PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Control Wizard

LankyOgre
2018-02-02, 06:02 PM
I'm returning to a 5e campaign soon and creating a 5th level character. I'm going to try out a wizard and see how I like it.

Quelero High Elf Wizard Conjuration
Quelero was born in Silverymoon. His parents were spellcrafters in the court of Alustial and and provided Quelero with the finest tutors and gifts. Quelero was surrounded by magic since he was very young. As he grew up, tutors in magic were added to the history, nature, and culture tutors he already knew. Magic came quickly and he began to use magic for everything. Dancing lights filled his room, messages were sent to people he could see, let alone those in other rooms, mage hands retrieved everything. Quelero was rarely seen unless his presence was commanded and was continuously interrupting those around him with his spellcasting. As he approached his 200th birthday, still showing no inclination to to grow up, his parents had a talk with him. In no uncertain terms, his parents kicked him out, telling him to travel and grow up before he came home again. Quelero’s family name and considerable funds allowed him to outfit himself with a considerable amount of equipment of questionable practicality. Quelero continues to use spells to solve problems and frequently makes decisions that would be more appropriate to adventure stories than real life. Quelero is the kind of person who will spend 3 or 4 "rounds" casting mage hand and prestidigitation, rather than walk across the room to get himself a drink. He will most likely stop and cast unseen servant every 50 minutes, unless the party stops him. He believes that magic will solve all problems and he's proud of it.
Therefore, I'm trying for more of a control and problem-solving wizard, not a blaster or enchanter. We have a Ranger (hunter), Fighter (battlemaster), Druid (Moon), and undecided (paladin, bard, or monk). We rolled for stats and I have Str 8, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 12, after racial mods. I'm thinking that I will pick up a +1 Int feat at 4th level and then take +2 Int at 8th and Resilience (Con) at 12th. I'm trying to take a combination of spells that are useful for control and that fit the character. I've looked primarily at the PHB and tried not to overload on Concentration spells.

Find familiar
Alarm
Mage armor
Shield
Unseen servant
Detect magic
Tasha’s hideous laughter
Grease
Flaming sphere
Pyrotechnics
Misty step
Mirror image
Leomand’s Tiny Hut
Counterspell
Sleet Storm
If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

ImproperJustice
2018-02-02, 07:04 PM
Cause Fear from Xanathar’s.

Slow and Dispel Magic are both amazing.

Eloel
2018-02-02, 07:08 PM
Treantmonk's guide to Wizard spells, 5e (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHzEjiHvtDItZE2ixfoYwqi7brTO-ag8uBJndE5saro/edit)

He's big on control spells and hates blasting with a passion from what I can see.

LankyOgre
2018-02-02, 11:38 PM
He's big on control spells and hates blasting with a passion from what I can see.

I’ve seen that guide. I don’t think it has Xanathar’s so I wasn’t sure if anything appeared there.
There is also the aspect that, it great to see spells rated, but sometimes the combination of spells is just as important.

I’ll look at cause fear and slow.