PDA

View Full Version : Vandals Cut Internet Line in Cleveland

Samiam303
2007-08-26, 08:16 PM
Anyone else hear about this? It's a really sad reflection on our city that people are cutting off pieces of the internet in hopes of selling them. :tongue:

The Article (http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/business-3/1187860624160480.xml&coll=2)

Because I have a feeling it'll be cycled off cleveland.com soon:

Notice your Internet connection acting up earlier this week?

You weren't alone.

Cleveland vandals - possibly copper thieves - probably caused delays for millions of Internet users around the world on Sunday night and much of Monday.

Near Euclid Avenue and East 65th Street, someone apparently used a chain saw Sunday afternoon to cut through a high-capacity Internet trunk line, part of the backbone of the Internet. Although the thieves may have been seeking copper, there is no copper in fiber-optic cable.

When workers went to fix the underground cables, they found that the coil of replacement cable they brought from a warehouse had been damaged by a gunshot, making it unusable.

The setback meant things weren't brought back up to speed until Monday afternoon.

The damaged trunk line is owned by Adesta LLC of Nebraska but is leased by several Internet wholesalers, including Cogent Communications, Level 3 and TeliaSonera.

Those companies control access to the Internet backbone, which is made up of ultra-high-bandwidth connections among major cities around the world, and sell it to local service providers such as Time Warner Cable and AT&T.

Cleveland is one of the country's biggest Internet hubs, with trunk lines - bundles of fiber-optic cables - running from here to Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C., said Scot Rourke, president and chief executive of Cleveland's broadband initiative, OneCommunity.

The sabotaged trunk line didn't entirely cut people off from the Internet, said Dave Shaeffer, chief executive of Cogent. Instead, Internet traffic was rerouted until the problem was fixed.

That meant slower data transfer times for millions of people who were trying to access information that normally would come through Cleveland.

"The positive thing is that everything worked," Shaeffer said. "Everything kept running."

Adesta reported the incident to Cleveland police Monday morning.

"It appears as though individuals were attempting to steal copper wire," the company said in a written statement.

Another unsuccessful copper theft was attempted Tuesday, when a Massillon man was electrocuted while trying to steal wire from a power substation.

Thieves in Ohio and across the nation are increasingly turning to the highest-quality sources of copper, often found on utility poles and electrical boxes, and then selling the wiring to scrap dealers.

Copper thefts have increased across the nation as the salvage price for the metal has quadrupled, from 80 cents a pound in 2003 to around $3.24.

Bookman
2007-08-26, 08:37 PM
Bookman's list of witty responses

Clearly they were trying to unclog the tubes of the internets

They probably were gonna try on ebay to sell the material but defeated by their own mistake.

I want to buy an Internet and put it in my room!

They clearly were gonna award someone the internet!

Pick your favorite! :wink:

Serpentine
2007-08-26, 08:49 PM
When workers went to fix the underground cables, they found that the coil of replacement cable they brought from a warehouse had been damaged by a gunshot, making it unusable.
:smallconfused:
1. How?
2. Are things being damaged so frequently by gunshots in Cleveland that it's not worth more than a side note and no elaboration?

Samiam303
2007-08-26, 09:07 PM
Sadly, I really can't argue for that being unusual. I mean, not ALL of Cleveland is like that, but enough people get shot in Cleveland that no, I didn't find that too unusual when reading it.

We've had a REALLY bad year in terms of violent crime.

Jack Squat
2007-08-26, 11:24 PM
Lucky...Apparantly so (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/counter-strike-shooting-slowed-by-actual-shooting/)

RAGE KING!
2007-08-27, 12:03 AM
...copper wire thieves?!?

am i the only person who finds that strange?

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-27, 12:12 AM
Well, among people who keep track of the price of scrap metal, it's really not surprising. A couple of years ago, Indianapolis had a rash of manhole cover thefts when the price of scrap steel went up.

Indurain
2007-08-27, 12:20 AM

I pick that one!!

Ego Slayer
2007-08-27, 12:44 AM
I would like to apologize to the City of Cleveland for trying to steal their Internets. I got hungry...

Bookman's list of witty responses

They probably were gonna try on ebay to sell the material but defeated by their own mistake.

I want to buy an Internet and put it in my room!

They clearly were gonna award someone the internet!

Where's the "Ego did it!" option? :smallamused:

Amotis
2007-08-27, 12:54 AM
Copper wire is stolen a lot. Quite the commodity it seems.

I prefer diamonds. For my internet wires, that is.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-27, 12:59 AM
I prefer diamonds. For my internet wires, that is.
Is this like... Pimp My Internet Wires? :smallamused:

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-27, 01:08 AM
Over here, people were stealing the copper caps from the water risers(pipes that the fire department uses to channel water up the building to put out fires, I'm guessing). Each of those copper caps is about as wide as a child's fist, and near an inch in diameter. Cops caught the Copper Crooks though.:smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-08-27, 01:12 AM
No! Precious internets!

ocato
2007-08-27, 01:15 AM
Why can't these people go to Fargodeep and get copper like the rest of us?

tannish2
2007-08-27, 02:21 AM

1. no... i would if they were copper wires, but they were fiber optic cables... that may seem like it would make it seem stranger to me, but i believe in human intelligence.

2. diamond internet cables? they have a high refractive index but wouldnt they be just a LITTLE BIT inflexible?

3. yes, they would be pimped, but instead of normally pimped like most things would get, diamond internet cables would be 1337 pwnageznessismmz 91m93d also you would be branded larges loser ever unless you also invented windows.

4. well they werent retarded enough to get cought by the cops, so they may not have been retarded enough to try to steal copper wire from fiber optic cables ([/sarcasm]maybe... but im not completely sure youve gotta be pretty stupid (or crippled and average brainthinkinesism or maybe just really really really unlucky) to get cought by the cops) they may just be valdalous douches, trying to make the world a better place by inconveniencing everyone. yay.

Totally Guy
2007-08-27, 02:52 AM
We've had the large power cable stolen from work a couple of times for the scrap copper. This has led to a ew days with no electricity and not able to get much work done. We're a bit safer now as it's been buried underground.

Morrandir
2007-08-27, 02:55 AM
Did it not occur to them, that, if it was copper in the giant cord, they wouldn't be alive to harvest it?

Can you fathom the electricity the Internet uses?

Archonic Energy
2007-08-27, 04:01 AM
copper ethernet cables use 5V
perfectly safe to cut through with a chainsaw...

ArqArturo
2007-08-27, 04:23 AM
The worst thing is, the instalation and repair costs even more than a few piles of wire :smallbiggrin: . Also, silver and gold are better conduits, but the time someone sees a golden wire, the moment that wire is no more :haley: .

Samiam303
2007-08-27, 02:06 PM
In the words of Bookman:

Cleveland: Where we cut wires with BULLETS. :biggrin:

That could be one of those motivational posters.

CLEVELAND:
Who needs wire cutters when you've got a 9mm?

Exeson
2007-08-27, 02:23 PM
In the words of Bookman:

Cleveland: Where we cut wires with BULLETS. :biggrin:

That could be one of those motivational posters.

CLEVELAND:
Who needs wire cutters when you've got a 9mm?

That, Kind Sir, just made my day. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-08-27, 02:32 PM
:smallconfused: Huh. That's certainly a weird coincidence - line attacked with a chainsaw, and the backup's been shot up? I wouldn't be surprised if those two items were related.

bosssmiley
2007-08-27, 02:55 PM

Are you kidding? Lot of resale value in stolen materials these days.

We had a bunchy of scallys in Chester stealing the leading off a church roof just last month (something which I thought went out in the 70s). Those particular Scousers were eventually apprehended by a bunch of guys dressed as Roman soldiers. :smallbiggrin:

Cleveland, Ohio: the only place where they reall do try to steal your Intertubes.

Samiam303
2007-08-27, 10:36 PM
:smallconfused: Huh. That's certainly a weird coincidence - line attacked with a chainsaw, and the backup's been shot up? I wouldn't be surprised if those two items were related.
Naw... Living in Cleveland, I can almost guarantee that the gunshot wasn't actually INTENDED for the wire. With how huge the copper theft problem has been here, I'm SURE that's what they were after... nobody was deliberately trying to take down the internet. :tongue: