PDA

View Full Version : A Bigger, Better Bear! (Druid/Barbarian Build)

SMac8988
2018-02-02, 08:22 AM
Hello, and thanks for giving my post a look. I was wondering about how people have played and feel about the multiclass options of Druid/Barbarian.

Currently my play group is running through Horde of the Dragon Queen, and are going right into Rise of Tiamat after. I am running Kesh, the Shaman of his people.

I started as a barbarian and now that we are level 4, I am two levels barb and two levels druid (Moon). My spells are used mainly as support; good berry to feed the party, beast bond, animal friendship ect. And my big combat play is wildshape and rage for some decent damage. Being a half orc means my crits make a big swing in combat, and the ability to stay as my beast even when dropped to 0.

Another question I had was how would one scale up a Bear for all levels of wildshape. Since this will most likely be a level 20 campaign, I am looking at staying a bear the entire time. I have brown bear now, and level 4 druid gets me Cave Bears(Not a great improvement). But after that I am out of Bears, and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to build a higher CR Bear so I can keep my concept, but not be completely useless. My DM has approved for me to build a Larger bear for CR3 and a Dire Bear for CR4. I believe the Idea is a "Spirit form" for my CR 5 Bear; since it would be my Capstone ability.

But any suggestions for how to build these bigger bears, or feels about the Bearbarian would be awesome!

Thanks in advance all.

BobZan
2018-02-02, 08:38 AM
Since Moon Druids Wild Shape CR are Druid level/3 (rounded down), your next CR upgrade will be at Druid 6 for a CR 2 Polar Bear.

I think Moon Druids are strong enough without upscalling Bears, but if your DM allowed, you should check similar possible beasts and balance that way.

I think, per RAW, you can't use your Half-Orc feature when your Wild Shape reaches 0, but I might be wrong.

Vaz
2018-02-02, 08:48 AM
CR1/2 - Black Bear
CR1 - Brown Bear
CR2 - Cave Bear (Polar Bear+bonus)
CR3 - Owlbear (Consider type to be Beast, Change the name of Beak to Bite; Keen Sight, Additional Claw Attack, lose Swim Speed over Cave Bear - request keeping the Swim Speed)
CR4 - ?
CR5 - ?

Brown Bear to Polar Bear is +2 to hit, +1 to damage (+1 Str), +1 AC, +1d10+(Con) HD - Cave Bear gives you 60ft darkvision also
Brown Bear to Owlbear is +1 AC, +1 Con (but with Con 17, no buff), +2d10+(2*Con) HD, the Damage die increases by 1 size, and obviously the extra claw attack

Owlbear to Dire Bear; +1AC, +1Con, +1 Str, +1d10+Con HD (gives you AC14, 8d10+32HP, and your damage stays the same

Spirit Bear; +1AC and +1 Str, +2d10+(2*Con) HP to the Owlbear Give it Incorporeal Movement, Ethereal Sight, possibly from Variable Illumination (from WilloWisp). Perhaps have the attack deal Radiant or Necrotic damage, or perhaps a specific element if you're closely tied to one.

I think that keeps the pattern going at least, while providing some Spirit Bear capstone abilities.

SMac8988
2018-02-02, 09:04 AM
CR1/2 - Black Bear
CR1 - Brown Bear
CR2 - Cave Bear (Polar Bear+bonus)
CR3 - Owlbear (Consider type to be Beast, Change the name of Beak to Bite; Keen Sight, Additional Claw Attack, lose Swim Speed over Cave Bear - request keeping the Swim Speed)
CR4 - ?
CR5 - ?

Brown Bear to Polar Bear is +2 to hit, +1 to damage (+1 Str), +1 AC, +1d10+(Con) HD - Cave Bear gives you 60ft darkvision also
Brown Bear to Owlbear is +1 AC, +1 Con (but with Con 17, no buff), +2d10+(2*Con) HD, the Damage die increases by 1 size, and obviously the extra claw attack

Owlbear to Dire Bear; +1AC, +1Con, +1 Str, +1d10+Con HD (gives you AC14, 8d10+32HP, and your damage stays the same

Spirit Bear; +1AC and +1 Str, +2d10+(2*Con) HP to the Owlbear Give it Incorporeal Movement, Ethereal Sight, possibly from Variable Illumination (from WilloWisp). Perhaps have the attack deal Radiant or Necrotic damage, or perhaps a specific element if you're closely tied to one.

I think that keeps the pattern going at least, while providing some Spirit Bear capstone abilities.

That actually looked really awesome. Ill talk to him about that. Maybe build it out on a sheet to show him the progression, that its not crazy strong. Ive used fire a bit, but not a ton, just cantrips here and there. Maybe even see if the damage would be force, since its from a "Spirit".

Thanks for the help!

strangebloke
2018-02-02, 10:17 AM
This is why I really wish combat wild shape just gave you one higher-CR form that got better as you leveled. More consistent with the few archetypal druids I can think of.

SMac8988
2018-02-02, 11:22 AM
This is why I really wish combat wild shape just gave you one higher-CR form that got better as you leveled. More consistent with the few archetypal druids I can think of.

Agreed. I'm just thankful my DM let me build the other bears, so I can keep my theme!