PDA

View Full Version : What to Give A Spellfree Ranger?

the_brazenburn
2018-02-02, 08:51 AM
I've always liked the Ranger class, from both 3.5 and 5e. I do have, however, one complaint.

The Spellcasting is WORTHLESS!!!!

Yes, I know it can come in helpful. Yes, I know Hunter's Mark is an excellent spell. Yes, I know Ranger would be too weak without it. But I really, really hate dealing with spells as a ranger.

I'm planning to build one without spells, and I had to wonder:

What could you give it to make up for the lack of casting?

Feuerphoenix
2018-02-02, 09:04 AM
Refluff the battlemaster (by changing the proficiencies of skill and saving throws) and go this way. Most easy fix in my opinion

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-02, 09:09 AM
I believe there's an unearthed arcana out there with a spell-free Ranger. Might want to start there. (I'd post it, but the site is blocked from where I am)

Arkhios
2018-02-02, 09:13 AM
the first semi-official UA ranger variant without spells had combat superiority and some (if not all; I can't access the pdf at the moment) battle master maneuvers. And ability called Poultices (basically herbal potions and/or medicine) that could restore hit points.

DeTess
2018-02-02, 09:16 AM
I believe there's an unearthed arcana out there with a spell-free Ranger. Might want to start there. (I'd post it, but the site is blocked from where I am)

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

Here you go. remember that UA isn't always nicely balanced, and the spell-less ranger is provided as an example for how to change classes, so make sure to discuss this with your DM.

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-02, 09:17 AM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

Here you go. remember that UA isn't always nicely balanced, and the spell-less ranger is provided as an example for how to change classes, so make sure to discuss this with your DM.

Thanks for that.

Also, the Scout Rogue from Xanathar's is another good way to take a character like this. Gives a good nature-y feel to the character, and no spells.

Vaz
2018-02-02, 09:51 AM
Divine Smite against Favoured Enemies?

Mister_Squinty
2018-02-02, 09:53 AM
Divine Smite against Favoured Enemies?

How do they fuel a Divine Smite without a spell slot?

What to Give A Spellfree Ranger?

Fighter Levels

Vaz
2018-02-02, 10:27 AM
How do they fuel a Divine Smite without a spell slot?
Read the OP. The Spells are worthless to the OP, but the player hates dealing with the spells. Not sure why using the Spell Slots to Divine Smite when you hit a favoured enemy is too strange.

If they were using a Spell Less Ranger, then the option has already been posted, and this idea isn't useful. But in the simplest case possible, just replace the need to cast spells to actually make Favoured Enemy useful in combat.

cotofpoffee
2018-02-02, 10:34 AM
Play a Scout Rogue.

All the thematic flavor of the Ranger. None of the spellcasting.

Specter
2018-02-02, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that.

Also, the Scout Rogue from Xanathar's is another good way to take a character like this. Gives a good nature-y feel to the character, and no spells.

This, but move their level 9 ability to level 5, 13 to 9, 17 to 13 and add something else on level 17. Those abilities come way too late.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-02, 12:25 PM
My favorite Spell-less was the UA Scout Fighter. But since the Scout Rogue came out I don't think it will see print.

Vogie
2018-02-02, 04:32 PM
For a Ranged Spell-less Ranger, maybe Arcane Archer 7 / Scout Rogue X. That character would, technically, get Druidcraft or prestidigitation, but that's not exactly a combat spell.

You would get 3 Arcane Shot options, 2 uses per rest, giving spell-like Utility and dealing magic damage without getting "spells", and Curving Shot. The scout bonuses to Nature, Survival and Mobility would connect well with the sniper feel.

Citan
2018-02-02, 05:17 PM
I've always liked the Ranger class, from both 3.5 and 5e. I do have, however, one complaint.

Yes, I know it can come in helpful. Yes, I know Hunter's Mark is an excellent spell. Yes, I know Ranger would be too weak without it. But I really, really hate dealing with spells as a ranger.

Hi. ;)
Hey, to each his own taste, it's not so sad since apparently you can homebrew. o/

Honestly, I'd say it depends on whether...
- You didn't like the spells's management.
- Or you didn't like the spells themselves.
- Or you just don't want any "arcanic/druidic magic".

First case? I'd suggest you...
A) Pick a handful of spells you really like and give them to Ranger while copying Warlock's suggestion.
B) Give the Ranger the full benefit of a spell, permanently, just keeping concentration (like: Longstrider at level 3, Hunter's Mark at level 5, Pass Without Trace at level 7, etc).

If you go the B way, just ensure you carefully evaluate the full benefit: for example, free Speak With Animals would be fine given at 1st level since it's usually situational. Hunter's Mark as well IF non scaled. However, "free" Pass Without Trace would be much too powerful for a level 5 benefit, even restricted as a self-buff. Lvl 9 would be fine. Powerful, but fine imo.

Second case?
Just create your own spell list. Can be combined with first case. ;)

Third case?
Pick two or three spells (Ranger or not) that you feel would be the ones you'd like to see in any Ranger and design a subclass around.
Example, Ranger = Animals.
2st level:
- "you get an animal companion" (basically Find Familiar as a ritual, except this one gets bonus HP equal to twice your ranger level and minimum INT 8. Nothing else).
- You can communicate with it as you would with another humanoid.
3rd level:
- You get Speak With Animals as a ritual, but it lasts one hour.
- You get advantage on all checks pertaining a challenge with an animal of the same species.

5th level: While your familiar or another animal of the same species is less than 60 feet of you, you benefit from all his special senses and proficiencies (fluffed as "you commune with your animal so you know how to interpret any reaction it has without need to speak").

Etc etc...
(Sorry, I'm really uninspired tonight, and it's also difficult providing ideas when not knowing where you want to go).

OR, if you just wanted martial prowesses, cherry pick goodies from Totem/Ancestral Barbarian, Rogue and Battlemaster. ;)

wilhelmdubdub
2018-02-04, 01:26 AM
This, but move their level 9 ability to level 5, 13 to 9, 17 to 13 and add something else on level 17. Those abilities come way too late.

I agree the order of the abilities is kinda strange.

Strangways
2018-02-11, 01:56 PM

If you don't like spell casting as a ranger, consider the scout subclass of the Rogue, or an archery build fighter (battlemaster or arcane archer). I would add though that very few people consider spells like Pass Without Trace, Spike Growth, Zephyr Strike or Healing Spirit to be "worthless."

the_brazenburn
2018-02-11, 02:10 PM
If you don't like spell casting as a ranger, consider the scout subclass of the Rogue, or an archery build fighter (battlemaster or arcane archer). I would add though that very few people consider spells like Pass Without Trace, Spike Growth, Zephyr Strike or Healing Spirit to be "worthless."

I don't have a problem with the spells themselves, I just don't like the way spellcasting is worked into the class build.

I eventually decided to allow the ranger, instead of taking spells, to take a fighter subclass in addition to his ranger subclass.

Specter
2018-02-11, 04:25 PM
I don't have a problem with the spells themselves, I just don't like the way spellcasting is worked into the class build.

I eventually decided to allow the ranger, instead of taking spells, to take a fighter subclass in addition to his ranger subclass.

Uh, okay, but what if your player wants some more healing or utility or skill boosts, which are just as significant as combat power for Rangers?

the_brazenburn
2018-02-11, 05:28 PM
Uh, okay, but what if your player wants some more healing or utility or skill boosts, which are just as significant as combat power for Rangers?

Uh, I'm building it for myself.

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-11, 05:41 PM
I always wanted some combat maneuvers for my spelless ranger extra fighting style.things like that i hated using spells

Specter
2018-02-11, 10:09 PM
Uh, I'm building it for myself.

Okay, then let's change 'a player' to 'you'. Are you willing to pass on Pass Without Trace? Silence? Conjure Animals? Freedom of Movement? I think you won't be very good just by slapping a fighter subclass on it.

As I said, the UA spellless ranger gets close to this, but it needs those abilities earlier.

cotofpoffee
2018-02-11, 10:15 PM
Okay, then let's change 'a player' to 'you'. Are you willing to pass on Pass Without Trace? Silence? Conjure Animals? Freedom of Movement? I think you won't be very good just by slapping a fighter subclass on it.

As I said, the UA spellless ranger gets close to this, but it needs those abilities earlier.

Pretty much this.

A Ranger with a Fighter subclass and no spells is just a Fighter but without Action Surge, extra ASIs, and basically everything good the Fighter. Like it or not, spellcasting affords Rangers a lot and takes up most of their space in their overall power. You're better off just moving out of the Ranger altogether if you don't want the spellcasting.

Arkhios
2018-02-11, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I think you'd do a lot better as a Fighter with Ranger sub-class than the other way around.

The sub-class levels for Fighter and Ranger are almost interchangeable.

Both classes gain sub-class features at 3rd, 7th, and 15th levels. At 10th and 18th levels of fighter you could grant something little extra taken from the ranger's core features, and the 11th level ranger sub-class feature could be tied to an earlier feature as an improvement as soon as you gain 11th Fighter level.