PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rushing Magic Item Creation Questions

theonesin
2018-02-02, 08:00 PM
So I'm playing my first ever item craft in game, and I've optimized things enough to where I can auto-succeed on standard-speed crafting. So I want to take advantage of my high bonuses and craft things faster. To quote the rules on rushed crafting:

"This process can be accelerated to 4 hours of work per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price (or fraction thereof) by increasing the DC to create the item by 5."

Can you rush multiple times on the same item? If so, does the DC increase by +5 every time you rush, or does it only ever increase once?

lagninja
2018-02-02, 08:49 PM
By RAW, no. Ask your GM, he may allow you to increase the DC Further. I would personally allow increasing the D.C. By 20 for two hours per 1000 gold or by 40 for one hour per 1k gp

theonesin
2018-02-02, 09:21 PM
I admit I should've been more specific on what I was asking. What I really wanted to know is if I can rush craft twice in one day. As in, instead of doing 8 hours of normal work, I rush craft twice(4 and 4), working the same 8-hour cap but getting twice as much time completed towards the item.

lagninja
2018-02-02, 11:43 PM
Yes, the acceleration would be for the entire creation time, because there is only a single skill check.

theonesin
2018-02-03, 09:46 PM
So then I could do 2 accelerated craftings in one say(working the same 8 hour period but getting effectively 16 hours of progress)? And I would only ever increase the DC once? Or am I misunderstanding?

theonesin
2018-02-06, 10:12 PM
Still looking for some clarification on this, as I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my crafting time.

phlidwsn
2018-02-07, 09:04 AM
You only roll once for the whole magic item, at the end. So that +5 DC sets the rate of progress for all the work on the item, however many days it spans.

And yes, if you take the +5 and work the max 8 hours, you get 2,000gp worth of progress.

Dragovon
2018-02-07, 12:19 PM
Another thing I'd ask the GM is if you can craft for more than an 8 hour period a day. Normally he may say no because you need a reasonable amount of time to sleep, prepare spells, eat, etc... but if you arrange to only need 2-4 hours of sleeping you could easily justify 2 periods of 8 hours work in a given day. The GM in one of my games allows this. :)

theonesin
2018-02-07, 05:59 PM
I have set up to only sleep 2 hours a day (Ring of Sustenance), so at the very least I've been able to spend time crafting at night while others rest longer.

I don't know if I want to ask the DM to bend any rules on the crafting time limit though. He's still fairly new to Pathfinder, and it was hard enough getting him to allow me to use the Akashic Mysteries book. I just mainly wanted clarification on the issue of "can I use accelerated crafting twice in one day to get 16 hours of progress instead of only 8?" and "if you do that, does it further increase that +5 DC?", since the base rules seemed vague on that.

Edit: Or I was really just overcomplicating the rule and it's just supposed to be "either you craft the entire item at a normal pace, or you rush craft the entire item twice as fast, but it's a little harder".

phlidwsn
2018-02-07, 06:28 PM
Your edit is the correct answer.