PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Reincarnate questions?

sflame56
2018-02-02, 12:23 AM
So its says you retain your original capabilities and how only your race change and racial traits but does this effect your starting stats. Like say you had, for simplicity sake, 10 in everything and were a half orc so your str would be 12 and con would be 11. Then you are reincarnated to a tiefling. Would you keep a 12 in str and 11 in con or would they be back to 10 and you instead have a 11 int and 12 cha now? Would you instead have 12 in str and 11 in con and also have 11 int and 12 cha? Just super confused on this spell. I do want to learn how it fully works since wild mage sorcs can proc this spell on death if they get the right wild surge and get nuked hard.

Madfellow
2018-02-02, 07:33 AM
I believe your scores would change to reflect your new race, yes.

Alderic78
2018-02-02, 08:29 AM
Remove the old race traits, which includes ability score modifiers, then add those of the new race, so 11 int 12 cha and the rest at 10.

Classes and backgrounds would be unaffected. Not sure how yo're supposed to retain your capabilities if the old race gave you proficiency in some skill or weapon and the new one does not, but I like it simple.

Tboy1492
2018-02-02, 10:47 AM
In our group you would re-roll physical stats as I recall, to reflect your new body. everything else remains mostly the same,

Tboy1492
2018-02-02, 10:50 AM
Remove the old race traits, which includes ability score modifiers, then add those of the new race, so 11 int 12 cha and the rest at 10.

Classes and backgrounds would be unaffected. Not sure how yo're supposed to retain your capabilities if the old race gave you proficiency in some skill or weapon and the new one does not, but I like it simple.

Most racial proficiency is based on a culture of upbringing. Or at least that’s how it makes sense to me, so your new race would not cause a change on that note.

Unoriginal
2018-02-02, 11:16 AM
Logically, an Elf reincarnated into a Bugbear would keep their Weapon Training, but lose the Perception proficiency granted by the Keen Sense feature. After all, the Elf didn't *train* for it.

Atalas
2018-02-02, 12:15 PM
I am now wondering how Reincarnate would affect a Bladesinger or a Battlerager, as those archetypes are race-restricted

nickl_2000
2018-02-02, 12:16 PM
I am now wondering how Reincarnate would affect a Bladesinger or a Battlerager, as those archetypes are race-restricted

JC says he would allow it. I would rule the same thing frankly.

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/764145587117633536

holywhippet
2018-02-03, 04:09 AM
JC says he would allow it. I would rule the same thing frankly.

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/764145587117633536

Agreed. It isn't so much that there is anything about those archetypes which are race restricted exactly, it is more that you need to be a member of those races to get access to the training. I suppose the question is, what if your character died before they got to pick their archetype and were then reincarnated? In theory they will have been training towards it so they should still be able to take it.

The odd thing about reincarnate is it only includes the core races. What if you took a race from Volo's?

hymer
2018-02-03, 04:42 AM
The interesting question to me is: What happens when, say, a str 20 hill dwarf reincarnates as a race with +2 str?

Monavic
2018-02-03, 06:22 AM
The interesting question to me is: What happens when, say, a str 20 hill dwarf reincarnates as a race with +2 str?
I think by raw they would just lose the +2 str. I would just allow the player to add 2 points to other stats as if they had never assigned them to str in the first place.

nickl_2000
2018-02-03, 06:28 AM
Agreed. It isn't so much that there is anything about those archetypes which are race restricted exactly, it is more that you need to be a member of those races to get access to the training. I suppose the question is, what if your character died before they got to pick their archetype and were then reincarnated? In theory they will have been training towards it so they should still be able to take it.

The odd thing about reincarnate is it only includes the core races. What if you took a race from Volo's?

That's why it has a rider in there that says it can be any race the DM chooses though. Personally, I would just use this table

http://www.nerdimmersion.com/reincarnationtable/

Alderic78
2018-02-03, 07:17 AM
Most racial proficiency is based on a culture of upbringing. Or at least that’s how it makes sense to me, so your new race would not cause a change on that note.

As written, that's what it does, you lose skills and proficiencies if they came from your original race, and your new one doesn't have them.
If you start thinking about skills, weapon proficiencies, where do you draw the line ? How about the human variant feat ? the halfling lucky trait ? racials spells ? How much of an half-orc ferocity (endurance and savage attacks) is based on their body and how much on their mind and training ?
Keep it simple, scrap the old block and take the new one, try to take the same skills if possible, and work something out for why your old elf reincarnated as a dwarf now likes hammers and axes