PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 building a frontline. Need help.

Dayaz
2018-02-04, 09:05 AM
So I'm supposed to be joining a group tonight that is in need of a frontline. Being that I love hitting things with greatwords, I thought this was a great opportunity for me.

The problem is that I don't know what my best options are. My first idea was something, either a fighter or warblade, responded as a samurai. Not sure most optimal way to do that outside of PA.

My other idea was to make a wolf totem barbarian/dungeon crash fighter/warhulk. But I know that the UK has a lot of role play stuff in all the games, so the warhulks No Time for Thinking makes me leery.

The group so far is a halting ranger/outsider, a human wu jen/warlock, a human rogue, and some form of cleric. They are level 6.

Any ideas for a flavorful but decently powerful build?

Eldariel
2018-02-04, 09:32 AM
Samurai? Warblade focused on Nightmare Blade line of maneuvers. Optionally add Iaijutsu Focus to taste. Some counters and boosts to boot. White Raven for teammate boosting, Bounding Assault + Leading the Charge + Pounce for Barb, etc.

Dayaz
2018-02-04, 09:42 AM
Samurai? Warblade focused on Nightmare Blade line of maneuvers. Optionally add Iaijutsu Focus to taste. Some counters and boosts to boot. White Raven for teammate boosting, Bounding Assault + Leading the Charge + Pounce for Barb, etc.

What is the nightmare blade line? It doesn't seem to be in ToB.

Eldariel
2018-02-04, 09:50 AM
What is the nightmare blade line? It doesn't seem to be in ToB.

The maneuvers. Sapphire/Diamond/etc. Nightmare Blades. Damage multiplication maneuvers.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-04, 10:18 AM
I've had a lot of of fun with a Wolf Totem/Spirit Lion Barbarian 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Warblade X. Goliath race to qualify for Knockback.
You do good damage with Leap Attack + Pounce, you can trip and every attack throws people around the battlefield and into walls thanks to Knockback. It's great.
At 9th you pick up Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics and the build is basically finished.
After that either take more Warblade or Crusader for more maneuvers or whatever else you want that has full BAB really.

Dayaz
2018-02-04, 10:53 AM
I've had a lot of of fun with a Wolf Totem/Spirit Lion Barbarian 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Warblade X. Goliath race to qualify for Knockback.
You do good damage with Leap Attack + Pounce, you can trip and every attack throws people around the battlefield and into walls thanks to Knockback. It's great.
At 9th you pick up Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics and the build is basically finished.
After that either take more Warblade or Crusader for more maneuvers or whatever else you want that has full BAB really.

9th level or at warblade 9?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-04, 11:06 AM
9th level or at warblade 9?

9th level. Both IHS and WRT are 3rd level maneuvers. Non-initator levels count for half, so taking your first Warblade level at 9 means you have IL 5, enough to get 3rd level maneuvers.
Warblades get 3 maneuvers and one stance at level 1 and IHS and WRT both need one maneuver of their respective discipline as a prerequisite, so it fits nicely.