PDA

View Full Version : Non-Attunement Magic Items: which one is your favorite?

Unoriginal
2018-02-04, 09:53 AM
Hi folks.

I was thinking of magic items, and I wondered: which of the non-attunement ones do you prefer?

Could be one you've used in game, or just that you think is cool based on the description, or any other reason.

LordNibbler
2018-02-04, 10:02 AM
Periapt of Proof Against Poison: Poison can really mess you up. This will let you laugh at the poison spikes in traps and the poison arrows from that damned enemy rogue who keeps kiting you.

Sentinel Shield: you miss out on the AC bonus of a +X shield but you still get the normal +2 AC and can’t be surprised easily. If you’re not the main meat shield in your party, this is a great item.

Caelic
2018-02-04, 10:09 AM
I don't know if I'd consider them my favorites, but the non-attunement flight items are generally at the top of AL wish lists.

DarthPenance
2018-02-04, 10:36 AM
To be honest?
+X Weapons/Armor/Shield, especially armor
It sound boring but the numbers don't lie, it helps a lot, and it frees your attunement slots for other things that are more specific or help in other ways, +X Plate with Displacement Cloak is ridiculous.

bc56
2018-02-04, 01:09 PM
I think the Boots of False Tracks are really fun. Not powerful, just fun.

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-04, 01:16 PM
A dm gave my barbarian a deck of many things with an int of 8 how could i refuse.end of use buffs debuffs ready,got a husband as a follower got stronger. Lost 2 int in additon now int is 6,and have a tower filled with treasure and monsters. Goliath barbarian mever was happier. Drew the wish card.Wished next card drawn was a magic item.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-04, 04:11 PM
AFB, but I think the Boots of Elvenkind aren't attuned.
Which is great, since I like my Heavy Armor, and sneaking is sometimes desired..
Mithral armor is also a good one for that.

I'd be more than happy to get me some Mithral Plate armor. If it's one [of Gleaming] on top of that.. Sign my butt up!

MxKit
2018-02-04, 04:25 PM
The Boots of Elvenkind are really good. So are the Broom and Carpet of Flying, and the Figurines of Wondrous Power.

The Bag of Tricks, Decanter of Endless Water, and Manual of Golems are just fun. I mean, they're also pretty good, but they're so much fun.

Finally, the Sending Strones are neat and flavorful, and the various Manuals and Tomes that raise your ability scores & ability score maximums by 2 are great but also hilarious to me. Especially the "you read a manual about health and diet tips and then magically get +2 Constitution" one.

Avonar
2018-02-04, 04:35 PM
Daern's Instant Fortress. It's just the best.

In a tough fight? Fortress!

Need somewhere safe to rest. Fortress!

Need to bring down a cathedral from the inside and murder a bunch of cultists at the same time? Fortress!

ImproperJustice
2018-02-04, 05:15 PM
The humble Droftglobe is a much sought after item. Our GM puts heavy emphasis on exploration and lighting is very important. We seem to run into situations where that Daylight burst is a game changer too.

Wand of Magic Missiles: It’s a great finisher and usable by anybody.

Goggles of Night: see above about the driftglobe.

Roby of Useful Items: Again, a hearty exploratory aid.

The travelers cloak: its not a core item in this edition, but in past games it would keep you safe from harsh temperatures, had two magic pockets that held jerky and a flask with sugared tea or water. Lastly, it converted to a pup tent on command.
Everyone wanted one just for the flavor.

DarkFather
2018-02-04, 08:54 PM
Carpet of Flying
Ring of Waterwalking

Power over two elements, air, and water!

Vaz
2018-02-04, 09:01 PM
A dm gave my barbarian a deck of many things with an int of 8 how could i refuse.end of use buffs debuffs ready,got a husband as a follower got stronger. Lost 2 int in additon now int is 6,and have a tower filled with treasure and monsters. Goliath barbarian mever was happier. Drew the wish card.Wished next card drawn was a magic item.

Technically, every card drawn from the deck of many things is literally a magic item.

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-04, 09:08 PM
Technically, every card drawn from the deck of many things is literally a magic item.

But is every card a good magic item

Luccan
2018-02-04, 09:32 PM
the Figurines of Wondrous Power.

Always been a favorite, regardless of edition. In a game that ended up dying fairly early, I had a Dragonborn that was helping hunt a Dragon. I couldn't wait to see the look on its face when the dragon-man came charging at it on a giant fly.

Vaz
2018-02-05, 03:52 AM
But is every card a good magic item

It is an object and unaligned, and your post lacked mentoin of its alignment. If by good you meant useful, then everything is useful, if not necessarily to you.

JellyPooga
2018-02-05, 03:56 AM
The travelers cloak: its not a core item in this edition, but in past games it would keep you safe from harsh temperatures, had two magic pockets that held jerky and a flask with sugared tea or water. Lastly, it converted to a pup tent on command.
Everyone wanted one just for the flavour

That's...not a magic item...that's just a regular cloak isn't it?:smallconfused:

sithlordnergal
2018-02-05, 04:39 AM
I would have to say:

Nightcaller: when you're a necromancer you can save a pair of spell slots with this. Plus you can make a pair of zombies or skeletons before you get 3rd level spells

Wand of Magic Missile: This item is GREAT!! Need a bit of extra, no-miss damage to finish off a guy? This will do it. It gets even better if you happen to be a Warlock with Hex.

Sentinal Shield: All the best parts of a Weapon of Warning, none of the attunement

+x weapons and armor: it's hard to beat these things.

DracoKnight
2018-02-05, 04:40 AM
I had a Shadow Monk who had acquired a dragon slayer. My DM allowed me to count it as a monk weapon, even though it was a longsword (the idea being that I'd trained at an Elvish Monastery, since I was a High Elf). Lots of fun, especially when a Dragon Turtle attacked our ship.

DeadMech
2018-02-05, 04:40 AM
Broom of flying. DM let us pick one uncommon non-attunement item. I would not have been able to play my wizard without it in the current party. The Paladin has worse AC than I do and spends half his turns trying and failing to diplomancy enemies including trolls, zombies, sahugin... And refuses to take reaction attacks to hit anything leaving his zone of control to go after someone else. The swashbuckler spends every turn disengaging from the enemy with his cunning action but at least kills things. And the planeswalker bow user will disengage and do nothing every turn an enemy breaths on her. And the DM really gets mad at me when I suggest we play the terrain instead of settling for every white room empty field he wants to throw us into. So I find myself lacking much in the way of meatshields.

So being able to just nope up to 15 feet in the air solves most of my problems. Of course the DM is fond of hold person and other paralyze effects. And the time we ran into enemies that could also fly I was back to square one. Also he thought a DC 15 dex check or fall prone was appropriate every time I take any damage what so ever.

Foxydono
2018-02-05, 09:56 AM
Cloak of the Manta Ray. Because swimming like a Manta Ray is just awesome!

Nod_Hero
2018-02-05, 02:18 PM
Immovable Rod.
Been handy so many times we take it for granted.

Nod_Hero
2018-02-05, 02:24 PM
Cloak of the Manta Ray. Because swimming like a Manta Ray is just awesome!

I may or may not (I SO DID!) have had a death domain cleric who wore black half-plate and used a sunblade to fluff this cloak's "underwater breathing apparatus" to imitate a certain movie character
https://pre00.deviantart.net/4e33/th/pre/f/2015/018/d/9/d9593e874ceff0b8128e7fbac45c9c0d-d8edhkj.jpg

RickAsWritten
2018-02-05, 03:43 PM
The Eagle Whistle from Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. So much fun on a Monk.

Specter
2018-02-05, 03:46 PM
Probably Mithral Armor. No more of me destroying the party's stealth.

Arkhios
2018-02-05, 04:12 PM
There are many, but the best ones are always the classics, and one of my favorites is Cape of the Mountebank

JellyPooga
2018-02-05, 05:01 PM
Broom of Flying or something probably takes the cake as far as pure power goes, but I have a real sweet spot for the humble Driftglobe; everyone underestimates that Daylight effect, but simply having a permanent light source that you don't have to carry is...well, it's just a really cool image. The party Fighter busts out a torch and a flint and steel and starts frantically trying to spark a flame, meanwhile, the Rogue Arcane Trickster pulls out his apprenticeship thesis; a driftglobe, tosses it into the air where it twinkles into gentle illumination and he proceeds forward without delay, no mess, no fuss.