PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Replacing Grovel, Cower, and Beg for Kobolds with Dragonlike pride?

Luccan
2018-02-03, 02:04 AM
For a homebrew world I'm plotting, I want to give a Kobolds a replacement ability for Grovel, Cower, and Beg. This is because they have become incredibly dragon-like in personality and that does not befit a dragon (except perhaps one in a pinch). The point is, here are their qualities:

They have become individualistic
They are very proud
Protective of what is "theirs"
They still use traps, stealth, and cunning against foes

Additionally, I've gotten rid of their Str penalty and added a +1 to Int and Stealth Proficiency. I figure that might be useful to know, so that you don't over value how good this needs to be. Additionally, I don't expect Sunlight Sensitivity to come up much in this game, although I'm leaving it in for the sake of magic and the possibility of seeing the sun.

MxKit
2018-02-03, 02:15 AM
They are very proud

Maybe, because of this, you can just port over the Hobgoblin's Saving Face ability? If no one's interested in playing a Hobgoblin, that is.

"If you miss with an attack roll or fail an ability check or a saving throw, you can gain a bonus to the roll equal to the number of allies you can see within 30 feet of you (maximum bonus of +5). Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest."

Combining that with their Pack Tactics also continues to emphasize the pack thing, though, and you said they were more individualistic. It might not work that well for that reason. Maybe they have advantage on any natural or magical fear checks?

Luccan
2018-02-03, 02:22 AM
Maybe, because of this, you can just port over the Hobgoblin's Saving Face ability? If no one's interested in playing a Hobgoblin, that is.

"If you miss with an attack roll or fail an ability check or a saving throw, you can gain a bonus to the roll equal to the number of allies you can see within 30 feet of you (maximum bonus of +5). Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest."

Combining that with their Pack Tactics also continues to emphasize the pack thing, though, and you said they were more individualistic. It might not work that well for that reason. Maybe they have advantage on any natural or magical fear checks?

Yeah, Advantage vs fear could work. Hobs are another big option in the game, so I might want to leave it to them. Halflings, on the other hand, aren't a player race in this world, so I could give them this. It would emphasize that while they're still sneaky, they don't run and hide out of fear. Now, if they do run, it's usually a tactical retreat. I was thinking about changing Pack Tactics, but on kobolds I tend to think of it as learned behavior backed up by natural instinct. The setting has magically changed them, so current kobolds still remember how it works, even if they're more inclined to work alone now.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-03, 04:50 AM
What about giving them the choice to not fall unconscious when they reach 0hp?

(So they can act normally, but still have to make Death saving throws each turn, and die if 3 are failed.)

thoroughlyS
2018-02-03, 07:16 AM
Perhaps simply reflavor it to be more like a dragon's Frightful Presence? Instead of cowering, the kobold 'channels the ancient power of its draconic precursors, instilling fear into those that dare stand against them.' Or give them the power from the Dragon Fear feat, if you want something mechanically similar to Frightful Presence.