PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my Artificer! 3.0

magicalmagicman
2018-02-02, 04:55 PM
Certain threads on this forum made me get a better grasp at artificers. So here is my new and improved artificer!

The main goal of this build is to be a construct master. One who creates robotic monstrosities that annihilate all those who threaten him.

Class: Artificer 20

Race: Human

Ability Score:
25 Point Buy
9 STR
8 DEX - Dumped Dex thanks to Summon Marked Homunculus
14 CON
16 INT
8 WIS
14 CHA

Skills:
???
Probably will figure this one out last, once I have a plan of constructs I intend to build.

Feats:
1 *Scribe Scroll, Least Dragonmark, Extend Spell
2 *Brew Potion
3 *Craft Wondrous Item, Extraordinary Artisan
4 *Craft Homunculus, Legendary Artisan
5 *Craft Magical Arms and Armor
6 *Craft Wand, Craft Construct
8 Exceptional Artisan
9 *Craft Rod, Magical Artisan (Craft Construct)
12 *Craft Staff, ???, ???
14 *Forge Ring
15 ???
16 ???
18 ???
20 ???

Level 1-5
Spam Summon Marked Homunculus. They have +7 to hit which rivals summon monster/nature ally III monsters. Theoretically I can use 0 wealth and just spam this spell all the way to level 5 and be useful in the party.

Level 6
Construct a 8headed Hydra Effigy!
Body Cost: 10,000gp / 3 = 3334gp, 11 days
Cost to Animate: 8,000gp, 640xp, 8 days
Total Cost: 11,334gp, 640xp, 19 days.

Level 10
Construct a 12 headed Hydra Effigy!

Level ???
Iunno, construct a Shadesteel Golem? Iron Golem? Clay Golem? ???

Anyone see a problem with my build?

Q: Why not add Magical Artisan to Extraordinary/Legendary Artisan?
A: The feat says you are a master of creating a type of item. Extraordinary/Legendary Artisan are not types of items. This is the difference between High-Op and TO.

edit: Upgraded to 3.0! Thank you GiantITP Forum! Seriously! You guys are awesome!

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-02, 07:10 PM
I'd suggest putting the 16 in Int instead of Cha. Infusions are more important than a +1 to UMD in the medium-long term and getting buffs that boost skill checks is trivial for an artificer.

For good constructs look up Effigy Creatures (CArc). They're fairly cheap for constructs and since it's a template you can pick a creature you like. My suggestion would be the Rukanyr (FF).

magicalmagicman
2018-02-03, 07:26 AM
I'd suggest putting the 16 in Int instead of Cha. Infusions are more important than a +1 to UMD in the medium-long term and getting buffs that boost skill checks is trivial for an artificer.

For good constructs look up Effigy Creatures (CArc). They're fairly cheap for constructs and since it's a template you can pick a creature you like. My suggestion would be the Rukanyr (FF).

How would 16 int help with infusions? I will be putting 2 more points into int when leveled up for the bare minimum of 16 int to have access to all infusions, but I fail to see the point of adding more INT.

Actually I'll probably will start with 16 int for more skill points.

Oh and another thing of why Ravid shenanigan. Even effigy creatures are ludicrously expensive for early levels. So yeah, Ravids are significantly cheaper and superior to all constructs I can craft at that level. But I probably will grab a 12hd hydra effigy when I get the money to replace the gargantuan animated object.

unseenmage
2018-02-03, 10:00 AM
Effigies are more worthwhile if a) their HD to CR ratio comes out in your favor. Under CRrd Effigy-able creatures can be found aplenty in Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun.

And b) if their Ex abilities are powerful. Pounce is usually the go-to superpower you'll be after.
Additionally, an Effigy of a 1HD humanoid base race creature is possible and any non-Su, non-Sp abilities should persist through the Effigy-ification process. Arguably this includes a Human's floating bonus feat. Ask your GM for clarification.

Special movement modes also can be useful on Effigies. IIRC Races of Stone has a saddle for Burrowing creatures which makes Bulette Effigies a much more attractive option.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-03, 10:53 AM
How would 16 int help with infusions? I will be putting 2 more points into int when leveled up for the bare minimum of 16 int to have access to all infusions, but I fail to see the point of adding more INT.
Int does the same thing for infusions it does for wizard spells: increased DC's (admittedly mostly irrelevant) and bonus uses/day. Notably starting with a 16 Int means you get a bonus 3rd level infusion at level 5. 3rd level infusions include such gems as Metamagic Item so it's definitely worth having an extra. And naturally you reach bonus infusions for higher levels earlier too.

magicalmagicman
2018-02-03, 02:12 PM
Effigies are more worthwhile if a) their HD to CR ratio comes out in your favor. Under CRrd Effigy-able creatures can be found aplenty in Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun.

And b) if their Ex abilities are powerful. Pounce is usually the go-to superpower you'll be after.
Additionally, an Effigy of a 1HD humanoid base race creature is possible and any non-Su, non-Sp abilities should persist through the Effigy-ification process. Arguably this includes a Human's floating bonus feat. Ask your GM for clarification.

Special movement modes also can be useful on Effigies. IIRC Races of Stone has a saddle for Burrowing creatures which makes Bulette Effigies a much more attractive option.

So... basically just comb the monster manuals for creatures with pounce?

I don't think anything beats hydra effigies though.

Wait... I think I miscalculated effigies!

At level 6... a 8hd hydra costs 10,000gp (body) + 2,000gp x 8 = 26,000gp. Crafted myself it costs 18,000gp, but if I craft the body myself as well (something I totally forgot I could do) it would cost 11,334gp. Factor in Extraordinary Artisan...
11,334gp x 0.75 = 8500gp! Totally within level 6's WBL. This changes everything!

Then again... I don't have access to Fabricate, and crafting a 10,000GP item with craft skill alone is... far from practical...

10,000gp in silver is 100,000. DC for body is 15 so 100,000/15 = 6667sp. 6667 / (10(avg) + 9(skill) + 3 (int)) = 6667/22 = 303 WEEKS. That's almost 6 years! Even when spamming extended summon marked homunculus:dedicated wright, assuming a day has 16 hours of work, it would still take at least a year!

Last hurdle I guess. With Exceptional Artisan I could get that time down by 25%.

I really, really, reaaaaallly want to eliminate ravids from the equation. Lesser Planar Binding hinges on DM's mercy.

Int does the same thing for infusions it does for wizard spells: increased DC's (admittedly mostly irrelevant) and bonus uses/day. Notably starting with a 16 Int means you get a bonus 3rd level infusion at level 5. 3rd level infusions include such gems as Metamagic Item so it's definitely worth having an extra. And naturally you reach bonus infusions for higher levels earlier too.

16 int at start for skill points and bonus infusions, and all level up increases go to CHA then? Or is this a bad idea too?

RoboEmperor
2018-02-03, 02:42 PM
You forgot about unseen crafter, which is an artificer2 infusion that lasts 1 day/level

Lets do the math properly. At level 6 you can cast Unseen Crafter 7 times a day with 16 int.

They all have the same check result as you, 10 (take 10) + 9 (skill) + 3 (int) = 22.

Each Unseen Crafter lasts 6 days. So at your highest concentration you will have 36 Unseen Crafters at once.

100,000sp / 15 = 6667
6667 / (22 * 37) = 6667 / 814 = 9 days.
If we actually use the 5 days to summon your 36 unseen crafters...
6667 - 22 * 8 - 22 * 15 - 22 * 22 - 22*29 - 22* 37 = 6667 - 22 * 111 = 4225
4225 / (22 * 37) = 6 days

So the body will take a grand total of 11 days, and the enchanting process will take a grand total of 8 days, for a grand total of 19 days.

If you factor in Exceptional Artisan...
100,000 * 0.75 / 15 = 5000
5000 - 22*111 = 2558
2558 / (22 * 37) = 4 days

for a grand total of 17 days.

Added bonus you can now completely disregard Use Magic Device since effigies don't have any spell requirements.

So there you go, a shenanigan free construct master Artificer build that utilizes only CAr, MMI, ECS, and Dragonmark books.

magicalmagicman
2018-02-03, 03:01 PM
Changed title to 3.0! No more Ravids! Go go hydra effigies! Yay! Thanks a lot Unseenmage and Someonenoone11.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-03, 03:01 PM
16 int at start for skill points and bonus infusions, and all level up increases go to CHA then? Or is this a bad idea too?
No, level up increases also go into Int for more and higher level bonus infusions.
What does Cha actually do for you? If you need more UMD craft a wand of Divine Insight or something, but it shouldn't really be a problem after the lowest levels.

magicalmagicman
2018-02-03, 03:09 PM
No, level up increases also go into Int for more and higher level bonus infusions.
What does Cha actually do for you? If you need more UMD craft a wand of Divine Insight or something, but it shouldn't really be a problem after the lowest levels.

Considering the massive overhaul I just did to my build, yeah UMD is not essential until higher levels, at which point like you said a wand of Divine Insight should solve all my problems.

It just seems like a waste to pump the save DC of a class that doesn't use save-or-dies/suck.

But yeah until further notice, max INT it is.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-03, 03:23 PM
Considering the massive overhaul I just did to my build, yeah UMD is not essential until higher levels, at which point like you said a wand of Divine Insight should solve all my problems.

It just seems like a waste to pump the save DC of a class that doesn't use save-or-dies/suck.

But yeah until further notice, max INT it is.

It also gives more bonus infusions and more skill points. Charisma gives you pretty much nothing.
If you take Enhance Item (ELH) for Craft Wand it also adds your Int bonus to save DC's from wands, which is very valuable if you want to use offensive wands at all.

unseenmage
2018-02-03, 03:41 PM
Changed title to 3.0! No more Ravids! Go go hydra effigies! Yay! Thanks a lot Unseenmage and Someonenoone11.
You are very welcome.