PDA

View Full Version : Making my first wizzard

Gydian
2018-02-03, 11:29 PM
No I am not trying to make Rincewind but I will always think of him every time i think of this class.

I play in 4 games per week and I'm joining a fifth
I have been exploring all the classes I've never played before, and this time its wizardry.

I'm making a Warforged in the Merchants Guild.

I'm looking at abjuration but I'm considering starting with the first level in forge cleric.

with the primary idea of buffing the party what thoughts and ideas do you guys have?

Tiadoppler
2018-02-03, 11:39 PM
If I was building Rincewind, I'd have the feats:

Alertness (always expecting the worst)
Magic Initiate (wizard) for a couple cantrips and Expeditious Retreat
Tavern Brawler for half-brick-filled sock proficiency

The classes would be:

Monk 14 (Drunken Master for flavor and distraction/confusion)
Barbarian 6 (Zealot - 0 cost resurrection because DEATH finds him interesting)

It's all about the +30' movement speed.

Ability scores: High DEX(speed) and WIS(common sense), Medium INT and CON, Low STR and CHA.

Skill proficiencies in Athletics and Arcana.

Edit: Naturally, the Luggage would be a separate PC, an utterly combat min-maxed True Neutral Warforged(or Mimic) Barbarian Grappler Murderhobo.

Gydian
2018-02-03, 11:58 PM
If I was building Rincewind, I'd have the feats:

Alertness (always expecting the worst)
Magic Initiate (wizard) for a couple cantrips and Expeditious Retreat
Tavern Brawler for half-brick-filled sock proficiency

The classes would be:

Monk 14 (Drunken Master for flavor and distraction/confusion)
Barbarian 6 (Zealot - 0 cost resurrection because DEATH finds him interesting)

It's all about the +30' movement speed.

That would defiantly work for the worst wizard on the disk but I'm looking to make someone that does cast spells.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-04, 12:04 AM
That would defiantly work for the worst wizard on the disk but I'm looking to make someone that does cast spells.

Fair enough, I was just having fun with the idea.

I've always thought of Clerics and Bards as being generally better buffers/support characters than Wizards. They've got the class features to support that role pretty directly, while Wizards have to pick their spell list pretty carefully for that. Are you thinking about mostly defensive buffs? What do you imagine your character doing in combat (especially early game)? Mostly cantrips?

Edit: And why'd you have to get me started? Now I'm trying to stat out Ridcully and the Librarian.

Gydian
2018-02-04, 12:23 AM
Take a minute and try to stat out Carrot Ironfoundersson before you do anything else. A man that would give a way any magic items he obtained especially a crown. "One simple sword in the hands of a truly brave man would cut through a magical sword like suet."

I'm worried that as a wizard I'll be to squishy. so i was looking at forge domain and thinking about upping my AC and starting health.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-04, 12:41 AM
Hmm

Carrot Ironfoundersson
LG (durrr...)
Background: City Watch
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Klatchian, Troll
Point Buy 13/12/13/12/12/13
Human (not variant) for the +1 in all stats.
Fighter (Champion)
Skills: Athletics, Persuasion, NOT Bluff, NOT Intimidate, Insight, Investigation, NOT Nature, NOT Survival

Personality: Paladins and Clerics wish they could worship someone with Carrot's sense of duty and morality.

I wouldn't do anything especially exotic when statting out Carrot. He's a charismatic generalist, but most of his greatest accomplishments really boil down to character ("roleplay") or the occasional impressive critical success.

MxKit
2018-02-04, 02:32 AM
I'd say that Forge Cleric with Abjuration Wizard would be a pretty decent combo for you!

As a note, Forge Clerics tend to be Strength + Wisdom based builds, and Wizards are of course Intelligence, and both would need Constitution. So you'd be pretty MAD if you tried to do all of those.

I'd advise not worrying too much about Wisdom; just Wis 13 will let you do the multiclass, so 13 or 14 would be good for you there. Str 15 will give you access to the best heavy armor and an AC of 21 with armor and a shield, but if you don't want to go quite that high you could go either Str or Dex 14 and get 19 AC either way. Intelligence and Constitution are most important for you.

With point buy and your two +1's, I think you could get away with a build like:

STR: 15
DEX: 8
CON: 15
INT: 14
WIS: 13
CHA: 9

Don't even worry about having so many uneven ability scores; it's not ideal at all, but it's unfortunately unavoidable. Just concentrate on pumping your Intelligence, and eventually grabbing War Caster and Resilient (Constitution). With 5 ASI's, you'll have just enough to do everything you need to do: +2 Intelligence three times, plus those two feats for your Concentration checks.

Alternately. You might actually want to mix Fighter and Wizard instead. Not usually ideal unless you want to melee, it will actually make things a lot easier for you stat-wise in this particular instance:

STR: 15
DEX: 9
CON: 16
INT: 15
WIS: 10
CHA: 8

You can raise your Strength and Intelligence first, making yourself pretty decent with melee and spells; you'll raise Intelligence twice more and grab War Caster somewhere in there, and then you won't actually need Resilient because you'll already have proficiency in Con saves. So no putting off something important to your final level ASI. Second Wind from Fighter isn't going to be immensely useful to you except in your first few levels, but 2 - 11 HP recovery once per short rest is definitely not bad to have early-game; more importantly it nets you Con saves, all armor, shields, and the Defense fighting style. You'll be able to have 22 AC once you get plate mail, and your HP won't be all that bad for a Wizard! You can still concentrate on support spells, but can do a strong job of meleeing when/if necessary, or even just getting the hell out of there by shoving enemies.

Also, I have to agree with Tiadoppler that Bards and Clerics are more geared towards buffing the party specifically. I wouldn't advise you to not play a Wizard, though, since you seem to want to explore the idea! You just might want to try playing with a mix of buffs, debuffs, and battlefield control spells; battlefield control is huge and Wizards are amazing at it.

Unoriginal
2018-02-04, 05:54 AM
I know it's not the subject of the thread, but an expy of Rincewind could be an Arcane Trickster.

He has the skills and the survival capacities, and while he's beyond terrible at memorizing spells, Rincewind does have legitimate magical powers, and lots of knowledge on the subject.