PDA

View Full Version : Close Combat Spell Caster options?

imaginary
2018-02-02, 01:16 AM
Hi all,

I really enjoy magic and playing full spell casters. I also enjoy being in the thick of combat instead of hiding around the edges, as many casters do. Now with Xanathar's out, I am looking for some ideas on class combinations or builds that might allow a combination of the above play styles – a spell focused character who likes to get in close? What I'm not looking for is a gish or a melee combatant that uses some kind of melee weapon.

For example, I was thinking about a wizard (maybe an Abjurer) with a dip into fighter for heavy armor and shield. Perhaps a feat in Heavy Armor Master or Combat Caster. But I'm open to any suggestions? What spells are particularly useful when you're in close? What advantages, if any, might a caster get when in close? What are builds or tactics to help make a caster more survivable in close?

I'm currently trying to figure out a build using point buy to play up to about level 12.

Many thanks for the help and ideas.

~imaginary

LeonBH
2018-02-02, 01:35 AM
Take Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Mirror Image, and Blink. That's one way of surviving in melee.

You don't really get any advantages if you don't want to gish. You could focus on touch spells like Inflict Wounds or Shocking Grasp, but most of your spells can be cast from range, so staying away from battle is a good thing.

Quoz
2018-02-02, 05:17 AM
Casters with the right focus can make terrifying grapplers. Bards in particular get expertise, enhance ability, and inspiration which can all stack on your athletics checks. Then once you have established control you can either create a zone to drag through (spike growth being a favorite), reposition them for optimal AOE bursts, or enhance mobility with spells like jump and longstrider and put any professional wrestler to shame with high altitude powebombs.

At higher levels many transformation spells like polymorph and shapechange can make you a terror in close combat. Just make sure you have an untouchable Con save as a blown concentration leads to a dead caster very quickly.

Vogie
2018-02-02, 05:09 PM
A GOO Tome Lock could do this in a campaign where the enemies are largely humanoid. Grab a bunch of Touch & defense spells, use Repelling blast, then abuse the heck out of Create Thrall. They can be incapacitated by a teammate, or your own use of Tasha's Hideous Laughter to incapacitate the target.

Maybe a Sorcadin who is based on frightening and blasting (probably Oathbreaker)

strangebloke
2018-02-02, 05:24 PM
Distance metamagic, thunderclap, and storm sorc.

Run in, thunderclap with *2 range, deal half your level in damage additionally, float out ten feet, run away, repeat.

At level 11 that's 3d6+5 with a save for half to everyone within 10 feet.

Pretty good AOE for 1 sorcery point!

Play a vhuman with mobile so your skirmishing is better, and multiclass to tempest cleric for a level. Nets you heavy armor, a shield, 40 foot movement and lightning damage as a reaction if someone gets close.

bc56
2018-02-02, 06:11 PM
A GOO Tome Lock could do this in a campaign where the enemies are largely humanoid. Grab a bunch of Touch & defense spells, use Repelling blast, then abuse the heck out of Create Thrall. They can be incapacitated by a teammate, or your own use of Tasha's Hideous Laughter to incapacitate the target.

Maybe a Sorcadin who is based on frightening and blasting (probably Oathbreaker)

Yeah, a tomelock would be good because you can grab Thorn Whip, a melee cantrip with a 30ft range.

As a wizard, be an enchanted and focus buff spells on yourself. Might be one of the few ways Tenser's Transformation would be useful.

Derpldorf
2018-02-02, 07:37 PM
A close combat spellcaster that isn't a gish? Bladesinger. I know they try to portray it as gishy, but if you actually read the entry you'll realize that its actually a really defensive and tanky full spellcaster that just happens to not be completely useless in a melee fight.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 06:11 AM
I really enjoy magic and playing full spell casters. I also enjoy being in the thick of combat instead of hiding around the edges, as many casters do. Now with Xanathar's out, I am looking for some ideas on class combinations or builds that might allow a combination of the above play styles – a spell focused character who likes to get in close? What I'm not looking for is a gish or a melee combatant that uses some kind of melee weapon.

For example, I was thinking about a wizard (maybe an Abjurer) with a dip into fighter for heavy armor and shield. Perhaps a feat in Heavy Armor Master or Combat Caster. But I'm open to any suggestions? What spells are particularly useful when you're in close? What advantages, if any, might a caster get when in close? What are builds or tactics to help make a caster more survivable in close?

To be honest, I'm struggling to understand the concept. You say that you don't want to use a melee weapon. So it seems like you're wading into melee... only to not actually do anything there.

I guess you could cast Shocking Grasp, though that's generally a spell mages use to escape melee. :smalltongue:

What about using Shadow Blade (yes, it's a melee weapon, but one made by a spell that inflicts psychic damage)? If not, the I really can't think of anything you could realistically build around. Certainly nothing that gains any advantage from you being in melee.

Kane0
2018-02-03, 06:21 AM
I forsee many thunderwaves in your future

ZorroGames
2018-02-03, 07:15 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to figure out a build using point buy to play up to about level 12.

~imaginary

I am confused.

Are you talking touch spells as melee?. Short range (30’ or less) attavks in melee? In and out movement casting?

I hwve been playing D&D since the 1970s and unarmored full casters can be dscrribed in one word. Dead. Quickly dead for two words.

Now a dip in fighter is potentially alleviating in the “No Old, Bold Pilots” way as is heavy armor Cleric. Still, lke a ranged fighter, a caster can contribute in melee but it is a potential broken class cannon play style.

Snivlem
2018-02-03, 07:29 AM
So you want to play a caster that uses short range and touch spells?
The best spell by far of this sort is spiritual guardians, so the obvious choice is cleric. Arcana domian will give you the close range cantrips you want.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 07:43 AM
I suppose you could play a Warlock with Armour of Agathys and Shadow of Moil, and just dare enemies to hit you. :smallwink:

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-03, 07:52 AM
Who mentioned Cleric? Them guys get full plate if I recall. Not exactly the Wizard spell list but they do pretty good.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 08:34 AM
Who mentioned Cleric? Them guys get full plate if I recall. Not exactly the Wizard spell list but they do pretty good.

But even then, when a Cleric enters combat it's generally so that they can smack someone with a weapon.

Do they even have a melee cantrip?

Snivlem
2018-02-03, 09:01 AM
But even then, when a Cleric enters combat it's generally so that they can smack someone with a weapon.

No, but arcana domian can solve this.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 09:08 AM
No, but arcana domian can solve this.

I guess, but Arcana clerics don't gain proficiency with Heavy Armour. Or really anything that would make me want to wade into melee just to prod my enemies with Shocking Grasp. :smalltongue:

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-03, 09:13 AM
Um.....isn’t this exactly what the war mage is for?

Pick up Vampiric touch, Enervation, and other awesome touch and close range spells. Have your familiar cast vamp touch so he holds the concentration and you use enervation. Save your bonus action and reaction for simpler spells like thunderstep, misty step that let you move and shield and blink/mirror image (forgot which one is concentration ) and if you see a large group use some aoe/ absorb elements.

Shadowblade can be your weapon if you want to use one. Ice knife too. Or Use the Investitures of Flame and such to go full avatar on people.

Obviously proper race choice is gonna come into play here. Ideally you want Int maxed and at least 10 Dex so you don’t have negative initiative. For heavy armor I’d suggest going VHuman to grab that feat at the start but you could also just spend an ASI on it. You have a lot of free asi’s to assign since you aren’t gishing it up.

You could also do a sorcerlock. You’re gonna be using a lot of the same spells I imagine and you’re gonna be casting often.
Therefore you want to recharge those slots as fast as possible.

The concern for armor is real, so this is a bit tricky.

I’m thinking Shadow or Divine Soul sorcery or maybe even Storm since shocking grasp is a great spell for this style.

I’m also thinking Chain for a better familiar as well as touch spells for the familiar. Maybe start warlock for armor or maybe Sorcerer for Con proficiency.

So Shadow Sorcerer 9/Celestial Chainlock 3.
- gives you invocations(Devil sight;Gift of Ever loving ones)
- some free bonus action non spell heals
- darkness/devil sight combo
- 5th level spells
- free zombie like revive 1/long rest

Strategy here is to keep familiar close and use touch spells through it to spread out that concentration and also for more damage. It can cast magic stones and fly around flinging rocks or it could cast Dragon’s Breath on you and then hide, now you have dragons breath for an Action, and can do other things if you don’t want that. Use spells like shocking grasp, vamp touch enervation, misty step, shield Armor of Agathys, Shadow of Moil, and thunder step.

Save a slot for catnap which recharges the pact slots and other short rest things. You can maximize the heal on yourself with the Healing Light ability, coupled with other defenses makes you able to stay alive. Put the Hound on anyone who is hiding or the boss to keep track and also for just more damage.

Switching Shadow for Divine Soul works too, picking up some really good cleric spells. If you ever did want a weapon you could Shadowblade then use familiar to cast Holy Weapon. Now you have a weapon of Black Light. I wounded if you through it fast enough you get the advantage from dim light it emits. Like using an Eclipse as a weapon.

Hexblade may seem counter intuitive without the blade pact but it still gives medium armor and shields, as well as the curse which works for spell attacks too.

Fiend gives THP which is also very nice. GOO gives one way telepathy, which might work if you use it to mess with people’s mind mid fight. Depends if your DM is lenient (or fun) enough to give you a minor advantage for screaming not someone’s mind as they try to fight for their life. Whispering in weird tongues also works or trying to convince them you are god. Again all DM dependent but useful in the melee .

Storm is great if the thunder and lightning spells are gonna be your bread and butter, let’s you move and kite a lot better.

Dragon is fine since it’s decent armor, and lots of fire spells of varying ranges to use (or other elements).

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-03, 09:13 AM

Is an attack cantrip mandatory? It would help so I can see your point.

It is a problem easily solved by taking the magic initiate feat if so allowed.

Snivlem
2018-02-03, 09:15 AM
Dr. Yes obviously it (melee cantrips) is not the optimal choice, but it (arcana cleric) seems the best option to enable the concept OP is looking for. If you want heavy armor, pick another domain and choose magic initiate for the cantrips, or just pick heavy armor with a feat for arcana cleric. Spiritual guardians is the main selling point here, and he needs melee cantrips somehow (unless i misunderstand what he is looking for)

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 09:29 AM
Is an attack cantrip mandatory? It would help so I can see your point.

Not normally, but then spellcasters don't normally want to get into melee and not use a weapon.

If a Cleric is walking into melee and using neither a weapon nor a melee cantrip, what exactly do you envision them doing?

Have your familiar cast vamp touch so he holds the concentration

The rules do not permit your familiar to even deliver Vampiric for you, let alone cast it.

and you use enervation.

Even if the above worked (it doesn't), why would you want to be in melee to use Enervation? You're literally squandering its main advantage over Vampiric Touch, and using a 5th level spell slot for the privilege.

Shadowblade can be your weapon if you want to use one. Ice knife too.

Er, Ice Knife isn't a weapon - it's a ranged attack. It also has an AoE effect. If you try to use it against a target in melee, you'll first have disadvantage on the attack role and then catch yourself in your own AoE. :smalltongue:

I’m also thinking Chain for a better familiar as well as touch spells for the familiar.

Chain pact seems a bit odd for this build. Normally, you'd use a familiar so that you don't have to risk entering melee with your target. In this case though, you actually want to get into touch range. Hence, you might as well use those touch spells yourself, if only to justify getting into melee in the first place. :smallwink:

ZorroGames
2018-02-03, 09:30 AM

You are not forced to buy plate.

Some subclasses get heavy armor, others have medium or light usually depending on if dex weapons or WI (spell) based attacks. A WI spell using cleric may never choose to melee. The Devout or Dead guide gets unto that discussion.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-03, 10:20 AM
Snip

Whoops I though Vtouch was a touch spell for a bit. In any case it’s still a nice spell for a close combat mage even if your familiar can use it (if you had find steed you mount could I think, probably why I got confused here)

The goal of the character is to get in melee anyway, if that takes too long enervation is basically a vamp touch with range, drop the conc on it when you finally do get in close, maybe using quickened frostbites to slow the target.

When I talk about Ice knife here, I’m not saying to throw it down in front of you. But if you moved first or had absorb elements ready , or had THP you could use it near a big group or against the guys in melee with you, charging your next melee attack (which can be a spell attack) with cold damage as well as dealing some AOE.

I think the idea here isn’t to make somebody who’s going to walking into enemies and just stand there touching them.

Close combat caster is going to be a mobile skirmisher only with magic instead of a sword. Certainly you can grab armor of agathys, shadow of moil and mirror image and Blink and just say “come at me bro” but I doubt that’s what OP is looking for in style. The Heavy Armor is just an AC value, it can be replicated in different ways.

Tikkun
2018-02-03, 10:31 AM
Nothing wrong with off the wall builds. For close combat, frontline-type casting you might consider the wizlock--2 levels of hexblade warlock for medium armor, shields and a weapon based on CHA and the rest in Abjurer wizard. Invocation to take: Armour of Shadows (at will Mage Armor, at no cost, to refresh your ward) and perhaps, Agonizing Blast (to give more oomph to Eldritch Blast). Naturally Armour of Agathys is a must and will be up-cast with your higher level Wizard slots for more hp and damage. You will be slightly MAD and War-caster and/or Resilient CON may help concentration checks (though the Ward should obviate much of it). Choose spells that remove/hinder opponent mobility and have fun.

Remember, it is a game. The whole point is to have fun. Off the wall builds lead to great RP and makes for more fun. And the reality is it is 5e not 3.5e so every build can be fun if played well. Enjoy!!

Citan
2018-02-03, 04:30 PM
A close combat spellcaster that isn't a gish? Bladesinger. I know they try to portray it as gishy, but if you actually read the entry you'll realize that its actually a really defensive and tanky full spellcaster that just happens to not be completely useless in a melee fight.
Lol. Impressive to see how you undersell Bladesinger as a weapon user without real argument. Let's bar multiclass for a moment. With just one or two feats, depending on your spell choice (basically Mobile, or Warcaster, or both), a dual-wielding Bladesinger can be better in the toughest fights than even a GWM Fighter until at least lvl 11. Even taking into account the fact that Fighter can max stat and still get one or two feats.
Take a first level dip into Fighter? Bladesinger is better in melee than dual-wielding or s&b fighter, and may even trump GWM on sustained damage against high AC enemies.
Of course Mobile is a given, meaning you won't be able to bump your main attack stat like Fighter. But between Shield, Mirror Image and Blur on defense, Hold Person / Blindness and Haste on offense, then the all-in-one Greater Invisibility, you'll always have a better sustained damage as long as the fight lasts more than 3 rounds. Of course, Fighter will take back the lead in every day filled with encounters, because heavy use of slots will only pull you so far... :)

Anyways, weapons are out for OP, so end of the sidetrack.

Hi all,

~imaginary
Hi.

If you are looking for a clad-iron spellcaster, then I have these suggestions:
1. Play a Vampiric-Touch based character (and more generally necrotic).
This means picking whatever combination between Sorcerer (for metamagics and necrotic spells), Warlock (short-rest slots, Vampiric Touch) Necromancer Wizard (2 levels are enough to get the bonus, Vampiric Touch) and Death (twin Chill Touch, ignore resistance) or Grave (make target vulnerable for one instance) Cleric (Vampiric Touch).

For example: Fighter 2 (Action Surge) / Necromancer Wizard 3 (HP on kill, defensive spells) / Grave Cleric 6+: Fighter is here for three things: heavy armor, Constitution proficiency (maintaining Vampiric Touch), and Action Surge to use the Channel Divinity "vulnerability to damage" and your own offensive action/spell in the same turn.

OR: Shadow Sorcerer 13 / Grave Cleric 5 / Necro Wizard 2: this is just an example of how you could end with a powerful character (Twin, Quicken, Empower). Past the first level in Sorcerer you build up Cleric and Wizard to quickly get Vampiric Touch. Then you build back Sorcerer.
First metamagic is Quicken: that way, you can activate the CD and deal damage on the same turn without Action Surge.
Second is Twin: at that level, cantrips start to pack decent punch, so twinning Chill Touch raises the chance of killing one and as such restore some HP.
Third is Empower: a bit late to the party, but still: when you get Finger of Death as your capstone, you'll be glad you can reroll 5 dice. ;)
Bad thing? This is MAD as hell, even if technically you can mitigate some by dumping both DEX and STR.

OR: Necro Wizard 3 (Rope Trick) / Divine Soul Sorcerer 3+ (Heighten or Extend, Empower or Quicken) / Hexblade or Fiend Tome Warlock 11+: idea here is just to use 5th level Vampiric Touch with short rest slots, using Rope Trick when longer rests are not available, and suck the life out of enemies.

2. Play a Lightning-theme caster
This screams for a Tempest Cleric / Storm Sorcerer dual-class.
Heavy armor? Check.
"Melee" spells? Thunderwave, Booming Blade (hey, can still be useful), Shocking Grasp? Check.
"Melee" utility features? Check on both sides (Storm providing small fly is nice).
You also have Spirit Guardians available to avoid people coming too close to you. Main problem is you'd want good WIS (for Spirit Guardians) and good CHA (for everything else).
So then you could pick Divine Soul Sorcerer instead: problem solved.
Then you can just stay at Cleric 2, or still go to 6 for additional Channel Divinity uses.

There are other possibilities but not much more time right now. :)

By the way, about weapon cantrips: I'm sure any reasonable DM would accept that you created some kind of knuckle or spiked ring or "palm weapon" or whatever, so technically you make weapon attacks but it does look like you're just directly infusing magic.

Sigreid
2018-02-04, 12:30 PM
Deep gnome. Start as a fighter for heavy armor. Take the rest of your levels as an abjuration wizard. Get the feat for your racial magic so you can recharge your ward without spending spell slots. Use the melee cantrips.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-04, 12:59 PM
Arcana cleric 8, celestial tome warlock 6, gold dragon sorcerer.

Green Flame blade:
1d8 weapon + 3d8 fire + cha + Cha + Cha + wis.
Quicken for 2 hits.

70 is damage a turn.

Take elemental adept if you want or just up stats.

Play a tiefling, winged with flames of phegltos or whatever it is.

Plus

Medium armor and Shield
7d6 bonus action ranged heals
7th Level spell slots 4th Level cleric spells, 3rd level warlock and sorcerer
Short rest 3rd level slots for sorcerer points or just whatever.
Tome to get Shillelagh, and whatever.

8wGremlin
2018-02-04, 06:01 PM
One simple good build is the Standard Arcana Cleric (SAC), vHuman build (phb+scag)

The arcana cleric takes the spells chill touch and booming blade, both of these are now Cleric Cantrips, and use Wisdom.

Your vHuman feat is Magic initiate: druid, this allows you to pick up thornwhip, shillelagh and either absorb elements, or longstrider - I prefer absorb elements.

You max your wisdom, point by this would be 16, you also get your dex to 14, you can dump strength, int, and cha if you like.
All attacks and riders key off wisdom, melee attack uses a shillelagh, and is a magic weapon doing 1d8 + 3 (wis mod)
and you attack with Booming Blade (a cleric cantrip now, with bonus damage at level 8)

With breastplate + shield + dex you're AC is 18.

At 4th take warcaster, this allows you to cast Booming blade as your OA!
At 8th up wisdom, now all cleric cantrips can add your wis mod to damage! - including Booming blade, Chill touch and Radiant hand
And you take Mobility, so you can move forward, booming blade and then move back.

You are also a full cleric: Spiritual Guardians, spiritual weapon, guidance, bless etc.
You can remove spells on people you cast healing on due to the Arcane domain.

It is very potent!
try it.

JellyPooga
2018-02-04, 06:48 PM
Moon Druid.

Cast your choice of Wall of X to envelop you and your target, Wild Shape, then force your prey to deal with an angry bear/tiger/mammoth solo.

Druid has some nice close-range spellslinging without resorting to weapon attacks, including the neccesary terrain manipulation to stop foes from running away. You can play a really mean game of "come here and sit down" as a Druid...

Kane0
2018-02-04, 11:11 PM
Nobody has suggested evoker? You can place fireballs right at your feet and everything!

imaginary
2018-02-19, 06:31 PM
Thank you all for the many replied. It has taken me a while to respond.

To answer some questions

Yes, clearly a close combat (full) caster is not an optimal build or concept. Who would really want to go into melee or open themselves up to attack if they don’t have to? Still, conceptually I like the idea of a caster who isn’t afraid of close combat, or moreover stays close to it to protect the party or engage directly. And there will also be many circumstances where melee is simply unavoidable. But I also like the idea of a caster to actively seeks out close combat simply to play against the stereotype. There is an excitement, as well as tactical opportunities which I enjoy.

I was thinking of avoiding melee weapons for a few reasons. a) So the character can cast while using a shield (though the War Caster feat solves this). b) And, melee attacks for casters are far less effective due to generally lower physical attributes available benefits, and I’d rather focus feats and class abilities around casting. It seems like a caster character would be far better off casting close range cantrips or other spells than swinging a weapon.

Why in Close

Based on what has been said, I see a few reasons to be in close as a caster.

1) Touch and close range spells
There are a number of effective spells that benefit from being in close:

Inflict Wounds
Vampiric Touch
Burning Hands
Shocking Grasp
Thunderwave

2) Combat medic
You can provide better party healing and support when you can closer (such as with Cure Wounds), rather than out on the fridges of combat. I’m curious what other healing or buff spells require you to be close?

3) Auras
Spells like Spirit Guardians and Warding Wind (in certain instances) make a strong case for plowing into combat. Aura of Vitality is also helpful in close. Are there other aura or radius type spells that would benefit or harm those near by if directly engaged?

AC and HP

Given how important AC and HP are to survivability in close combat, a number of good ideas were mentioned for increasing them. And Wizards have notoriously lower HP.

Armor – Heavy Armor & Shield gives better AC than most dex based options and requires less investment. Medium armor + Dex has a slightly lower investment.
Defensive Spells – Shield, Shield of Faith, ...
Defensive Class Abilities – War Wizard (2 or more levels for the AC and save bonus), Blade Singer, ...
Temporary HP – Abjurer (for the damage reduction), Leadership feat (which requires high Chr), False Life, ...
High Con Stat/Race – Dwarves, Lizardfolk, Dragon Sorcerer (extra +1/lvl to HP), ...
Dissuasion – Hellish Rebuke (Tiefling), Fire Shield, Armor of Agathys, ...
Replenish HP – Vampiric touch, Aura for Vitality...
If I’ve missed any spells or options, please feel free to suggest options.

Feats
There are a number of useful feats out there for close combat casters.

War Caster – Concentration is important for a good number of spells. Being in close means taking more hits. So having advantage and/or prof for Concentration saves is likely important. It also let’s you carry an all important shield and still cast with a weapon or staff in hand.
Heavy Armor Master – This could certainly boost survivability in close, though it becomes less effective over time. The +1 to Str is nice.
Crossbow Expert – Somewhat different use of the feat, but per the rules, it would allow ranged spell attacks in melee.

Race

Variant Human of course provides the extra feat, which this build could use.
Half-Orc or Goliath could grant the Str bonus needed for heavy armor, and Con for extra HP. But it would slow down mental stat progression. Still, it could be fun to play against type.

Multiclass

I also like the idea of dipping into another class. Though personally I think anything more than a level or two really takes away from spell progression and the opportunity cost is too high.

I love warlocks, but for this concept, I don’t really consider them a full caster and they simply don’t have enough spells to rely primarily on magic. Still, they are worth dipping into for some of their other amazing abilities. But the opportunity cost of dipping in 2 or 3 levels into Warlock is high for a caster.

I’d really like two things for being in close. Heavy armor prof and access to the Shield spell. To get these, it usually requires some multi-classing.

Narrowing It Down

Okay, so I’m narrowing down on the following options based on all the great ideas people had. At this point, I am imagining a heavily armored character. Though I do liked the Blade Singer idea and other mobile characters, it doesn’t quite fit with the vibe I’m going for.

Storm Warrior (thanks @Citan for the inspiration)
Tempest Cleric 1 or 2 / Storm Sorcerer 1+

I’m imagining a character focused around the theme of lightening and storms. Perhaps a bit of Storm Giant blood in their background, maybe even re-skin a Goliath to be a Half-Giant.
Heavy armor and shield for AC.
Wrath of the Storm (Cleric 1st) to push melee attacks agains you.
Tempestuous Magic (Sorcerer 1st) for mobility.
Heart of the Storm (5th Sorcerer) to auto-damage those near by.
The Elemental Adept feat to focus on lightening/storm perhaps.

Spirit Guardian Tank
War Mage 2 / Forge Cleric 1+

I’m imagining a tank of a cleric striding into battle with vengeful spirits surrounding him. He stays close to his allies and waits for his enemies to come to him.
Levels in War Mage grant him access to the Shield spell and arcane cantrips like Booming Blade. It also grants him great bonus to AC and save should he need it. His spell levels known is slowed, but his caster progression is still maxed.
Forge Cleric just boosts his AC even higher. He relies on magic for battlefield control and damage output.
The concept is a bit MAD, he needs high Wis 16+, Int 13 and Str 15, which doesn’t leave a lot for Con.
Taking Heavy Armor Master could help with Str and tanking, and War Caster for in close casting.

Combat Medic
Life Cleric 1 / Lore Bard 3+

Being a close combat caster doesn’t always have to be about offense. I tried to figure out what makes a good “Combat Medic”. By definition, someone whose primary job is to protect the party and aid fallen comrades. Someone is brave and capable enough to run into combat to save a life, or stand next to their ally to keep the enemies at bay. Someone who is a survivor, and who puts others before themselves. Who can support and re-energize others between their battles when rest does not avail itself. Who can keep the gods of death at bay, at least long enough to attain the party's objectives.
A Lore Bard can “steal” Goodberry and Aura of Vitality at Bard 6. Aura of Vitality is most helpful when in close combat, or out of combat entirely and is boosted by Disciple of Life. For out of combat healing, Discipline of Life & Goodberry combine to provides 40 HP of healing per 1st level spell.
A Lore Bards, while they don’t have access to a ton of healing spells, can steal good ones at higher levels. What they gain instead is access to a number of other spells which can be used for damage mitigation.
A level in life cleric not only combos with multiple spells and improves overall healing, but grants some more heal spells and access to heavy armor.
Since Chr is the primary stat for Bards, this build would also work great with Inspiring Leader for even more temp HP for the party. War Caster would likely be needed to help with concentration spells. But Shield Master is also tempting for both its defensive and tactical capabilities.
VHuman or Half-elf for the Chr bonus or feat.
Alas, this build doesn’t get access to the Shield spell for AC. And is also a bit MAD.

Armored Wizard
Forge Cleric 1 / Abjuration Wizard 2+

I kinda imagine a fit old man with a white beard striding into battle in heavy armor, a metal plated spell book, and arcane spells etched on the inside of his large shield.
The primary advantage of this spells is full access and progression for wizard spells, with a few defensive cleric spells to boot. Though with a slight delay in spell level progression. Spells like Booming Blade, Vampiric Touch, Burning Hands, Shocking Grasp, Thunderwave, and even Inflict Wounds are effective in close combat.
Lots of AC. Access to the Shield spell, and can use heavy armor, a shield, and a bonus from Forge Cleric as well.
Alas, this build is also a bit MAD, Int 16+, Wis 13 and Str 15, plus whatever is left in Con.
Overall HP for this build is quite low. Temporary HP or damage reduction become crucial. The Tough feat would be helpful. The Heavy Armor Master feat might also give a bit of a needed boost, at least for low to mid level games.
As an Abjuration Wizard, Arcane Ward and Armor of Agathys help with HP.
Gnome might be good race, not only for the intelligence, but the Svirfneblin Magic feat would allow additional spells AND the ability to recharge your Arcane Ward using the Non-detection spell. (Thanks @Sigreid)

Anyway, what do you guys thing of any of the above builds or do you have any better ideas for a heavily armored close-combat caster?

Galactkaktus
2018-02-20, 08:24 AM
The problem is that you want to fulfill the str requirement for heavy armor without using the str for anything else. Whouldn't hill dwarf be a better choice for you in that case? Since dwarves doesn't need to fullfill the str requirment for armors without getting a movement penalty you still get 5 less movement for being small. I think this whould solve alot of your MAD problems.

Citan
2018-02-20, 11:00 AM
Thank you all for the many replied. It has taken me a while to respond.

To answer some questions

Yes, clearly a close combat (full) caster is not an optimal build or concept. Who would really want to go into melee or open themselves up to attack if they don’t have to? Still, conceptually I like the idea of a caster who isn’t afraid of close combat, or moreover stays close to it to protect the party or engage directly. And there will also be many circumstances where melee is simply unavoidable. But I also like the idea of a caster to actively seeks out close combat simply to play against the stereotype. There is an excitement, as well as tactical opportunities which I enjoy.

I was thinking of avoiding melee weapons for a few reasons. a) So the character can cast while using a shield (though the War Caster feat solves this). b) And, melee attacks for casters are far less effective due to generally lower physical attributes available benefits, and I’d rather focus feats and class abilities around casting. It seems like a caster character would be far better off casting close range cantrips or other spells than swinging a weapon.

Why in Close

Based on what has been said, I see a few reasons to be in close as a caster.

1) Touch and close range spells
There are a number of effective spells that benefit from being in close:

Inflict Wounds
Vampiric Touch
Burning Hands
Shocking Grasp
Thunderwave

2) Combat medic
You can provide better party healing and support when you can closer (such as with Cure Wounds), rather than out on the fridges of combat. I’m curious what other healing or buff spells require you to be close?

3) Auras
Spells like Spirit Guardians and Warding Wind (in certain instances) make a strong case for plowing into combat. Aura of Vitality is also helpful in close. Are there other aura or radius type spells that would benefit or harm those near by if directly engaged?

AC and HP

Given how important AC and HP are to survivability in close combat, a number of good ideas were mentioned for increasing them. And Wizards have notoriously lower HP.

Armor – Heavy Armor & Shield gives better AC than most dex based options and requires less investment. Medium armor + Dex has a slightly lower investment.
Defensive Spells – Shield, Shield of Faith, ...
Defensive Class Abilities – War Wizard (2 or more levels for the AC and save bonus), Blade Singer, ...
Temporary HP – Abjurer (for the damage reduction), Leadership feat (which requires high Chr), False Life, ...
High Con Stat/Race – Dwarves, Lizardfolk, Dragon Sorcerer (extra +1/lvl to HP), ...
Dissuasion – Hellish Rebuke (Tiefling), Fire Shield, Armor of Agathys, ...
Replenish HP – Vampiric touch, Aura for Vitality...
If I’ve missed any spells or options, please feel free to suggest options.

Feats
There are a number of useful feats out there for close combat casters.

War Caster – Concentration is important for a good number of spells. Being in close means taking more hits. So having advantage and/or prof for Concentration saves is likely important. It also let’s you carry an all important shield and still cast with a weapon or staff in hand.
Heavy Armor Master – This could certainly boost survivability in close, though it becomes less effective over time. The +1 to Str is nice.
Crossbow Expert – Somewhat different use of the feat, but per the rules, it would allow ranged spell attacks in melee.

Race

Variant Human of course provides the extra feat, which this build could use.
Half-Orc or Goliath could grant the Str bonus needed for heavy armor, and Con for extra HP. But it would slow down mental stat progression. Still, it could be fun to play against type.

Multiclass

I also like the idea of dipping into another class. Though personally I think anything more than a level or two really takes away from spell progression and the opportunity cost is too high.

I love warlocks, but for this concept, I don’t really consider them a full caster and they simply don’t have enough spells to rely primarily on magic. Still, they are worth dipping into for some of their other amazing abilities. But the opportunity cost of dipping in 2 or 3 levels into Warlock is high for a caster.

I’d really like two things for being in close. Heavy armor prof and access to the Shield spell. To get these, it usually requires some multi-classing.

Narrowing It Down

Okay, so I’m narrowing down on the following options based on all the great ideas people had. At this point, I am imagining a heavily armored character. Though I do liked the Blade Singer idea and other mobile characters, it doesn’t quite fit with the vibe I’m going for.

Storm Warrior (thanks @Citan for the inspiration)
Tempest Cleric 1 or 2 / Storm Sorcerer 1+

I’m imagining a character focused around the theme of lightening and storms. Perhaps a bit of Storm Giant blood in their background, maybe even re-skin a Goliath to be a Half-Giant.
Heavy armor and shield for AC.
Wrath of the Storm (Cleric 1st) to push melee attacks agains you.
Tempestuous Magic (Sorcerer 1st) for mobility.
Heart of the Storm (5th Sorcerer) to auto-damage those near by.
The Elemental Adept feat to focus on lightening/storm perhaps.

Spirit Guardian Tank
War Mage 2 / Forge Cleric 1+

I’m imagining a tank of a cleric striding into battle with vengeful spirits surrounding him. He stays close to his allies and waits for his enemies to come to him.
Levels in War Mage grant him access to the Shield spell and arcane cantrips like Booming Blade. It also grants him great bonus to AC and save should he need it. His spell levels known is slowed, but his caster progression is still maxed.
Forge Cleric just boosts his AC even higher. He relies on magic for battlefield control and damage output.
The concept is a bit MAD, he needs high Wis 16+, Int 13 and Str 15, which doesn’t leave a lot for Con.
Taking Heavy Armor Master could help with Str and tanking, and War Caster for in close casting.

Combat Medic
Life Cleric 1 / Lore Bard 3+

Being a close combat caster doesn’t always have to be about offense. I tried to figure out what makes a good “Combat Medic”. By definition, someone whose primary job is to protect the party and aid fallen comrades. Someone is brave and capable enough to run into combat to save a life, or stand next to their ally to keep the enemies at bay. Someone who is a survivor, and who puts others before themselves. Who can support and re-energize others between their battles when rest does not avail itself. Who can keep the gods of death at bay, at least long enough to attain the party's objectives.
A Lore Bard can “steal” Goodberry and Aura of Vitality at Bard 6. Aura of Vitality is most helpful when in close combat, or out of combat entirely and is boosted by Disciple of Life. For out of combat healing, Discipline of Life & Goodberry combine to provides 40 HP of healing per 1st level spell.
A Lore Bards, while they don’t have access to a ton of healing spells, can steal good ones at higher levels. What they gain instead is access to a number of other spells which can be used for damage mitigation.
A level in life cleric not only combos with multiple spells and improves overall healing, but grants some more heal spells and access to heavy armor.
Since Chr is the primary stat for Bards, this build would also work great with Inspiring Leader for even more temp HP for the party. War Caster would likely be needed to help with concentration spells. But Shield Master is also tempting for both its defensive and tactical capabilities.
VHuman or Half-elf for the Chr bonus or feat.
Alas, this build doesn’t get access to the Shield spell for AC. And is also a bit MAD.

Armored Wizard
Forge Cleric 1 / Abjuration Wizard 2+

I kinda imagine a fit old man with a white beard striding into battle in heavy armor, a metal plated spell book, and arcane spells etched on the inside of his large shield.
The primary advantage of this spells is full access and progression for wizard spells, with a few defensive cleric spells to boot. Though with a slight delay in spell level progression. Spells like Booming Blade, Vampiric Touch, Burning Hands, Shocking Grasp, Thunderwave, and even Inflict Wounds are effective in close combat.
Lots of AC. Access to the Shield spell, and can use heavy armor, a shield, and a bonus from Forge Cleric as well.
Alas, this build is also a bit MAD, Int 16+, Wis 13 and Str 15, plus whatever is left in Con.
Overall HP for this build is quite low. Temporary HP or damage reduction become crucial. The Tough feat would be helpful. The Heavy Armor Master feat might also give a bit of a needed boost, at least for low to mid level games.
As an Abjuration Wizard, Arcane Ward and Armor of Agathys help with HP.
Gnome might be good race, not only for the intelligence, but the Svirfneblin Magic feat would allow additional spells AND the ability to recharge your Arcane Ward using the Non-detection spell. (Thanks @Sigreid)

Anyway, what do you guys thing of any of the above builds or do you have any better ideas for a heavily armored close-combat caster?
Hi again ;=)

Those are all nice ideas, a few counter-suggestions though.

Storm Warrior
I'd definitely pick 2 levels of Cleric at least, but the second much later.
Sorc 1 (Constitution) > Cleric 1 (armor) > Sorc 5+ > Cleric 2 when you feel you need the extra damage boost on your AOE.

"Spirit Guardian Tank"
I wonder how beneficial it is for you to get into Wizard "just" to improve your AC and get cantrips honestly. Two reasons for that.
a) If you get too high an AC, people won't try to hit you. But, isn't that the point of the whole build? You will only always get one attack, two if you dual-wield. So few chances to get people prone. If you are too hard to hit, enemies will just move away from your AOE because they will consider that chances to break your concentration or down you are too low.
b) War Magic ability uses your reaction: a reaction you could instead better spend on Command (Warcaster feat)), or 0-speed opportunity attack (Sentinel feat), which imo fits your idea much better, by giving you a decent chance of stopping at least one enemy right in its tracks.
I'd honestly rather...
- Either multiclass into Eldricht Knight 5-6: sure, you eat much into caster class so you won't ever be a full caster and your spell progression will hit a wall for quite some time, but you get Action Surge (two spells in a row), Constitution proficiency (better maintaining Spirit Guardians), Fighting Style (extra AC or damage), Extra Attack (more prone), cantrips and shield, extra feat.
- Or instead mix Forge Cleric 2+ with Divine Sorcerer (so all your important spells are based off CHA, but you still get the main benefits of Forge Cleric unless you wanted lvl 6-8 features).
- Or just pick a single level in Sorcerer or Wizard: still Shield spell and a few other, cantrips, but minimum delay in Cleric progression.

Combat Medic
1. Aura of Vitality is imo trumped by Healing Spirit.
2. Ask your DM if he'd agree to let you swap Magic Secrets learned at higher levels. If so pick Shield at level 6 then swap it later. Otherwise, honestly, a single dip into Sorcerer would bring a lot to you: Shield, 4 more cantrips, and another good spell to round up.
But would Shield really be that necessary? With already a 20 AC (heavy and shield), Bardic Inspiration and Expertise, I'd say you should be fine unless you really keep close to the heat.
I mean, I would take the additional dip myself, but it's because I'm content with playing with the same spell level for a very long time. If you want to get as high as possible, just don't: grit your teeth and just survive. ;)
(Inspiring Leader would obviously help much too).

Armored Wizard
Honestly? If you want to reduce MADness, just drop the whole "heavy armor" idea. Really, with Abjuration Wizard, you don't care.
I also don't understand why Forge Cleric, except for the +1 AC.
Go DEX 14 and either pick whatever Cleric domain gives the 1st level features you like the most, or go...
- Tempest 2: Wizard, CHain Lightning, etc...
- Knowledge 2: now you can cover team skills-wise.
- Light: CD is often overlooked, but it dispels magical darkness of any level!
Anyways, with Forge 1 / Wizard and medium armor, you can still get 20 AC with its feature. Largely enough imo.

Sigreid
2018-02-20, 01:16 PM
I would guess forge cleric is to protect spell progression, get +1 to AC and a pretty nifty channel divinity.

imaginary
2018-02-21, 11:23 PM
The problem is that you want to fulfill the str requirement for heavy armor without using the str for anything else. Whouldn't hill dwarf be a better choice for you in that case? Since dwarves doesn't need to fullfill the str requirment for armors without getting a movement penalty you still get 5 less movement for being small. I think this whould solve alot of your MAD problems.

Great idea on the dwarf. I totally miss read the rules, so it hadn’t even heard to me.