PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I read this again.... (Spheres of Might RAW)

SangoProduction
2018-02-02, 09:39 PM
In spheres of might, some of the spheres used to add 1 rank per HD to a skill, just for taking it. Apparently that's been reworked a while ago, but I only recently took a good hard look at it, because the intent was clear.

When you gain the Fencing sphere, you gain 5 ranks in the Bluff skill, plus 5 ranks per additional talent spent in the Fencing sphere (maximum ranks equal to your total Hit Dice).

I think, by RAW, this means you can only ever gank 5 ranks from these skills, because you can only take the sphere once, and you must take the sphere before you can take its talents.

Just in case someone decides to get snippy, and argue from RAW that the extra talents don't grant extra ranks, can someone help formulate a defense in favor of the obvious intent of having the ranks scale with talents, even after you've unlocked the sphere?

A.J.Gibson
2018-02-02, 10:02 PM
In spheres of might, some of the spheres used to add 1 rank per HD to a skill, just for taking it. Apparently that's been reworked a while ago, but I only recently took a good hard look at it, because the intent was clear.

I think, by RAW, this means you can only ever gank 5 ranks from these skills, because you can only take the sphere once, and you must take the sphere before you can take its talents.

Just in case someone decides to get snippy, and argue from RAW that the extra talents don't grant extra ranks, can someone help formulate a defense in favor of the obvious intent of having the ranks scale with talents, even after you've unlocked the sphere?

If you take the fencing sphere plus two additional fencing talents, you get 15 ranks in bluff, up to a maximum equal to your Hit Dice. These ranks stack with ranks you purchased with skill points (again, up to your hit Dice).

Daefos
2018-02-02, 10:41 PM

On the "How to Build A Practitioner (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/how-to-build-a-practitioner#toc12)" page.

Each sphere (except Equipment) gives you one or more effects when you first select it. If you're looking for a quick dip into a new Sphere, these are the benefits you'd get. Spheres that grant Ranks in a skill give 1 point per-Hit Dice to a maximum of 5 points. Taking additional talents in that sphere increases the maximum number of free skill points.

SangoProduction
2018-02-02, 11:45 PM
On the "How to Build A Practitioner (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/how-to-build-a-practitioner#toc12)" page.

Thank you. Exactly what was needed. lol.