PDA

View Full Version : Speculation SCAG/XGtE question

ChainsawFlwrcld
2018-02-02, 04:31 PM
It bothers me that they republished the Mastermind, the Swashbuckler, and the Storm Sorcerer in XGtE but left out several of the other SCaG sub classes most notably the Arcane Cleric and the Blade Singers, as well as the melee combat cantrips such as Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade out. I figure the Swashbuckler was likely included to not interfere with the Adventure League (PHB+1) since they are one of the most popular rogue kits. Why wouldn't they have included the other sub classes though, especially the casters? Now those Adventure League players that rely on the melee cantrips for their build cant use any of the new spells from XGtE. Seems cheesy to me.

jollydm
2018-02-02, 04:36 PM
I don't think they plan the contents of books based on how they might interfere with AL builds...I'm guessing those were included in XGtE because they felt there was a need for updating and/or balancing those subclasses.

War_lord
2018-02-02, 04:37 PM
Probably because the Bladesinger and Arcana Cleric are considered FR exclusive concepts. Before anyone leaps down my throat, I know the Bladesinger itself and the very concept of the Elf as a Gish long predates FR, but they have became strongly attached. An alternative theory is that the Bladesinger wasn't a very good single class option, and thus wasn't considered worth reprinting. I doubt it's an AL related matter, since that's only a fraction of the player base.

2D8HP
2018-02-02, 04:47 PM
It bothers me that they republished the Mastermind, the Swashbuckler, and the Storm Sorcerer in XGtE but left out several of the other SCaG sub classes...

....Why wouldn't they have included the other sub classes...

Because the Swashbuckler is AWESOME! and by republishing it, it gives others more opportunities to be AWESOME! by playing an AWESOME! Subclass.

As to the other sub-classes?

Yeah, I don't know 'bout them as I'm too busy being AWESOME! by playing a Swashbuckler.

Naanomi
2018-02-02, 04:50 PM
Sunsoul Monk was also a very FR entrenched concept but it got in... and Oath of Crown/Undying Patron we’re both very setting generic but we’re left out.

strangebloke
2018-02-02, 05:03 PM
I see it as them taking the best, ignoring the others.

Battlerager, the alt-totems, oath of the crown, and undying patron are relatively anemic.

Or not. Arcana Cleric and Bladesinger are decent. The cantrips are also fantastic.

Anyway, they still want people to buy the book, yeah? Seems pretty self-explanatory.

ChainsawFlwrcld
2018-02-03, 11:17 AM
I see it as them taking the best, ignoring the others.

Yea but they left the cantrips behind, which clearly are some of the best SCAG had to offer.

I'm not an Adventure League player, I just thought it was stupid to pillage from one of the previous books they put out and then do it inconsistently, especially when there are limits on how some people can use the new options. None of the Adventure League folks can use the SCAG cantrips if they are a XGtE class.

:confused:

Naanomi
2018-02-03, 11:22 AM
The AL limits make some weird restrictions overall. No Hobgoblin Warmages? No Svirfneblin Gloomstalkers? No Aasimar Divine Souls OR Celestial Patron Warlocks?