PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with the ending to Sunless Citadel

PaxZRake
2018-02-02, 09:32 AM
Hey Guys,

(Spoilers Obviously)

I'm getting to the end of Sunless Citadel and I'm a little confused on how to effectively use Shatterspike, the magical sword of murdering objects. The book seems to suggest that Sir Braford will go out of his way to attack the PCs weapons and armor, but I'm not sure how to go about that mechanically.

My current idea is to have him use the targets AC but instead of damaging them drop the dice of their weapon one size, or drop their AC by 2, but not sure that's the best approach.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Falcon X
2018-02-02, 09:47 AM
DMs Guide p 246-247 is where you find object AC and HP

BLC1975
2018-02-02, 09:48 AM
Have some kind of severe damage to weapon and armor which results in saving throws to keep it together. 3 fails and it's destroyed/useless? Could be quite tense.

ImproperJustice
2018-02-02, 12:10 PM
I vaguely recall that in that encounter someone in our party just tackled him to the ground in the opening round and disarmed him.....

But the threat of him breaking our stuff was pretty scary.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-02-02, 12:46 PM
There's rules for degrading items in the DMG/MM already - try looking at the Rust Monster or the Black Pudding?

Avonar
2018-02-02, 01:43 PM
I like to state the weapons have an AC and HP as per the DMG. The first time, let him just destroy a weapon it he hits hard enough. It will be shocking and unexpected. I have run this twice and they have always had a weapon to spare.

If he tries again once they know of the tactic, you could give them a Dex save to avoid if you want?

Tanarii
2018-02-02, 02:19 PM
Breaking a weapon sounds like a Disarm check, with the additional intent of doing damage to the object. It shouldn't just be against the objects AC, because it's a held (or worn) object. To balance out permanent destruction, I'd say if the damage fails to break it, the enemy (or PC in this case) is not disarmed.

So Disarm check is DMG p. 271:
DISARM
A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.
The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, o disadvantage if it is smaller.

Object AC and Hit Points are on DMG p247 and 248, probably:
AC 19 (steel), 10 Hps (weapon, small, resilient) or 18 Hps (armor, medium, resilient)

You might want to make it a double check for both AC 19 and opposed by Str (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics), but if you do that you're making it fairly easy to resist. If you want that, because breaking a weapon shouldn't be very easy, then go for it!