.

Kane0
2018-02-01, 04:46 PM
When it will make the least disruption to the flow of the game, make your case as reasonably and concisely as you can. It helps to have page references and other sources you are using handy, but this is often easier out of game than during. Your goal is to find an agreement and get back to the game and the fun, not win a court case and prove yourself right.
Then you take the DMs ruling. They may or may not agree with you, and that's OK.
If you are unsatisfied with the outcome don't hold up the game, approach the DM afterwards if you want to talk it over. If you cannot come to a compromise remember that it's a hobby you play for fun and if you're not having fun then no game is better than a bad one.

Malifice
2018-02-01, 09:07 PM
Can't you PM the DM privately with a polite email during the week, citing the relevant rules from the SRD?

It's poor form to argue in game, but nothing wrong with the above approach.

Something along the lines of 'Hey mate, during last week's game you said rule X works this way. I looked it up during the week and the rule actually says this (I copied this from the SRD) 'xyz'.

Here is also a link to sage advice confirming the above.

Can you have a read and tell me what you think?

Thanks for the session by the way.