PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Alternate effects for indefinite madness

Estoma
2018-02-01, 08:03 PM
Hi all!

I was looking over the effects of indefinite madness and was a bit disappointed. They all create a new character flaw, rather than an effect.

Sure, some things like: “I can’t take anything seriously. The more serious the situation, the funnier I find it” are amusing, but it's really up to the player to role play that, and some of my party aren't very strict with their role playing. They don't take their bonds and flaws very seriously, and that's okay, though personally I think those make the characters more fun, like my vegetarian druid.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for indefinite madness that gives a concrete effect to that character, and the mechanics for that? For example, they hallucinate and occasionally attack a hallucination in a fight.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-01, 08:12 PM
You know, if a player fails to roleplay an insane PC correctly, you can tell him/her to shape up the act and threaten to take command of the character. It is completely within your rights as a DM to do so, given that becoming a vampire or werewolf can have the same result.

Estoma
2018-02-01, 08:34 PM
You know, if a player fails to roleplay an insane PC correctly, you can tell him/her to shape up the act and threaten to take command of the character. It is completely within your rights as a DM to do so, given that becoming a vampire or werewolf can have the same result.

Oh yes, I would impose something like that if I was the DM!

ShadowSandbag
2018-02-01, 09:10 PM
The call of Cthulhu 7th edition handbook has a lot of interesting ideas for insanity since that's what the system is based around, and you could probably transplant some of these.

1) Amnesia: The investigator has no memory of events that have taken place since they were last in a place of safety. For example, it seems to them that one moment they were eating breakfast and the next they are facing a monster. This lasts for 1D10 rounds.
2) Psychosomatic disability: The investigator suffers psychosomatic blindness, deafness, or loss of the use of a limb or limbs for 1D10 rounds.
3) Violence: A red mist descends on the investigator and they
explode in a spree of uncontrolled violence and destruction directed at their surroundings, allies or foes alike for 1D10 rounds.
4) Paranoia: The investigator suffers severe paranoia for 1D10 rounds; everyone is out to get them; no one can be trusted; they are being spied on; someone has betrayed them; what they are seeing is a trick.
5) Significant Person: Review the investigator’s backstory entry
for Significant People. The investigator mistakes another person in
the scene for their Significant Person. Consider the nature of the
relationship; the investigator acts upon it. This lasts 1D10 rounds.
6) Faint: The investigator faints. They recover after 1D10 rounds.
7) Flee in panic: The investigator is compelled to get as far away as possible by whatever means are available, even if it means taking the only vehicle and leaving everyone else behind. They travel for 1D10 rounds.
8) Physical hysterics or emotional outburst: The investigator is
incapacitated from laughing, crying, screaming, etc. for 1D10 rounds.
9) Phobia: Investigator gains a new phobia. Roll 1D100 on Table IX: Sample Phobias, or the Keeper may choose one. Even if the source of the phobia is not present, the investigator imagines it is there for the next 1D10 rounds.
10) Mania: The investigator gains a new mania. Roll 1D100 on Table X: Sample Manias, or the Keeper may choose one. The investigator seeks to indulge in their new mania for the next 1D10 rounds.

Estoma
2018-02-01, 09:13 PM
The call of Cthulhu 7th edition handbook has a lot of interesting ideas for insanity since that's what the system is based around, and you could probably transplant some of these.

There's some interesting ones there. I like ones that actually impose a disadvantage cause it can be pretty easy to conveniently 'forget' your player has a flaw or a bond when the situation arises.

Quoxis
2018-02-02, 04:17 AM
I think those make the characters more fun, like my vegetarian druid.

Just as a precaution:
YOU think so, but before altering a game (e.g. talking the GM into changing the rules) make sure you’re not alone with that thought. Talk to your group, show them what you think the game should be like, but accept it if you’re outnumbered.

Shulk
2018-02-07, 12:19 PM
Would developing mental conditions be too insensitive and or unbelievable, like something similar to extreme schizophrenia? or maybe you could screw with the player a bit, maybe lie about rolls sometimes, or lie about damage, Go full eternal darkness on their ass.