View Full Version : Starting at Level 0

Bregleton
2018-02-04, 02:18 AM
So I’ve been DMing for a group of great players but it’s always been high power two concentrations unlimited attunement 4d6 7 times drop lowest and even a skill tree they get points in that makes them more powerful. I feel like I need a hard reset.

They live in a Utopia before the inevitable EVENT they pick their class and race but only have the features that are innate. Basically they’re peasants and have reduced abilities

No weapon or armor proficiencies. Proficiency bonus of 1. No spells (but a full caster will find a way to learn an underpowered d4 cantrip like Spark maybe on a 20 it blinds the target but only 15 ft range). Full skills and tools. Slightly reduced max hp.

I won’t get into the plot more worried about the mechanics here. They all pick their class and will regain all their class features maybe with some trade-offs to make it fun like +4 initiative instead of 1 proficiency bonus. They will start with d4 improvised weapons that break on a 1 and it will be a big deal when they find a real weapon.

I love the idea of them growing from nothing zero to hero. I’m fine with CR and encounters and we’re ok with a couple character deaths on the way.

Never done it like this before looking for input: worried about the low numbers and swingyness, worried about their characters taking the role of peasants and not being bored (I told them if they wrote a background they could roll one d20 and replace any stat)

How do I make it fun attacking with sticks with no class abilities?

Luccan
2018-02-04, 02:38 AM
Are they ever going to be treated like they have PC classes? If not, maybe try this:

Everyone picks their background. This is what they start with the ability to do. Basically, they get two skills, possibly some tool proficiency, and whatever their background ribbon ability is.

Give them reduced point-buy on stats.

Everyone has a d8 hit die. Alternately, they start with two cantrips (only one of which may do damage) and have their hit die reduced to d4. You can alter the damage if you feel it's appropriate.

If they survive long enough to level, let them gain some manner of competence: A weapon proficiency, proficiency with some kind of armor, another cantrip, eventually, maybe, a 1st level spell.

On the other hand, if you just want a weaker party that still feel like they have classes:

Start with no equipment. They have to scrounge. I'd make an exception to allow Wizards a spellbook, personally, but if you don't want anyone picking Wizard, then don't.

Give reduced point-buy or a lower group of starting stats.

Make their enemies tougher than they're used to.

Level more slowly, even as challenge increases.

Basically, make overcoming challenges about being smart rather than having the right spell or class ability.

While I'm fond of zero-to-hero games, I think you're making more work for yourself than necessary. You can weaken your PCs or toughen the challenge without rewriting how the game works (though I'm fond of the backgrounds thing for a "level 0").

Edit: As for making it "fun"? That will mostly rely on player buy-in, how much they trust you, and your ability to keep the game running in the face of potential TPK.

Asmotherion
2018-02-04, 02:58 AM
If you're taking the Lore-Heavy RP Focused Campain approach, this can be amazing.

I've had 2 experiances with this. One as a DM, and one as a player.

As a DM, I just gave the players the option to choose their race, and a couple of skills. Finally they got to choose a class they wished to eventually enter.

I gave them limited benefits from that class. The wizards got a couple of cantrips each and a single spell. The fighter got Proficiency with one Martial weapon, Medium Armor, and a Shield, as well as an FS. The Paladin was more limited than the Fighter, since he had no FS, but had proficiency in Heavy Armor, and his Lay on Hands could heal a single HP per day.

They all got Proficiency Bonuces of +1. They din't get the max value of their 1st level HD until they got to level 1; instead they automatically got half that value (round up). Finally, they started at an age of 12. Their backstory was fully explained with details.

Some time-skips occured obviously, but when you play a character's life story, you grow attached to them.

My other experiance is as a player, in an other system. There, actually getting into a class means you must hit level 3, so technically until then you are level 0. It is quite fun actually, since it gives a lot of oportunity to develop your character into what you want.

PS: Have them feel the preasure, but don't actually put them into real danger until level 1. Moderate everything with a safe amount of plot armour, without actually allowing them to realise it. A single goblin as a solo boss fight, or investigating a house haunted by some Lemures are some very nice challenges for Lv0

Bregleton
2018-02-04, 03:20 AM
Yea I was trying to rewrite too much. Now I’m thinking they start as normal level 1 PCs with no equipment (wiz gets spell book) and we emphasize their backgrounds and do it narratively.

I just want them to feel weak and in constant threat of TPK haha

Quoz
2018-02-04, 05:09 AM
I've played something like this, a 3.5 commoners campaign. Basic setup was that war had ravaged the area, we were the townsfolk who were left over since we weren't even worth drafting. We had to reroll any stat over a 14, no martial weapons or decent armor to be found, ect.

I think it was one of the more memorable games we played because you have to work so much harder. The party almost came to blows over whether to turn in a deserter we captured for a 5gp bounty. When we actually levelled enough to get a feat, I chose to improve my ability to run away over improving combat efficiency.

As a side note, 2 tactics I learned from that game and may still pull out from time to time: trained animals like hounds or horses can be a real force multiplier at low levels; Every hit they take is one that wasn't aimed at you. Also, a blacksmiths shop is likely the most dangerous location in any town. It doesn't matter how tough a monster is, if you can lure it under a smelting pot you can win the fight.

Unoriginal
2018-02-04, 06:27 AM
it’s always been high power two concentrations unlimited attunement 4d6 7 times drop lowest and even a skill tree they get points in that makes them more powerful. I feel like I need a hard reset.

If you want the PCs to be weaker, have you thought about, you know, not do that and follow the standard rules?

One Concentration, 3 attuned item max, 27pt buy/standard array, and no skill tree?

Snivlem
2018-02-04, 07:27 AM
You could consider using (or modifying) something like this: https://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/150652346423/commoner-class-by-kaberu

Ganymede
2018-02-04, 11:09 AM
It'd barely take one session to go from 0 to 1. What is the point of doing this when you could just have a Session Zero that hashes out the PCs humble origins?

rbstr
2018-02-04, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't make it nearly as complicated as you seem to want. You can certainly do a low-powered dangerous campaign by limiting leveling up and making encounters difficult.

If you really like the idea of a level 0, make it simple and have it grow into level 1 pretty naturally. Keep in mind the lore puts a level 1 person as a pretty exceptional person. Even before they'd have a level in some class they'd be more capable than a common person.

What I'd do:
They get their full hit die, like usual at level one, but without their con bonus.
They don't have any save proficiency yet.
Thier proficiency bonus is one
Regular stat allocations however you want to do it. Their highest score is reduced by 2 and thier second highest by 1.
Then for each class that's going to be used make up a level 0 by giving them modified 1st level features. For example:
Martial classes would get their weapon proficiency and armor proficiency but they'd start with the worst applicable versions. Then give them something out of 1st level as a way to differentiate. Second wind, Lay on Hands, a more limited rage ect.
A monk could have martial arts but they would only get 1+mod damage, rather than a d4.
Regular casters might not have weapon or armor proficiencies at all yet. I think one spell per day, max of two known and 2 cantrips.
Warlocks are trickier IMO. Might have simple weapons, 2 cantrips and their 1st level patron feature...but no spell slots at all yet.

Then you can add various things back to them up to level 1 over time or just bump them all the way up to level 1 when you feel it's appropriate.
When they level up to 1 everything is back up to par feature wise with a traditionally made character.

kingheff1
2018-02-04, 01:26 PM
The venerable greyhawk adventures book had some pretty extensive rules for zero level characters which would require some work but could be a very useful template for what you're trying to achieve.

Anonymouswizard
2018-02-04, 02:20 PM
The short answer to making characters weaker is to reduce their numbers. I can understand why you might want to go below the standard power levels, so my suggestions:

-Make players use an array crafted to have lower stats then they're used to. Either standard point buy or lower, 18 points will mean they have to make sacrifices to start with +3s (as a 15 will take half their points).
-Reduce the number of available attunement slots. The standard three essentially allows a set of 'offence, defence, other', three would mean that they have to sacrifice one of those three, a single attunement slot will slide characters towards having a 'signature' magic item.
-Switch to another system. Something based off old BD&D might give you what you want.

If you follow number 3, I suggest either Basic Fantasy (essentially a port of B/X with ascending AC and no 'race as class') or Lamentations of the Flame Princess (which keeps 'race as class' but removes most blasting spells, restricts scaling attack bonuses to Fighters, and suggests going for a more horror feel). But keeping with 5e, remember that power is relative.

Maybe instead of weakening characters and running them against weak enemies, create by the book characters and run them against strong enemies? A 3rd level party will feel weak compared to CR6 demons, and will need to be more intelligent to survive.

Kane0
2018-02-04, 07:32 PM
Remind me of Fable, starting off as some random peasant kid.

Level 0:
Stats as normal (roll, array, whatever)
Race as normal
Background as normal (2 skills, tool or language, some gear)
No class
Proficiency bonus +1
d4 HP (maxed)
No armor or save profs, weapon profs as per wizard

Your average 1/8 or 1/4 CR enemy will be pretty threatening, eg a wolf taking your cattle, but you won't be totally helpless nor totally generic. Races that grant armor, weapons or cantrips would actually be pretty powerful, if you want to minimize swinginess roll 2d10 instead of 1d20.

Protato
2018-02-05, 12:52 AM
I...want to do this, one day. My scenario: The players are peasants who are attacked by sky-pirates and on the way to the evacuation ship, have to fight a few weak pirates to get over there. From there, they might have to dock in a place and from there help out in other ways, maybe with a few more fights here or there and they finally reach their destination and begin properly training to become a combatant.

How I would do this is: 1d6 no Con mod, using the Poor Array + racial bonuses (12, 12, 11, 10, 10, 8). Proficiency Bonus is 1. Skills are only from background. All characters know how to use a Dagger, and an additional simple weapon based on background (for example, someone that hunted might get a Shortbow, someone that split wood would get a Hand Axe, etc). They also possess these weapons. They have no armor except perhaps a Gambeson, depending on background. Someone with magic would get Prestidigitation/Thaumaturgy/Druidcraft depending on background/what they hope to promote to, and a damage spell of some sort. They become a Level 1 character with a proper class later and receive the usual class bonuses.

Asmotherion
2018-02-05, 03:45 PM
Remind me of Fable, starting off as some random peasant kid.

Level 0:
Stats as normal (roll, array, whatever)
Race as normal
Background as normal (2 skills, tool or language, some gear)
No class
Proficiency bonus +1
d4 HP (maxed)
No armor or save profs, weapon profs as per wizard

Your average 1/8 or 1/4 CR enemy will be pretty threatening, eg a wolf taking your cattle, but you won't be totally helpless nor totally generic. Races that grant armor, weapons or cantrips would actually be pretty powerful, if you want to minimize swinginess roll 2d10 instead of 1d20.

Funny you mention Fable, since the Campain I run that started like that was heavily Fable inspired (had it's own variation of the guild of heroes, and the final boss was a Shadow Dragon named Jack Blade (could take humanoid form with the shapechanging Action). Maze was re-named "The Labirinthian" and had a more influantial role in the campain, were he was ultimatelly a good guy traped to do some bad things because of his pact (Wizard/Hexblade Warlock who made a pact with Jack).

WhiteWolf
2018-02-05, 05:34 PM
I ran a low fantasy campaign and had the players start at level 0. The characters were all adolescent and just beginning to start training/developing their skills or powers. I had them all start with their racial and background skills and features, a proficiency bonus of +1 and HP = 5+con mod. When they levelled up to 1st I gave them access to their class features, saving throws, skill proficiencies and the correct HP for a lvl 1 character.
For equipment, I tend to use starting gold anyway so I just let each character pick items that fitted with their background and backstory (I don't use the starting gold by class table either, I base their wealth on their background and prior circumstances).
I found that this was a fairly easy way to represent a character with no class levels yet and allowed an easy transition on to lvl 1.

Psikerlord
2018-02-05, 06:06 PM
I would pick up a DCC funnel adventure (well, any 1st level adventure can be a funnel, just add more monsters/traps). The main idea is players start with 3-4 PCs each (at zero level). It is expected that half or more will die during the funnel. The PCs that survive become level 1. It is extremely fun.

FabulousFizban
2018-02-05, 06:25 PM
might i recommend playing basic or 1st edition? or you could limit your players to the npc classes from pathfinder.