PDA

View Full Version : [Black Crusade] Daemon Vessel [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

LeSwordfish
2018-02-01, 05:51 PM
Daemon Vessel

Chapter One: Anathema

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549834-Black-Crusade-Daemon-Vessel-OOC)

The imperial ship had been opened up by asteroids as effectively as an anatomical specimen. Now it wallowed on the edge of the field, trailing a long spool of debris, opened up and gutted, killed by raw physical force by the side of its long road. They had been tracking the ship for nearly three weeks now, following the pilgrim vessel as it skimmed the edge of the Screaming Vortex on a path towards the Calixis sector. They had nearly lost it twice, but Maeve’s dreams had guided her true, and now they were approaching it, dazed, gutted, and helpless.

Tír na nÓg had been hungry for the kill, and Maeve felt she could feel a certain sullenness in its movements now, as they approached carefully, voids up to protect them from the same fate that had claimed the pilgrim ship. The daemon was still excited though, and it was as clear as ever what it wanted: there was something on this ship. Maeve couldn’t tell what it was, or why it was important - but the Daemon desperately wanted it, and that was enough.

The bridge of the ship was nearly silent as they approached. The hanging silks stirred in the recirculated air, and there was a chirrup, as a minor cacodemon crawled through the rafters, muttering to itself. Lydidas could feel the ship's excitement in the thrum of the engines, it's pulse rate rising as power through it's veins. More than a few of the reavers had expressed skepticism about what seemed like a wild goose chase, and now, with their goal within sight, most of the crew seemed too cautious than to talk any more than was needed for safe navigation.

One by one the targeting crews reported target locks, though it seemed entirely pointless: even as they watched, another asteroid struck the pilgrim vessel amidships, and an explosion boiled out into hard vacuum. It looked dead in the sky, depowered, blind, deaf. A very easy kill. By now they could see it by eye, though only as a spot of light reflected from the nearby star: it would take perhaps another half hour for them to reach it.

The master of etherics broke the silence. “Some scrap of power must remain on the enemy ship. They are hailing us. Do we wish to respond?”

OOC
Okay! I'm starting you in medias res - feel free to introduce your characters to "the audience", and start planning not just immediately how you want to respond to the hail, but how you want to continue in general.

We're not on Ship Combat yet, unless you want to attack - but consider that if you want to make something akin to a combat action, you have about one turn before reaching them.

Genth
2018-02-01, 06:10 PM
Prince Captain Maeve Shimmertalon leaned forwards, claws twitching in their piloting matrix, moving the ship with unheard-of precision. She is helmless for the moment, her red braids falling onto her shoulders, and her features maintain a look of savage hunger. When the Master of Etherics, a wiry, strange man with mutated, multi-layered ears speaks up, the Prince's gaze shifts over to him. "Most gratifying. A plea for help from a wounded animal." she says, and laughs softly. She turns to look at the officer's gantry, and inclines her head towards Spoons. "Adjutant. Attend me. We shall trick this poor vessel into opening up to us!"
she calls out. The sound of half-restrained anticipation cannot be kept from her voice. I shall be aboard soon, my dear. she croons to the ship in her mind. A twitch of her thumb, and her voice is suddenly thronging throughout the ship, bafflers built into the vox giving it an ethereal quality. "Soon, my clans, victims. I call upon the Ulst and the Med, to your boarding ships!" she says, naming two of the ships tribes - the two who had most recently given her most choice gifts from their conquest, and so would be rewarded with an easy, and enjoyable slaughter. Pilgrims would be choice victims for them.

After a moment, she beckons to her Vizier as well, calling him over to join Spoons and Maeve herself. "I shall vox the prey, and together, we shall convince them that we are here to rescue them. Gather all their people in the cargo holds, and make them easy slaves for us! Do you concur?"

Xenopax
2018-02-01, 08:44 PM
Horus strides toward Maeve. He had been standing with the Reavers all day. As their Warmaster he thought he should mingle with the common soldiers so they stayed loyal. When he had received the message that the Ship had been spotted Ashurian had immediately reported to the Bridge for orders. He strode lightly (for a man in full termie armor) and stayed away from the corners and other dark places. While there weren't many threats inside the ship it didn't hurt to make sure. The warp was a fickle thing after all. Daemons and oozes everywhere. Ripper 60 hung by his side ready to open fire if needed.
When he reaches Maeve he says:
"Is there any need for me to accompany the Reavers in case of a Loyalist guard, Lady Captain? Or shall I greet the new slaves? My presence should frighten any rebels into submission for the time being. "
His voice sounds Rough and he speaks gothic with a strange accent. Any Space marine atleast half as old as he was, would have recognized it as being From terra during the Crusade.
Horus highly doubted there would be any marines on the ship that would require him to go down, But he could provide An intimidation factor that would make the Pilgrims more likely to surrender.

Stupid writers block....

Caellath
2018-02-02, 02:21 AM
Khamet had been silent for hours, standing fairly close to the Lord-Captain's throne in case his opinion was necessary in any important or urgent matter. His gaze occasionally moved from the thick tome he was reading to the nearest augur station, analyzing the results for a few seconds before returning to his leisurely reading. As they approached the pilgrim vessel, however, the sorcerer's interest and the importance of the situation made him put away his book and concentrate on the image of the wounded ship before them. Hopefully there would be someone among the survivors with a smidgen of psychic potential, though he doubted he'd be that fortunate, specially because of the ship's nature.

The astartes drew closer when called, and his eyes narrowed behind the lenses of his helmet. "Why, yes, Lord-Captain. They will be far too eager to be saved and are unlikely to catch any tell of our true nature until it is far too late for them. We have only to make sure the charade is kept as long as possible and that the flocks in each bay are manageable. Far too many in the same place and emboldened by their numbers some might lash out or—worse of all—escape deep into the vessel." Khamet opined.

Morovir
2018-02-02, 02:48 PM
Lydiadas calmly appraised the situation in front of him, his eyes scanning the helpless ship in front of them. Not turning away from the viewport, he spoke, each word rendered a harsh growl by his helmet vox-unit.

"I advise indentured servitude. Lobotomy should solve any problems of disloyalty."

LairdMaon
2018-02-02, 03:27 PM
"MOM! HEY, MOM! CAN I GO WITH ULST?"

The piercing voice enters the bridge moments before it's origin does. The pale skinned young woman in bleached-bone-yellow light power armour runs in, helmet in hand, paying no heed to any tension in the room. "I WANNA SEE IF I CAN SHUT DOWN ANY..." She stops short when she notices how serious and dour everyone is.

"Umm... Sorry..."

With an obvious effort, the lass stands at something resembling full attention, "Captain Mom, Jinx reporting for duty. Requesting permission to join Ulst clan in the roles of Saboteur and Scout during the initial boarding of this prey ship."

Genth
2018-02-02, 04:05 PM
Maeve sits back in her throne, free hand reaching up to pull back a braid of hair and eyes closing for a moment. "Servitors are not the best of slaves, Forge Tyrant. The most rebellious ones yes, are yours to take. But we require humans, not machines." she remarks to Lydiadias. Claws twitch in their viscous pool, adjusting the ship's trajectory by the tiniest degree. "And yes, Jinx. You may go with the Ulst." she says, not even looking towards the girl.

Xenopax
2018-02-02, 06:21 PM
Horus is startled by the sudden burst of noise but he doesn't show it. When he sees the source he suppresses a smile. While Jinx was ,Tactically speaking, a disaster walking on two legs she made up for it with her enthusiasm. That and the fact Technology seemed to shut down around her.

Horus never understood Why she was allowed on the ship in the first place. Judging by her tales of the future and Abaddon, she was either a Tzeentchian agent sent to infiltrate and take over the ship (Even though they already had Khamet) or she was simply delusional. Daemons couldn't give birth....right? Horus goes down a mental rabbit hole on Daemons and Daemon Babies.

LairdMaon
2018-02-02, 06:55 PM
Jinx perks right back up at her future mother's words. "Thanks, Captain Mom!" She looks at everyone standing around, "Well? Am I going alone?" cuea playful pouty face, "No one wants to keep lil ol' me com'pny? Maybe spill some brain matter? Make meat-juice?"

Xenopax
2018-02-02, 09:28 PM
Jinx perks right back up at her future mother's words. "Thanks, Captain Mom!" She looks at everyone standing around, "Well? Am I going alone?" cuea playful pouty face, "No one wants to keep lil ol' me com'pny? Maybe spill some brain matter? Make meat-juice?"

"If permission is given I would be more than happy to come. It has been too long since I last entered the fray."
I'm terrified that if I end up joining Jinx in the fight then she'll turn off my termie armor's power.

Revanus
2018-02-02, 09:51 PM
Spoons nods to Maeve.

”Yes, Lord Captain. The plan is sound. Shall we be rogue traders today, or something more Imperial?”

Beneath his shimmering camo cloak, there’s a slight twitch. While Spoons generally attempted to keep his newfound capabilities under wraps, the metallic wings he’d recently sprouted were not as inanimate as they appeared.

”We’ll want to be in and out fast. The targets need to be out of the docking bays before they know what hit them, but we should go in heavy in case there’s resistance. The less time we’re exposed to asteroids, the better.”

Genth
2018-02-02, 09:57 PM
Maeve nods, curtly. "In truth, it doesn't matter if they resist upon seeing us. Once we're on the ship, they'll not be able to beat us." she says to Spoons. "I shall be the Rogue Trader Chastity Bravesky, and you shall be my guest whose credentials I am forbidden to speak of" she says with a knowing wink. She raises her free hand, and gestures towards the Master of Etherics. "Vox. Audio only." she commands, before sweetening her tones and smiling before she speaks.

"Hail Pilgrim Ship! This is Lady Captain Chastity Bravesky, of the ship His Tears Run Evermore. Are you in need of assistance?"

LeSwordfish
2018-02-03, 04:22 AM
The master of etherics made some minor adjustments, and the response was heralded by a shriek of distortion. "Hail and well met, rogue trader!" the returning voice proclaimed, deep and sonorious. "This is Confessor Jacobin, second master of the pilgrim vessel Light of Terra. By the emperor's grace, you have appeared to us in our hour of need." Maeve noticed more than a few of the crew wince at the unholy name. "We are in dire need of assistance indeed: Our shields and engines have failed, and our structural integrity is weakening. By your grace, we wish to perform an immediate evacuation."

Xenopax
2018-02-03, 09:44 AM
Horus finds himself salivating at the prospect of spilling blood. Luckily his head was enclosed within his helmet so no one saw or it could have been quite embarrassing. Ever since he discovered his Daemonic Name, he had become closer and closer to his world eater brethren Adopting quite a few of their Mannerisms. Luckily he had enough self control than to lose his mind in battle like they did.
Unlike most of his reavers, Horus doesn't show any reaction toward the pilgrims invoking of the Emperor. He had gone past such things when he and his brothers faced their Gene-Grandsire in battle. Granted he was not actually there but he had fought against Primarchs along with his Gene-Father before and it couldn't have been too different.

Horus begins a quick systems check over his weapons. Ripper 60 was Polished and Ready to go. His chain fist could have used a bit more sharpening but it wouldn't have any effect other than make it look dull. After confirming that all was in order he moved to board.

LairdMaon
2018-02-03, 10:57 AM
Jinx licks her lips and whispers, "It begins!" Console lights sparkle across her now glistening grin.

She skips back a step, twirls her helmet on one finger she giggles. Turning around on the skip, she takes off like a jackrabbit, slowing only to don her helmet. She has no intention of missing the boarding ships, she hopes to be the last on and first off.

Caellath
2018-02-03, 11:31 AM
Khamet hadn't even blinked or cared when Jinx barged into the control room shouting like an overexcited child. The sorcerer was already inured to her behavior, even if it was mostly a waste of energy and resources best spent somewhere. But alas. He'd grown to accept not everyone was willing or able to heed his words and achieve far more than they could possibly do on their own. He was content to let those seek their own paths as long as they didn't interfere with his or his pupils'.

"Remember our need of captives and do not go overboard." he calmly reminded the ones interested in joining the boarding parties.

Xenopax
2018-02-03, 11:46 AM
Horus slowly strides through the halls to the boarding ship. Being easily 3 feet taller than the largest of the Reavers, he still manages to out pace a good few. The Reavers give him space as he walks. He boards with the Ulst and stands next to the Captains seat. He says to Jinx "The Confessor's guard and any Astartes on the ship are mine. You can have the Confessor and any Techpriests if you want. Good?"

Revanus
2018-02-03, 12:02 PM
Spoons smiles at Maeve and signals to the Master of Etherics with his hand to briefly mute transmissions.

”Shall we play with them a bit? Ask them how they wound up in the asteroid field? Voice our concern that this may be a trap, so they must be unarmed if they are to come aboard? Else we will open fire on arrival?”

Spoons words are quiet, meant only for the Lord. Captain.

”After all, I’ve heard rumors that pirates may lurk in the area.”

LairdMaon
2018-02-03, 12:10 PM
"Thanks for the offer! I accept!" Jinx takes hold of a couple bracing straps and secured herself with efficiency not comply seen from her. "Just let me take out any automated defences if they become a problem, most can't see me."

She pauses and looks up at Horus' helmet. "You know, I never got to meet the first Horus. But I bet you are the nicer one. I like that."

Morovir
2018-02-03, 04:40 PM
Lydiadas does not turn to watch the boarding party leave the bridge. Instead, he opens up a private vox link to Horus.

"Do not let that idiot child jeopardise the mission. Keep an eye on her, and ensure she comes back in one piece."

Lydiadas does not trust Jinx. As far gone as he is in the eyes of the Imperium, even he has his limits for madness.

Genth
2018-02-03, 04:58 PM
Maeve continues with her softer, 'Imperium Approved' tones. "Naturally we are willing to give assistance, Confessor. We shall come aside you and evacuate your people posthaste! Howver" she pauses, as if to allow a slight regret and discomfort in her tones. "I must ask you to depower your weapons, and to have your people forsake any weaponry as they gather in the cargo holds. There are Pirates this close to the Screaming Vortex, and to help without caution is unwise. I apologize profusely for this, Confessor, I wish it were not necessary." she continues, weaving deception into her voice.

Decieve - TN53 (Assuming this is a challenging test. I'd argue for some bonuses given how desperate the Confessor is - [roll0]

LeSwordfish
2018-02-03, 08:09 PM
In response, the confessor's voice was still strong - but Maeve could definitely detect a note of relief. "Indeed. Our power supply has failed badly, and our weapons do not function, but I shall ensure that our crew and passengers assemble in the main launch decks and await you."

Genth
2018-02-03, 08:30 PM
Maeve nods, curtly, and cuts off the vox with a polite farewell. "Keep scanning them as we draw close. Confirm the status of their weapons." she says, softly, and withdraws her claws from the navigational matrix with a slight sigh. She stands, stretching out her arms, and after leaving navigation to the second helmsman, starts to make her own way towards the hanger bays. As she walks, the Prince places her terrifying helm atop her head and calls up her commanders - Horus, Spoons, Khamet, and the heads of the Ulst and Med clans. ++The Ulst, lead by Adjutant Spoons, will meet the pilgrims in the cargo holds. Spoons, I expect you to keep them orderly. Keep up the pretense as long as you seem feasible. Ulst, you will behave until they start to get rowdy. Then feel free to hurt them.++ she pauses a moment, then links Jinx into the conversation. ++Helmet on, Jinx. I want you to make a beeline for the cargo bay rear doors as soon as you can and render them inoperable. That should assist should the cattle decide to stampede. In the meantime, the Med, the Warmaster and myself will dock away from the main cargo holds and cut through with a boarding action. Some will make their way to the bridge, the others will cleanse the ship of any stragglers. Understood++". With that, she cuts the vox and speaks to Khamet through the small sorcery he often uses. //There is something on the ship I am looking for. Want to come and help me find it Khamet?//.

Xenopax
2018-02-03, 08:35 PM
"Thanks for the offer! I accept!" Jinx takes hold of a couple bracing straps and secured herself with efficiency not comply seen from her. "Just let me take out any automated defences if they become a problem, most can't see me."

She pauses and looks up at Horus' helmet. "You know, I never got to meet the first Horus. But I bet you are the nicer one. I like that."

"Thank You. Remember don't kill the confessor if we end up outed. He is an important bargaining chip. Pleasures can be explored with the other slaves once we get them all on the ship"
Horus is still convinced that Jinx is a Slaaneshi.

"Do not let that idiot child jeopardise the mission. Keep an eye on her, and ensure she comes back in one piece."

Lydiadas does not trust Jinx. As far gone as he is in the eyes of the Imperium, even he has his limits for madness.

Maeve nods, curtly, and cuts off the vox with a polite farewell. "Keen scanning them as we draw close. Confirm the status of their weapons." she says, softly, and withdraws her claws from the navigational matrix with a slight sigh. She stands, stretching out her arms, and after leaving navigation to the second helmsman, starts to make her own way towards the hanger bays. As she walks, the Prince places her terrifying helm atop her head and calls up her commanders - Horus, Spoons, Khamet, and the heads of the Ulst and Med clans. "The Ulst, lead by Adjutant Spoons, will meet the pilgrims in the cargo holds. Spoons, I expect you to keep them orderly. Keep up the pretense as long as you seem feasible. Ulst, you will behave until they start to get rowdy. Then feel free to hurt them." she pauses a moment, then links Jinx into the conversation. "Helmet on, Jinx. I want you to make a beeline for the cargo bay rear doors as soon as you can and render them inoperable. That should assist should the cattle decide to stampede. In the meantime, the Med, the Warmaster and myself will dock away from the main cargo holds and cut through with a boarding action. Some will make their way to the bridge, the others will cleanse the ship of any stragglers. Understood?". With that, she cuts the vox to just her and Khamet. "There is something on the ship I am looking for. Want to come and help me find it Khamet?".

++Very Well captain, I already had Spoons help me Disguise myself as a Loyalist so I should be able to withstand a few minutes scrutiny++

Horus walks out of the Ulst ship and heads to the Med one. Before leaving he taps the shoulder of the Ulst Leader and says " Take Care of the Girl. If she dies or is even moderately injured, Captain'll have my head and those of everyone who were near her,"

Horus takes a place behind the captains seat in the Med ship. He passes the time Talking to the Reavers and Joking with them.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-03, 08:39 PM
A nod from the mistress of auguries confirmed that the Confessor had been telling the truth - the ships generatorium was a ruin, and they barely had power to keep life support running. Repowering the weapons would be slow and difficult.

Caellath
2018-02-04, 01:47 AM
Khamet had made an habit of keeping a mental link with Maeve and extending it to the rest of the senior officers if necessary with but a thought. Telepathy was more reliable than micro-beads, the transmission of information instantaneous and unimpeded by any physical obstacles between the users. It was as easy to create as it was to maintain, and the sorcerer didn't mind keeping the link up for as long as he was awake.

//Of course, Lord-Captain.// Even when communicating mentally the Vizier managed to sound the same. //Are there any clues as to its nature?//

LairdMaon
2018-02-04, 10:38 AM
Jinx snickers before opening her vox mic and confirming that it's set to officers only. In a mock conspiratorial whisper she says, "Captain Mom, um... if I didn't have my helmet on, I couldn't have heard you tell me to put my helmet on... just sayin."

Switching to general channel and initiating the speaker box, she addresses the Ulst crew she is accompanying. "Gentlemen and assorted ne'er-do-wells! Keep an eye out for me, I gotta take care of some nice big doors. Help me get to them and you're invited to my place for the after-party! MUAH! I LOVE YOU GUYS!"

Revanus
2018-02-04, 11:29 PM
Spoons nods quietly and slides his ceramite helm on, the environmental seals hissing as they created an environment able to withstand hard vacuum.

”Understood, my Captain.”

Making his way down to the docking bay, Spoons voxes an order to have his gun servitor delivered to his boarding shuttle.

Genth
2018-02-05, 05:41 AM
Maeve swiftly makes her way to the Med's boarding vessels, smirking slightly as the door slides open to reveal the dark, cavelike interior. The Med's sense of style was categorically opposed to Maeve's, but she had a small appreciation for the way they utilized shadows and matte surfaces to give the impression of a flat world, with no depth. Naturally, she saw almost none of the Med themselves, though out of courtesy she hardly spent much effort looking. Once within, she inclines her head to the room at large. "I trust that you are ready, my shadowed talons" she says, and moves forwards towards the cockpit. //No real clues,
Khamet, but I suspect it is daemonic or otherwise psychic in nature. Not much to go on, I know, but such are the strains of the Immaterium, no?//

Revanus
2018-02-05, 09:08 AM
Passing through the ranks of the Ulst, the pirates part respectfully. As Spoons reaches a raised dias, he steps up and faces the assembled tribe.

”Let’s keep this simple, troopers. Today, speed is life. The longer this operation takes, the worse it is for all of us.

Our goal is to have a ship’s worth of targets board our vessels voluntarily and without resistance. If we are quick and careful, they will board without resistance, for their vessel is doomed and they think us rogue traders here to rescue them in the name of their rotting corpse god. We want to maintain this lie as long as possible. So, I want no excesses or abuses. If the mask falls, remember that we are on a failing ship in the midst of an asteroid field—unnecessary violence jeapordizes our cargo and our lives.

So, we are to act the part of the shepherd, though we are wolves. Fan out, secure the edges, and help our cargo into our ships with a smile. The faster we return with full loot, the greater the reward for all.

However, stay frosty. keep your eyes up in case we encounter resistance. While we don’t expect violence from this pilgrim ship, and while we enter under the guise of saviors, treat this as a grab ‘n go through a crippled target, and don’t get sloppy.

Understood? Good! Glory awaits, Ulst! To your ships!”

With that, Spoons turns and boards his command vessel, his gun-servitor trundling behind him.

Command (if needed):
[roll0] vs 52 + any modifiers (42 + 10 command + radiant presence + air of authority)

Caellath
2018-02-05, 10:18 AM
He'd expected that answer, but having hopes was the domain of his patron god. Having them dashed was also Tzeentch's area, unsurprisingly. It was most likely something with a psychic signature so the sorcerer wasn't too worried about finding it. It'd most likely be a simple matter of time.

//Daemons are hardly ever helpful, even when it would benefit them.// Khamet replied as he took position, left hand touching the Black Key's pommel. Almost at the same time, something that looked like a ghost at a glance glided down to land on the sorcerer's right pauldron. His avian familiar, covered in white feathers and similar to a Terran owl.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-05, 12:08 PM
A roar of assent went up from the waiting clans. After a long hunt, they were hungry.

It wasn't long until they'd pulled alongside, voids maxed to protect themselves from the pounding drift of the asteroids. The pilgrim ship had nearly been broken in half by the asteroids - judging by the glow of flames and the leaking chemicals, the rear section of the ship - including the enginarium - was nearly unsalvagable. The front two thirds or so seemed mostly intact, and it was towards this that the ragged flotilla of gun-cutters and shuttles launched, Clan Ulst launching themselves across the void. A ship like this would have several main launch bays and cargo holds, but - as the confessor had voxed - the passengers and non-essential crew had gathered in the main cargo loading bay, low on the ship's belly, and it was this that Spoons and Jinx targeted.

Spoons and Jinx
The cargo bay included a set of massive airlocks, each large enough to set down a few gun-cutters or shuttles in. From the bridge of one cutter, the heretics watched as the gargantuan doors closed behind them, followed by a second set of doors in front opening. Beyond them was a sea of humans - thousands at least, the pilgrims were crowded into every space in the loading bay, including sitting and standing on the battered old shuttles waiting on the launch rails. As best they could tell from here, most were unarmed civilians - adults, children, elderly men and women, they carried what bags they had been able to gather. Most had taken whatever holy items they owned with them - Spoons saw a man carrying a bundle of aged banners in his arms, and a pair of women wheeling a chunk of aged statuary instead of an entire barrow of needed supplies. A line of armsmen seemed to be holding them back away from the shuttles - seemingly armed only with batons, in an attempt to follow the instructions to be unarmed, it was a real challenge. Several individuals broke through the line and darted towards their rescuers, falling to their knees in supplication before the Urst vessels. The crowd was panicked and near stampeding: the rumble of the ship's deterioration was audible from here.

"There's far too many of them." Eris announced. The leader of the Urst was heavily built, arrayed with half a dozen sharp knives. Like many of her gang, Eris was a master bladeswoman - but her grasp of boarding battles and tactics had piqued Spoons' admiration. "We can take maybe a thousand at once, but there's three times that out there and more coming in. If they start running, they'll crush each other to death." She turned to Spoons. "Awaiting your orders."

Jinx was more concerned by the "more coming in." There were several doors into the cargo bay, and while she might be able to shut off all of them at once from some kind of control room, there looked to be a crowd all the way through the bay, and even into the corridors behind. They would need to push their way through the mass to get there.

OOC
Since Maeve and the marines will be attacking a little after Spoons and Jinx go in, you guys will be waiting a little OOC - at least until I know how well things are going with Team Spoons. We don't need to match the timings up entirely, but lets not complicate things right off the bat. That means Spoons and Jinx really need to be posting enough, since the sooner we're through the early stages of this, the sooner the others can rejoin.

As a reminder, when I make GM posts in spoilers, please reply in spoilers too! If you want to send vox messages to each other, you can post those outside spoilers - but other than that, don't read other people's spoilers! Your characters won't know whats going on at the other end if not reported - I think that will make for some cool tension in this scene.

LairdMaon
2018-02-05, 12:31 PM
Jinx gazes out at the masses eager for abduction, er... rescue. So many souls...

On a private channel to Spoons, ""Random lottery, first come first served... If I can get past them in the corridors, I can start shutting down their exits. Once we have our cargo I can disable the hangar doors while you leave. Space the excess. Your choice, hot stuff."

Revanus
2018-02-05, 02:28 PM
Spoons nods to Jinx.

”Aye—first come, first served.”

Spoons makes his way over to the cockpit, and takes over the loud-hailer.

“Pilgrims—heed our words. You are saved. We have a number of ships inbound and we will be able to take you all to safety. However, you must remain calm and orderly. My duty is to my troops first—if we feel threatened or overwhelmed, we will not stay.

Armsmen, sort your charges into blocks of 10 people by 10 people. Clear us a landing zone with a 200 foot buffer, we have other ships inbound. Pilgrims, get yourselves arranged. Listen to your armsmen. Leave your cargo behind, we have no room for relics or statues—only people. Place your able-bodied up front—our ship is not built for passengers, we can only safely carry those well-enough to stand on their own and shake off bruises and knocks. We have other vessels on the way which are better suited for passenger travel.”

Spoons turns to the pilot.

”Keep is hovering until we have a clear landing zone. Once it looks clean, take us down. Have gunners trained on the crowd and prepared to fire and suppress if the situation gets hairy.”

Finally, Spoons opens up a channel to Maive.

<My Captain, we have a good 4,000 pilgrims in the docking bay with thousands more arriving behind blast doors. We are having shipboard security arrange them into blocks. If we have additional cargo ships inbound, we may be able to take in more cargo. Otherwise, after we take off, the situation may become unstable. Be prepared to come in hot with shipboard weaponry.>

Revanus
2018-02-05, 02:47 PM
With a final instruction to the pilot, Spoons heads back towards crew cabin. Spoons hits a glowing rune on the wall, and a small cabin door slides upwards. Spoons grips a door hold and stands in the doorway, in clear view of the pilgrims and armsmen below. His light power armor and helm are framed by the open doorway, while a green exit light from above further illuminates Spoons. In his other hand, he grips an auxiliary loud-hailer control that’s tied into the ship’s comm system, and he repeats his message in soothing tones. Attempting to use radiant presence to get in view and help calm the crowd.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-05, 04:13 PM
Spoons, Jinx
The crowd seemed only a little cowed by Spoons' request. Perhaps asking them to abandon their relics had been a request too many? Either way, the armsmen were barely able to hold the line by themselves. Perhaps with weaponry they could have forced the crowd to comply, but with batons alone... Spoons himself, framed in the doorway of the ship, seemed a soothing presence anyway.

OOC
To clarify a little on the geography, you've landed most of your ships in the airlock, which has then cycled, so the "inside" door is open. To land any more ships requires cycling the airlocks again - closing the big "inside" door", thus spacing anyone around your ships. Whoever is operating the airlock controls is probably not keen on that.

In addition, merely Discordanting the controls will not necessarily close the doors. It should effectively prevent them from being reopened.

Morovir
2018-02-05, 04:37 PM
Following the captain and the other Astartes, Lydiadas takes his place on the Med vessel, secluding himself from the reavers, calculating possible outcomes of the attack.

Revanus
2018-02-05, 06:11 PM
Spoons views the milling pilgrims below and shakes his head.

"Ok Troops, we're setting down. Fan out and set up a cordon, as planned. Keep the cargo in line, fill us up, and then we go wheels up and scram."

Spoons then triggers his microbead.

<Pilot, set us down but keep the engines hot. Gunners, stay frosty. We may need to bug out fast. I can catch up in the air, worst case.>

Spoons resumed his attempts to calm the crowd as they come down.

Will attempt another command test, using an infamy point and the benefit of landing/deploying the Ult.

[roll0] vs 62 [42 +10 command + 10 infamy] + modifiers

LairdMaon
2018-02-05, 06:26 PM
The young lady shakes off a bit of excess energy as she watches the first few of Ulst step off the ramp. She darts out without a word and makes her way to the nearest wall. When she arrives at the wall she places one armored palm flat against it.
She is all business now.

Revanus
2018-02-05, 06:31 PM
<Commencing boarding of cargo. We don't have control over the docking air locks--making a beeline for that target to assert control over entry and exit.>

"Troopers, maintain standard protocol for boarding actions. Keep vac seals intact and be ready to engage magboots in case of vent to void."

LeSwordfish
2018-02-06, 04:20 AM
Spoons and Jinx
The menacing, heavily-armed troopers had rather more luck corralling the crowd than the armsmen had. Up close, the Ulst were nobody's idea of true imperial soldiery - while they had been asked not to bear chaos symbols openly, it was surely only so long before someone recognised an etching on a blade, or broke and ran and started a panic. For now, though, it was working - the fit and healthy were being loaded onto the ships, the unfit being forced to wait. This was not at all a popular policy - Spoons saw families pulled apart.

Jinx, meanwhile, felt the touch of her power crackle through the ship's hull, felt the merest flicker in the ship's heart. It was so vast and labyrinthine that her power couldn't hope to touch all of it - but she could shut down some small section without much difficulty.

OOC
Are you taking Lydiadas's advice to take the relics, or are you forcing people to leave them behind?

I'm not sure what Jinx is actually trying to do here - she definitely cant shut down the whole ship. I think she needs to get to what she needs to shut down and do it from there.

LairdMaon
2018-02-06, 11:39 AM
Moving slowly along the wall, Jinx keeps her hand touching the steel surface. She pushes past the throngs of desperate people toward the hallway doors quietly.

Revanus
2018-02-06, 11:42 AM
Spoons head backs into the cabin of the vessel. He shakes his head sadly in the gloom.

Everyone on this ship is already dead. Those left behind will be the lucky ones.

Spoons knew the life of a slave. He found it distasteful that Maeve's Cruiser did not use servitors instead of slaves. Servitors did not suffer or entertain dreams of revolt. But perhaps that was why the ship used slaves—for the suffering. Still, Spoons kept his reservations mostly to himself. He had seen far worse horrors in Imperial service—and Spoons was happy to lay the blame of such slavery at the Emperor’s feet—for was it not the Empire who built the cruiser that needed to be manned by slaves (lobotomized or not) in the first place?

In the ship, Spoons quickly comms Jinx and grabs a few tech-minded Ult to follow him through the crowds towards the airlock station.

”Heading up to the airlock control center. If you think you can make it through the crowd quietly and that you won’t throw off the airlock functions, you’re welcome to join. Otherwise, stay by the ship and help enforce the barricade—we’ll be wheels up soon and there may be a stampede.”

With that, Spoons quietly slips his camo cloak over his head and quickly exits the ship from the rear, quietly attempting to meld into the crowd and towards the control center. The tech-savvy crewmen follow a few steps behind.

Stealth and Move to Docking Control:
[roll0] vs 62 (42 base +20 camo cloak) + modifiers (-20 to spot in crowd in opposed test [unremarkable] + any modifiers related crowd attention/chaos of situation)

Moving at speed 4 (or 8 due to flyer speed boost? If it would hamper stealth, would just move at 4 barring some type of destabilizing emergency)

LairdMaon
2018-02-06, 12:39 PM
"Captain Mom wants these doors sealed so that's my priority. If you gotta blow the air lock just give me the word so I can grab hold of something.
Don't worry, I gots my own atmo. Entering first corridor note."

As she heads down the first corridor she pushes to move a bit faster. At the doorway she activates the hatch control stud to close it. Once it shows secured she flexes her willpower to disable it.

Discordia [roll0]

Revanus
2018-02-06, 12:51 PM
Spoons responds quietly and under his breath as he weaves through the crowd.

"Understood. Just stay away from the major air locks. We need them to cycle. The hallways are unimportant, and we don't want dumb failsafes to trigger and keep our ships locked in."

LeSwordfish
2018-02-06, 01:35 PM
Spoons and Jinx
The nearest door was a narrow passenger door, set to the side of a massive cargo hatch and raised slightly on a walkway. Both it and the cargo hatch were crowded with people trying to push through - the two Ulst gangers with Jinx had to force their way through for her, physically shoving people out of the path. The crowds seemed very concerned about this, some even turning and trying to push their way back through away from the heretics - but such was the commotion in the rest of the room, this seemed to go mostly unnoticed. Spoons' unremarkable figure drew less attention, despite his power armour, and the Ulst were sufficient to get him to, and then through, one of the main cargo hatches.

Jinx's door at least had a small control pad she could close it by, and her bodyguards could part the crowd enough to let it close, but looking around, neither could see a control for their main cargo hatch. They were probably controlled centrally from a control room near the hangar. What's more, they were so vast it was impossible not to notice them shutting. Once they were sealed, the room would be basically cut off - which was good, because it would almost certainly send the crowd into a panic.

OOC
There are three major cargo doors, each leading to a haulage corridor towards the main cargo bay. These are big - you could comfortably drive a couple of baneblades through- and about a metre Each has a pair of small personnel doors on the sides, man-size doors used so you don't need to open the cargo doors just to get people through. It's one of these Jinx has closed. These small doors have buttons but the big ones don't- though you know from your experience of shipboard life that the local controls can be remotely shutdown, so an atmosphere breach in the loading bay doesn't allow one absent-minded staffer to vent half the ship.

Discordant, by the rules, only deactivates a device for a single round: you need to add 7 to the threshold to permanently deactivate it. As such, Jinx has sealed this door and prevented it from reopening - but only for a few seconds. These small doors are pretty simple, so the threshold is 13 - meaning to permanently shutdown a door like this, she needs to roll a 20.

Caellath
2018-02-06, 03:18 PM
There was little to do but wait, and Khamet was familiar with long periods of quiet immobility. While there was no true silence to be found thanks to his superior senses, further enhanced by the power armor, picking up the slightest noises coupled with the occasional transmission from Spoons, those weren't loud enough to be considered distractions.

Slowly stroking his psychic familiar's wings with a hand after it jumped down to rest over his right forearm, the sorcerer elected to spend his time with a superficial and preliminary scan of the ship for any psychic signatures. That way he'd be able to tell whether any of the slaves held promise, and also if what the daemon was interested in could be easily pinpointed.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-06, 03:59 PM
Khamet
To Khamet's warp eyes, the pilgrim vessel was drenched in psyk - not uncommon for a ship that spent so much time in the empyrean. It was still possible to pick out the brighter sparks of psykers aboard, though. A few reasonably strong psykers were aboard - presumably the ship's astropaths and navigator. One was high in the ship, somewhere on the command deck, while the others were low, near the cargo bay from which Spoons was supervising the unloading. Down there in the crowd, Khamet could sense a few minor wyrds too - nascent psykers. Unsurprising in such a large group.

Maeve, Khamet, Lydidas, Horus
The nearest docking bay to the bridge was on the ship's spine, and their shuttle made the journey to it quickly. This section of the ship seemed almost completely dead, though mostly untouched by the asteroids. Perhaps they had already abandoned it, or perhaps the life support had been depowered here to support those sections with civilians who might not carry void gear as standard. It would be surprising if the bridge was completely empty, though - a skeleton crew would be needed to manage the failing ship's power.

This docking bay was a long corridor that could be extended from the ship, allowing dignitaries to walk directly aboard without the hassle of landing the ship. Right now it was retracted and dark, though: it could almost certainly only be operated from inside the ship. There would be other hangars or bays nearby that might be more suitable, but would force them to walk further through the interior of the ship. Or, of course, Horus thought, gunning his chainfist idly, should they reach the outer hull of the ship, there was always brute force: an external door wouldn't be hard to break through.

Genth
2018-02-06, 04:49 PM
Maeve smirks within her helmet, as she looks across the vast plane of the ship 'below' her, eyes flickering from point to point. "Warmaster, do you have your keys on you?" she jokes, lightly as she pilots the ship in close. Carefully, and with expert grace, she brings the boarding vessel to an external hatch, and with a gentle 'bump', the ship connects, and the magnetic clamps engage. She smiles, as she powers down the engines, letting the ship cling to the behemoth like a tick. She stands, slowly from the pilots chair, and reaches over to grasp her claws and reconnect the gauntlet to her armor. "Horus? Breach."

Revanus
2018-02-06, 05:17 PM
Spoons continues through the blast doors and down the passageway, keeping his eyes peeled for any hint of the airlock command center that his void-faring instincts tell him must be nearby. As he walks, he whispers something into his microbead.

continue walks while searching for the airlock command center:

Ways to find--
Awareness: [roll0] vs 42 (32 + 10 autosenses)

Trade: voidfarer: [roll1] vs 32

Total recall: to remember or infer where the airlock control would be based on voidfairing knowledge or a pre-departure briefing about this specific ship's schematics/maps--as this room would be a target that Spoons would make effort to locate.

Caellath
2018-02-06, 05:20 PM
++There are dormant psykers amidst the crowd... And a number of psychic guests close to the cargo bay. Be mindful of the astropaths in the event you initiate combat.++ Khamet warned over the vox-comms. He idly wondered how beautiful the spectacle would be in case stress triggered the awakening of all the unenlightened children in the cargo hold. It would certainly be a waste if they died before even being taught how to deal with their powers.

Khamet watched in silence as the team prepared to board the pilgrim ship, standing closer to the back where he was simultaneously protected from any unexpected resistance and graced with a better perspective of the situation ahead of them.

//A cursory look at the vessel indicates nothing outstanding. One of the signatures is located at the command bridge... Most likely the navigator. There is the possibility the daemon's interest might lie in a relic or shrouded item.//

Genth
2018-02-06, 05:32 PM
//When we get to the bridge, we will get information from the Confessor, should he be there.//

LairdMaon
2018-02-06, 05:48 PM
When the control turns to life, Jinx bites back a curse and takes the time to get the job done.

[roll0]

LeSwordfish
2018-02-06, 06:58 PM
Spoons and Jinx
The control room for the loading bay was easy enough to find, Spoons climbing a narrow metal staircase and crossing one of the main cargo roads via a gantry. The door wasn't locked, and when Spoons entered he found only a single tech-menial there, staring out through the window with a look of fixed panic. The menial turned at the sound of the power armored tread and started.

"What- what are you doing here?" he asked "Can I - can I help you?"

---

Downstairs, Jinx watched the control panel sputter back into life again. This door was clearly too simple a machine spirit to be put down that easily. Her Urst companions seemed uneasy: the press of the crowd was starting to send more people their way. Jinx would soon have an audience.

LairdMaon
2018-02-06, 07:24 PM
"Spoons, this might take a minute longer than I asked for. Damned simple tech doesn't respond too well. I'll check in when it's dead and I'm moving to the next target."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Xenopax
2018-02-06, 09:34 PM
"With pleasure captain"
Horus walks up to the door and switches on his Chainfist. The whirr of the spikes is very calming. He winds up and throws a punch at the door. Then another.

[roll0]: Strength (79)

LairdMaon
2018-02-06, 10:08 PM
Glancing at her Ulst guardians, Jinx switches to their channel. "One down, boys. On to the next?", she breathes out.

Once again, she moves on with due haste.

"First door dead. Moving to second."

I'll make a post each time Jinx moves to a door and at rach door. This should allow stuff to happen if it's gonna happen while not taking up too much time.

I hope.

Caellath
2018-02-06, 11:07 PM
Djet took off to fly close to the ceiling of the troop compartment like an avian ghost while Khamet watched Horus move ahead then prepare to open the airlock.

//I do wonder if the situation at the cargo bay is stable enough to accommodate our current approach.//

Genth
2018-02-06, 11:48 PM
Beneath her helmet, Maeve laughs. //You worry entirely too much, Khamet. If anything, boarding while the sheep are distracted with the evacuation helps us.// she replies, slightly chidingly.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-07, 06:55 AM
Maeve, Horus, Khamet, Lydidas
Horus' chainfist bit deep into the metal, and began to tear it up. The boarding tube filled with shards of flying metal, a blizzard that would have flayed a mortal but was barely audible through the Terminator armor. The boarding hatch wasn't designed for punishment that could tear open a super-heavy, and with a combination of the chainfist's tearing blades and the powered fist tearing, eventually a hole was torn large enough for Horus to force his way through. The others followed, weapons ready, a line of Med clansmen taking up the rear. The inner hatch was similarly destroyed, allowing Horus to step through into the interior of the ship. The ship's lighting was turned down to a dull red glow, and though there was air here, Maeve could smell that it was starting to go stale: it was breathable, but the scrubbers were off. Within a few hours, this section of the ship would be uninhabitable.

The clank of footsteps on metal indicated that their arrival had been noted. Before they could react, a figure rounded the corner ahead of them: it looked to be an armsman or member of the ship's crew. He clearly wasn't expecting the massive armed resistance he saw: his shotcannon wasn't even in his hands. He spotted them, froze for a second, and then turned to run.

OOC
Don't bother rolling initiative if you want to kill this guy, just make your attacks. If he survives though, or if you make too much noise, then word will get out. He's currently 25 meters away.

Lets say you have a Magnitude 20 Horde of Med.

Spoons, Jinx
As Jinx turned towards the next door, a pair of armsmen stepped out of the crowd towards her. One had clearly ignored Maeve's instructions to disarm, and was carrying a heavy shotcannon as well as his truncheon.

"Excuse me," the less well-armed one said. He was short and fair-haired, and looking at Jinx with suspicion - he was clearly unsure what their rescuers were doing here. "We need to get this door open. Help in the evacuation, like."

OOC
If Jinx wants to fight, roll initiative.

Revanus
2018-02-07, 09:04 AM
Before entering the room, Spoons makes a quick comment on comms.

”Pilots, remember to give me a heads up once your birds are full. Then I want you hovering off the deck as soon as you’re good to go. I don’t want you getting swamped.”[/COLOR

He then enters the aircraft control room with his Ulst techies, shutting the door behind him. He nods to the the menial.

[COLOR="#008000"]“Yes, lad. I need your help. We all do. I have rescue ships in the docking bay and more coming in. We will need to cycle the airlock soon so I can get as many people as possible off this hulk. How long does it take for the airlock doors to close? Is there an alarm we can trigger to get people out of the docking bays?”

“I can see you’re scared. You know that this ship is dying. In some ways, we’re all already dead. I’m asking you to do your duty, and doing one’s duty can be hard. But if those doors don’t cycle, everyone dies. I believe you can do your duty. Can you do your duty, son? Can you save some lives?”

Actions:Deception:
[roll0] vs 57 (42 + 10 deception + 5 armor) + modifiers (radiant presence if it helps, etc.)

Caellath
2018-02-07, 10:02 AM
Noticing the lone crew member, Khamet concentrated for a moment while gesturing with one of his fingers for the man to move towards him in a "come hither" motion that was far more dangerous than the norm.

Specially because the man was telekinetically dragged a few meters towards the group.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-07, 10:53 AM
Spoons & Jinx
The tech-menial seemed reassured by that, and turned back to the window. "The airlocks will take a few minutes to cycle: I've disabled the retention drains so we don't need to wait for the pumps to get all the air out of the lock before we can cycle it. It'll take longer on the way back in, but I can trim that down too, if you don't mind a bit of a, uh, breeze."

"There's a siren and I can make an announcement, but there's, uh, there's so many people I don't think we can rely on them to be listening. If your, uh, soldiers... if you can keep them away from the doors, that'll be better."

Revanus
2018-02-07, 12:02 PM
Spoons nods to the menial and to his two tech-savvy troopers.

”Good man. When I give the word, trigger the doors and the siren. We’ll do our best.”

Spoons then takes a step back and whispers a few things into his comms.

———-

”Jinx, start heading to my position. Wheels up soon.”

“Pilots, give me a status update. ETA to departure?”

“Techs, you know the drill. Observe the menial in case we need to operate the doors.”

<Captain, mission progressing smoothly. Do you want us to link up with you, or head out with the transports?>

Xenopax
2018-02-07, 12:15 PM
Horus aims and fires at the Man in one smooth movement.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-07, 12:39 PM
Spoons & Jinx
"Call it five minutes." Eris replied. "I've called another wave of shuttles in - they're outside ready to land now. The empr'r botherers're getting antsy here though. Sooner or later someone's going to end up on a sword, and there aren't nearly enough of us to hold them if they stampede."

Revanus
2018-02-07, 12:57 PM
Spoons quickly whispers his response.
“I want wheels up in two. Start pulling back and get the birds off the deck. Have second wave standby—not sure if we can afford another boarding.”

Two minutes later, Spoons turns to the tech.

“Ok lad. Trigger the doors and give me the comms. We should have enough room to take on the current number of pilgrims in cargo. I’ll let you know when to trigger the siren, but we don’t want to start a panic.”

Spoons will wait for confirmation that his ships are hovering before hitting the siren or making an announcement.

Morovir
2018-02-07, 01:43 PM
Shaking his head at human ineptitude, Lydiadas lines up his bolter with the armsman and fires.

Genth
2018-02-07, 02:41 PM
Maeve's head snaps around to Lydiadias, helmet eyes glowing. ++I could have caught him, Forge Tyrant.++ she replies, shortly, the echo of the bolter explosion still ringing. She gives her head a small shake and starts moving, striking out in the direction of the bridge.

++No, Adjutant. Once you've got our prizes, return with the Ulst. We only have an hour or so before air becomes a problem, and trying to meet up on a less-than-familiar ship is just asking for trouble.++

LairdMaon
2018-02-07, 02:52 PM
So much going on at once! And now these two rubes want to be a problem? It's almost too much!

When the armsman questions her, Jinx steps towards him only to receive instructions from Spoons. So, with an exaggerated motion, she raises one hand to the side of her helmet and one in front of the armsman's face. She holds her hand there with her index finger raised. It's one of the oldest expressions ever: 'wait a moment'.

Turning slightly away and allowing the Ulst-men to crowd the aberrant cargo, she respondes to Spoons.

"That's going be a negative on me getting to the ship, Spoons. I've got a couple guys here trying to start some trouble. Blow the place if you need,
I'm gonna grab onto something. I wouldn't complain if did it sooner than later."

Morovir
2018-02-07, 02:59 PM
Lydiadas looks blankly at Maeve. ++But you did not. I did what was necessary. Furthermore, in the state this ship is in, one more detonation is hardly going to warrant panic.++

LeSwordfish
2018-02-07, 03:36 PM
Spoons and Jinx
"Understood." Eris said. "Pulling back now."

Spoons watched from the window as the ragged line of Ulst began to pull back, hassling a line of pilgrims up the shuttle's ramps behind them. The crowd filled in behind them like water, flowing across the airlock threshold. Some were trampled underfoot as the crowd moved, and Spoons saw the familiar flash of red blood, as an Ulst defended the boarding ramp at blade-point. There were screams from the crowd.

Jinx heard them, from her position behind the door. The crowd surged forward, and she heard a gaggle of voices rising as they moved.

"What's wrong?"
"Are they taking off?"
"Are they leaving us?"
"They're leaving!"
"No, please, no they can't."

An elderly woman in the rush fell, and the two armsmen waded in, their attention distracted from Jinx. It looked like returning to the ship would be even more of a challenge now.

Maeve et al.
The distinctive rattling of a bolter echoed away through the corridors, slamming the unfortunate armsman across the room and against the wall in a spreading pool of blood. Before Maeve could elaborate on her objection to Lydiadas, Horus opened up with his autocannon. Somehow the armsman had survived and been crawling for the exit - but Horus hit him in the leg, turning him into a fleshy mess below the hip. The Armsman screamed, hideously, piteously, long shrieks of horror that echoed away through the corridors and brought the heretic's conversation to an awkward halt. When they died away, further sets of footsteps were audible, moving in their direction.

Genth
2018-02-07, 03:49 PM
After a moment, Maeve laughs. "On the other hand..." she says, grinning widely and activating her claw and blade. "Time for a bit of FUN, I think!" she says, voice coming through her helmet distorted, sing-song. With impressive speed, she runs down the corridor towards the nearest corner, skidding to a stop and waiting there, leaning against the metal of the corridor for the first sign of flesh to tear at.

Revanus
2018-02-07, 03:58 PM
Spoons whispers something into his microbesd and nods to the tech.
”Doors are closing and birds are taking off. Make your way to the airlock control center. Things are about to get wild—might see some turbulence in the crowds.
”Lock the door to this command center. Keep the doors closing and give me the PA for the docking bay. When I finish, hit the siren.”

As Spoons sees his birds lift off to a hover, he raises the Vox-receiver to his helm.
“Pilgrims, we have more waves of ships inbound to assist. Please step back and evacuate the docking bay in an orderly fashion. We cannot bring in more rescue boats without cycling the airlock. Repeat, evacuate the docking bay calmly.”

He turns to the tech-menial.

“Hit the siren. What’s the ETA on airlock cycling? If we need to get people out in void suits, are there access paths to the docking bay that function while it’s exposed to the void?”

Revanus
2018-02-07, 04:08 PM
<Understood. Birds are taking off. Conditions may not allow for a second wave of pickups, but I’ll get Jinx off this hulk with me.>

LairdMaon
2018-02-07, 05:02 PM
Jinx taps her Ulst cohorts on the shoulder and breaks into a run. She jinks and dives into the edges of the mob, seeking a path to the ship.

"Don't wait for me! If I'm not there when you shove off, just keep going! I'll find something to hold onto!"

Caellath
2018-02-07, 05:55 PM
++Do tell if the situation deteriorates and you need a distraction in the cargo bay. I... Do happen to have one in mind.++

Khamet mentally sighed as he watched the mess before following the group.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-07, 05:56 PM
Spoons & Jinx
Spoons' words across the vox, and the wailing of the siren, did little to persuade the crowd. They surged forward, now driven to a full panic by the ships taking off. Some attempted to scramble aboard the shuttles: others were roasted by the downdraft of the engines. There was a loud bang as a pilgrim and the massive relic he had been carrying was dragged into the engines of one battered Arvus, and Spoons winced as it staggered, fell and exploded, burning the crowd for tens of meters around it.

"I can't cycle the airlock like this!" the technician objected. "We'd be spacing hundreds of them! Please, you have to make them back off."

Jinx, however, was finding it hard to push her way through the crowd - in fact, it would have been hard to even draw her weapon in this press. Power armor made her an effective bulldozer, but one of the two Ulst behind her overbalanced and was crushed beneath the crowd's feet. Someone fired a shotgun nearby, jerking Jinx's head to the side and crazing one eye of her visor. Several had been killed by the blast, but the press was such their bodies couldn't fall.

OOC
I'd like a strength or agility check from Jinx please - or if she can think of some other way of breaking through the crowd, roll me something for that.

Is Jinx headed to the ships and the airlock (much further) or, as Spoons commanded, the control room (closer).

Maeve et al
Maeve was right to hide at the corner - a man in eclesiarchial robes rounded the corner, brandishing a chainsword, and Sweetest Slice bisected him neatly. There was a pair of shotgun blasts from behind as another imperial ran into the med, and then Horus' autocannon started up again, smashing apart two servitors as they advanced through a hatch ahead. This was the soundtrack to their journey to the bridge, and it was a glorious symphony indeed: it seemed that most of the remaining crew of the ship in this area was either coming to investigate or fleeing, and one by one the heretics killed them all. Their path took them through some of the main corridors of the ship's command deck, before ascending an elevator towards the bridge itself.

In contrast to the carnage below, the bridge level was relatively quiet. They could barely hear the normal shipboard hisses and ticks over the thump and grind of Horus' terminator armor, and no more crew appeared in a futile attempt to accost them.
The bridge doors themselves were vast, designed in the shape of an aquila as if that of a cathedral. They stood ajar a little, and inside the bridge was darkened, and seemingly silent.

Revanus
2018-02-07, 06:42 PM
”The airlock has to cycle and it has to cycle now. This ship is dying, lad. If the airlock doesn’t cycle, every soul aboard his vessel is dead. The only ones that have a chance at living are those aboard my transports and those that will board the next wave. This is not your fault. But you must do your duty. Cycling the airlock is the only way for you to saves lives.”

Spoons unholsters his long las, but doesn’t point it at the tech.
“I was once a guardsman. Now I fight in the shadows, you see. I can use a man like you on my team, a man who does his duty in the face of harsh challenges. Do your duty, and you will join me off this ship. If you can’t, I understand, and I and my men will bear the burden of duty for you. But the airlock must cycle for anyone to survive this hulk.”

Spoons then resumes his PA calls for everyone to evacuate and allow the second wave if transports in.

Decieve (will spend infamy point for +10 if this is he only test needed to keep airlock cycling, otherwise will let it ride): [roll0] vs 57/67 + modifiers

Adjust tn as needed if this is command, etc.

Genth
2018-02-07, 07:10 PM
With each kill, Maeve seems to get a little faster, and in contrast to others who might growl or vocalize, Maeve herself is silent, her focus absolute. She passes up easy slices on occasion in order to go for the flashier, more skilled kill. While Sweetest Slice covers the air with the fragrance of summer amasec, making each kill with precise grace, Choicest Cut does the more visceral work, driving deep into stomachs, lacerating faces into ribbons of meat. Then, however, she reaches the Bridge doors, and here she stops.

Maeve's lips purse beneath her helmet, and those around can hear a soft, strangled groan. Such an obvious trap, and yet, such a strong desire to continue her momentum and just charge in. With a sigh, she pulls herself away from the door and faces the others. ++Horus, proposal - you go in first, and soak up the fire from their ambush attack, with us rushing in right after. But open to other suggestions, if the Tyrant or Vizier have any tricks up their sleeves?++ she quietly voxes to Horus, Lydiadias and Khamet, gesturing for the Med to stop their movements.

Revanus
2018-02-07, 07:53 PM
Spoons quickly whispers a few things into his microbead.

"Jinx, hunker down. Then find me in the airlock command. I'll fly us to the ships."

Command channel:<Will it interfere with the transports' ability to fly?>

Xenopax
2018-02-07, 07:58 PM
++"Very Well,"++
Horus crashes through the door with his gun raised. He unleashes a hail of bullets against anybody he sees inside.

Caellath
2018-02-07, 08:58 PM
++The distraction does not interfere with the machines. It might give the pilgrims something productive to strive towards. It should also direct their attention away from you if that is something you find yourself in need of.++

Khamet cared not to swing his sword around and spill such pitiful blood when there were others who'd happily do it. The sorcerer remained in silence, his familiar silently flapping its wings few meters above him while he followed the group.

That is not to say he didn't contribute his share to the advance. The unfortunate souls who decided to escape found themselves suddenly slipping and being dragged back towards the team screaming, while those who tried to charge at the armsmen had an unlucky tendency of finding themselves either pushed away and into someone's line of fire or smashed against a steel wall. Overall, Khamet didn't put effort into direct kills and seemed perfectly happy with using his powers for the occasional helpful nudge. Killing was just a means to an end for someone like him.

++If they have any shred of intellect, they have set up a trap or an ambush. I will look into the Immaterium once more...++ the sorcerer told Maeve, concentrating for a few moments while keeping a safe and healthy distance from the bridge's doors.

Revanus
2018-02-07, 09:19 PM
Command channel:

<As long as it won't affect our pilots, go ahead. We need them to head back into the ship and out of the docking bay.>

Revanus
2018-02-07, 11:40 PM
Spoons quietly whispers another quick statement into his microbead.

"Pilots--be aware that friendly psychic distraction is incoming. Keep control of your birds and pass the word along to troopers. Also, you are weapons free to open fire if pilgrims get too close. I don't want to lose another bird."

Caellath
2018-02-07, 11:44 PM
++Excellent. Tell the armsmen to ignore what they hear in their minds next, as it will be my doing. That also works for you.++ And with that said, Khamet rose a hand and began to concentrate.

Revanus
2018-02-08, 12:01 AM
Spoons nods quickly and continues to whisper into his microbead under his helm.

"Pilots--telepathic message incoming. Brace for impact and ignore content--send the word down the line. Make sure cargo is secure and the troopers are ready for any bumps in the road. "

Command Channel:
<Acknowledged. But keep it mild. Situation is under control--pilgrims just need a little nudge out of the airlock, not a wildfire. I have birds hovering in the air and airlock is cycling.>

LairdMaon
2018-02-08, 12:04 AM
Upon receiving Spoons' instructions, Jinx drops to the ground and gropes around for a strap, tie-down, or grate. Anything to hold onto against heavy force. Once she has one she braces her feet on either side of her safety point.

"Spoons! Pop the 'lock! The sooner you let the air out, the sooner this idiot stops shooting at me and starts gasping!"
With a effort of will Jinx forces her power at whatever tech is directly below the deck, hopefully she can shut down the artificial gravity...

[roll0]

Revanus
2018-02-08, 12:19 AM
Beneath his helm, Spoons grimaces.

Jinx is taking fire?

"Working on it, but might be a few minutes. Try and get to the ships--they can give covering fire. Shuttles are getting airborne, but I can try to detach a strike team from them if situation is dire?"

Caellath
2018-02-08, 01:11 AM
Spoons' mention of the situation being under control immediately took Khamet out of his psychic concentration ritual and made him flex his right fist, snuffing the vibrant emerald flames previously licking his gauntlet and held staff. The implied context indicated things might not be going as swimmingly as foreseen before they made their move. Still, the ex-acolyte had been given the task and since he claimed things were under control and in no need of a psychic nudge...

++If the situation is under control as you say, there is no need for my contingencies as of now. It would turn pilgrim against pilgrim, but it could disrupt your stage in case all the pieces are properly set. Do tell if the scenario gets out of hand.++

Revanus
2018-02-08, 01:29 AM
Command Channel:

<Understood. Situation is controlled.

Note that we are about to go weapons free to push back a few over-eager pilgrims.

If you can give us an excuse that'll make us look good for firing on the crowd without distracting our pilots, or disturbing the cargo that's in the air, go for it. If not, would rather rely on good ol' suppressive fire than psychic wildfire to clear out the rabble. Copy?>

LeSwordfish
2018-02-08, 04:30 AM
Maeve etc
Shouldering aside the doors to the bridge, Horus stampeded in, armored hooves shaking the floor of the bridge, cannon raised to blaze death on the first target that presented itself. But none did. The bridge appeared - at least as best he could tell - to be nearly deserted. Monotask servitors were still wired into their stations, but otherwise no humans seemed to be aboard. The only light was that of the cogitator stations, and a faint orange glow from the captain's command pulpit. As he approached further, Horus could see a ring of candles placed around the rail of the pulpit. One had fallen over as he thundered forward: as he watched, a thin hand extended from the chair to stand the candle up again.

"If you're here to kill me, pirate, do not disturb my devotion first. Do me that courtesy."

There was barely a quaver in the confessor's voice. His stentorian tones were a little thinner, but he seemed unconcerned by Horus' thunderous approach.

Khamet
The warp proved harder to grasp here, and Khamet was only able to keep his vision focused long enough to detect that the psychic signature he had detected in this region was still around within range. Beyond that, he couldn't be sure. He did not like not being sure.

Spoons and Jinx
The technician's eyes moved over spoons, towards the long-las. Suddenly, he looked very afraid. His hand was on the airlock lever, but he didn't try to pull it. "...the darkness?"

Jinx's gift worked this time, and she felt the weight of her armor lift as the artificial gravity below her feet turned off. Sadly, the crowd around her didn't lift into the air - but with the gravity suddenly taken away were thrown into panic, tripping and drifting, giving her some leeway to force her way through. This particular grav-plate was off, buying her a few seconds of scrambling towards the shuttles. She could hear the sound of lascannons and the chug of assault weapons from far away: it seemed like the shuttles had started firing on the crowd.

OOC
With the firepower of the ships inside and outside the door, you could definitely blow it open - it would take time to make enough space to fly through, though, and the turbulence (and debris) in the air could make keeping the ships flying quite difficult.

Genth
2018-02-08, 04:40 AM
Maeve steps out from behind Horus, eyes gleaming in her terrifying helm. "A pleasure, Confessor, to meet face to face" she purrs, and places the Sweetest Slice against her hip, magnetic seals locking it into place as she reaches up to pull off her helmet. "I trust your weak blathers to a corpse on a pile of junk goes well?" she asks, voice as smooth as silk, stepping in close after placing down her helmet. Daring, to be sure, but each and every muscle of her body is ready to dodge an attempted attack. "I would slice off your head, give you an appropriate death for a fellow Captain, but alas, I have a question for you. There is something of great power on this ship, something you want protected. Where is it?" she asks, feigning knowledge of her prize.

Deceive TN 53, Automatic bonus DoS from Unnatural Fellowship [roll0]

LeSwordfish
2018-02-08, 05:13 AM
Maeve and the Marines
"Bah," the confessor said. He stood, and stepped down from the pulpit, turning the corner towards them. He was a thin, elderly man, and his walk was a slow shuffle. He was dressed in long ecclesiarchial robes, and closed an ancient book as he walked. He eyed them up and down, eyes flicking between the marines before settling on Maeve. "Not mere pirates, then? The scions of chaos. What would you know of power?"

Genth
2018-02-08, 05:40 AM
Maeve smiles, and nods serenely. "Nothing I do is 'mere', Confessor" she replies before sweeping her hand before Khamet, Lydiadias and Horus. "And as for power? I have a Sorcerer Supreme, a master of Technology, and a Veteran of more wars than you've had sermons, all standing right in front of you. I hold the lives of your precious pilgrims in my domain. If I commanded it, each one would be flayed alive, their blood used to cool the engines of the Forge Tyrant's pets." . The Prince becomes more energetic as she speaks. "I stand before you in the despoiled armor of one of your Corpse Emperor's necrophiliac brides! And you Bah! my power?" she asks, now laughing. "The irony, the foolishness is hilarious! So tell me where my prize is located, priest, and I will at the very least ensure that those pilgrims we save will merely become slaves, and not the subject of amusement for my crew."

LeSwordfish
2018-02-08, 06:24 AM
Maeve, Khamet, Lydiadas, Horus
"The precious things on our ship will have no value to you, would burn you to touch." The confessor seemed to be getting angrier now, raising himself to fury. "There are men and women on this ship who will die before you reach them! Will die for the privilege of removing but one plate of that sacred armor from your foul body! They have faith in the god-emperor, and that will sustain them through the darkest trials you can inflict upon them. Death! Death, privation, torture, before we allow you to lay your tainted hands on the holy items we carry!"

OOC
If Maeve wants to continue with that particular strategy, i'd suggest someone roll an Intimidation check.

Revanus
2018-02-08, 07:44 AM
Spoons audibly sighs.

“No, lad. Not the darkness. I am what fights the darkness. I hunt the enemies of mankind, wherever they may be found.”

Spoons gives the tech another moment to move into action.

“We’re out of time. My rescue transports are in jeapordy, as are the souls they carry. Cycle the airlock or stand aside, lad.”

Spoons then nods for his two tech-savvy pirates to take over the airlock control and secure the tech menial

”I will not burden you with this choice.

Spoons then whispers quickly into his comm bead.
———-
“Reggie, Jenkins. You follow these controls? I want the airlock cycled asap, but no explosive decompression. Once it’s cycling, I want a path out of here—see if you can pull maps.”

“Pilots—sitrep! How are things looking? Jinx may be headed your way, so be ready to provide covering fire, and don’t you dare hit her.”

Xenopax
2018-02-08, 09:31 AM
"The precious things on our ship will have no value to you, would burn you to touch." The confessor seemed to be getting angrier now, raising himself to fury. "There are men and women on this ship who will die before you reach them! Will die for the privilege of removing but one plate of that sacred armor from your foul body! They have faith in the god-emperor, and that will sustain them through the darkest trials you can inflict upon them. Death! Death, privation, torture, before we allow you to lay your tainted hands on the holy items we carry!"

Horus speaks up

"God Emperor? I Fought for him for Centuries and then Against him for more than twice that. A god doesn't bleed from the touch of an Ork Blade or the Sting of an Eldar Rifle. I was there when Half the Primarchs threw off their shackles and fought against him. If nothing else I have atleast learned this, He. Is. No. God!"
Horus's voice has more emotion than most of his fellow boarders are used to hearing from him. His hand that is hold Ripper 60 twitches and It seems like he is about to kill the man before he calms down and his voice takes his normal monotone.
"I Apologize Captain for my Outburst. But truly I suggest you save the lives of these poor pilgrims than kill them in the name of a Fake God, Good Confessor,"

LairdMaon
2018-02-08, 11:15 AM
Jinx aims herself straight at the departure ready crafts and shoves as hard as she can manage...and when she lands she lands on running feet!

Strength Check
[roll0]
Working with Strength 31 + 10 (light power armour) + 10 (gravity trick)

"Negative on fitting into the pilg...
You know what? I'ma let you be you! Fire if you see fit! WAHOO!"

Caellath
2018-02-08, 01:59 PM
++There are no small doses when sowing discord, Adjutant. There are only successes and failures.++ Khamet simply replied before going silent and focusing on the situation at hand...

The sorcerer's expression was one of suspicion as he ended his chat with Spoons and felt around the Warp for any psychic signals. He despised being thrust into situations he had no control of, where he couldn't plan in advance and foresee any difficulties. The current scenario was a good example of why he was correct about his distaste for them.

++The Empyrean is clouded. I glanced at the same psychic signature I felt at the bridge, but I am now unable to pinpoint its location.++ Khamet warned. All he had to work with were theories, and that was bothersome. If the object of interest was a relic then it'd likely have been moved towards the cargo bay area in the hopes of putting it into the shuttles of their "saviors" and sparing it from the ship's destruction. Whatever it could be, the answer likely lied in the psychic signature he was unable to track down.

++Lydiadas, the bridge's ports might give us the information we are being denied by our host.++ he calmly suggested, waiting for Horus' tirade to end before addressing the confessor.

"I was fortunate enough to enjoy the days when the Emperor walked among Mankind. He was powerful beyond belief, a peerless warrior and sage." He said, waiting to see if the old man would take the bait.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-08, 03:27 PM
"The fallen legions." The confessor seemed almost impressed, despite himself. "The arch-heretics. First among traitors. Your presence dishonored him, and your praise is ash."

Khamet's familiar swooped overhead, silent as a ghost. To Khamet's concern, the situation seemed no deeper than to his own eyes: no others hidden on the bridge or the balcony above, no hidden traps or tricks. The confessor indeed appeared to be alone in the room.

Spoons, Jinx
There was a long moment of silence (the chaos from outside wasn't audible through the thick transparisteel). Then the technician pulled the lever. With a hideous grinding noise, the airlock inner doors began to close, one rising up from the floor as another descended from the hangar ceiling. The crowd continued to surge forward, attempting to scramble over the rising door. Spoons watched a few make it - the lucky ones fell back into the crowd, probably to be trampled.

Jinx's leap allowed her a brief glimpse of the same scene from above. She came down on the crowd from above, armored boots trampling a few, shouldering others aside as she charged forward, her two Ulst left behind in the press. One more leap and she had grabbed the edge of the rising door, and a power armor assisted heft pulled her up onto the top of the door, from which she could roll over and drop onto the deck of the airlock. The airlock was almost as chaotic as the main deck - lit by the burning shuttle, it was hellishly hot as the engines of the other cutters kept them at hover. There were bodies and blood on the floor, ruined luggage and relics, and screaming pilgrims, calling to the ships above. One shuttle, a hundred or so meters away, had lowered a rope and jinx watched a pair of pilgrims try to climb it. Another fired indiscriminately into the crowd, a trigger-happy Ulst perhaps trying to keep them from trying to board.

The inner airlock door slammed closed, and up in the command deck, Spoons watched the technician mutter a prayer before pressing the button. The outer door began to crawl open, and Jinx felt a rush of air as the atmosphere began to be sucked out into the void: hard enough first to extingish the fires, then to start moving some of the smaller bits of debris, then tugging at Jinx herself. She was very aware her armor didn't have mag-boots: soon this was going to be a very unhealthy place to be.

Morovir
2018-02-08, 04:01 PM
Lydiadas ignores the pathetic mewling of the Flesh, and instead plugs himself in to the ship's databanks. His lenses glow faintly as he processes the information rushing through his brain, and quickly hones in on what he is looking for.

LairdMaon
2018-02-08, 04:30 PM
Jinx immediately searches around for another tie-down, grate, or similar hardpoint to grab hold of as the native atmo is sucked out. Even a cargo net would do fine!

Genth
2018-02-08, 04:38 PM
Maeve nods curtly to Lydiadias, reaching down to replace her helm. ++You are looking for something of power. I can't tell you what it is precisely, but I suspect you'll know what it is when you find it.++ she voxes to him, quietly, and rounding her attention back onto the confessor. "You stand alone on the bridge, Confessor. Abandoned... or the abandoner. What drove you to swing so close to the Screaming Vortex. What made you risk the lives of those who had put their trust in you?" she asks, walking closer now, voice smooth and careful. "Now is the time to give your own confessions." she adds, speaking softly, almost kindly.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-08, 04:59 PM
Boarding Party
Lydiadas was able to find many interesting things in the ship's databanks. There were no unusual energy signatures aboard, and no strange shipboard components - but he could track where the remaining people in the ship were. What did they consider important? The reliquary was his answer: almost everyone on the ship who hadn't fled to the evacuation was gathered there, a few dozen life-signs in that area. Cross-referencing, Lydiadas was able to search into the recent message history on the ship - with the damage it had taken, not much remained - but he caught a message from the bridge, a few minutes after their arrival, instructing "Rachael" and her forces to defend the reliquary with their life.

"We follow in the footsteps of Saint Elias, who walked this path once long ago," the confessor snarled. "I have nothing left to confess. I have made my peace with my lord: whenever your death comes, I doubt you will be able to say the same."

Revanus
2018-02-08, 05:42 PM
Spoons stares at the unfolding scene of chaos in the docking bay.

”Why are we getting decompression? Can’t you vent the air and equalize pressure before opening the bay doors? I don’t want debris impacting the rescue ships!

This can’t be standard, Lad. Can we slow or reverse the bay door? I don’t want to vent the rescue ships into the bulkheads, and I’ve got a VIP in the bay who needs a few moments to reach our ships.”
——
Microbead
”Pilots—find a way to get Jinx on board if you can. Second wave—be ready for potential debris and for rescue pickup of VIPs—Jinx and I are coming out separately and may need a lift.”

“Jinx—get tied down, ASAP! I’ve warned the pilots you’re free-floating, but try not to get spaced or sucked into an engine. Trying to slow down the venting on my end.”

Morovir
2018-02-08, 05:42 PM
Disengaging himself from the port, Lydiadas opens up a vox-link to the others.

++I have what we need. Do not kill the priest. I have plans for him.++

As curt and abrupt as ever, Lydiadas cut the link.

Caellath
2018-02-08, 05:55 PM
++Neither I nor my familiar can sense any danger, which means the confessor is likely stalling for time. Quaint, but useless.++ Khamet commented via vox-comm while Lydiadas worked on the console.

"You flatter me, confessor. There is no harm in acknowledging great feats, even if they were ruined by those who came afterwards. Your forbidden knowledge of our existence is admirable, but it is far from enough."

He looked back at the Warpsmith upon receiving confirmation they had obtained the information they needed. As expected, the old man's efforts were for nothing. ++He is defenseless and a well-positioned member of the Ecclesiarchy. Taking him alive could be productive.++ He had no interest in making the man a slave just to torture him, but it was hard to deny the powers that be enjoyed sacrifices of higher status.

Xenopax
2018-02-08, 09:55 PM
Boarding Party

"Shall we move on? We've wasted enough time with this fool. A minute spent here is a minute more that the defenders of the relic can use. "
Horus turns off his chain fist and puts Ripper 60 in its holster. He goes toward the Confessor and gives him a gentle touch on the head....for a space marine. For a normal person of the Confessors age it should be enough to knock him out.

Genth
2018-02-09, 03:20 AM
Maeve laughs at this, shaking her head as she watches the noble confessor fall to the ground unconscious. "Competing claims on the corpse-lover, I like it. Well, you'll all have a chance to convince me, for now - Med, four of you take this priest and secure him in the landing pod. The rest, with us. We're storming the reliquary!" she says, lifting up Sweetest Slice and activating the power field, the crackling, scented weapon lighting up the dark room. With a sweep of her cloak, she turns and heads out, towards the bowels of the ship.

Xenopax
2018-02-09, 03:34 AM
Horus gently hands over the Unconcious Confessor to the Med. "Take Good Care of him or I'll give your skulls to Khorne,"
He then Walks alongside Maeve so that if there were any traps he could step into the line of fire.

"Shoot to kill? or Do I have to Take them Alive?"

Horus wishes to Keep the Confessor as a Bargaining chip. At the Next Friendly Port he could trade him to some Slaaneshi (Or If he was lucky a Word Bearer) in exchange for information or for someone to work on his chain fist. It could use a little tuning.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 03:44 AM
Spoons and Jinx
"You wanted it quickly!" the tech insisted, his voice something of a squeak now. "I - I told you that manually depressurising the airlock would take almost half an hour! This is the only way we can get the next wave of ships in quickly!"

Jinx, however, found herself scrabbling on the floor for something to hold onto, as the rushing air began to draw her inexorably towards the void. From her perspective it almost seemed like a fall: a long, long fall, with Tir Na Og there to break it, and break her. Her power armored fingers were too large for the grating she slid past, but she managed to catch onto the release lever for a cargo train: her momentum sharply pulled it, bombarding her with half-a-dozen crates that then went spiralling off into space: but the lever held, and she was able to remain in place until the rushing air had stopped and she fell to the deck. Her power armor was void-sealed, but she could still feel the aching, ancient cold of the void, and hear nothing but her own breath and the hiss of the oxygen tank. The gravity plates were still on here, so she could stand and walk comfortably. Of the pilgrims, there was little sign. Most had been hauled into the void - slowly freezing bodies gently turning as momentum carried them away. Some were still feebly moving.

One of the Ulst gun-cutters began lowering to the deck, coming in to land. It was odd to see it landing without the characteristic hiss of hydraulics - though Jinx felt the thump of it touching down through her soles. Her microbead crackled: it was Eris. "Need a lift, Milady?"

Boarding Party
The confessor crumpled to the deck, and Maeve's Med trotted forward to collect him. Lit by the flickering glow of the power blade, the party turned to leave - and a voice spoke from above. A cadaverously thin figure had stepped onto the balcony above them, opening the door and walking to the rail. He was dressed in long, dark robes, and one hand was held to his forehead, as if in pain. His voice was thin and reedy, but spoke with confidence.

"The true scions of the emperor are never alone."

He moved his hand, and as one the party looked into the deep, dark eye on his forehead.

Hello, here's the navigator! He aced his Stealth check (that's what that 2 I rolled was), so gets a Surprise round - which he uses to manifest The Lidless Stare. That means he makes an Opposed Willpower test against each of you,
and anyone who loses takes 2d10+6 (his willpower bonus) without TB or Armor.

The navigator's willpower: [roll0] HA HA HA NOPE

Okay, he fails with four degrees of failure. I'll roll your willpowers in the OOC, along with initiatives.

Genth
2018-02-09, 04:24 AM
Maeve is moving even before the Navigator has finished "The". She leaps from metal plate to metal plate, leaping onto the gantry by the time the navigator has finished saying 'emperor'. By the last syllable, she is already on top of him, his feeble mental attack washing over her with no effect. Her blades lash out in a vicious display of crackling, bladed glory, flesh parting and burnt blood flying. Sweetest Slice slashes out again and again, ridiculously fast. Choicest Cut makes a feral punch into the creature's gut with her last twist, eyes widening as she focuses on her victim's face.

The effects are monstrous. The first two swift slices turn the man's arm into ribbons, first with a meaty slice at the shoulder, then a finishing blow that nearly severs the arm entirely, the small explosion of blood boiling against Sweetest Slice sending meat flipping across the room. Then a delicate, surgeonlike slash across the chest, parting his ribcage, before a final driving blow into the man's heart. He is already dead by the time Choicest Gut is burried deep in his gut, the light facing from his eyes with the visage of Maeve's helm burnt into them. A low hissing sound emerges before he flops to the ground.

Maeve turns to regard her crewmembers, a faint laugh coming across the vox...

Revanus
2018-02-09, 07:22 AM
Spoons nods to the tech and gives him a pat on the shoulder.

”Understood. You’ve saved many lives today. Where is the nearest airlock to enter the docking bay? Are there void suits accessible? If so, how many? Separately, do the pilgrims have access to large reserves of void suits, or escape pods? Or is a pressured docking bay the only functioning exit at this point, Lad?“

Spoons then steps back and quickly whispers into his microbead.
—-
”Excellent work, Pilots. Confirm once Jinx is aboard. First wave, return to base and unload cargo. Second wave, standby. I still need a pickup. Situation remains fluid. Query: how much cargo capacity is in the second wave and how many troopers?”

“Jinx—get your weightless ass on that pickup and oversee the cargo unload back aboard ship until I get there, copy?”

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 07:49 AM
Spoons & Jinx
"Follow the gantry round to the right," the technician said automatically. "There should be a void suit in the locker there. We don't have enough void suits for a tenth of the passengers, and any escape pods have already launched. It's okay though, if you can keep bringing in shuttles and controlling the crowd, we can get everyone out over time."

"We're getting her now," Eris said via the vox, "she looks like she's doing alright. Second wave is pretty much empty - a hundred or so of us, but enough capacity to load another thousand or so passengers. I don't know if we can keep the crowd controlled for long enough for that, though."

Revanus
2018-02-09, 08:10 AM
Spoons nods to the tech. "How many void suits is that? 10% is how many souls?"
------
Microbead: "Understood. How many more shuttles do we have that are flight ready? Are we tapped out on troopers and chariots? Or can we pull more for a third wave?"

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 08:25 AM
Spoons & Jinx
"A thousand, maybe? But they're all over the ship, nobody knows how to use them, you'll never pick up lifesigns like that in an asteroid field."

"We don't have much else ready to go, and I think I'd feel safer without all our ships in the air anyway. If I have your permission to call the Murmahan in to manage the drop-off, we can keep the two waves we have running for as long as we need." Eris reported. "Turnaround time maybe fifteen minutes?" There was a slight smile in her voice - Spoons suspected she'd love being able to deliver an order to the other clans. "I don't know how long you want to risk staying around to get pasted by an asteroid, though."

LairdMaon
2018-02-09, 08:46 AM
After prancing like a schoolgirl coming home, Jinx bops into the airlock of the gun-cutter. She takes off her helmet as she makes her way into the cockpit. Without a word, she plants a kiss on the pilot, "I knew I could count on you!"

She relaxes against a bulkhead and replaces her helmet before opening her mic to Spoons, "Hey! I'm aboard and safely in Eris' soft hands! Now, can I get a sit-rep? What's going on all around?"

Revanus
2018-02-09, 09:27 AM
"Got it, lad."
Spoons nods at his two cohorts to pull the techie out of his chair.

"The void suit is for you. I'm saving your life. We've done all we can."

Once his men have the tech firmly secured, Spoons lets his men lead the tech along the gantry. Spoons trails behind, trusty long las in hand.
---
Microbead:
"We're done here, Jinx. Heading to rendevouz now. Pulling back to count our booty. This airlock business is rough, and I'm not going to risk losing a wave of shuttles over a thousand pilgrims.

"We're done here, Eris. Excellent work. Heading to rendevouz now."

Command channel:
<Docking bay operations complete. One full wave of cargo secure. Pulling back to avoid any losses due to environmental conditions. Let me know if you need reinforcements or assistance--have 100 troopers available to deploy.>

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 09:40 AM
Spoons, Jinx
"What? What, no, you're not leaving-"

As Spoons' bodyguard grabbed him, the technician began to struggle violently. "You can't leave them! There's more ships out there! You can't just leave them!" He was thin and weedy, though, and the two large Ulst were easily able to hold him down. He kept trying to break away, however.

Eris nodded "Understood. I'll send them back and stay on-station myself to pick them up. Jinx is on-board."

OOC
The bodyguard try to grapple the tech: [roll0] Weapon Skill, with a +10 for the assistance of the other. The technician probably doesn't have Dodge.

LairdMaon
2018-02-09, 10:04 AM
"You got a ride, Spoons? Cuz I'm sure Eris wouldn't mind hanging back to pick your sexy tush up!"

Revanus
2018-02-09, 10:39 AM
As soon as the techie starts to protest, Spoons is a blur of movement. With the smooth grace of someone who’s performed an action thousands of times, Spoons steps forward and thrusts the reinforced butt of the long-las forward. In a flash, the long-las is headed on a one-way collision course with the grappled tech.

”As I said, we’re done here.”

Half action aim
Standard attack: [roll0] vs 93 (33 ws+20 grapple +20 3v1 +10 standard +10 aim)
Damage: [roll1] pen 2 crippling 1 (str 3 +10 armor +2 infamy bonus on legacy weapon)

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 10:45 AM
Spoons, Jinx
There was a nasty crunch as a rib snapped. The technician howled in pain and dangled limp in the two Urst's arms, all desire to fight taken out of him.

Revanus
2018-02-09, 10:58 AM
Spoons doesn't pause. He quickly rams the long las forward a second time, with textbook form and skill.

"Thank you for your service, lad. You've done your duty."

[roll0] vs 93

Damage: [roll1] pen 2 crippling 1

LeSwordfish
2018-02-09, 11:04 AM
Spoons, Jinx
There was another vicious crack. The technician slumped again, and a dribble of blood began trickling from his mouth. A punctured lung, perhaps. With quiet contempt, the two Ulst bodyguards dropped him on the floor.

Revanus
2018-02-09, 11:45 AM
Taking a step back, Spoons smoothly shoulders his long las. At point blank range, Spoons lines up a kill shot.

With practiced aim, Spoons squeezes the trigger.

I’ve done you a mercy, lad. Trust me.

—-
With the tech put out of his misery, Spoons heads around the gantry and signals for his men to follow.

Half action aim, point blank standard shot on corpse:
Attack:[roll0] vs 99 (39+ 30 pbs+ 20 accurate half action aim+ 10 standard attack)

Damage: [roll1] pen 3
Accurate damage: [roll2]
[roll3]

For cinematic purposes, Spoons just wants to put a clean hole in the tech’s head. Not a giant cabin fire for firing at a corpse)

Caellath
2018-02-09, 02:16 PM
The mention of environmental conditions immediately piqued Khamet's attention. Hopefully they weren't dealing with an euphemistic description for a shipboard fire. ++What sort of environmental complications have developed? And I need a confirmation as soon as the shuttles have left.++

Khamet managed to lift a hand to telekinetically dispose of the navigator, but since Maeve had closed in the distance... He decided against it. The sorcerer looked around for any sign of squirming or crying allies but there were none, which was a puzzling development when it came to a direct attack by a navigator's third eye.

Maybe he hadn't managed to pinpoint the navigator's presence precisely due to how weak the recently deceased man had been. Maybe the Empyrean figured it'd be a funny surprise. In any case...

++We have what we need.++ he pointed out, waiting to move on as soon as Lydiadas started leading them to the Reliquary's location.

Genth
2018-02-09, 06:48 PM
Beneath her helmet, Maeve frowns. Leaving behind so many worthwhile meatbags... ++Agreed. Adjutant, if this environmental situation is going to be coming our way... and is fire.... you need to tell us directly.++ she voxes, even as she strides down the corridor alongside Horus, cloak fluttering in the dead air.

Revanus
2018-02-09, 07:19 PM
Command channel:

<Environmental conditions refer to surging crowd and potential asteroid impact risk. Crowd is contained behind blast doors, while asteroid hazards are a known but unpredictable risk. If needed, we can attempt to blow airlock blast doors using onboard weaponry If a distraction is needed or pilgrims need thinning, but it may have unintended effects on ship integrity. Khamet—shuttles have mainly departed. Will confirm once final shuttles have gone wheels up.>

Genth
2018-02-09, 09:59 PM
When Maeve next speaks, there is the hint of annoyance in her tones. ++If you believe there is a danger then return to the Tir na nOg.++ she reploes, somewhat curtly

Caellath
2018-02-09, 11:42 PM
++I see.++ Khamet went silent, idly wondering whether Spoons realized he was using the vessel's possible destruction by asteroids as part of his explanation while the captain's team was still inside said ship getting their hands dirty.

That was at least bound to displease Mae— Oh, there it went.

Before leaving the bridge Khamet telekinetically floated the navigator's remains to rummage through them without dirtying his gauntlets. There might still be something of use on the body. ++Lydiadas, could you connect to the port once more and gather more information?++

++I do not advise a rushed frontal assault, for obvious reasons.++ he began as they went on their way to the Reliquary. ++I can trigger my psychic distraction as it seems the cargo team is... Unable to gather more pilgrims. We may also create our own entrance into the room with some assistance from the information Lydiadas plundered and Horus' chainfist as a distraction.++

++Gathering further information might also make this next encounter smoother. Was there any information about the Reliquary's defenders in the databanks, and does anyone have an auspex on their person?++ While talking the sorcerer wondered if they would be facing armsmen or perhaps Sisters of Battle. The latter were a threat that couldn't be taken lightly.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-10, 08:14 AM
Boarding Party
The reliquary was apparently at the back of the ships chapel, which, as befitted an ecclesiarchial vessel, was one of the largest rooms on board, high on the spine of the ship, bedecked, apparently, in real quarried stone. It was easy enough to find their way to, and they found the main doors locked and bolted against them. The glow of light - real light - drifted out from underneath, and they could hear a church organ sound, and many female voices raised in song. Scouting groups of Med went forward, and confirmed that there were two more doors into the chapel from this side, both barred as well. This part of the ship was the "high society", and though as cramped and Spartan as the rest of shipboard life, it was relatively open and clean, and would presumably have been quite pleasant before the power was deactivated.

Another asteroid had struck the ship while they had been en route, and Lydiadas reckoned that it had taken out the secondary shield generator on the lower levels. The noise of straining metal was getting clearer now - with the damage the ship had taken, sooner or later something was going to cook off and tear the ship apart entirely. Whatever they wanted to do, they didn't have much time with which to do it.

OOC
If you want to do any more information gathering on the bridge, feel free to do so and I can edit the results in.

The doors are barred, but they're not designed to take punishment at all: you've got all your heavy weapons, so we can assume that you can easily break them down before the roll for initiative.

Spoons, Jinx
The technician's body jerked limply as the lasbolt punched its hole in his forehead. His head lolled slightly to the side, and blood began to ooze from his mouth and nose.

Leaving the man alone, Spoons followed his instructions to the airlock, taking a spindly metal gantry around to the right. He crossed over one group of the crowd as he went, and was disconcerted to see that the crowd was as thick as ever. It seemed that they were getting the message though: the flow was reversing, the mass of humanity scattering back into the bowels of the ship in the hopes of... Of what? A void suit? An escape pod, and death by starvation some weeks later? Or merely a quiet place to wait for the end. It looked very much as if Khamet's fears of organised resistance were unfounded.

Passing through the service airlock, their breath hissing in their ears, they found Eris' ship the last one left, all the others having headed back to Tir Na Og. Once they had boarded, they found the cutter intolerably crowded, with several large Ulst watching over several dozen worried-looking pilgrims. Shouldering his way through to the front, he climbed the steep staircase to the main cabin, feeling the lurch in his stomach that indicated takeoff. Jinx was there, with Eris and the pilot. Eris greeted him, taciturn as ever.

"First wave is starting to unload now," she said. "Anything else, or are we pulling back and waiting for the captain?"

LairdMaon
2018-02-10, 10:34 AM
"YOU'RE BACK!" Jinx cries out after popping off her helmet once more. She leaps on Spoons, giving him a big hug! When she lets go she hits him with a flurry of questions.

"Who is where? What's going on? Does this power armour make my butt look big? What are we doing with this cargo? Your gun's warm, did y shot someone? What's Mom got us doing? Why aren't you answering me?"

Xenopax
2018-02-10, 11:28 AM
On the signal Horus begins drilling into the wall in the right side.

Caellath
2018-02-10, 12:25 PM
When Lydiadas disseminated the information about the defenders he'd obtained, Khamet's suspicions were confirmed. Sisters of Battle. That wasn't going to be as easy as mowing down hapless armsmen. While he didn't know enough about the Ecclesiarchy to figure out why there was a Sister listed apart from the rest, he assumed she was special in some way, and likely more dangerous as a result.

++I suspected their presence in this ship. We will need a plan and of course it will involve a need for some distractions.++ he commented as he eyed Horus.

Genth
2018-02-10, 03:25 PM
As the group walked, they planned, quietly and swiftly. By the time they reached the reliquary, it was formulated, and so Maeve led Khamet and the Med towards the starboard entrance, Horus sent to port, and Lydiadias to stern. ++Whenever you are ready, Horus. We shall breach as soon as we hear fire.++

Revanus
2018-02-10, 05:53 PM
Spoons gets hugged by Jinx, long las getting awkwardly smooshed between the two of them.

He quickly gives Jinx a pat on the head.
"Helmet on if you want details. Your mom would kill me if you died of void exposure, and I'd probably envy your death."

Spoons quickly checks his chrono and then turns to his two tech savvy Ulst.

"How good of a look did you get at that mechanism? Could you operate it without the menial's assistance? Give me an honest assessment--I expect the answer is no, unless that system was something you're familiar with.

If we could get the blast door to drop to waist height, we might be able to get through more orderly evac before we all get pasted by an asteroid--to borrow a turn of phrase."

He then turns to Eris.
"Get us a fresh transport from the second wave, ASAP.i want to swap to an empty vessel if we can. You , me, Jinx, and our second wave are going to hang around in case the Captain needs a pick up. I want a few second wave gun cutters to move into position near wherever the Captain made entrance. If there's a dropship still attached to the hull, I want them to keep any stray asteroids safely away from that position, with ballistic encouragement. Copy?"

Command channel:<First wave pulling back and unloading cargo. About 1k units recovered. Second wave is staying in area to provide combat air patrol and potential reinfocement or rescue, as needed. Jinx and I will remain with second wave unless you want us aboard flagship. Is your exit going to be at same location as entrance?>

Xenopax
2018-02-10, 08:18 PM
Horus begins slamming his fist into the wall. He tries to make as much noise as possible so that the Poor fools on the other side focus more on him than his comrades

Caellath
2018-02-11, 03:11 AM
++Move the second wave back for the moment as well if you prefer. I will be enacting my plan.++ the sorcerer warned.

"Much like I told the Adjutant, ignore the message your mind will receive now." There was still time to walk to the Reliquary. Without distractions or enemies, Khamet found himself able to make all the necessary preparations to trick the servants of the God-Emperor into fratricide. Power demanded sacrifice, and the sorcerer knew what to do. The lambent emerald flames that he freely called upon varied in size, dancing across his armor and disappearing at times only to leave physical and mental pain in their awake. But still Khamet focused on the boon granted to him by the God of Magic until he finally mastered the pain for a moment, for time enough to look into the infinite branching paths that made up the future and peek into the ramifications of his choices. His mind eagerly sought out and touched those strands of fate that were of his interest, analyzing how his choice of words, intonation and attitude affected the verisimilitude of his deceit.

All happened in a flash of newfound knowledge. Not even three seconds had gone past when Khamet tapped into his powers once more and a booming voice—one that could not be recognized as the sorcerer's—struck the minds of all inside the ship and inside a three-kilometer radius.

Are you not my faithful servants? Have you not sworn your life and souls to my Throne? Yet I see your failures clear as light! You travel with witches and sorcerers in your very presence, and raise not your hand. Through inaction you nurture weakness in Mankind and have your very souls wither before my eyes.

Even within my own Daughters' ranks I see festering heresy and corruption. The time for your judgment before me is nigh and yet you fail to see the truth. There can be no absolution without sacrifice, no expiation without blood. Have you forsaken my teachings?

There shall only be salvation through action! Cleanse yourselves from Sin or know there shall be harsh Judgment!

Having lived through millennia, Khamet had known the Emperor and was familiar with the older version of Low Gothic used in the Great Crusade era. He added just enough hints of older, more formal speak in his "Emperor" persona as he made an impassioned and righteous speech, crafted with psychic assistance to steer reactions towards what he desired. It was a heartfelt accusation and at the same time a request. A call to arms, so that the Sisters would purge their own ranks of "heretics", so that the pilgrims would hunt down the astropaths and possibly even those among them perceived to be corrupt in the eyes of the Emperor.

It was moving, it was powerful, it was delivered by a servant of Tzeentch used to trickery and subterfuge. Khamet's patron god would likely be pleased.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-11, 04:52 AM
Boarding Party
Khamet could feel the seeds of his words taking root in the pilgrim's minds, could almost see the confusion and fear spreading. He heard shouts from inside the chapel, voices raised in confusion instead of plainsong. Another voice - strong and strident - cut in over them, but when he heard the thunder of Horus' bootprints, it wasn't immediately responded to by gunfire.

Horus's chainfist devastated the stonework of the chapel, crunching through the thin metal wall and then pulverising the stone beneath. As always, the challenge was not to make a mere hole - it was widening that to make a space large enough for himself. Stone chips flying, he punched and tore at the wall, until, marble slabs shattered and broken, he was able to hurl himself bodily against the damaged space and shoulder-barge his way through, roaring in triumph.

Compared to the darkness of the rest of the ship, the chapel was so well-lit it almost hurt his eyes. A rough barricade of pews had been made - but it was useless now, as he came bursting in from besides it. What opposed him would have been an orderly, disciplined line if not for Khamet's trickery - instead, the sororitas, the corpse-brides, were standing, arguing, nervous. His arrival was met by hasty scrambling, not a barrage of gunfire, and he was able to see, up in the pew, what looked like a leader of some sort barking orders. Lydiadas smoothly stepped from the wall besides him, and the chamber began to ring with the sounds of battle.

Spoons and Jinx
Eris nodded and moved off, barking orders. The two Urst looked at each other.

"Could probably do the basic stuff," one said rather sheepishly. "Like open and close it. But half-open probably needs hacking it a bit."

"Aifric could," the other suggested. "She used to work on a ship like that."

"Oh yeah, Aifric. She's, uh, a clansman in the Laghain."

Xenopax
2018-02-11, 05:24 AM
"As my world eaters brethren say, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
Horus opens fire with that statement. He aims for the biggest cluster of Sisters he can find.
"Show them that their false God has no power over us"

Morovir
2018-02-11, 09:31 AM
Having entered through the wall, Lydiadas bellows "Iron Within! Iron Without!" at the Sisters of Battle, throws himself behind a pillar and fires a shot at the Palatine in the pulpit.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-11, 10:00 AM
Boarding Party
Horus swung his autocannon wildly, chopping heavy rounds through the front line of the battle sisters. Several were blown off their feet or killed instantly, bright red sprays of blood coating grey marble and white armor. So engaged was he in mowing the squad down, he failed to notice another sister emerging from behind a pillar, lowering a heavy melta weapon. With a shriek of ionised air, the melta fired: a white-hot beam stabbed into Horus' ribs, slicing through the terminator armor like a cutting torch. He howled with pain as the beam hit him - but although it seared down his side, it wouldn't be nearly enough to stop him.

Across the chapel, Lydiadas took brief aim with his bolter and fired a single shot at the palatine in her pulpit, blowing a torso-sized chunk of the rail into fragments but failing to draw blood from his target. Her bodyguards opened up with rattling bolt fire - but it all went wild, the shock of his apparition seemingly shaking them too much to allow for accurate fire. Even as the rest of the force began gearing up to attack back, the door on the other side of the room broke down and, bellowing prayers to Slaanesh, the Med rushed in, the distinctive silhouettes of Maeve and Khamet visible within.

Morovir
2018-02-11, 10:09 AM
Following the ancient tenet of 'If at first you don't succeed, try again', Lydiadas lines up his bolter with the Palatine and fires another shot.

Xenopax
2018-02-11, 10:40 AM
"DIE B@%^H!"
Horus turns to face the Sister and opens fire.

Caellath
2018-02-11, 11:19 AM
++The meltagun's wielder is a major threat and we need to thin their firing line. A decapitation strike will not be of much use here.++ With or without their Palatine, the Sisters would stick to their usual tactics and fight to their death. The biggest threats at the moment were the tank-killing weapon and the less experienced Sisters' disciplined fire line that could kill any of them via sheer volume of bolter rounds.

Khamet was too far to make good use of his psychic talents, that much he was aware of. The sorcerer elected to break into a sprint, running with the speed the astartes were known for despite their bulk and heavy armor and disappearing behind cover as he got closer. He was out of sight of the enemies but ready to peek out and use his powers.

Revanus
2018-02-11, 12:11 PM
Command channel:

<Acknowledged. Let us know if you need backup. We're working on a way to thin or pacify the refugee flood--may be able to bring in more cargo.>

Spoons quickly sends out a warning to his pilots in the second wave.

"Pilots-friendly psychic disturbance incoming. Ignore content and keep shuttles stable. Once message passes, I need a single bird from the second wave to swing into the docking bay and give me a lift."

To the extent the psychic disturbance was short range, Spoons figured there was a fair chance that the second wave wasn't even in range.

Spoons then quickly has his pilot vox the flagship.

<This is command beta to flagship actual. Requesting one Aifeic, Clansman Laghain, knowledgeable in hacking of cargo bay doors and airlocks, on priority one scramble to my position. Need her here ASAP, acknowledged?>

Spoons then taps the pilot on the back of the helm.

"Get this bird back to the flagship. Eris, keep me updated on first wave's progress. Jinx, you can stay with me or start to oversee slave selections, your choice.

Nodding to his two techie Ulst to follow, the three of them quickly hop back out of the shuttle to await their incoming second-wave taxi.
---
When Khamet's message comes through, the sensation is deeply unpleasant. Still, Spoons can't help but admire the craftiness of it--though it might not leave many refugees worth standing. Maybe Khamet could offer a similar order to calmly board the transports....

---
Command channel (after Khamet's message):
<That should thin the crowds, if not pacify them. Nice work. If you can do that again in a few minutes, maybe we can even get the cargo to line up in neat rows and politely march aboard transports.>

Spoons lets a hint of his amusement show through his tone, before returning to the gravity of the situation.

<Status: Still have wave 2 standing by to reinforce or evacuate as needed.>

Caellath
2018-02-11, 02:36 PM
++My intention is to soothe the pilgrims with a second broadcast, convincing them they are being rewarded for their sacrifices with salvation. They should be much more pliable then.++ Khamet replied, the sound of heavy-caliber gunfire and exploding masonry in the background muffled but still distinguishable.

++I am however rather occupied at the moment.++

Genth
2018-02-11, 03:34 PM
Moving amid the press of Med, their chittering and almost bestial howls echoing like music in her ears, Maeve leads her pirates forwards, her laughing echoing through an open channel on the vox. ++Go for the throats, my vultures! Let Holy blood stain the floor of this palace of lies!++. They slam against the barricades, ducking just as the first few bolts race overhead, ready to charge again after a moment's pause.

LairdMaon
2018-02-11, 04:06 PM
"Did you just ask me out, Spoons?
You tease! Of course you know I'll go with you!" Jinx secures her helmet after blowing him one last kiss.

She absently draws Maurice Meltagun from his place across her back as she follows Spoons to their next task.

Revanus
2018-02-11, 04:09 PM
Command channel:
<Understood. Standing by for further updates.>

LeSwordfish
2018-02-12, 06:00 AM
Boarding Party
Lydiadas's more carefully-aimed shot smashed another chunk of the pulpit, but again failed to harm the palatine, who had begun singing, a strident, high song that was somehow painful for the heretics to hear. Her bodyguards joined the song with her, even as Horus' autocannon smashed one of them to bloody ribbons. The elite sororitas were now glowing with golden light, and what of their faces was visible beneath their visors was joyous. Horus had seen this look on the faces of khorne worshippers before: people who seemed to welcome the chance to die in battle. He was knocked sideways by a hail of bolt rounds, though, as the squad he had failed to kill regrouped. They had formed into a neat battle line and blazed away, and Horus felt the sting of more pain as bolt rounds found the joints in his armor and shrapnel reached through to his flesh. Two women stepped forward with flamers, and Horus' visor became filled with burning promethium. He was a terminator of the black legion, though: it would take more than being set on fire to slow him down.

On the other side of the room, Maeve was forced to slide across the marble floor as someone opened up with a Heavy Bolter, playing the massive cannon across the med as they burst from the doorway. She was considerably more circumspect than either the reavers, who used the cover of the barricade as an opportunity to run, screaming, towards the Sororitas line. Khamet was similarly unaffected, jogging into position with what seemed an uncharacteristic lack of dignity. Taking cover may have been the smart move, though: one of the glowing warriors fired twice from the hip, and two of the med were brought down by bolt rounds detonating within their ribcages.

Spoons and Jinx
Their transfer affected, Spoons and Jinx found themselves on a gun-cutter decked in the hazard stripes of the Laghain. Aifric was there, a small, wiry woman who had no place on the frontline, but had served on several imperial ships before joining them, and was one of Lydiadas' most devoted followers. She was peering out of the front window as they boarded.

"The ship took another little asteroid as we arrived," she said, in the Laghain's thick accent. "Might be that the end is comin' sooner rather'n later. Sorry." She saluted absently. "Beggin' your pardon, sir, ma'am."

Morovir
2018-02-12, 07:23 AM
Abandoning restraint, Lydiadas lets loose a grunt of frustration and fires a semi-automatic burst of his bolter at the Palatine.

Xenopax
2018-02-12, 09:31 AM
Horus Bellows to His allies.
"Cousins! I require aid! My Armor Cannot hold out much Longer!"
He then Runs to the Wall.

Revanus
2018-02-12, 03:46 PM
Spoons nods at Aifric.

”Understood. We’re not staying long.

How long would it take for you to rig that blast for over there to open up partially. Say, so that it only opens to waist length? I’m looking for a way to keep a flood of pilgrims from overwhelming our transports. I also don’t want to trap our ships in an enclosed bay, so we’ll want the outer bay doors to move as fast as possible. Is this something you can handle?”

Spoon gestures to the relevant blast doors as he talks, to keep his instructions clear and to the point.

Genth
2018-02-12, 04:42 PM
Maeve can't help but giggle beneath her helmet, the vox, mercifully, not picking it up. "And I thought terminators were supposedly indestructible..." she murmurs to herself, continuing to move along the barrier - with any luck, the sisters will be focused enough on the Med to allow her to hit their flank.

Morovir
2018-02-12, 04:54 PM
"It is not the armour that is at fault, cousin. Even the mightiest of armour is beholden to the fool who wears it" Lydiadas snarls over the vox.
It is difficult to tell whether this rare display of emotion is the result of the injuries his fellow Astartes was sustaining, or at the damage that the priceless Terminator suit was suffering.

Genth
2018-02-12, 04:57 PM
++Now now, don't mock our poor Warmaster. After all, his job was to act as a bullet sponge, and he's accomplished his goal with at least some small measure of aplomb++ Maeve replies over the vox

Morovir
2018-02-12, 05:01 PM
++Ironic, is it not, that a battle-brother who saw the dawn of the Imperium should be slain in such an ignominious manner? If I had not excised my tear glands thirty-seven centuries ago, I would weep at such a pitiful sight.++

Xenopax
2018-02-12, 05:44 PM
Horus snarls through the Vox to Lydia
+++"I have done my job of drawing fire, but I see you have failed yours. It shall take more than a few sisters to bring me down. I have fought for my Primarch before you were but a twinkling in your mothers eye. Have you even killed anyone cousin? My gun has taken down 6 Sisters yet I see that you have only succeeded at scratching one. Make yourself useful and actually kill someone. You shame Perturabo with your weakness,"+++

Caellath
2018-02-13, 02:48 AM
++Focus on the matter at hand. We need the horde thinned but Horus can now seek cover.++ Of course he'd rather the other legionnaire had started the firefight protected by cover, but that hadn't been too much of a problem. In the end, the sisters would die sooner or later.

Khamet moved along the cover, putting some distance between his bulk and the Med, who were the most likely target of the sisters' attentions. His interest was instantly piqued by the Palatine's usage of a miracle. One of the objects of his studies, the Warp-based power that he theorized to come straight from the Emperor. It was a shame the Sister would likely perish during the battle. He'd be elated if he could examine those faith powers inside of a controlled environment...

And almost as if punishing him for his recent successes, Tzeentch denied him usage of his powers. Just as he picked one of the Sisters as his target and concentrated on pasting her against the nearby pulpit, the energies simply refused to coalesce correctly and the sorcerer was left frustrated in his powerlessness.

Morovir
2018-02-13, 08:17 AM
++Would that I had an autocannon, cousin, I am certain that I could kill many more than six sisters. Try targeting their leader, and see how well you do then. I would say that you shamed Horus, but, well, he's dead, isn't he? A disappointment to us all.++ Lydiadas broke the vox link.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-13, 10:07 AM
Boarding Party
The leader of the sisters continued barking orders, even as Horus hobbled behind the barricade. Lydiadas's shot finally hit home this time, and her instructions were lost in a howl of pain. The battle sisters had already performed a neat reconfiguration though, turning to bring their firepower on the med: Maeve stayed low in cover as a ferocious short-range firefight broke out, the rattle of bolters and the bark of shotguns and autopistols echoing off the walls and ceiling of the chapel. Several Med were cut down as they tried to leap the barricade, two staggering away engulfed by flames - but the ferocious chopping of the heavy bolter was cut short with a dry clicking noise as the slide jammed, the wielder falling back, her song interrupted by imprecations to the emperor.

Khamet's power slipped through his fingers even as he tried to wield it, and he was forced back as the Palatine and her bodyguard raised their heads above the barricade and poured close-range bolt fire into him. He could have waded through it unharmed though, and felt only the slightest sting of pain as a lucky ricochet lodged itself in his knee-joint. He saw the palatine herself aim her pistol at him - and then watched her expression as the decorated bolter jammed. Perhaps Tzeentch hadn't stopped smiling upon him yet.

Spoons, Jinx

"Aye, they'd still get over fine at waist height but yeh could set it to head height and lift'em up," Aifric opined. "Would take nowt but a minute. Would need to chuck a shunt in the primary line so I can manually cut it, but that's nothin. Difficult bit would be gettin'em going again. If you wanted to go quickly... well, anyone not gone wouldn't get to stay around, if ye know what i'm sayin."

LairdMaon
2018-02-13, 10:27 AM
Jinx pokes the tech-savvy man in the shoulder,
"Do ya need an extra set of hands?
Mebby a melta?"

Morovir
2018-02-13, 02:54 PM
Repositioning himself behind the pillar, Lydiadas let loose another semi-automatic burst at the Palatine.

Genth
2018-02-13, 03:41 PM
With a sudden laugh, Maeve hears the Heavy Bolter jam. With sudden, bursting speed she erupts over the barricade, Power sword in the air. "TEAR THEM TO SHREDS, MY HUNTERS IN THE NIGHT, CHARRRRGE!" comes her rallying cry, and she charges forwards into the depths of the sister horde, Sweetest Slice lashing out like a whirlwind of crackling death, cutting down many sisters in a single, blistering attack. Holy blood flies about the Pirate Prince in a flurry of unholy perfection, Maeve's laughs distorted by the Vox.

Caellath
2018-02-13, 04:10 PM
Khamet ducked and crouch-ran forward when he noticed sisters taking aim at him. There it was once again, the familiar rush of battle. The roaring thunder of boltguns, the miniature explosions as splintered wood from the pews flew around and onto him, the metallic noise as pieces of bolt shell glanced off his armor, leaving shallow scratches on the painted ceramite. It wasn't like he'd actually missed that, though.

No, for the sorcerer combat was only a means to an end. Getting his hands dirty in such a way was actually a little unbecoming, and when your patron god was Tzeentch you had your fair share of worries about getting shot at and eating a surprise ricochet into your power armor's joints. Luckily that didn't happen this time. And despite being "graced" with a sudden failure of his powers, Khamet didn't fail to notice that both the palatine's pistol and the fire team's heavy bolter suffered from stoppages almost at the same time.

Slowing down after moving a few meters, Khamet picked out one of the sororitas dousing the Med in burning promethium and casually flicked one of the fingers from the hand holding his staff. An instant later, she was being violently thrown backwards by an invisible force, smashing against her battle-sisters and then against the pulpit behind her.

Revanus
2018-02-13, 05:38 PM
Spoons nods.
"Ok, Aifric and Jinx will join me--we're heading back to airlock control. The rest of you, stand by in case support is needed."

Spoons then leans in towards the cockpit and grabs the vox.
"Pilots--commence wave 2. I want to see landings in the cargo bay--troopers, fan out and provide a cordon. Keep the pilgrims in line--but defend the transports if necessary."

Pulling his camo cloak tighter over his head and folded wings, Spoons jumps off the transport head backs to the airlock ready to retrace his steps.

Xenopax
2018-02-13, 06:18 PM
Horus peeks his gun over and sprays the Sisters with lead.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-14, 04:46 AM
Boarding Party
Maeve's charge was devastating, and even as the sisters rallied against her, a shockwave of force from Khamet billowed through them, smashing several against each other or the unyielding stone of the pulpit behind. Horus joined in too, gleefully watching as his cannon blasted even more of the battle sisters off their feet. Even as they tried to stand, to rally, to fight back, the Med were upon them, hollering war-cries and slicing with long blades. To their credit they fought back well - one Med who had overextended himself was clubbed to the ground with the butts of ornate bolters, and the Celestian drove her bayonet into another, opening him from sternum to groin. Above in the pulpit, two of the elite warriors targetted Khamet - and while he effortlessly sidestepped one burst, another was dead-on to his head - but tendrils of magic from his cloak reached up and gently plucked the rounds out of the air, as if politely requesting that the two bolts step aside.

Maeve turned to survey the scene - and was forced to bring her sword up wildly as a long blade came down from above. She parried the first strike, aimed directly at her neck, by the narrowest margin, and then was forced into a one-two dance backward as the palatine drove three more blows at her. The leader of the Sororitas had leapt down from the pulpit, her long power sword flashing as she swung it two-handed, and Maeve was forced to admit that this woman was, perhaps, as deadly as her in close combat, still glowing with the holy light that burned at her retinas.

"Witch-spawn," the woman spat at her, "traitor, despoiler! I will see you dead by my own hand before I let you into this sacred place."

Spoons and Jinx
"Aye, yeh could use a meltagun for that." Aifric said, in the voice Jinx had come to recognise as the "dont-piss-off-the-captain's-crazy-kid" voice. "Or an ordin'ry cuttin' torch."

As they crossed the gantry back to the bay control room, the scene below was considerably quieter. Where there had been hundreds before, there were dozens now - some wounded, some sobbing, several dead, crushed in the clamor or heads stoven in as witches. It looked as if the bulk of the crowd had moved on in search of other percieved threats - there were still enough people to make evacuations worth it for now, but they needn't worry about being mobbed for a little while. In the control room itself, Aifric didn't seem disturbed by the body of the technician - instead shoving it off the control panel and getting to work, nursing the damaged systems back to life.

Genth
2018-02-14, 05:03 AM
As Maeve catches the blade four times with Sweetest Slice, she grins beneath her helm, blood and adrenaline flooding her body. "Long be your suffering and joyous your pain, wretch of the Corpse-Emperor!" she replies, her voice ecstatic, happy as she makes her counterattack, Choicest Cut lashing out in a flurry of blows soon turned away by the woman, the pair's blades moving faster than their allies eyes can see. "I compliment you on your form, Sister. I shall place your skull in a position of pride!" she adds, the Gemstone set between the breasts of her armor starting to shine and shimmer strangely.

Xenopax
2018-02-14, 05:06 AM
Horus Grits his teeth as the promethium burns. He couldn't see straight and everything was red. He tries to shoot another round at the Sisters but ends up shooting the wall instead.

Caellath
2018-02-14, 01:16 PM
Noticing right on time that he was under the sights of the two Celestians on the pulpit, Khamet deftly sidestepped one of the bursts, shells roaring off to smash against the floor. And while the second burst would've hit his head straight on the shells suddenly were no more, disappearing at the same time as the sorcerer's rich robes fluttered as if nudged by an ethereal breeze.

Khamet assumed a lower stance and looked up. "Foolhardy." he commented before one of the Celestians was suddenly struck by a telekinetic push.

Morovir
2018-02-14, 01:19 PM
Lydiadas continues to advance, letting rip another semi-automatic burst from his bolter as he did so.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-14, 02:59 PM
Boarding Party
Lydiadas' careful, methodical firing bore fruit finally, as a well-aimed spray of bolt rounds penetrated the ruined pulpit and exploded inside the armor of one of the Celestians, cracking her breastplate open and blowing her arm nearly entirely off. She slumped noiselessly against the stone wall, and began to slowly, messily bleed to death. Khamet's power didn't fail him now, flinging another one of the elite warriors into the air, to come down on the stonework with a hideous crunch: she desperately hobbled out of the way, struggling into cover.

Maeve's opponent seemed briefly, brightly beguiled by the gemstone, her body beginning to slacken into the position of rapture that Maeve recognised well - but with what must have been a Herculean effort of will, the Palatine roared with fury and came in swinging again. Maeve was impressed by how the woman pulled off a creditable feint-and-return - creditable, but no match for Sweetest Slice, which saw clean through the trick and knocked her blows aside with careful precision. The woman roared again, infuriated to be denied the kill.

"My form is a gift from the holy God-Emperor," she insisted, and made another low sweeping blow which Maeve neatly sidestepped. "There will be no greater act of worship to Him than to prove it superior to yours."

Genth
2018-02-14, 03:08 PM
With each connection of lightning-wreathed metal against lightning-wreathed metal, a sharp crack echoes around the chamber. The pace of the Palatine and Maeve's dance quickens, Maeve turning aside blows just as fast as the Palatine blocks hers. "Ha, such lies you have been told! These skills come from you, no pile of decay on a throne!" she says, sweetness flooding her words, an overhand blow from Choicest Cut slicing through nothing but air as the battle continues. "You deny yourself, Rachael, you deny the path you are on to perfection. The Throne holds you back, makes your skill a mere tool of theirs"

Xenopax
2018-02-14, 04:03 PM
Horus grits his teeth and wills himself to ignore the pain. He opens fire using his second to last round of ammunition.

Caellath
2018-02-15, 12:59 AM
With the two foes that had shot at him a mere seconds before now out of sight and Maeve apparently happy about her duel, Khamet decided to take care of the Celestian that had attacked him not too long ago. There she was, so conveniently close to the pulpit while fighting and killing the crazed Med. The sister bravely fought with tooth and nail against the massed attacks from the ship's attack dogs, keeping them at bay and punishing their advances with masterful executions brought by her serrated sarissa.

Which is why he rewarded her efforts by telekinetically smashing her armored frame against the stonework. A fitting prize for a task well-performed.

Morovir
2018-02-15, 05:34 AM
"IRON WITHIN! IRON WITHOUT!" Lydiadas roars as he charges into the Sisters, swinging his axe in a wide arc.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-15, 07:23 AM
Boarding Party
Lydiadas crashed into the line of sororitas from behind and set about them methodically with his axe, cutting two down with two vicious blows. Others tried to break and flee, and they were blown apart by cannonfire from horus. Even the Med managed to land telling blows, driving blades into exposed joints. Khamet slammed one of the celestians against the pulpit, spread-eagling her as if crucified for a moment, with a crunch of stone and bone and crisp white armor. Once the telekinetic force was released, she dropped to the ground, and was immediately set on by the med with boot and blade.

The palatine kept up her assault against Maeve - but Maeve could tell that the woman was tiring, her relentless assault against the captain wearing her down. She barely even had to parry the next flurry of blows, and the woman was now grunting with frustration rather than anger. "I give myself voluntarily... When would you ever..."

One of the sororitas came in with a blow from her bolter that grazed off Maeve's armor, but it spoiled her blow and gave the Palatine space to peel away for a moment. The Celestine that Khamet had thrown away charged in, chopping with her sarissa, and to Maeve's shock she saw the other struggling to her knees despite one leg bleeding horifically, gutting two of the Med that had been trampling on her, and bringing her sarissa down like an axe to chop into the foot of a third, who fell screaming. The palatine shouted, a vocaliser in her mask carrying her voice above the roar of gunfire and the screams of the dying.

"Isabella! Now! Vouchsafe us!"

There was a crunch, that Maeve heard even from across the room. Something had just shoulder-barged the large wooden reliquary doors down.

Only Horus and Lydiadas could see it from where they were. Horus had seen many dreadnoughts in his time, and had fought alongside Ancient Hrylas, a Contemptor. This was spindlier and wirier, with less of the stomping power of a true dreadnought, but it was larger and faster, an agile, hunched run carrying it through the doorway and straight towards the Astartes. Censers hung from it's waist, spraying devotional incense as it came, and two chimneys on it's back belched scented smoke. Instead of the bulky, armored coffin of a dreadnought pilot, an iron cage was mounted on it's front, with a woman inside. She was blindfolded and shackled, and barbs within the cage pierced deep into her flesh as she moved. She piloted the engine by hauling on heavy chains, and laughed uproariously, joyously, as it thundered towards them, the two heavy bolters on it's arms already spinning up to fire.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/assets/313876/PenitentEngine00.jpg

OOC
Fear tests (-10)(-0) from everyone please.

The Penitent Engine is so large you get +20 to hit it.

Xenopax
2018-02-15, 07:49 AM
"Cousins! The sisters have brought a Penitent Engine!,"

Horus Concentrates his next volley of bullets at the Penitent Engine and the Sinner trapped inside.

Genth
2018-02-15, 03:42 PM
Maeve's eyes widen slightly beneath her helmet, and a flicker of.. disappointment runs through her veins. She can see how others would be scared - terrified - of the hulking thing now threatening them all, but she feels... nothing. Interest, perhaps, maybe a scintilla of a thrill, but a significant upwell of loss tinges her emotions. She rounds upon the Palatine with cold fury now, her banter ceasing for a moment, and starts to launch a counter attack, blades lashing out on all sides. With Sweetest Slice, she knocks the woman's blade rightward, and then, turning and using her own momentum, she captures the blade between two claws of Choicest Cut, and with a flick, she smartly dislodges the weapon from the Palatine's fingers, flicking it through the air to land, almost perfectly, against Maeve's side, clamping to her armor's hip and out of the sister's reach.

Caellath
2018-02-15, 04:44 PM
Khamet frowned at the mention of a penitent engine. Though the sorcerer wasn't too knowledgeable about the Creed and its forces, he was aware those engines were much like demented dreadnoughts, with skill and age replaced by mindless aggression and religious fervor. It was truly Tzeentch's (cursed) luck that they had to face one in such an enclosed space. Things could turn out for the worse very soon.

++We need to see to it that it is downed before it can engage in melee.++ He said as he flicked his wrist and once more smashed the stubborn sister against the masonry. Her efforts were commendable but ultimately useless.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-15, 07:54 PM
Boarding Party
Horus pounded shot after shot into the engine as it charged, watching it sprint towards him, impossibly fast. The Med broke and fell back, even Lydiadas made a sharp tactical withdrawal - but Horus was a Black Legionnaire, first among traitors, and was harder to sway than that. Only one of his rounds seemed to do any damage, and he felt his gun click dry - but then it was on him, swinging it's chainfist in a wide arc that would have bisected him had it not been for the vagaries of his force field turning the blow aside, with a noise like a truck plowing into a live generatorium. He staggered sideways from the blow, his tortured armor screaming - but barely remained standing, and now the massive thing was in range for his chainfist.

Maeve's trick had worked well - but with the Med falling back, she suddenly found herself alone as the last few survivors of the convent piled in on her. The Palatine grabbed a stubby sword - one of the Med's blades - from the ground, and dropped into a defensive stance, while her last bodyguard stepped up alongside her, proffering a Bolter with Sarissa mounted. Khamet's victim had been slammed against the wall again though - and this time there was no respite, cracking armor sending vicious ruby-red sprays of blood out as the sororitas was ground into the wall behind her like cheap groxmeat.

Genth
2018-02-15, 08:07 PM
After clicking the sword against her hip, Maeve frowns as the Med start their fleeing. With a single overarm blow, she brings Sweetest Slice down atop the Palatine's pitiful blade, shattering it into pieces. ++Halt your cowardice, Med. If you flee this battle, you'll face far worse than that scrap of flesh in a baby carrier!++ she spits into the Vox. "Surrender, Rachael. You are done." she says, witheringly, to the woman before her.

Xenopax
2018-02-15, 09:38 PM
Horus takes the blow like a man and then attacks back. He feels the Power of Khorne surging through him but he rejects it. To let it take him over would be to succumb to the battle madness.

When he sees Lydia Running he Bellows "COWARD! You proclaim to be a master of machinery but run from the very sight of one!"

Caellath
2018-02-16, 01:36 AM
With the unsurprisingly stubborn but amusingly tough sister crushed into a red paste against the masonry, Khamet could calmly decide his next step without another well-trained and glowing sister as a possible threat. There was no need for a tactical analysis of the situation to show that Horus was in trouble. That was made very clear when chainfist met terminator armor and the latter managed to suffer only a glancing blow that still filled the air with sparks and the horrific cry of metal grinding against metal. The penitent engine was also much nimbler than the marine had expected, used as he was to the lumbering dreadnoughts.

The sorcerer mentally ordered his familiar to charge in as a distraction, following suit right afterward. The Black Key seethed with barely-contained power as its owner finally twisted its dark and heavy blade towards a worthy foe, its sinuous movement cutting the air like a venomous snake. As skillful as Khamet was when penetrating the defenses of skilled enemies, his experience was likely of little use against a foe that dodged instead of parrying.

++Catch it if it tries to escape.++ He quipped as he joined Horus in the fray.

Xenopax
2018-02-16, 04:54 AM
+++Escape? I highly doubt the thought will even cross the things mind. All that they even think of is their "Redemption" for their "sins" to their false god. No, this is a battle to their death. On the bright side whatever they're guarding is bound to be worth a good amount. Maybe enough to afford that power field upgrade we were conversing about earlier. Now if you'll excuse me I must devote my attention to bringing this monstrosity down. +++

Morovir
2018-02-16, 05:54 AM
Lydiadas stared at the sight of the Penitent Engine, horror written on his features underneath his helmet. Such a machine was an... abomination. Did these fools not know the pain they were inflicting on the machine? Could they not hear it crying out at its torment, in a fury that pained his aural implants? He had to get away from it.

Lydiadas bids a hasty tactical withdrawal, heading at all speed towards the nearest door, his foes all but forgotten in his rush.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-16, 07:11 AM
Boarding Party
The Penitent Engine's attention was focused so strongly on Horus that it didn't even see Khamet coming in from the side. Khamet's sword bit deep into it, gouging through armor and wiring until it reached the solid engine core - at which point he poured his willpower into it. Energy coruscated across the surface of the engine, tearing it apart - until it reached the bolt rounds, and the penitent engine exploded, belching out flame and a shockwave that flung Khamet backwards and rippled over Horus' armor like a firestorm. Gutted from the inside, the little that remained of the chassis of the engine collapsed over sideways, shattering stone where it landed and spilling debris out across the floor. Before the explosion, Sister Isabella had been looking directly at Horus - and he just briefly saw her laughter stop.

The death of the penitent engine was the last straw for the few remaining sisters of battle. They broke and ran, heading for the exits, head-down rushes that took them past where Lydiadas was hiding and off into the bowels of the ship. The Palatine howled with loss and, snatching the Sarissa from her last remaining ally, came in hard again against Maeve, one last ditch attack that scored a deep groove in her armor but didn't so much as scrape her flesh.

Caellath
2018-02-16, 08:52 AM
Khamet had surmised that one of two would happen: the engine would either try to dodge Djet's distraction and allow his and Horus' attacks to strike true, or it'd dodge his sword strike and then fall right into Horus' vicious blow in a performance he'd already mentally orchestrated. In a twist the sorcerer hadn't predicted, the penitent engine simply ignored him as it focused its attention solely on the terminator-clad warrior with a chainfist. Uncouth!

It'd prove to be its last mistake ever.

After the sorcerer drew his psychic power and deposited it within the Black Key's heavy blade, even he was surprised by the results. The violent, metal-tearing attack caused an explosion that blew him away, scratched his armor's paint, and forced Djet to first roll evasively mid-air then hoot indignantly. Not that the owl complained further when his owner nodded towards him, the gratitude for the assistance bleeding through their mental link. Khamet's familiar was paranoid but also quite loyal to his owner, and was content with not getting hurt.

++I will be cheering for you.++ Khamet quipped at Horus from behind the flaming wreckage, referring to the black legionnaire's comment about devoting his attention to bringing the engine down. Then, after a moment of silence, he added. ++Excellent job.++

Xenopax
2018-02-16, 09:38 AM
His inner Khornate told him to gut Khamet for stealing his kill but he told it to hush. He wasn't that petty.
"Marvelous Job Cousin, Couldn't have done it better myself. Now we must attend to our more Cowardous Cousin,"
Horus voxes to Lydia
"The machine has been destroyed Coward. Come back and receive your shame,"

He then begins reloading his gun.

Caellath
2018-02-16, 01:32 PM
"You flatter me. Knowing an Engine is liable to ignore other threats when you are present is valuable information." Khamet replied before turning his attention away from Horus and the flaming wreckage and towards Maeve, who was still dueling the Palatine and the Celestian he'd previously wounded. Their captain looked comfortable swiping at her foes while the sisters, likely blinded by rage, only knew failure.

"The Lord-Captain seems to be enjoying herself. I shall stand by her until she tires of this and decides to either subdue or kill the survivors. The time to pacify the pilgrims draws near." The sorcerer jogged towards the pew barricade, pieces of the vanquished Penitent Engine clattering on the damaged floor as they were kicked aside. Djet followed his master in silent flight, receding back into his role as a silent watcher and unmatched psy-focus.

Genth
2018-02-16, 04:31 PM
The despair in the two sister's voices almost brings a tear of joy to Maeve's eye, and she smirks beneath her helm. "Such is the fate of all who kneel before your corpse" she says, starting to toy with the pair, lazy weapon swings kissing the air beside them. She shifts her stance slightly, bringing Choicest Cut within inches of the Palatine's head. "Throw down your pitiful weapon, and I'll give you a quick death"

Caellath
2018-02-16, 05:07 PM
Khamet just watched with amusement as Maeve fought the sisters. By now the survivors probably came to the realization that without further threats they were being treated as nothing more than entertainment, their lives squarely under the heretics' armored thumbs to use or discard.

++We might want to have Brother Lydiadas visit the shield generatorium. It would do us no good if the ship is torn asunder after we resume our... Rescue.++ It was comforting to once more be out of combat and back into the field he was more used to: planning ahead and setting a stage he could control.

In fact, maybe he should start as soon as possible, before the pilgrims destroyed each other far too much. ++Horus, watch over the Lord-Captain. I shall soothe the flock's nerves.++

Caellath
2018-02-17, 12:42 PM
++A secondary mental transmission is incoming.++ With combat out of the way and nothing else to bother him for the moment, Khamet nodded to Horus and took his leave from the room. The sorcerer drew the eldritch green flames of his patron god out of the Warp once more. While his first cast was off the target, he judged the second suitable and devoured its power, being in turn only lightly burned by it. Quickly seizing the opportunity he called upon his divination powers, gaining insight into the words he should say and how he should use them in order to better calm the "flock" and make them pliable to being herded into the shuttles of their saviors. The many paths were now open to him.

Though his first cast failed due to the fickle nature of the Warp, his altered voice quickly boomed into the minds of all within the ship once more.

You have worked towards cleansing yourselves from sin and have done well, my children. Further travails await you, but know that all trials of the body, mind and soul are necessary. Be instead glad that this disintegrating vessel shall not be the grave of all of my flock. Be joyous for this moment, for salvation is within reach. The time may be short but do not allow despair to once more creep into your hearts. Steel your minds, move to this vessel's hold with sure steps and be taken away from this dying shell.

My Daughters, my Sororitas, you have brought shame upon yourselves. Return and charge towards death. Deliver yourselves unto the Golden Throne so that I may render judgment.

The sorcerer once more used the natural gift of an astartes' enhanced charisma and his powerful tones to fool the loyalists. So many time devoted to all manner of trickery and deceit while making use of all the tools he could in his favor gave him pleasant results.

++A number of Sisters escaped during combat. The broadcast was made so as to also convince the runners to return and die, but I advise you to prepare for... Complications of the non-environmental sort in the hangar.++ Khamet wasn't happy with the prospect of the escaping sisters just hanging around, and decided to add that last bit to have the Sisters return and commit suicide on the heretics' weapons. That way there would be no loose ends remaining.

Revanus
2018-02-17, 02:15 PM
Spoons nudges their resident hacker on the shoulder.

”Ok—give us a chest high wall. If they can’t clear it, they won’t survive long aboard our ship. And we’re about to see a big wave of incoming.

Spoons grips his long las a bit tighter and triggers his combead

“Pilots—prepare for wave 2. Keep the birds safe—that’s top priority. Whatever we bring home is bonus.”

Command channel:”Copy that.”

Genth
2018-02-17, 02:58 PM
The dance between Maeve and the two sisters continues, although Maeve seems to be... sloppy, at least in her attacks. Several lazy swipes miss the Palatine Entirely, Choicest Cut sweeping through the air like the paw of an ineffectual kitten. Perhaps in balance, Sweetest slice manages to expertly pick apart the Celestian, a swipe to brutally slice through her Achilles tendon, then straight through the throat, ending her. When the Palatine counter-attacks with a flurry of expert shots however, Maeve's hand springs into effectual action, the parried blades singing in the air before the Sarissa finally shatters into pieces.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-17, 04:48 PM
Boarding Party
Once again Khamet was left with little idea as to the success of his deception. The palatine, at least, was unaffected, continuing to trade strikes with Maeve. At long, long last, her bolter was torn from her grasp - and she dropped to her knees, spent, surrounded by enemies.

"Kill me, then. I go to the emperor begging for his mercy, for I have failed. But at least I may ask."

Spoons & Jinx
"Right on it." Aifric confirmed, crossing the room to a computer bank and hauling entrails of wiring out through a panel, plugging and switching. The machine spirit of the door seemed to chafe at such rough treatment - but the Laghain woman succeeded, stopping the door at chest height. It didn't seem entirely necessary though - even after Khamet's power, the pilgrims returning came as a trickle, rather than a flood - and very frequently they were the old, young, or injured - not the hale and hearty specimens of the first wave. The reavers had no difficulty taking them on board, though, and it seemed that the flow was slowly increasing. Filling the ships should be trivial - if, Jinx realised with horror, they could be patient.

Maeve's vox-unit crackled, fuzzy from the distortion of being routed through her shuttle. It wasn't Spoons this time (he heard it too, fretting in the hangar): it was the master of etherics, back on the ship.

"I beg to inform you, mistress. We are reporting warp translations at close range. Three vessels of the hated imperium have emerged from the empyrean on a direct heading for our location. They will be upon us imminently. I have taken the liberty of ordering the crew to battle stations: should I continue?"

OOC - Everyone!
Okay, you guys are now on a time limit! Specifically, I'm now going to track time in terms of Void Combat turns - namely, half-hours. The transfer back to the Tir Na Og will take at least ten minutes. The longer you guys are on the ship, the longer the enemy has to locate and approach you. Don't feel the need to walk through what you're doing moment-by-moment during this time, feel free to say things like "I search for the navigator's quarters" or "I let them load for ten minutes, then go." If you think a roll would be appropriate, go ahead and roll.

You can give instructions to your crew back on the ship - but remember, they're not trained as well as you. In addition, any Maneuver actions they might make will take them away from the pilgrim vessel - and to fly your shuttles over there will take more time, possibly up to whole extra turns. (Little shuttles move slower than big cruisers.) The other action that might have complications is Silent Running - void shields taking impacts (such as from asteroids) are pretty easy to detect: if you want to hide properly, that might mean making yourself vulnerable.

Genth
2018-02-17, 05:05 PM
"I respect skill, Rachel. So I will give you a quick death at least." Maeve replies, before swinging Sweetest slice down and neatly through her neck, sending the head rolling to the floor. ++As much as that ruined my moment, Master of Etherics, you did right in contacting me. Give me a read out of the ships as soon as you can without compromising our position, I shall we with you soon.++ she voxes to the ship, calmly. She walks towards the Palatine's head, and picks it up, attaching it to the side of her armor with the twisted remains of her hair. She turns to the Med. ++Begin to drag the Sisters corpses to the Boat. Their armor will be of use." she orders them, starting to walk towards the Reliquary. Over the command channel, she voxes ++As you may have heard, Adjutant, we have a situation. Continue loading pilgrims until Khamet asks for a pickup. Then pick him up. Horus, you go with Khamet, make sure he doesn't spend too long poking around. Lydiadias, if you're done panicking, find Horus and Khamet an exit point close to the bridge, and transmit the location to Spoons and the Ulst. I will be checking the Reliquary and then leaving for the Tir na nOg.++.

So Maeve's orders are
Med drag bodies to Assault Boat.
Maeve checks Reliquary, then makes for Assault boat and leaves as soon as the Med are on board. Possibly Lydiadias if he wants to come help Maeve make the ship ready.
Khamet gets to poke around, Horus guards him.
Lydiadias finds a suitable exit point for Khamet and Horus.
Spoons keeps loading pilgrims until either full, of Khamet is ready. Then picks up Khamet, Horus and returns to the Tir na nOg

Meanwhile, if Maeve takes more than 1 turn to do so, the Master of Etherics on the ship will do an Active Augury to identify the capabilities of the ships, once they are in range. If doing so would mean revealing the Tir na nOg more than it already is, he won't do it.

Caellath
2018-02-17, 06:11 PM
The sorcerer returned to the chapel moments before the Palatine was killed and walked past the execution on his way towards the Reliquary. It was somewhat of a waste in his opinion, as he could've tried to get some research on miracles and faith-based powers done with such a test subject or used her as a worthy sacrifice for some particularly tricky ritual in the future. Still, he assumed Maeve wanted the satisfaction of dealing the killing blow and let it be. Furthermore, any relics they recovered that the daemon had no interest in would likely also be good material for ritual despoiling.

"I will borrow this." Khamet told Horus as he telekinetically floated the meltagun from the Celestian killed by the terminator over to his hand before stepping into the hole made by the Penitent Engine.

Xenopax
2018-02-18, 12:10 AM
Horus Voxes through to the Master of Ordinance."Prepare The Guns and Have extra men stationed at each one. No Warning shots. No boarders until Instructed otherwise,"
He then cuts the Vox and follows Khamet.
"You have 20 minutes before we get back to the ship. Make the Most of it,"

LeSwordfish
2018-02-18, 05:53 AM
"Aye, Ma'am," the current leader of the Med said. They set to gathering up the power armor - the sisters of battle weren't small women though, and the Med were barely able to lift one each. Some of their casualties were only injured, too: though nobody openly asked, it looked as if they were weighing up bringing wounded companions back against looting armor.

The Reliquary
Sister Isabella's progress through the doors had reduced them to kindling - it seemed as if she had been sealed in the reliquary as a last line of defense. It wasn't a large room, but had a window onto the void itself. Maeve could see asteroids drift past, the Tir Na Og holding stately position - and perhaps those three specks behind them were in formation? They were too distant to identify as visually different from the stars behind.

The reliquary was low and dark, not much bigger than a small hab-room. Maeve had seen museums before and it reminded her of that - glass cases lined the walls, each with an object inside. With the trio of imperial ships watching her from outside, she set to reading the labels on the cases - they were etched gold, and probably thousands of years old in their own right. The largest relic was a stone imperial eagle from some cathedral somewhere: the smallest were two of saint Elias' toe-bones. Maeve had been wondering if the daemon would reveal any more information when she arrived here, but once she'd moved on to the fifth cabinet she realised it was surprisingly easy to identify.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/b/bc/Daemon_Hammer.jpg

It was a daemonhammer: it had a stone head with decorated gold iconography, a metal haft as thick around as Maeve's arm, covered with purity seals as thickly as feathers on a swan. Some of the symbols hurt to look at. It lay on rich velvet cloth, and on the brass plaque below it was written.

The Daemonhammer of Saint Elias
Born by him in the Angevin Crusade
Used to banish the Daemon Sophoriah, M39.120

Revanus
2018-02-18, 02:47 PM
”Change of plans. We want to be airborne in 10 minutes or so. Let’s get the airlock in position to cycle as fast as possible—if hat means bringing the inner door fully open and abandoning our makeshift roadblock, that’s fine. So, mark 10 minutes and then start the airlock cycle, copy?”

Spoons then triggers his combead. “Pilots—I want us back aboard the flagship within 25 minutes. Take as many cargo on as you can in the next 10 to 12 minutes, and then be prepared to bug out and tactically retreat at combat speed. We may have enemy company incoming. The exception are my two gun-cutters flanking the Captain’s craft. Stay on overmatch, but be ready to pick up friendlies who may radio in for a ride shortly. They’re going to need a fast taxi back to the flagship—current location is tbd.”

Revanus
2018-02-18, 02:48 PM
Command channel:
<Roger. Heading back in 10 minutes. Have two gun cutters standing by to pick up Khamet. Where is your planned pickup point?>

Revanus
2018-02-18, 03:07 PM
Almost as an afterthought, Spoons turns to Aifric.

”If it’s easy enough, have the inter airlock reopen in 25 minutes. We may need a distraction, and we shouldnrinse our trail. Venting the cargo bay might catch any inbound imperials unaware.”
Combead:
“Second wave—stay alert for potential imperial infiltrators among the second wave. Young, female combatants specifically. The Captain shattered a unit of female loyalists, and we want to make sure we don’t give them a way off as they retreat.”

Spoons then shoulders his long-las and takes up a firing position, scanning the crowd for any sisters of battle.

Caellath
2018-02-18, 03:48 PM
"It is a pleasant surprise that it was so easily found." Khamet commented after reading the plaque from behind Maeve and spending a few more moments quickly scanning the other relics for anything of interest. Nothing. Seemingly no tomes or scrolls that were of use to the saint in life and that could be of use to his enemies in death. It was a pity for him but an understandable situation. Maybe he had owned a plethora of other useful material but it was off being used in the field instead of collecting dust like the daemonhammer. The Ministorum was truly staffed by buffoons of varying degrees of stupidity.

"All relics have to be retrieved, but none piques my immediate interest." The sorcerer had already turned his back as he made his announcement, preparing to head towards the bridge in order to invade and plunder the Navigator's Sanctum. He had just left the reliquary he noticed how the Med were carrying corpses. Incorrectly, that is. "Drag instead of lifting." he pointed out as he walked out of the chapel. "Horus, I shall dash to the bridge to obtain some knowledge, so you may assist with the spoils."

++Lydiadas, are you joining me? You could locate the Confessor's quarters through the vessel's cogitators, and we may better examine the vessel's situation and working systems since we are in a rush for our prize no more.++ Khamet waited to see if Lydiadas would follow before starting on his jog towards the bridge. It was then that he received Spoons' transmission.

++Waiting to pick me up might be unnecessary depending on how swiftly I can sort the knowledge to plunder. In any case, a single shuttle would be enough, and the airlock we used to gain admittance to the vessel is close enough to my objective.++

++Now... Why would you be heading back so soon? Are you leaving someone behind to oversee the rescue or are there no pilgrims forthcoming?++

LairdMaon
2018-02-18, 03:50 PM
Jinx fingers Maurice's trigger absently as she scans the mass of fearful flesh.

"Hey, Spoons, honey? Um... Did any of us think to kill their coms? The long range stuff? That might be why we got new comp'ny inbound.."

LeSwordfish
2018-02-18, 04:18 PM
Spoons and Jinx
"Aye." Aifric said, betraying no more than the slightest frustration at undoing her hard work. "That's all alreet. But it cannae be rushed, the cogitators o'course were nae designed for this."

"An no way could this scrapheap have called for help this fast. Even if the astropaths sent out a message as soon as it were hit, to come tha' quickly would mean they were in the same system already. We ain't seen nothing like tha'." She shrugged, and hauled on a bundle of wires, pulling them out of the cogitator bank like a woman weeding her garden. "Maybe they were chasin' us. Maybe we just have the luck o'the warp."

The inner airlock lowered, without much effect on the speed of the pilgrims. Spoons couldn't see any dressed in the garb of a sister of battle - though, he thought, nothing would prevent them from taking off their armor and joining the flow, weapons concealed.

Genth
2018-02-18, 04:23 PM
Maeve croons as she sees the Daemonhammer, walking up to it slowly and placing the deactivated Choicest Cut against the glass. "Ohhhhh, this is beautiful..." she whispers to herself. With a thought, the lightning claw activates, shattering the glass, and reaching in to brush her fingers against it. ++Change of plans. Horus, I need you to carry something for me. Lydiadias, you're with Khamet++ she voxes to the three Astartes. When Horus lumbers in, she orders him to take the Daemonhammer and transport it back to their shuttle.

++Adjutant, that is not what I ordered. You wait until Khamet has asked for his pickup. You have a job to do. If you've a problem with how long it takes, then pester my Advisor to hurry his enhanced arse up.++

Revanus
2018-02-18, 05:19 PM
Command channel: <Apologies, my Captain. This wave is full of injured and infirm, and loading slowly as a result. We can load up fully, but I fear this crop may not be worth much compared to the risk. Nevertheless, your orders are law, and will be followed unless newer orders are received.>

"Sorry Aifric. Another change of plans from higher up. Belay my last order, just have us ready to pull a quick airlock cycle at my signal. Our departure timing is up in the air. If you can have the airlock do a venting ten minutes following whenever we leave, that's fine, but less a priority then getting a clean and quick cycle for our departure. Copy?"

Combead: "Pilots, change of plans We'll go wheels up at my order. Keep me apprised as we get close to capacity. Load up quickly--the sooner we're full, the sooner we're wheel up. But be prepared for tactical withdrawal and emergency scramble. Escorts, stay in position by the Captain's shuttle. That'll be the exit point if your assistance is needed."

Xenopax
2018-02-18, 05:53 PM
"Very well captain. Shall I take some more relics alongside this one? The gods will be pleased with their defilement,"
Horus takes the hammer and carefully holds it.

Genth
2018-02-18, 06:04 PM
"As much as we can quickly strap to your back!"

Maeve will spend 5 minutes with Horus strapping stuff on before making her way back to the Assault boat

LeSwordfish
2018-02-19, 05:30 AM
Khamet found the navigator's room to be bare, almost spartan - it was very quick and easy to find the books of maps. Flicking through them, he realised that there was a reasonably complete set of maps of the Calixis sector here, along with several that, as best he could tell, traced out the path of the Angevin crusade. There were also a few history books, including a genealogy of a minor navigator house, and behind a silk curtain, the chair and equipment that the navigator used to smooth the transition to the warp. Khamet was pretty sure they were of better quality than those on the Tir Na Og - but getting them moved would take several cargo servitors and a few hours, not him and Horus.

Lydiadas was able to find the confessor's room very quickly. It was no more than a few minutes away: the confessor clearly hadn't eschewed the clean, relatively spacious quarters of the upper decks for a life amongst the pilgrims. Identifying the state of the ship was rather harder - there was a lot of static on the screens. It seemed that the diagnostic devices in the damaged sections had also been damaged, and so getting more accurate information than "they're not there any more" was difficult. The enginarium was partially responding - which was bad news, because that meant enough of the plasma core was still there to meltdown. Lydiadas estimated that the ship had a 80% chance of surviving the next hour, perhaps a 50% chance of surviving the hour after that, and then less than ten percent of the following hour. He suspected the margin of error on those estimates was really quite high, though. What was more, without a working Augur, he couldn't effectively track or predict the asteroid movements: another impact like the first few - or just about anything to the plasma core - and the ship would be so much dust and debris. From the Tir Na Og, he might be able to.

Horus
As Horus picked up the hammer in his massive fist, he felt something tug at his hand. He was briefly reminded of the pain of the flame that had consumed him earlier - but it passed, and he and Maeve were able to load the rest of the relics on.

OOC
Nothing for Spoons or Jinx just yet, things are moving slower for them.

About ten minutes has passed for each of you (including Khamet moving to the confessor's quarters). Loading Horus up is slow.

Xenopax
2018-02-19, 09:08 AM
Horus boards the ship (after receiving permission of course) or whatever they are using to get to the ship. He places all the relics in a safe place and then heads to check the weapon preparation.

Caellath
2018-02-19, 01:10 PM
Khamet moved with haste around the room while at the same time displaying care and skill when handling scroll and binding alike. After untold centuries of seeking knowledge one learned many things, including how to quickly flip pages while wearing power armor without damaging them. The history books would make for pleasant reading, though he was disappointed the navigator's collection was lacking in more esoteric tomes. And what he saw behind the curtain certainly drew his attention...

He stepped back into the bridge carrying a fair amount of reading material, with Djet hooting in a pleased tone as they flew over their owner with a small map holder in their claws. The sorcerer obtained the confessor's quarter's location with Lydiadas and also received a report on the ship's vitals. He furrowed his brow as he mentally went over the situation.

++Is there anything you could do from the bridge to delay the ship's death? Are the shields down due to insufficient energy or due to damage? I assume the former could be remedied by cutting off abandoned sections and rerouting power.++
++It might be in our best interests to keep this tomb intact for longer than expected, and not only for a better harvest.++ Khamet announced over the teams' shared comms as he prepared to leave the bridge. ++The late navigator's quarters hold Warp-immersion equipment of superior quality compared to our vessel's. I need not explain the importance and value of this find, but its retrieval would take effort and time. Relighting the vessel's void shields might be in order at the very least, as we could claim the prize after dealing with our uninvited guests.++

++Adjutant, keep me up to date on the situation with the flock and tell me if a psychic intervention is once again in order.++

LeSwordfish
2018-02-19, 02:20 PM
Lydiadas didn't need to study the ship in detail to report back on the likeliness of reigniting the void shields. While it was strictly possible to draw power from the few remaining emergency systems to the shields, if the power core was already near meltdown such an act was very likely to finish it off. Similarly, if any of the shield generators were offline - and judging by the state of the ship that seemed likely - a haphazard reignition would risk a cascade that could blow out the others. With a trained crew and a phalanx of servitors, he would have attempted it: on his own it seemed unconscionably risky.

OOC
By himself, reigniting the shields will be a -60 tech-use test.

Revanus
2018-02-19, 02:43 PM
Command channel: <Understood. Offer is appreciated, but this cargo is too worn out to be trouble. Might even be more trouble then they're worth--some of the cargo looks practically D.O.A.

I don't have eyes on the tactical situation. Assuming the rest of us are equally in the dark. Quick counterpoint: in the absence of good intel, do we really want to go fangs out for the privilege of dodging more asteroids just to scrape this fatal junk heap clean?

If not, we can rig the airlock mechanism to encourage the remainder to tell no tales, as certain men are wont not to do, aye?>

Genth
2018-02-19, 02:59 PM
++More accurate Navigators are worth ten thousand healthy slaves, Adjutant - if the Forge Tyrant can fix the void shields. Otherwise you're correct. I just don't want you leaving before Khamet.++ Maeve replies, brusquely, over the command channel.

Twenty five minutes almost to the second after the Master of Etherics voxed her, the Prince sweeps onto her bridge with a smirk, helm under one arm, the Palatine's head still attached to her hip. "Report, Master of Etherics." she commands as she sits down on her throne, eyes flickering across the hololithic displays, helm passed to a slave, and right hand tapping her chin.

Caellath
2018-02-19, 03:12 PM
++It is as expected then, repairing at least part of the damage suffered by the void shield's Generatorium would be necessary lest we feel like contending with... Unpleasant odds stacked against our efforts.++ Khamet replied to Lydiadas as he ran towards the confessor's quarters, a few scrolls fluttering behind him and a fair amount of plunder neatly piled and tied to his armor, the sanctum's cloths and sheets used as sacks for safekeeping the stolen knowledge.

++What is the distance between the bridge and the Generatorium?++
++Deaths and injuries were expected, Adjutant.++

Revanus
2018-02-19, 03:48 PM
Command channel: <Of course. Eggs will break—we’ve broken a few ourselves. Nobody’s crying over spilled recaf—and calm is better than mobbing. Your efforts improved the situation, and gratitude is sincerely expressed. We will skim what we can and return shortly.>

Morovir
2018-02-19, 03:55 PM
Lydiadas' voice comes in over the vox:

++The ship's a mess, and the void shields are going to be damned near impossible to get up. I mean, it could be done, with sufficient time and servitors, but with what I am working with at the moment, I calculate a 22% chance of success, and a >50% probability that the ship will not survive the reawakening. Awaiting further instructions.++

Caellath
2018-02-19, 05:14 PM
There was a moment of silence before Khamet's voice once more filled to the comms. ++A voidship is a resilient beast, and a fire or the explosion of one of its drives is more likely to take it down than asteroids. Lydiadas, how long would it take to lower the plasma drive's power output and prioritize maintaining basic functions? In case it is not possible in what little room we have available we might as well leave it in the hands of fate.++

++Adjutant, I am departing after scouring the confessor's quarters. Give the remaining pilgrims some false hope; promise them another wave and depart without raising their suspicion then head to the assigned meeting point.++

Revanus
2018-02-19, 07:11 PM
Command channel: <Understood. I understand that we can possibly vent this portion of the ship on a time delay to wipe out tracks without destroying the ship. It will only wipe those in the docking bay who could see us depart. Others would be preserved by intermediate airlocks. I won't let it delay our evac, but if we can get it done quickly, would it be preferable to leaving witnesses?>

Genth
2018-02-19, 07:53 PM
There is a pause after Spoons' query. ++Alright. Vent them, Adjutant. Lydiadias, if you can get the reactors down in five minutes, do it. Otherwise meet with Khamet and get back to the Tir na nOg.++

LeSwordfish
2018-02-19, 08:29 PM
The confessor's room was rather less spartan than Khamet had expected, including silk sheets on the beds, expensive hangings on the walls, and what looked like a selection of fine amasecs. Khamet had been hoping for some more practical discoveries, but it seemed that anything of true value was kept elsewhere. A fine-quality bolt pistol was under the pillow on the bed - the confessor could likely not have fired it without blowing his arm off - and a rack on the sideboard held a chainsword that the old man would have had difficulty lifting.

OOC
Khamet finds a best-quality bolt pistol and a good-quality chainsword, both human-sized. He can also take as much fancy decorations/booze as he's willing to carry. If you want to use the extra DOS, he might find something more -
just let me know OOC.

Hauling the bodies of the sisters of battle in their armor behind, the med followed Maeve and Horus back to their shuttle near the bridge. There was much muttering as they walked - the hammer was attracting the attention of the reavers, though they were far too wary of Horus to approach it. Or perhaps of the hammer itself: now she had spent more time in it's presence, Maeve was finding it uncomfortable to contemplate, like anticipating bad news.

Without two of the astartes and more than half the Med, the shuttle seemed almost empty on the ride back. Horus watched idly as the med began stripping the dead sororitas from their armor, piling the bodies in the airlock for easy disposal.

OOC
There are 14 med left, so you get, say, 14-[roll0] sets of sororitas power armor. (Not all the med will have taken one, not all the armor taken will be usable - it's all got at least one hole in it!)

Spoons watched with increasing concern as the flow of pilgrims steadily increased, and the ship rumbled gently, every slight tremor of the deckplate a possible disastrous explosion elsewhere. Aifric had taken to studying the command consoles and drumming her fingers on the butt of her lascarbine: it seemed to be her own way of dealing with the nerves. Spoons wasn't sure if he was relieved or not when Khamet and Lydiadas arrived, moving through the growing crowd like boats in a stream. Happy to be out of there, he gathered up his long-las.

"So," Aifric said, her hand on the controls. "Set a timer on the airlock or nae?"

OOC
Just need an answer to Aifric's question.

Spoons' flight from the ship was tense but uneventful, and he was glad indeed when the ship had docked and the Ulst had ushered their new companions away. Hastening to the bridge with Khamet, Jinx, and Lydiadas, he found that Maeve and Horus had arrived only a few minutes earlier.

"A patrol," the master of etherics was saying to Maeve. "I cannot imagine that they could have reached this location so soon from a mere distress signal, though. Perhaps they were tracking us, or following the pilgrim vessel. Note the shields raised and weapons armed: they were expecting a fight as well."

As if to prove his point, there was the glitter that Maeve recognised as a spray of macrocannon shells: at this range, poorly-aimed, they demolished a cloud of asteroids like a shotgun blast. Each ship also fired a lance beam. Thin and brilliant blue, Maeve was alarmed by how close the two shots came - but they passed harmlessly over the Tir Na Og's prow.

"Strange," the master of etherics said, one thin eyebrow raised. "I am surprised that opening fire immediately is in the standard imperial battle doctrine. Or perhaps we have piqued their fury somehow."

Genth
2018-02-19, 08:37 PM
Maeve settles back on the throne, and slides Choicest Cut into the viscous pool that acts as her control unit. A moment passes, and a smirk crosses her features as she feels the familiar thrum and murmuring whisper of the ship around her. "To business then. Forge Tyrant, get Horus a lock on the targets with the Port Lances,
as soon as you have a solution, Horus can fire." she says, orders coming out fast, and clipped. "Adjutant Spoons, tactical table. I need your insight into Navy attack patterns. The rest of you, look busy!" she yells at the bridge, and her fingers twitch, the engines beginning their powerful burns as she plots in a course to bring them around.

Revanus
2018-02-19, 10:37 PM
Spoons glances at the crowds. They could be saved. There were rescue ships nearby.

And then what? Best case—they would continue to live deluded lives, thanking the corpse Emperor for their good fortune and his mercy, even though it was Spoons that had done the sparing. They would be loyal subjects, make loyal babies, who would grow up to be loyal guardsmen and loyal commissars and loyal inquisitiors, who would make it harder for vengeance. And worst case? They would find their way into the grip of the Inquisition, be tortured, and spill telltale descriptions of Spoons and his companions, and make it much harder for vengeance.

No—better to make a quick and clean end of things. Thankfully, the Captain agreed.

”Set a timer for 10 minutes.”
————

Spoons takes a position by the tactical table and begins to study the board. His presence on the bridge seems welcome to those around him.

“Aye, my Captain.”

Caellath
2018-02-20, 02:33 AM
Khamet looked like a refugee from a world lost to the orks, except for the part where he was a satisfied power-armored giant instead of a desperate and destitute human. The marine, lacking a handcart or any similarly handy method of carrying his ill-gotten gains, had resorted to carrying piles of spoils in his arms and tying the silk bedding he'd found in the confessor's room into extremely fancy sacks filled with plunder. Noise or attrition inside the loot sacks was mostly fixed by the convenient insertion of soft pillows courtesy of the confessor, and the sorcerer seemed fairly happy with his haul as he got into the escape shuttle and headed back to the cruiser. He had his reasons for taking so much that would be mostly useless for him; they had a honored guest after all.

Instead of heading to the bridge, Khamet quickly made his way to the grand sorcery chambers where the minor sorcerers and psykers he drew power from during such times were waiting for him, safely putting the plunder aside for the time being. "Concentrate." If it came down to a violent void fight, the sorcerer's assistance would be necessary to protect the ship and he would need his underlings to focus on their powers and preferably maintain control for as long as possible.

First, Khamet worked on establishing a mental connection with the other senior officers during the opening moments of the void combat. It allowed for fast exchange of information, better cooperation, and also for his mental voice to nudge his companions whenever he thought it necessary.

Morovir
2018-02-21, 02:16 PM
Abandoning attempts to save the pilgrim ship, Lydiadas returned to the ship with the others. Upon his arrival, he headed straight for the bridge, where he plugged in and began to survey the conflict through the ship's sensors.

Windows. Such a useless, ostentatious feature that served only as a vulnerability. Anything that could be seen through windows could long have been detected previously on good enough sensors. He had petitioned previously for them to be removed and replaced with extra armour, like the Iron Blood, but his request had been denied. How very... human.

Shaking his head, Lydiadas turns his attention back to the void war. Streams of binary flicker across his eyes as he selects his target, and with a stream of scrapcode, shuts down the communications of the nearest frigate.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-21, 05:05 PM
For many of the slaaneshi on the ship, void combat was almost unbearably slow and teasing - compared to the sharp violence of hand-to-hand combat, it was a dance of hours, of exquisite pleasure drawn out across whole nights. They watched on the hololith as one of the frigates burned hard towards the wreckage of the pilgrim ship, the other performing a graceful sweep towards them. Maeve's skilful hand on the wheel kept them away from any asteroids that their void shields couldn't run down, and Khamet's ring of connected minds helped the crew work together, a well-oiled machine. Horus' dire imprecations, however, had rather less effect, and barrage after barrage of macrobattery shells went wild, filling the void with flak and debris without landing a single telling strike on the enemy ship.

The cruiser - perhaps put out by Lydiadas' careful jamming - was similarly unable to land a blow on them - but the nearer frigate was clearly controlled by a steelier hand on the tiller: it only fired it's cannons once, a precise strike, with the sublight macrobatteries launched several seconds before the lightspeed lance. Maeve winced as the void shields wavered under the barrage of solid shells - and then they collapsed entirely, and despite her best efforts to evade, the lance hit home, burning a long gash along their starboard side. The hololith lit up with damage results - it wasn't a critical blow, but it looked like they'd lost some of the swelter decks, and debris spilled outwards from the gash like blood into water.

Genth
2018-02-21, 05:38 PM
Maeve hisses softly as she feels the crude hunks of metal scrape the side of her treasured ship, and her gaze swings over to Horus. "Wait for my mark this time, and try and hit your targets!" she yells across the bridge, before plotting in a new course, the ship pushing ahead, the special plasma coils starting to make the ship hum like a choir. As she draws close to the edge of the field, the ship suddenly begins to turn, the inertial fields struggling for a moment, and the ship draws up, getting ever closer to the Light Cruiser. "FIRE ALL WEAPONS!" she yells.

Caellath
2018-02-21, 07:19 PM
It was always disappointing when one had such subpar raw materials to work with. Khamet was painfully aware of that as channeled the power of an entire chamber full of minor sorcerers and psykers, their paltry powers enough to amplify his powers but no less disappointing to control. He'd eventually find better stock one day or another, likely the next time if the team wasn't led into a situation where a destructive distraction was necessary.

The sorcerer let the mind link fade for a moment as he concentrated on the future, trying to predict the enemy vessel's future movements and evasive maneuvers in order to relay new coordinates to Horus. Instead, he was granted with a blurry vision as the Empyrean closed itself to him in such a way as to keep him out of the strands of fate... At least for now. Khamet knew such things happened—and in fact did happen any time such daring attempt into future insight was tried—but it didn't mean he wasn't silently frustrated by the outcome.

It was hard to deal with a source of power that was, at its core, gambling. No matter how much Khamet tried to stack the odds in his favor, luck painfully rearranged itself.

LairdMaon
2018-02-22, 12:58 PM
Jinx

"OH! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! They are beautiful!" Jinx zips the duffel bag closed and blows a kiss at the Master of Munitions, "You're a gem! Take care of my babies!"

Jinx skids into the hangar gasping for her breath. Switching on her loudhailer she calls out, "I NEED A VOLUNTEER TO FLY ME AROUND! I INTEND TO BE A SABOTEUR ON IMPERIAL SHIPS! WHO WANTS THE JOB?"

Morovir
2018-02-22, 04:44 PM
Having jammed the lead frigate's communications, Lydiadas makes his way down to the primary medicae deck, where he begins to deal with the influx of casualties that had begun to flow in. While questionable, his methods are undoubtedly effective, although arguably fewer crew need augmentations than are provided.

Xenopax
2018-02-23, 10:52 AM
"Again! And this time don't miss! Hits shall be rewarded with Amsec. Misses shall be rewarded with an Bullet,"
Horus shows off Ripper 60 to make his point.

Revanus
2018-02-23, 12:33 PM
Spoons signals to the Comms Officer.

"Get me a line to the least damaged ship. It doesn't make sense for them to fire at us off the bat."

-----
<Unidentified imperials vessels—why have you fired upon us? We are a chartered Rogue Trader currently engaged in emergency rescue operations of a civilian vessel. We are defending ourselves from your blatant and unwarranted aggression, as you are in violation of Article 7, Section 20013, Chapter 5 of the Tactica Imperialis, which forbids opening fire on Imperial Vessels, Chartered Rogue Traders, or Unidentified Human Ships without a Statement of Purpose unless first engaged. Explain yourselves and cease fire immediately, or we shall be forced to continue to defend ourselves.>

After a brief moment, Spoons decides to throw his voice to mimic the voice of a terrified old male pilgrim at a distance.

<By Holy Terra---there are women and children aboard! Why are they firing on us?>

[roll0] vs 52/57 (armor)

LeSwordfish
2018-02-23, 04:03 PM
It took a little moment for the cruiser to respond, but when it did, the voice was sharp and officious - Spoons recognised the voice of a man who had started at the top and remained there mostly by nepotism.

"There can be no quarter for you, arch-traitor. We received a distress call from this location six days ago, informing us that a vessel by your description - the Tir Na Og, the benighted vessel of the pirate Maeve Shimmertalon - was ravaging and enslaving an innocent pilgrim vessel. It is my great pleasure that the might of Battlefleet Calixis is here to prevent you from leaving with your cruel work done."

Spoons felt the temptation to roll his eyes.

LairdMaon
2018-02-23, 11:59 PM
Targeting atmospherics and intervessel comms, Jinx chooses the least damaged ship, coincidentally the same one Spoons is talking to. She does her little saboteur fun up to and including krak grenades in sewage lines and frags in med bays.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-24, 05:51 AM
Jinx's dreams of carnage were cut short by the brutal reality of the turret arrays on the flank of the cruiser. One of her flotilla of reavers was destroyed as they swept in, and another lost flight controls and seared into the side of the cruiser like a comet. Despite her dire imprecations, her shangai'd pilot turned, and they burned fast for home. This area of space was getting distinctly dangerous to inhabit, too: both vessels were pounding heavy firepower into each other at an alarming rate. Trapped between the two firestorms, Jinx winced as a pair of macro cannon shells blew a hundred meters of decking out of the chaos ship - and then whooped as the returning salvo walked along the flank of the cruiser, smashing macrocannons, cratering armour, and blowing out ammunition stores in bright, horrible flashes. The final blow of the attack was the most devastating: guided by horus's keen eye and horrible threats, the ship's lance seared out, neatly piercing the nose of the cruiser. Fire roared from the damage into the void.

On the other flank, the fire was even more successful and devastating. Cannon shells smashed the frigate's pitiful shields asunder, before another lance struck it in the stern and blew out three of its massive engines at once. Leaking plasma fuel, the vessel began to slow dramatically.

Revanus
2018-02-24, 12:49 PM
Spoons checked his chrono in disbelief.

Six days?! They’d only been in the system for a few hours, maximum.

<You have made a grave error, you fools! We are not the ship you think. We have been in the system for only a few hours, and have been wholly engaged in rescue operations during that time. The pilgrim vessel is mortally stricken, and its grave state preceded our arrival. Your idiocy and aggression is dooming thousands of innocent pilgrims to the cold void.

Is your tactical naval education so poor that you think it reasonable for a marauder to successfully cripple its target six days prior and still be in the system six days later to be ambushed by the relief force? You are engaging us under a misapprehension, and you and thousands of innocents are paying a steep price for it.

Your actions aren’t even internally rational. You ask us to believe the Imperial Navy sent a veritable strike force to rescue a single pilgrim ship, and then you leave this same ship that was so vitally important to founder in an asteroid field?

It seems more likely that you are the outlaws here, hoping to chase a noble protector away from your helpless prey. We shall not let you abuse these pilgrims. Convince us that you are not rascals and scoundrels, or you will die like the criminals you appear to be!>

Caellath
2018-02-24, 02:03 PM
With his attempt at divination having failed, Khamet had lost one of his most powerful tools. Such a major visualization of the strands of fate wouldn't be possible unless he observed a suitable period of waiting, preferably after the cataclysmic event that was a void battle ended.

The sorcerer returned to once more joining the minds and intentions of the senior officers within the ship as one. "Rest." He did away with the minor sorcerers' assistance for the moment, as he could establish such a link with ease whenever the Warp didn't show its contempt towards its usage as a tool.

LairdMaon
2018-02-24, 02:26 PM
Screw this one, guys! Can we get close enough to any of these ships to be useful?! Get us in and let's see if we can get something done!"

Next target, we'll aim for the next closest imperial ship.

Atmospherics
[roll0]
[roll1]

Comms
[roll2]
[roll3]

Genth
2018-02-24, 03:55 PM
Maeve grins on the bridge, and lets out a loud whoop of joy as she sees Horus' beautifully destructive pattern of shots tear the enemy vessels into shreds, licking her lips in anticipation. As they emerge from the asteroid field, a few loud thumps indicate the rocky void's last gasping attempts to hamper them, but with a cloud of dust and ice, the Tir na nOg bursts free, dancing to the rear of the Light Cruiser, and turning with the engines lowered, to present their full broadside, and the power of their prow guns, to the rear of the enemy ship.

"If you finish them in this shot, Warmaster, you will be rewarded!"

Xenopax
2018-02-25, 11:19 AM
"Very Good men. Fine marksmanship. Let's have another Volly. Take them down in this one and you may each take a slave as your personal attendant and may pick those slaves right after my Fellow astartes and the Captains Circle pick theirs"
Horus's internal cries for Blood have been more or less sated by that last Volly. The destruction was a sight to behold.
Reward from the mouth of a Slaaneshi usually meant something much different than what a normal person would except. Luckily the Captain had taken the Fulgrim side of Slaanesh. If he had a choice he would ask for the Daemonhammer or Permission to hold a ship wide Brawl of the Childslaves. Not only would it please Khorne but this time he would hopefully find a worthy successor.

Revanus
2018-02-25, 03:24 PM
On the bridge, Spoons stands up straighter.

”Let’s show these imperial scum the punishment for those that would challenge the Tir Na Nog. I want the ruin of their ships scattered across the stars as a warning. Gunners—snuff out these annoyances in the next volley—let them see the horror of challenging the elite as their worlds explode!”

LeSwordfish
2018-02-26, 07:08 AM
Jinx was rebuffed from her attack once again - but Horus's bombardment kept it's effect up, blowing out one of the maneuvering engines hard. The frigate behind them was wallowing as they turned away from it, and could barely summon the strength to fire off a few low-power attacks in their direction.

Caellath
2018-02-26, 05:18 PM
The sharing of experiences, feelings and intent through a telepathic link was something Khamet was fairly used to. Not only it allowed him to keep everyone's mind attuned to each other's, it also meant the sorcerer responsible for the link could keep a level of awareness to the results of the other officers' actions.

Of course that meant the exultation derived from the destruction wrought upon the imperial ships was also partially transferred through the link. ++Excellent.++ There was no need to ask for confirmation over vox when feelings spoke so much more.

LeSwordfish
2018-02-27, 07:39 AM
The cruiser's hull was still rippling with secondary explosions, though. Before Horus could even retask the guns for another volley, a series of detonations blew out the underside of the ship, gutting it like the pilgrim vessel. It wasn't entirely dead in the water - but it didn't have long to go.

LairdMaon
2018-02-27, 01:27 PM
"Good try, guys. We almost made a difference. I say we head back home before we lose anyone else, yeah?"

Jinx takes off her helmet once again and speaks to her pilot, "Hey, unless something exciting happens, wake me when we dock."