PDA

View Full Version : Player Help charm help

Chugger
2018-02-01, 07:07 PM
Have some questions about charm - resistance to it - disad to ST and which spells count as charm spells.

I assume any spell with the word "charm" or "charms" in the description is a charm spell. Like crown o madness.

But what about Suggestions - if you're charm resistant, iirc, it doesn't work on you. If a person is resistant to charms are they also resistant to suggestion i.e. is suggestion a subset of Charm?

Staff of Charming lets you resist, it seems, all enchantment spells (or does it?). Hold Person iirc is an enchantment spell - but does it count as a charm, too? Probably not - unless JC/SA has chimed in (which I can't find).

I play AL and so am not terribly interested in how you run it at your non AL table - though your opinion may help others (so please feel free). Am mostly interested in how a typical AL DM might rule on it.

Millstone85
2018-02-01, 08:01 PM
The suggestion spell doesn't impose the charmed condition, but also doesn't work on creatures that are immune to it.

It does raise the question of whether or not suggestion is a charm spell.

Yet it doesn't matter because, as Crawford pointed out...

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/908076040077008896)
"Charm spell" has no meaning in the rules. A spell refers to the charmed condition if that condition is relevant.

... nothing in this edition ever refers to a charm spell, only to the charmed condition.