PDA

View Full Version : Optimization optimized goblin rogue 5e

Richard369
2018-02-03, 09:46 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if I could get any help building an optimized goblin rogue for an upcoming campaign. I've put together a few but I'll defer to you experts.

I keep hearing taking rogue might be a little redundant. Should I go ranger?

Standard point buy for chargen, starting level 1.

Any and all help is much appreciated,

Thank you.

PeteNutButter
2018-02-03, 09:53 PM
It is indeed redundant. The goblin gets two big racial features, one of which is a slightly weaker cunning action. If you're set on playing a goblin rogue go for it. Isn't really much to it. Check out a rogue guide, as your question is too general to give any specific advice.

You have to figure out if the race and class are set. (OP seems to suggest they aren't.) Then figure out if you want to be more melee focused or ranged. If you are open to multiclassing, etc.

bc56
2018-02-03, 10:10 PM
I am about to start a game as a goblin fighter.
Here's the sheet:
Avani (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TC3rim7ztld78fT_b7Maf2APUHzdfVhLg4m_aTzVudA/edit?usp=drivesdk)
The only reason I am not planning to take levels in rogue is because my 2nd rogue level would be next to useless; my strategy will rely on me disengaging and hiding a lot, but not dashing.

However, Goblin rogue is perfectly fine and probably pretty strong. I just wasn't a fan of the trait overlap.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-03, 10:13 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if I could get any help building an optimized goblin rogue for an upcoming campaign. I've put together a few but I'll defer to you experts.

I keep hearing taking rogue might be a little redundant. Should I go ranger?

Standard point buy for chargen, starting level 1.

Any and all help is much appreciated,

Thank you.

Goblins have nice stats for playing a rogue.

However, yes it is redundant.

The best part of Rogue is cunning action.
Goblins already get a very similar version of it.

If you like the idea of small mobile race for rogue I would go kobold, possibly scout subclass.

If it is the goblin side you really want, crossbow expert and either battlemaster fighter or gloom stalker ranger are great.

BoxANT
2018-02-03, 10:29 PM
Fighter (battlemaster)
Criminal background
Dex based
two weapon fighter

goblin "rogue"

bc56
2018-02-03, 11:12 PM
I want to add one more thing. The only real problem with Goblin Rogue is that you don't get anything from 2nd level. Other than that, it's a good combo.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-04, 12:39 AM
going to recommend barbarian and ranger here.

Nice stats for barb tho with point buy you dont get +3 mod. Thats ok though since you'll have better AC and a bit of extra damage. idk if you'll miss that 1 point of accuracy and damage but i doubt it.

Ranger, especially gloomstalker fits like a glove, its like taking 2 levels of rogue for free which every ranger wants anyway, even revised.

Now Rogue is still fine, and yes redundant a little bit, but still good. maybe you'll want to dash for a bonus action one day or some other rogue feature. Goblins tho are the fastest small races i believe..

Tetrasodium
2018-02-04, 01:23 AM
Goblin rogue is a pretty poor matchup, for reasons already named, but... if your GM will let you, a goblin brute (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf) could be pretty awesome & still have heavy armor(if you want) & the fighter bonus feats & fighter multiple attacks