PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me because I cant make this guys character

Pikashell
2018-02-02, 01:29 AM
Ok so Im getting really annoyed with this guy. I talked about him in another post. He wanted to play a human monk way of the 4 elements. I cant stand him anymore. Now he wants to play as a dragonborn monk way of the open hand, who has a catana, a staff and an ultimate move that activates when he is near death. He is telling me all these epic scenarios how in the final battle he dies but becomes something like a force ghost. I feel like his character is edgy, overpowered. Something like a shounen protagonist. Please give me some advice because I think its getting out of control.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-02, 01:54 AM
This doesn't sound like a character problem to me. This sounds like a player problem.

If this player wants to have a specific role during the end battle of a campaign that hasn't happened yet, I'd gently explain to them that success and failure of the party's quest lies in what decisions they make, and that nobly sacrificing themselves is certainly something that can happen if it ends up being necessary.

If this player wants to have a coolawesomez Dragon Katana-Monk, let them (if the campaign hasn't started yet, at least). Make it clear that future respecs and character changes are not guaranteed. Don't promise special bonus houserule powers. Instead, you can say you'll consider giving additional benefits based on party balance, and how well the player roleplays.

If this player just wants to be the center of attention, and wants everyone else to orbit them, say goodbye, and let them find another gaming group to terrorize.

Malifice
2018-02-02, 02:29 AM
Ok so Im getting really annoyed with this guy. I talked about him in another post. He wanted to play a human monk way of the 4 elements. I cant stand him anymore. Now he wants to play as a dragonborn monk way of the open hand, who has a catana, a staff and an ultimate move that activates when he is near death. He is telling me all these epic scenarios how in the final battle he dies but becomes something like a force ghost. I feel like his character is edgy, overpowered. Something like a shounen protagonist. Please give me some advice because I think its getting out of control.

Hand him the PHB, open it to Monk, give him 27 points to create a character, and let him figure it out.

Why are you creating this dudes PC? Rules are in the book, just have him make one.

If he wants to go a Dragonborn Open Hand monk with a katana and a staff thats fine (Katana = refluffed shortsword, and Staff = Staff).

Personally I allow all 'monk weapons' to be 1d6, [versatile 1d8] weapons so the spear and staff arent optimal. Pick a damage type (S, B and P), name your weapon, and off you go.

Contrast
2018-02-02, 06:11 AM

What about him is overpowered and what is getting out of control?

He wants a ultimate move that activates when near death? He could try the Way of the Long Death subclass from Sword Coast Adventurers Guide - they can spend ki points to stop themselves from dying. Otherwise his ultimate move will probably have to involve him purposefully hoarding ki points to use in that situation.

As others have said, maybe worth reminding him he's playing in a communal game not writing a book.

BobZan
2018-02-02, 06:25 AM
He could go Half Orc for near death coolness.

Half-orc Katana Monk.

Handle him the PHB and ask him to follow the rules.

I hate the "I want to be extra awesome" players and homebrews.

Throne12
2018-02-02, 10:04 AM
Just tell him look we are playing D&D if you can make the character great make it and play it. But if it's not in the RULES then you can't play it. We are playing a game with a set of rules. While playing this game we will use It's rules. You are more then welcome to play but you must follow the RULES. Otherwise your welcome to leave.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-02, 12:29 PM
Hand him the PHB, open it to Monk, give him 27 points to create a character, and let him figure it out.

Why are you creating this dudes PC? Rules are in the book, just have him make one.

This. Big time.

jollydm
2018-02-02, 02:23 PM
This. Big time.

I was about to say I couldn't imagine the look on my DM's face if I asked him to make my character, but now that I think about it it might bring him a certain amount of delight being given free reign to come up with some real evil ****.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-02, 02:51 PM
I was about to say I couldn't imagine the look on my DM's face if I asked him to make my character, but now that I think about it it might bring him a certain amount of delight being given free reign to come up with some real evil ****.

I've made characters for players who don't know the system, but I don't give into their demands to have an overpowered, rules illegal character. At that point I would stop spending my time on it and hand them the books.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-02, 03:04 PM
I've made characters for players who don't know the system, but I don't give into their demands to have an overpowered, rules illegal character. At that point I would stop spending my time on it and hand them the books.

THIS

I have no reluctance whatsoever in helping a new player navigate character creation, figuring out how to best represent (in game mechanics) the fluff/concept they have in mind. A new player especially should not be given classes which are too customized/houseruled. If nothing else, it doesn't teach them how to actually play the game.

ErHo
2018-02-02, 05:53 PM
Maybe consider telling him this is a western fantasy, so if you want a monk, it will be friar tuck with no Katanas.

Yeah, Kung Fu panda killed all Monk martial art coolness for me

Theodoxus
2018-02-02, 06:00 PM
I hate the "I want to be extra awesome" players and homebrews.

Right next to the "I'm so edgy, you don't know my name or my motivation, but you're a PC so you're stuck supporting me in my emo-punk mashup."

Unoriginal
2018-02-02, 07:02 PM
Maybe consider telling him this is a western fantasy, so if you want a monk, it will be friar tuck with no Katanas.

Why? Kung Fu Panda is awesome.

Razade
2018-02-02, 07:11 PM

:smallconfused:

Why Kung Fu Panda and why not the millions of Wuxia films out on the market that Kug Fu Panda was pulling from?

War_lord
2018-02-02, 07:13 PM
Everyone's bagging on the player in question.

People may want to consider that someone with no experience of D&D, who probably lacks even a cursory knowledge of the rules, and may not have even played before might genuinely expect that playing an over the top anime super hero character is entirely possible. One of the reasons why as a DM, I'm very insistent that new players make their own character.

Mitchellnotes
2018-02-02, 07:15 PM
Just another thought - celestial warlock gets a pretty awesome action on death with damage and blindness. Celestial lock of the blade could rock a long sword as a katana, and spells could mimic the supernatural flavor he may be looking for from the monk. Just refluff the patron a bit (could even be a phoenix), and may do ok. Dragonborn even has better stat bonuses for this

lebefrei
2018-02-02, 07:55 PM
Beware these players. At this point when I do need a player I reject these ones. They almost seem like a roleplayer, but when you look at their character in any detail it is clearly them, living out their power fantasy in any possible way they can. It's absolutely just that person, hyped up and brave and beloved and ultimately heroic, something they wish they were. I mean, I know we all have fantasies, but we usually only submit our significant others to having to deal with them.

There is almost always an anime or video game connection; I think the many bland main characters allow viewers to see themselves as the character. Either way, if you keep him around don't give in to demands. Remind him that he has plenty of time and options to shape his character into any way he likes, but the character will exist within the rules of the game. Furthermore, if you were to ever give special powers, they would be for special reasons and certainly happen much later than level 1. Consider making it part of his personal quest if you are interested in entertaining him, but obviously preplanned PC cinematic martyrdom at the climactic battle isn't at all in keeping with the design of this game. If the PCs die, they were under attack from a dangerous enemy. He can put himself in harms way to protect others as much as he wants, and it may happen. I wouldn't want to be part of a game in which this occurred. If we are going to remember great battles and losses, we can't know the outcome ahead of time.

War_lord
2018-02-02, 07:58 PM
Beware these players. At this point when I do need a player I reject these ones. They almost seem like a roleplayer, but when you look at their character in any detail it is clearly them, living out their power fantasy in any possible way they can. It's absolutely just that person, hyped up and brave and beloved and ultimately heroic, something they wish they were.

So when you play D&D you only play dirt farmers? You're literally describing the appeal of a roleplaying game.

lebefrei
2018-02-03, 12:04 AM
So when you play D&D you only play dirt farmers? You're literally describing the appeal of a roleplaying game.

No... I'm describing the person that with every character plays the exact same person, themselves WITH POWERS!!!!!!!! No matter the setting, the character, it's always just them, dialing it up to 11. This person usually must also be the hero/protagonist/center of attention and when that isn't happening they're often bored/not involved in the game. It's a very specific type, and the demands of the OP DM make it sound like that kind of player to me.

The Cats
2018-02-03, 12:33 AM
No... I'm describing the person that with every character plays the exact same person, themselves WITH POWERS!!!!!!!! No matter the setting, the character, it's always just them, dialing it up to 11. This person usually must also be the hero/protagonist/center of attention and when that isn't happening they're often bored/not involved in the game. It's a very specific type, and the demands of the OP DM make it sound like that kind of player to me.

Orrrr he's a guy who wants to play a character that sounds really cool to him and he doesn't have a very good understanding of how DnD works. You're getting an awful lot of psychology out of one exasperated paragraph.

Also think your whole extrapolation here is pretty weak. "Want to play myself with powers" =/= "Want to be the centre of attention" =/= "Bored and unengaged when it's not my turn." And "wants to play an OP anime character" =/= any of that.

War_lord
2018-02-03, 07:23 AM

Like "The Cats" said, you're assuming a LOT about this player without any evidence. As both Cats and I have said, it's more likely he doesn't understand how D&D actually works, and when asked what he wants to play, just answered with what he thinks would be cool.

Plenty of people play characters that are just basically themselves with powers, particularly people who are new to the game. You don't have to have some high brow character concept or acting chops to play D&D. Lack of interest in the game doesn't have any connection to that. You're just projecting things based on internal prejudice.

Beelzebubba
2018-02-03, 07:48 AM
There's also letting him know the game is about starting off at a lower power level and working your way up to that person. So, they will eventually be there, but to imagine what it's like during the earlier times when they're still discovering their power.

And, it's a team game, so he should think in terms of how he will work with others, and that 'lone wolves' don't work.

See how he reacts to those.

Lombra
2018-02-03, 08:15 AM
Sounds like he wants to play a samurai, maybe a monk-samurai or barbarian-samurai for the unarmored defense, barbarian's rage sounds like it could work with the character concept.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-03, 08:32 AM

If he wants to go a Dragonborn Open Hand monk with a katana and a staff thats fine (Katana = refluffed shortsword, and Staff = Staff).

Personally I allow all 'monk weapons' to be 1d6, [versatile 1d8] weapons so the spear and staff arent optimal. Pick a damage type (S, B and P), name your weapon, and off you go.

About the making the character bit. In my group I am tasked with making the new peoples characters for this is their second campaign. The reason i think its best to do this is because if some one does not know how to make a character and wants an outrageously OP one they can make it with out the DMs consent. Also if thats what he wants make him an opean hand monk and tell him that if he wants that death ability dip into samurai for 18 levels they get strength before death. Or you could get undead fortitude form the shadow sorcerer if he wants it that bad.

UnderwaterAir
2018-02-03, 11:23 AM
Tell him he can do it but it'll be horribly unoptimized and to keep the game balanced you will have to penalize him harshly in other stats or in other areas.

My friend also loves anime so the character he wanted to make had some anime protagonist type vibes to it.
One of them was that when he was knocked unconscious he becomes a shadow elemental.
I told him sure, but the elemental is berserk and attacks whatever is nearest to it. I determine the stats of the elemental and its abilities. And if the elemental dies in combat he automatically fails a death throw. And if he stabilizes normally the shadow goes away. So this can now be plus or minus for the group. If he goes down in a bad spot the elemental pops out and starts attacking his allies. Not only that, enemies will see that the shadow elemental came out of his body. Smarter enemies may assume he is concentrating on a "spell" and attack his unconscious body forcing failed death throws putting him to death as the enemies try to cancel his concentration. This is something I let my intelligent enemies do on a normal basis as DM.

In another campaign a friend wanted to be able to create water shurikens and throw them as her main attack. I basically locked her down to a Warlock class and reflavored Eldritch Blast for her. After she got that I then allowed her to multiclass to Rogue (sans Sneak Attack) to better fit her ninja water star throwing. She loved the character and as far as I can tell it was still balanced in DND. If anything, a little weaker because instead of doing force damage she was now doing cold damage with her eldritch blast. *shrugs*

For your friend I would take away at least 2 from his WIS and CON permanently. I'll give him a single big attack only if he's at 1 HP. Something like Xd8 for every ki point he has left and uses up all of his ki points rolling for attack once so it can just as easily miss as a normal attack. Until a long rest his ki point max is halved. So only doable at 1 HP.
For his katana and whatnot I'll force him to either go kensei or dip samurai if he wants to remain open hand monk.
And, on death, he does a WIS saving throw. DC 18, 15, 14, whatever. If he succeeds his character may die but his spirit advances on to a new level of understanding and existence and that spiritual force may return later to help the heroes, or not, whatever, it's further on down the story. Even if it does appear I'll just have it cast major illusion and give 10 temporary HP to the group once only while also handicapping any new characters he makes if he wants to continue to keep this ability from a dead character.

Let the players do what they want, but then force handicaps on them if they do something outside of the normal rules. Punish them harshly if you feel that what they are trying to do is too powerful. Let them decide if losing 5 ASIs worth of stats right at level 1 is worth being able to shoot Cyclops laser beams out of their eyes dealing normal Firebolt damage. Tell them that's the best you can do, if they don't like it they'll have just have to stick to the normal rules.

Honest Tiefling
2018-02-03, 11:45 AM
Why Kung Fu Panda and why not the millions of Wuxia films out on the market that Kug Fu Panda was pulling from?

I'm guessing Jack Black, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, how old is this guy? If he's been in multiple campaigns, he's got no excuse. But if he has no idea what is appropriate for a DnD campaign, he could be making honest mistakes. If you are having tonal issues, try to remind him of media he's aware of that would help reinforce the proper atmosphere. Witcher, and Dragonage might be good places to start. Avoid Lord of the Rings, due to Gandalf the White coming back after a character rebuild and his OP Maiar race.

As for the ability, let him! As in, let him FIND it. Players don't get powers handed to them! You earn your levels and if you want anything outside of your class, you work at it. Tell him ways he could earn it (faith-based roleplaying seems logical to me for this one).

Unoriginal
2018-02-03, 12:00 PM
Honestly, though, it kinda sounds like the player was describing a 4e character with one of those end-game epic destinies (I forgot the actual name).

Honest Tiefling
2018-02-03, 01:01 PM
Honestly, though, it kinda sounds like the player was describing a 4e character with one of those end-game epic destinies (I forgot the actual name).

I think they were literally called epic destinies. Which does bring up a good point, has the player cut their teeth on 4th edition or pathfinder with the mythic progression? That might explain a few issues regarding expectations...