PDA

View Full Version : Melee Battlemaster viability at high levels?

Beelzebubba
2018-02-03, 07:35 AM
I'm hankering for a Battlemaster pole-arm fighter, but I'm not sure how they work once you start getting into flying enemies, difficult terrain everywhere, monsters inflicting status conditions, etcetera. I admit, some of this is fueled by watching Critical Role, and seeing how the melee Barbarian was so rarely in a position to get a full attack. (Even given that he did more than his share of damage, but still... the frustration was palpable way too often.)

I'm tempted to sidestep it and make a ranged Battlemaster instead, but I want to mix it up in melee with Pole Arm Master and Sentinel and all the crazy battlefield control. I never played 4E, and I love the concept of what these more modern fighters bring to the game and want to play one.

I think I'll take Resilient Wisdom and Mobile feats to mitigate my concerns, and hope for some movement-centric magic items, but otherwise keep him Human. So, how do characters like that do? Anyone currently playing a melee Fighter at high levels, and can share how it's going?

Monavic
2018-02-03, 08:15 AM
If everything is a upfront fight then full combat characters can be overwhelming. I like to think of obstacles as fun challenges and not assume I will get a attack every round. It really depends on the DM keeping it interesting and not just leaving you with no options. Also I think the idea of a wise mobile pole arm fighter sounds badass.

Strangways
2018-02-03, 09:02 AM
Every class has the problem that some fights are going to be more difficult than others. Melee types can be overwhelming against melee opponents, but weak against flying, ranged opponents. Spell casters can be weak against opponents with damage resistance or other anti-caster abilities. Archers are weak against a group fast-moving melee types who can stay in melee range of the archer, especially if the opponent has some sort of ability to knock the archer prone. Put an archer up against a group of CR 1/4 velociraptors, who are weak individually, and that archer is going to take a beating.

Which types of opponents you encounter depends on your campaign and your DM. Ultimately, you just want to be in a well-balanced party so that your party as a whole can handle any time of encounter. If you’re a melee type and you’re thinking in particular about flying opponents, you want a Druid or Wizard in your party who can bring it down with Earthbind or some other immobilizing spell. That actually applies across the board - having a Druid or Wizard in the party is never a bad thing, as they have a lot of battlefield control spells that can make hard combats much easier for you.

Beelzebubba
2018-02-03, 09:27 AM
If everything is a upfront fight then full combat characters can be overwhelming. I like to think of obstacles as fun challenges and not assume I will get a attack every round. It really depends on the DM keeping it interesting and not just leaving you with no options. Also I think the idea of a wise mobile pole arm fighter sounds badass.

Thanks, and that makes sense.

Re the character, he's an Acolyte of Kord. He got the Resilient Wisdom via his years of meditation and discipline. He's a bit bookish and contemplative, he uses a highly tactical (and 'unfair') fighting style, and is developing an uncomfortable amount of mercy and empathy for the weak. It's a bit at odds with the 'Hoo Ra Be Strong or Be Wrong' attitude of the Temple he grew up in, so he's doing some wandering in the world to test his beliefs.

So, I boosted INT and took Religion and History - mainly to contribute in the social/investigation pillars.

DeTess
2018-02-03, 09:32 AM
I'd say you'll be fine. Depending on the party casters there are a number of buffs they could give you to allow you to fight flying creatures (which they should, because otherwise the flying creatures willl ignore you and focus on them). There is also at least one magic item that can give you flight.

Or you could be a winged tiefling or an aarakocra, if those are allowed, and make the point moot.

Throne12
2018-02-03, 10:25 AM
Build your polearm fighter. Then pick up a wand of magic missile, few Javelins of lightning and a few +x javelins. And call it good.

Saggo
2018-02-03, 10:45 AM
I admit, some of this is fueled by watching Critical Role, and seeing how the melee Barbarian was so rarely in a position to get a full attack. (Even given that he did more than his share of damage, but still... the frustration was palpable way too often.)

He did not just more than his share, but the most damage in the campaign despite those frustrations, if you look as Crit Role Stats. Melee should never cease to be relevant, if a campaign (without a specific theme) is designed properly.

Strangways
2018-02-03, 11:04 AM
I’d also make the point that it’s not just about dealing out damage. As a melee type, you also serve the function of taking hits that other people can’t. Even if you did zero damage in a fight, if you tanked all the hits that otherwise would have been hitting fragile wizards and rogues, you’ve still contributed a great deal to that fight. Certainly those wizards and rogues will never say you didn’t carry your weight in that fight.

sambojin
2018-02-03, 03:06 PM
If you really feel like you're lacking options, you could always just grab MI for a damage cantrip using your highest mental stat. At higher levels Fighters get enough ASIs that losing one for a feat to up your versatility isn't too big of a loss.

Or just ASI Dex up pretty high (16-18, the extra init is always handy) and carry a backup bow or hand crossbow. I know that takes out the melee only part, but limiting your options is always weaker than not limiting your options. Fighters are kind of meant to be all-rounders with weapons, especially battlemasters, so prone pinging some flyers with a bow and then chopping them up isn't exactly anti-thematic. Saying that you want to be melee only is like a caster saying "I don't want to use cantrips". Why? That's just stupid.

In a world with cantrip casters and flying enemies, having some sort of ranged attack would probably be considered the norm for any high level adventurer. Extra attack evens out low stats, so you'll still probably prone 1-2 things a turn with a bow. Which is good enough to feel like you're still doing something, and you'll do your normal thing next turn.

Eric Diaz
2018-02-03, 03:16 PM
Well, some melee weapons can be thrown. Not polearms, of course, but I used to carry a few javelins just in case - or even better, "darts". Light and cheap. Of course, your GM might rule that you can only throw one weapon per turn, since that is what the phrasing of the (horrible) Dual Wielder feat would indicate...

sambojin
2018-02-03, 03:24 PM
That's the only reason why I recommended a bow over some more manly/Kordly javs or hand axes. It's really clear cut on what they can and can't do, plus they have a tonne of range to boot. Dropping or switching weapons is usually considered more-or-less free to do at most tables. Since you mentioned PAM, you won't have to worry about stowing your shield, so it should be a free action to switch weapons, even if it seems a little strange.

Since you'll still primarily be a melee build, proning things is all advantage to you.

trctelles
2018-02-03, 04:23 PM
Remember that you can also use Trip Attack to prone a flying enemy and make them fall. At higher levels too you can easily get some magic items/have someone cast fly at you. Boots of Levitation should be available too, and I think most DMs allow for some kind of returning throw weapons (In Critical Role, the rogue had a belt that returned his daggers to him after they were thrown).

Remember that you don't have to be a "one man army" and be able to do all by yourself. Like someone else said, the casters will be happy to buff you to help them not be focused.

Beelzebubba
2018-02-03, 05:22 PM
Thanks so far.

He's low dex, so he sucks with ranged. I'll definitely carry javelins, and perhaps keep a crossbow around.

A Magic Adept cantrip would be optimal, but not in my character.

Sounds like I'll be fine.