PDA

View Full Version : Things that go bump in the night

Beardyface
2018-02-01, 10:08 PM
Has anyone ever used a Bogeyman to good effect? I'm pitting my players against one in my game and was wondering if any other dms have had fun with them terrorizing their players?
There's 6 of them, and they're level 12 with two ranks of Mythic. It'll be an Advanced Nightmare Lord Implacable Stalker Bogeyman, and I might tack on some Mythic goodies. It'll need a little modification since there are a few overlapping abilities, but it could be a terrifying and fun encounter.
Thoughts or advice?

Geddy2112
2018-02-02, 12:06 AM
Never used or really seen a Boogeyman played at a table on either side. I did have a wendigo show up as a bbeg aligned monster in a campaign I ran. Having my players see nightmares for sessions on end set up a really awesome finale. Thanks key was that it was happening for several sessions, but was not predictable. It could hit two one night, none the next, then hibernate a week. Good horror comes on slow and builds until the players won't move without taking 20 on spot for any square they move into and refuse to sleep

Beardyface
2018-02-02, 12:34 AM
They've known this thing has been around, it's been stalking one of the pcs for many many sessions, and I love creeping her out by leaving little stick figure drawings. And the encounter will involve children in peril, and most likely dying. I'm interested in seeing how they handle this.

Pelle
2018-02-02, 10:23 AM
I ran a fun boogeyman encounter (used modified Bodak stats), where the boogeyman tried to kidnap one of the goblin PCs, grappling to put him into a bag and get away. The goblin was sitting watch in the night, and the boogeyman thought it was a naughty kid, staying up late...

tiercel
2018-02-03, 04:30 AM
And the encounter will involve children in peril, and most likely dying. I'm interested in seeing how they handle this.

A general note on horror: you want to have some measure of what is effective, and what is “over the line,” for your various players. For some people, children in peril/pain/death may cause a sufficient level of discomfort to the player that it makes the game squicky/unfun.

I’m not saying don’t go with horror or even that your plan is a bad one, and there’s nothing wrong with seeing how your PCs handle this, but if you’re not sure how your players would handle this, then proceed with care or even outright check/ask, out of character, that’s all.