View Full Version : Tensers transformation only wizard spell?!

Spacehamster
2018-02-01, 05:04 PM
Anyone else finding it odd that this quite nice combat spell is only on the wizard list? Would have preferred it to be a warlock mystic arcanum spell or on the bard list perhaps.

And yes aware that bards can poach it but it’s at an awkward spell level so you get it at level 14 as a bard and that’s only if you went pure bard.

Dyndrilliac
2018-02-01, 05:49 PM
IMHO, the spell isn't that great. In fact, I'd personally classify it as a trap choice. You only have a single 6th-level spell slot until it goes up to two at Wizard 19. There are a lot of 6th-level spells competing for that slot. Secondly, it requires concentration. Again, there are lots of great spells competing for your concentration. It only lasts 10 minutes, which will work out to one or two combats, maybe more if they are in particularly rapid succession. A wizard isn't likely to carry around medium or heavy armor just for the one time in the day they cast the spell (especially since their STR low and the spell does nothing to help that or boost carrying capacity). There are better ways to get advantage on weapon attack rolls, not that Wizards should be attacking with conventional weapons anyway (even with the extra 2d12 - which is 13 on average - they are still going to be way behind martials and actual gish classes in melee damage output). Then when the spell is over, you're likely to take a level of exhaustion. The only effect in the whole spell which I would say is worthwhile is the proficiency on STR and CON saves (although the Wizard already likely took Resilience [CON] or Warcaster), and they have spells which make STR saves unnecessary. Grappled? Freedom of Movement or Misty Step or Dimension Door. Need to climb? Fly. Or Polymorph. Or Spider Climb. Etcetera.

So yea, I'm not a huge fan. But If I were your DM and you had your heart set on this spell as a non-Wizard, I'd be okay with you taking it anyway. That's what house-rules are for.

Specter
2018-02-01, 06:36 PM
Valor/Swords Bard could enjoy it.

dejarnjc
2018-02-01, 06:39 PM
IMHO, the spell isn't that great. In fact, I'd personally classify it as a trap choice. You only have a single 6th-level spell slot until it goes up to two at Wizard 19. There are a lot of 6th-level spells competing for that slot. Secondly, it requires concentration. Again, there are lots of great spells competing for your concentration. It only lasts 10 minutes, which will work out to one or two combats, maybe more if they are in particularly rapid succession. A wizard isn't likely to carry around medium or heavy armor just for the one time in the day they cast the spell (especially since their STR low and the spell does nothing to help that or boost carrying capacity). There are better ways to get advantage on weapon attack rolls, not that Wizards should be attacking with conventional weapons anyway (even with the extra 2d12 - which is 13 on average - they are still going to be way behind martials and actual gish classes in melee damage output). Then when the spell is over, you're likely to take a level of exhaustion. The only effect in the whole spell which I would say is worthwhile is the proficiency on STR and CON saves (although the Wizard already likely took Resilience [CON] or Warcaster), and they have spells which make STR saves unnecessary. Grappled? Freedom of Movement or Misty Step or Dimension Door. Need to climb? Fly. Or Polymorph. Or Spider Climb. Etcetera.

So yea, I'm not a huge fan. But If I were your DM and you had your heart set on this spell as a non-Wizard, I'd be okay with you taking it anyway. That's what house-rules are for.

It's pretty good for a bladesinger who could be doing 1d8+dex+int + 2d12 damage with advantave and bladesinger also don't have to worry about putting on heavy armor AND the 50 temp HP is certainly nice.

That being said, a 6th level shadowblade will grant you 4d8+dex+int, possibly with advantage if in darkness which is probably better damage but no temp hp

PhantomSoul
2018-02-01, 07:02 PM
It's pretty good for a bladesinger who could be doing 1d8+dex+int + 2d12 damage with advantave and bladesinger also don't have to worry about putting on heavy armor AND the 50 temp HP is certainly nice.

That being said, a 6th level shadowblade will grant you 4d8+dex+int, possibly with advantage if in darkness which is probably better damage but no temp hp

My Bladesinger unfortunately started as a Fighter (meaning the Saving Throw Proficiencies aren't extra), and all Bladesingers lose out on the Extra Attack benefit, which is a pain. Plus there's not being able to cast any spells, which means no Shield or Absorb Elements for a defense boost. It's not bad, but the spell is a bit disappointing -- especially when you consider Haste. I'll surely still give it a shot, though, when I reach that level, but it might be a "spell of last resort" instead of something I use as a main strategy (and saving a 6th-level slot for it is a big request!). To me it almost screams Abjurer more than Bladesinger, not that it's explicitly bad for the Bladesinger.

dejarnjc
2018-02-01, 07:36 PM
Actually just thinking about it more and I think shadow blade beats out both tenser's and haste due to the bonus action casting time. A contingency haste spell might compare though. Too bad you can't contingency tenser's :/

Zene
2018-02-01, 10:07 PM
It’s not great for most wizards, true. But damn, can you base a sick high-level melee/ranged build around it:

0) Be a half-elf, and pick up elven accuracy.

1) Take any bard (whispers for max damage, though personally lore’s features more than make up for the lower damage; or swords if you want a more consistent playstyle pre/post Tenser’s) to L14.

1.5) (Optional): Take Find Greater Steed as one of your Secrets. Super pegasus (or whichever) beating up foes on the front lines.

2) Take Hexblade 1; now you’re using Cha to attack with your weapon; a SAD melee-er with doubled crit range once per rest. Figure out a way of getting 3+ attacks per round. XBE, shillelagh for offhand cha-based club attacks, polearm Master with a staff are all valid.

3) Take Battlemaster 3. Action surge and precision are the big wins.

4) Last 2 levels are up to you. Some possibilities: Paladin 2 to drop mega smites on your crits (which will already be doing a heckton of dmg thanks to the huge dice of Tenser’s). Bard 15/16 for more caster levels. Warlock 3 for invocations and pact. Divine Soul 1 for tons of goodies. Fighter 4 for another ASI.

Spacehamster
2018-02-02, 04:06 AM
It’s not great for most wizards, true. But damn, can you base a sick high-level melee/ranged build around it:

0) Be a half-elf, and pick up elven accuracy.

1) Take any bard (whispers for max damage, though personally lore’s features more than make up for the lower damage; or swords if you want a more consistent playstyle pre/post Tenser’s) to L14.

1.5) (Optional): Take Find Greater Steed as one of your Secrets. Super pegasus (or whichever) beating up foes on the front lines.

2) Take Hexblade 1; now you’re using Cha to attack with your weapon; a SAD melee-er with doubled crit range once per rest. Figure out a way of getting 3+ attacks per round. XBE, shillelagh for offhand cha-based club attacks, polearm Master with a staff are all valid.

3) Take Battlemaster 3. Action surge and precision are the big wins.

4) Last 2 levels are up to you. Some possibilities: Paladin 2 to drop mega smites on your crits (which will already be doing a heckton of dmg thanks to the huge dice of Tenser’s). Bard 15/16 for more caster levels. Warlock 3 for invocations and pact. Divine Soul 1 for tons of goodies. Fighter 4 for another ASI.

16 swords bard, 2 hexblade, 2 Paladin would be a decent way to use it, dual wield short swords for 3 attacks, wear full plate, max CHA and put rest in feats would be pretty good no? Elven accuracy, +2 CHA, resilient CON and warcaster probably?

Zene
2018-02-03, 03:49 AM
16 swords bard, 2 hexblade, 2 Paladin would be a decent way to use it, dual wield short swords for 3 attacks, wear full plate, max CHA and put rest in feats would be pretty good no? Elven accuracy, +2 CHA, resilient CON and warcaster probably?

Heck yeah. The two invocations could possibly be Agonizing and Repelling, if you wanted to have a strong ranged attack and position control option.