PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quickened or Maximized SLA on Eldritch Blast

Shocksrivers
2018-02-02, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on playing a warlock (level 10) for an all Gnome evil campaign. I was reading up on how to boost the damage output of eldritch blast, and came across people suggesting maximizing it with Maximize SLA from the MMI. Now, it seems to me that at level 10, I couldn't use this, because the spell level of eldritich blast scales up when you become higher level, right? So as I read it, I can use Maximize SLA on a SLA that has a spell level of my caster level divided by 2 minus 2, while eldritch blast is considered to be of a spell level equal to half your caster level.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, I get a tad confused by this class, but it seems like fun to fly around throwing spears of demonic flames on people, so I wanted to try it!

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-02, 03:36 PM
There was Errata on the Eldritch Blast

Page 7: Eldritch Blast
Second paragraph of the Eldritch Blast ability description:
Change “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th level or higher” to “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence.”
Any other references to eldritch blast being something other than the equivalent of a 1st-level spell should be disregarded.
Any other references claiming that eldritch blast is not an invocation should be disregarded.
A warlock can use eldritch blast at will.

Khedrac
2018-02-02, 03:54 PM
What you may have missed is that the spell equivalent level of a basic Eldritch Blast got modified to 1 by the errata document - probably because it could not be maximised as originally wirtten.

Shocksrivers
2018-02-06, 11:56 AM
Thank you both!