PDA

View Full Version : Vampire the Masquerade in 5e

Foxydono
2018-02-02, 05:22 AM
Has anyone converted Vampire the Masquerade for 5 edition? I really want to make a campaign around it, but don't have much time. If anyone knows of such a homebrew setting in 5e, that would make me really happy :)

Unoriginal
2018-02-02, 06:14 AM
Why not play Vampire: The Masquerade itself?

The two systems are so different trying to adapt one to the other would be an in-name-only

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-02, 06:38 AM
I think the issue is that basically everyone in D&D already knows about vampires to at least some degree, which makes the whole 'Masquerade' aspect a bit difficult to pull off.

I think the best you could do would be to have a particular city that seems normal enough (more or less), but is actually covertly ruled by vampires. In this case, it's not that the regular citizens don't know about vampires - it's that they haven't realised vampires are in their midst.

Obviously the vampires would have to have a way of surviving in the day, to avoid drawing too much suspicion. They'd also want a way to drink people's blood, again without drawing attention to themselves. The Lord or Mayor of the town could be a vampire or a human puppet (whether someone who has agreed to serve them or who doesn't realise he's being manipulated by them).

Basically, I don't think you can rely on a world-wide masquerade. If you try to tell your players "Okay, your characters don't know anything about vampires and, as far as they're aware, vampires don't exist here," I guarantee the first thing they'l think is 'this campaign is going to be about secret vampires'. :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2018-02-02, 08:16 AM
Why not play Vampire: The Masquerade itself?

The two systems are so different trying to adapt one to the other would be an in-name-only

This.

You could do it. 13 clans to 13 classes, or 13 race and make a bunch of new classes, swap out spells for Disciplines. But it'll take so much work that it's just not worthwhile compared to just running Masquerade or even Requiem in the Masquerade setting (you have to write a couple of disciplines, that that's it).

BobZan
2018-02-02, 08:23 AM
You are looking for Vampire: The Dark Ages!

Innocent_bystan
2018-02-02, 12:11 PM
I'd create a base vampire race and a clan-specific free feat, which includes the clan flaw.

The various disciplines could be modelled into classes, but if you rewrite all classes, you could very well just play Vampire.

You could just create the various disciplines as boons. And work with your players to create those boons as needed. I'd try not create them all beforehand as that is a sure fire way to suffer from burnout.

Rogerdodger557
2018-02-02, 01:58 PM
I'd create a base vampire race and a clan-specific free feat, which includes the clan flaw.

The various disciplines could be modelled into classes, but if you rewrite all classes, you could very well just play Vampire.

You could just create the various disciplines as boons. And work with your players to create those boons as needed. I'd try not create them all beforehand as that is a sure fire way to suffer from burnout.

For the feat, look at the Dragonmark feat from the Eberron Unearthed Arcana. From what I understand of V:tM, it's similar enough to work.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-02, 02:28 PM
What specific bits of Vampire do you want to import to 5e? They're very different games in a lot of ways. You could maybe, oh, come up with one race per vampire type, each with a racial feat or two for those who want to get more Vampire-y, then use standard classes and spells and just fluff everything as being Special Vampire MagicTM? Drop Alignment and glue in some Humanity rules* in its place? Much more than that and you're getting into deep, deep overhaul territory.

*That's the Vampire morality track, right?

Garfunion
2018-02-02, 07:46 PM
Now you got me thinking. I probably use versatile human as the baseline model for my vampire. Taking magical initiate feat to represent some of the basic powers each vampire has. Might use the warlock class as a base model for the vampire discipline system.
Hmmm.