PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need A Creepy Monster That Slithers

Palanan
2018-02-02, 12:07 PM
For my next session tomorrow night, I need some sort of creature that slithers, slides, or wetly glides across all manner of surfaces, vertical and horizontal alike.

Ideally this would be something like an air-breathing octopus or a giant planarian, something that can climb walls and squeeze through narrow slits. I’m open to all official 3.5 and Paizo content, the creepier the better.

Kol Korran
2018-02-02, 01:19 PM
Gibbering mouther?
If you want to add up the creepy factor, check my extended sig for the compendium of maligned creatures... I got an "interesting" take on the mouther in one of the later entries...

Also, most oozes would fit the bill...

Palanan
2018-02-02, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kol Korran
If you want to add up the creepy factor, check my extended sig for the compendium of maligned creatures...

I'd be glad to look at this, but not sure where it is. I'm not seeing any signature at all after your post here.

Psyren
2018-02-02, 02:27 PM
Shoggoth? Some flavor of ooze?

Palanan
2018-02-02, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
Some flavor of ooze?

Actually I've just found the slithering tracker, which is close to ideal, but it's CR 4. I didn't mention the CR in my OP, but ideally I'm looking for something in the 1-2 range.

Is there an quick and easy way to trim the slithering tracker down to CR 2? That would be perfect.

Celestia
2018-02-02, 02:34 PM
Actually I've just found the slithering tracker, which is close to ideal, but it's CR 4. I didn't mention the CR in my OP, but ideally I'm looking for something in the 1-2 range.

Is there an quick and easy way to trim the slithering tracker down to CR 2? That would be perfect.
Knock of a few HD? Lower stats? Remove abilities? Those are the common ways.

Psyren
2018-02-02, 02:36 PM
Not familiar with it, but you could apply negative templates like Young to make it runty or weak. You could also slap on some kind of affliction like a curse, or give the PCs some kind of environmental advantage like making the ground it has to slither across be spiky or consecrated somehow.

Palanan
2018-02-02, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Celestia
Knock of a few HD? Lower stats? Remove abilities? Those are the common ways.

Right, but I'm not sure what abilities to remove, or what stats to lower and how far. I don't have much instinct for monster-modifying.

Originally Posted by Psyren
Not familiar with it, but you could apply negative templates like Young to make it runty or weak.

Aha, thanks. That's a place to start.

Kol Korran
2018-02-05, 11:46 PM
I'd be glad to look at this, but not sure where it is. I'm not seeing any signature at all after your post here.

My apologies, I didn't notice that for some reason it was off. It's on now, if that still matters.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-02-06, 12:33 AM
Remove the legs from pretty much anything, have it slither and glide instead of walking, as if pulled along by a string

Segev
2018-02-06, 01:07 PM
The Skulking Cyst from Libris Mortis is pretty gross, has a climb score that will mimic any sort of sliding-on-surfaces, and is a gateway monster for using the Necrotic line of spells on your victims.

It looks like a pulsating, putrid basketball-sized cyst of undead flesh filled with necrotized puss, surrounded by the viscera and loosely-clinging flesh and limbs of a person that it erupted from. It's got very good Hide and Move Silently scores, and a very good Climb score. And it moves by sliding or half-rolling/half-lurching along, using whatever body parts haven't yet fallen off to cling and grope like grappling ropes. It likes to latch onto victims to drink a few Con worth of blood and then infect them with a necrotic cyst of their own.