PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] What does "Cloister" do?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 08:20 PM
I don't think any of us have heard of this spell before, but from what Xykon said after he cast it, I assume it does something along the lines of making the city undetectable or something.

I looked up the definition of "cloister" just to be sure, and it said:

Noun "A place, especially a monastery or convent, devoted to religious seclusion."
Verb "To shut away from the world in or as if in a cloister; seclude."

What do you think?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-26, 08:26 PM
Between the definition of the word Cloister, and Xykon saying "Azure City is now off the grid," I'd assume it is a large area anti-scrying, anti-teleportation and quite possibly anti-mundane entering area spell.

So Haley and Belkar may NOT be getting a phone call in the morning! In fact, the "not a booty-talisman" may not work either.

Their problems may just be beginning! (Ya Think?)

K2
2007-08-26, 08:27 PM
The only time I have heard the word was in a RC context, either a monastery or a nunnery. And they have would have to be shut off from the world for the word to applicable.
So, yeah. shut off. away from, so on and so forth.

SteveMB
2007-08-26, 08:31 PM
So Haley and Belkar may NOT be getting a phone call in the morning!

Worse, Durkon and V might conclude that they're dead.... :smalleek:

Axl_Rose
2007-08-26, 08:36 PM
yeap as mentioned above and as I mentioned in another thread Cloister probably has the effect of blocking communication with/detection of Azure City.

V. To shut away from the world in or as if in a cloister; seclude.

Dunamin
2007-08-26, 08:52 PM
It could be a researched spell by Dorukan, tied to his headband as a spell-like ability. I checked in the Spell Compendium and it wasn't there, so its probably not an obscure published spell either...

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 08:53 PM

...And Elan goes crazy. Lovely.

Porthos
2007-08-26, 08:54 PM
EDITED::: Whoops. Should read the whole thread before replying. :smallredface:

I certainly agree with the people who think that it was a spell built into the headband that will cut off communication with the Outside World (which makes sense given Durokan wanting to keep the Gate hidden).

And it certainly might make communication between Durkon and Haley problematic. Looks like they might need a ticket on Air Celia after all. Presuming, as another poster pointed out, that she can even get in. :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2007-08-26, 09:04 PM
I just checked the published spell list (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells). It wasn't made by WotC. So it is either written by a third party or (more likely) it is GitP homebrew, in which case I can't wait to see what it does.

Icewalker
2007-08-26, 09:29 PM
I had assumed something like that, removed from the map and undetectable.

So Haley and Belkar may NOT be getting a phone call in the morning! In fact, the "not a booty-talisman" may not work either.

Oh crap! I hadn't thought of that :smalleek:

RAGE KING!
2007-08-26, 10:32 PM
if the "dorukans spell" theory is correct then maybe v will be able to access them. Xykon managed it after all. Admittedly Xykon is at least level 20 (ECL=24+) but maybe v will manage it...after s/he does have that ringy thingy.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-08-26, 10:46 PM
Between the definition of the word Cloister, and Xykon saying "Azure City is now off the grid," I'd assume it is a large area anti-scrying, anti-teleportation and quite possibly anti-mundane entering area spell.

You're awesome dude! Have you read the Tome of Clear Thought?

Kupi
2007-08-26, 11:04 PM
At least in America, an electrical or telecommunications network is sometimes referred to as "the grid". This is because power and phone cables are all straight lines which, looked at as a whole, form a grid, however irregular it may be. To be "off the grid" means to be unreachable by any such line, and therefore unavailable to normal lines of contact or without power. Combine that with the implication of the word "cloister", and I'd say that Azure City's been shut away from all forms of magical contact. Other forms of magic, such as healing and evocations may still work, but I definitely agree that scrying, divination, and communication spells like Sending have been rendered useless.

dish
2007-08-26, 11:15 PM

Oh crap! I hadn't thought of that :smalleek:

Neither had I. We'll just have to hope that the awesome V can find a way around it. (Or the awesome Haley can find a way out of it.)

bugsysservant
2007-08-26, 11:22 PM
If Elan goes crazy over Haley's percieved death, will he be able to speak correctly? Or perhaps Haley will return to find him seeking solace in the arms of an androgynous elf? :smallbiggrin:

chibibar
2007-08-26, 11:37 PM
Interesting spell. My group usually use similar type spell except we call it "Mass Mask" Spell (yea we made it up about 10 years ago)

It is a spell that pretty much hides away a huge area. It takes a lot of resources and you can tie it to a "central" object that will hold that mask. (aka a ward stone or something)

Basically we kind stole the idea from Dragonlace where the mage towers are "hidden" from the real world. No normal people can get into the area without a special invitation or VERY strong magic.

I am thinking this is a similar thing. Azure City is now cut off from the rest of the world. It maybe even have an invisibility shield to hide the whole city too. (again.. similar spell was done in an old anime call "The Flight of Dragons" good stuff)

Of course such a spell does have some counter measure. A higher being like an Avatar or direct divine intervention would work (assuming they are allow) but I don't think Thor would have any access anytime soon and V is not powerful enough to go against Xykon one on one in terms of power. So the stick might need to get some help after all.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 11:38 PM
Woah. You just gave me a thought - could ELAN go into speaking gibberish?? That would suck, but rock, at the same time. Chaotic Good people are prone to aphasia, or so I've heard.

Helgraf
2007-08-26, 11:48 PM
Communications and scrying prevention would be my primary guess since it's almost certainly cast from Dorukan's [sp?] headband, who would have used it to conceal the location of the Redmountain Gate.

It's remotely possible, though unlikely, that it seperates the area within X radius and transports it to a demiplane with only a single accesspoint on the Prime Material - which would have all the same benefits as the above and render it immune to spells and effects that do not function across planar boundries.

Mr Wizard
2007-08-27, 12:09 AM
The problem with it being a scrying protection is that the Azure City diviner was able to Scry on Durokan's Dungeon. It may be that Xykon deactivated that function so he can spy on the adventurers, or that the owner of the circlet is capable of scrying within the cloistered area.

My own personal belief is that its a Wizards version of the Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm) Cleric Spell, possibly with some unknown greater effects, like the blocking of Message Spells and the selective blocking of scrying spells.

And Belkar should look at the upside of things, now he and Haley have a chance to take a Level in Cloistered Cleric. (*bah dum pish*!) :smalltongue:

Charity322
2007-08-27, 12:26 AM
Note: SoD and OtOoPCs' spoilers. Haven't spoilered then cause this is a spoiler thread, but warning anyway.

Thinking about it I was wondering how the OotS got into Dorukan's castle if he was using ithis spell. Obviously Xykon knows how to work it so if it was disabled once he took over then he could reenable it and probably did so he would be undisturbed.

It sounds almost like the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix in Harry Potter. Noone could get in unless they had been invited by the secret keeper of the order. The house was also invisible to Muggles or the general populace.

In SoD Xykon and Redcloak had to lure Dorukan out and kill him before they could move in. Maybe they had to do that in order to break the enchantment. Xykon couldn't find the location of the Redmountain gate until he found and translated Serini's diary which had the location in it. She knew where the gate was from before when she adventured there.

Also, remember Eugene Greenhilt couldn't find any trace of Xykon while he was looking for him; it was as if he vanished off the face of the earth.

Also the OotS when first looking for Dorukan's castle couldn't find it until they captured goblins who worked there and got the location out of them; i.e. had the secret told to them by those who were in on it. Eugene might have given Roy the information he got off Right Eye on Xykon's whereabouts when he realised that the Blood Oath of Vengeance was going to follow him into the afterlife.

So I think that would mean that only those in the city at the time would remember the location of Azure City and be able to get in or out. I'm not sure though, what do people think?

David Argall
2007-08-27, 01:32 AM
My question would be why is he casting such a spell? As far as he would know, there is nobody from inside the city who is going to bother him by sending a message. He is painted as the baddest dude around. Why would he care who hear that he has taken over the city. Not to mention that he wants to leave the city.
So why would he cast such a spell?

Porthos
2007-08-27, 01:55 AM
My question would be why is he casting such a spell? As far as he would know, there is nobody from inside the city who is going to bother him by sending a message. He is painted as the baddest dude around. Why would he care who hear that he has taken over the city. Not to mention that he wants to leave the city.
So why would he cast such a spell?

If it stops people from teleporting in, then he stops a group of people (say the rest of the Sapphire Guard - or any of their inevitible allies) from porting in to help scout/retake the town. Also, who knows what whacky High Level Magics he has rolled up his sleeve (he might try to probe the Rift to try and learn some secrets from it for example). If he has some mojo coming up, then he'd probably want to keep prying eyes away from what he is doing.

Really, those are the only two options that I can see: Keep people out and stop people from looking in/communicating with any possible resistance groups.

Course, it's kinda hard to speculate since we don't exactly know what Cloister does. But I guess we need something to debate about for the next month or so. :smallbiggrin:

Also, let's not forget that while we know that Xykon is headed to Girard's Gate next, neither Xykon nor Redcloak do. So they have to find something that convinces them that is the next most logical Gate to go after. And we already know that Redcloak wants to know ahead of time the protections of the last two gates. So perhaps the theory of studing the Rift to see what makes it tick isn't so far-fetched after all.

Ithekro
2007-08-27, 02:37 AM
Maybe Xykon just learned the spell (or as he said just found the headband today, and this is not Dourkan's headband like we seem to think it is) and is just trying it out for fun before he rests to get all his spell slots back.

Rethorn
2007-08-27, 02:44 AM
Maybe Xykon just learned the spell (or as he said just found the headband today, and this is not Dourkan's headband like we seem to think it is) and is just trying it out for fun before he rests to get all his spell slots back.

What makes you think that its not Dorukan's headband? Its the exact same graphic. Dorukan visited each of the gates with his friends. Maybe either Xykon had it and forgot about it (He can't remember the OOTS or Roy's name, why would he be expected to remember that?) or found it among their treasury.

Turanar
2007-08-27, 03:00 AM
Does anybody noticed that the "Cloister" spell used a Yellow Magic Aura (like Dorukan's magic aura (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html)) instead of Xykon's Black Aura ...

I think it's definitively Dorukan's headband, and it's an Epic Spell made by him.

Turanar.

kpenguin
2007-08-27, 04:42 AM
I think it's definitively Dorukan's headband, and it's an Epic Spell made by him.

Why would a Dorukon's headband be in a box of Wheaties?

Alex Kidd
2007-08-27, 04:55 AM
Why would a Dorukon's headband be in a box of Wheaties?

He was an epic level hero, presumably he was on the box and that was part of a licencing deal or something.

lord_khaine
2007-08-27, 05:03 AM
it proberly blocks either/and scrying + teleportation, but i doubt it will prevent the use of sending type magic, since thats just about only blocked by a antimagic field.

kpenguin
2007-08-27, 05:15 AM
He was an epic level hero, presumably he was on the box and that was part of a licencing deal or something.

Lame. Xykon should have been eating Soonios. A free sapphire in every box!

Delgarde
2007-08-27, 05:43 AM
So Haley and Belkar may NOT be getting a phone call in the morning!

Yeah, that's what I assumed when I saw it - that the city is now completely cut off from any magical communications. Could be a problem, couldn't it?

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-27, 05:51 AM
Why would a Dorukon's headband be in a box of Wheaties?I'm pretty sure he was just being snarky and didn't actually get it that way. With that in mind, I think he was just making an off handed joke about the fact that sometimes you can get toys at the bottom of your box of cereal.

kpenguin
2007-08-27, 05:53 AM
I'm pretty sure he was just being snarky and didn't actually get it that way. With that in mind, I think he was just making an off handed joke about the fact that sometimes you can get toys at the bottom of your box of cereal.

I was joking. Besides, why would Xykon be eating Wheaties anyway? It's not as if it'll improve his constitution (health). Even if he did eat cereal, he would be eating Soonios. Even a paladin's honor isn't as strong as this taste!

wojonatior
2007-08-27, 08:58 AM
does nobody realise roy's father says "thank you for destroying xykon" what if the headband will kill you if your are evil or not the right wearer so when xykon casted cloister he could have destroyed himself.:smallamused:

Wolfman42666
2007-08-27, 09:16 AM
does nobody realise roy's father says "thank you for destroying xykon" what if the headband will kill you if your are evil or not the right wearer so when xykon casted cloister he could have destroyed himself.:smallamused:

God I hope you’re joking.:smallsigh:

And for David Argall Xykon didn't cast the spell because he thought there were any humans left in the city.

He cast it to keep himself hidden, after all serini and Giriad now know Soon's gate has been destroyed, along with Durokun's and Lirian's if there not suspicious somethings wrong.

Not too mention every other government body in the world.

Lizard Lord
2007-08-27, 11:46 AM

Not only that, but what would Haley think when they don't get that call?
Would it bring back the feeling that they have been truly abandoned when Durkon or Vaarsuvis doesn't come calling?

chibibar
2007-08-27, 12:26 PM
I suck at quote/quote/quote so I'm just going to give my theories for different question posted here. T = Theory

1. Why didn't Xykon cast the spell at Durokon's castle?
T: Xykon didn't think anyone was powerful enough to actually get to him, but once he did find out that adventures are attacking "his" castle, it was already too late.
Also remember that the oracle told them about the castle and thus they had divine help locating it. this is why I said maybe it blocks all evil scrying... I am not sure

2. Why is Xykon casting it now?
T: Xykon realize that there are adventure groups after him and they are kinda pesky. Xykon does not want to be disturb while trying to research on the defenses on the other gate (and learn more about it) I bet Xykon had no clue that Roy, Haley, and Belkar are STILL in the city (that just a bonus)

3. Why does he have to use a circlet?
T: I am guessing it is Durokon's headband. It is similar. Durokon was one of the most powerful spellcaster (Xykon knows this) and I figure Durokon spend some serious resource to create it. Where is the best place to hide a "relic" level item than on the head of the creator? (Durokon's head) Of course after the defeat of Durokon and rummaging his castle. Xykon learn many secrets about the item and probably took it with him.

4. How does Xykon carry these things after being "exploded"??
T: Redcloak. Remember Haley doesn't have ALL the bag of holding ;) I'm sure Redcloak got some too.

David Argall
2007-08-27, 02:22 PM
Xykon didn't cast the spell because he thought there were any humans left in the city.

He cast it to keep himself hidden, after all serini and Giriad now know Soon's gate has been destroyed, along with Durokun's and Lirian's if there not suspicious somethings wrong.

Not too mention every other government body in the world.

So where has Xykon shown any concern about anything like this in the past? He has gone high, wide, and handsome every time we have seen him. He was ok with attacking several countries in order to reach a gate. Hiding is just not an idea that would occur to him.

And from who would he hide? Serini and Giriad? We are talking illusionist and rogue. These are not classes to terrify our lich with. Nor is the spell apparently going to stop them for long. If they can teleport at all, they can teleport close enough to observe the city and then enter it. And both would be sneaky enough to go in and out at will.

And we expect Xykon to be taking his army with him when he goes to the next gate. [It gives him somebody to kill when he gets bored if nothing else.] That means Serini and Giriad will be expecting him anyway and will be aware of his approach.

Xykon does not want to be disturbed while trying to do research on the defenses on the next gate? We have little evidence there is anything able to really disturb him. Nor is there evidence he wants to do any research. That is Redcloud's excuse.

No, there seems no adequate reason for him to be cutting the city off from [magic?] contact.

Chronos
2007-08-27, 03:09 PM
I think it's definitively Dorukan's headband, and it's an Epic Spell made by him.It can't be an Epic Spell. You can't store an Epic Spell in anything short of an artifact. Well, other than a single-use stone tablet "scroll". There's no reason it can't be a non-epic 9th level spell researched by Dorukan, though.

chibibar
2007-08-27, 03:23 PM
It can't be an Epic Spell. You can't store an Epic Spell in anything short of an artifact. Well, other than a single-use stone tablet "scroll". There's no reason it can't be a non-epic 9th level spell researched by Dorukan, though.

Why not? Remember that OoTS follows SOME of the rules (well at least poke fun of D&D rules)

There can be many house rules, GM creation stuff and what not. Remember that in D&D a GM can pretty much make up anything he/she wants. They can follow or not follow the D&D rule books.

If I want to enchant a rubber duckie that upon touching it summons an ocean... I can ;) (well as a GM)

drmike
2007-08-30, 01:33 PM
I actually found this thread via a Google search wondering what Cloister was as well. Surprised to see indexed so quickly.

It can't be an Epic Spell. You can't store an Epic Spell in anything short of an artifact. Well, other than a single-use stone tablet "scroll". There's no reason it can't be a non-epic 9th level spell researched by Dorukan, though.

I think maybe 9th level is too high for that spell. It's not earth changing, affected past history or really at wish level. I'd go 7th or 8th.

Arang
2007-08-30, 01:51 PM
Maybe he wants to hide that the castle is broken and worthless and that as such, he's heading for Girard's gate while everyone thinks he's Cloistered away in AC.

I mean, Redcloak has been able to convince him to do stuff in the past.

Chronos
2007-08-30, 02:16 PM
I think maybe 9th level is too high for that spell. It's not earth changing, affected past history or really at wish level. I'd go 7th or 8th.Well, we don't know how absolute it is in scope. It could be one of those things where "Not even a Wish can penetrate this protection", or the like: That's how Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm) gets to be so high level, for instance. And we do know that it has an absolutely ginormous area: There are very few spells which could cover an entire city. I think Control Weather might, but it's the only one I can think of.

Jasdoif
2007-08-30, 04:12 PM
It can't be an Epic Spell. You can't store an Epic Spell in anything short of an artifact.The headband could be a focus for an epic spell, however. One of those ad hoc mitigating factors.

chibibar
2007-08-30, 04:33 PM
I love it when people say, "You can't do this! You can't do that!" why not? This is a D&D parody (at least to me it is parody like with a great story) a GM (in this case Rich) can change ANY rules he please which coincidentally happen to be the main rule for D&D. The rulebooks are mainly guideline to give GM and players idea what to start with. It gives them basic idea if they can't come up with stuff on their own. ALSO it can fuel some new idea that the book may not even cover.

That is the spirit of D&D that I love so much. MMORPG (computer version) can be fun but it is limiting via the programmer. A single session on a table top can go from a starting campaign to a totally different world (as long the GM can make things up on the fly) by the end of the session.

I remember when D&D basic edition where Elf, Dwarf and Halfling were a CLASS!... of course back then we thought it was cool to have Half-dragon or 1/4 dragon in your family history.... that was not even in the books... (now it is)

David Argall
2007-08-30, 05:29 PM
Maybe he wants to hide that the castle is broken and worthless and that as such, he's heading for Girard's gate while everyone thinks he's Cloistered away in AC.

I mean, Redcloak has been able to convince him to do stuff in the past.

Just who does he want to hide this from? So far we know of nobody who can match the lich. Given Soon did beat him up, there can be such, but our lich has been behaving as if he was the biggest stud around. He seems to have little reason to be hiding.

And just how is he going to succeed? He still has to leave the city and head to Girard's gate. Assuming he takes the army with him, rather likely, he is just not likely to avoid being noticed.

Kreistor
2007-08-30, 05:40 PM
The less anyone knows the better, no matter how powerful you are. Sun Tzu said it: know your enemy and yourself and you will never lose. Know yourself but not your enemy, and you will lose half the time. Xykon's just making certain nobody knows exactly what he's doing so that no one knows what to expect. X is fully aware that a massive fleet exited the city, and it's reasonable for him to he expect them to come back.

And X just about died. He may not be as arrogant and overconfident as previously seen. It's okay for the bad guys to learn from their mistakes.

The most I would expect of Cloister is a disruption of magical detections and communications. It sounds like a spell to make people feel safer, which a cloister often acted as -- a safe spot in the middle of chaos.

Jasdoif
2007-08-30, 05:57 PM
The most I would expect of Cloister is a disruption of magical detections and communications. It sounds like a spell to make people feel safer, which a cloister often acted as -- a safe spot in the middle of chaos.I'd expect it to block teleportation and similar effects (like planar travel) as well, for the same reason.

chibibar
2007-08-30, 06:10 PM
also Xykon thought this was going to be "easy" to take Azure city with his army, but they lost like what? only 1/4? I can't remember. top that off there was an epic character defending this gate. Who knows what other "stuff" might come. Xykon knows that a lot of people fled the city. They might come back and try to retake it, this will disrupt his studies or his TiVo movie watching time :) either way.... he wants to hide away and rest up and get ready for the new day of world domination.

SadisticFishing
2007-09-08, 06:33 PM
For some reason, the big HUMMMMMMMMMMMM at the bottom of the castle, and the smoke rising gave me the impression the city was taking off. Like, think Emerald Isle in Sonic.

the_tick_rules
2007-09-08, 07:15 PM
i kinda hope it isn't, seems a bit way too intuitive for xykon and bit 4th wallish. not that OOTS hasn't broken the 4th wall before, but doesn't feel right if somehow xykon knew to shield the city.

kirbsys
2007-09-08, 07:20 PM
I'm kinda thinking something along the line's of what Halaster had cast all over the Undermountain to stop teleportation scrying and the like.

someonenonotyou
2007-09-08, 08:06 PM
ooh i thought he was destorying it like nothing left just a big hole in the ground because he was bored or wanted to try out his new "toy":smallbiggrin: maybe it like a clokeing divice that will make it look like some thing or just a big shield?

Rakleb
2007-09-08, 08:36 PM
So your saying theres a Hinjo fan club just cause *stab* HA!

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-08, 08:42 PM
I don't get that post at all. But I didn't know there was a premade Belkar avatar!

"HalflingRangerGuy" if you keep the mouse over it for long enough. Why isn't "BardGuy" Elan? :(

Edit: Son of a mother father. RogueGirl is Haley. I'm pissed that BardGuy isn't ELAN!!!!!

Edit 2: And DwarfClericGuy is an uncanny resemblance of Durkon. Sigh.

Edit 3: And GreataxeFighterGuy is Roy with a greataxe.

Rakleb
2007-09-08, 08:45 PM
Hey anyway what is a cloister some guy told me its a spell so I'm going to call it that.I think it makes cool lightening stuff I think V did it once but it might have been Durkon never know too bad.

Sc00by
2007-09-09, 11:20 AM
Hey anyway what is a cloister some guy told me its a spell so I'm going to call it that.I think it makes cool lightening stuff I think V did it once but it might have been Durkon never know too bad.

Can someone translate that into English please?

And I'll agree with the majority; AC is now 'hidden' from - I'd guess - Magical communication (scrying and message sending).

Though I'm with David Argall in not understanding WHY Xykon would do this - it seems to be very out of character. Though no doubt all will be explained in due course

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-09, 11:25 AM

And I'll agree with the majority; AC is now 'hidden' from - I'd guess - Magical communication (scrying and message sending).

Though I'm with David Argall in not understanding WHY Xykon would do this - it seems to be very out of character. Though no doubt all will be explained in due course

Translation of: Hey anyway what is a cloister some guy told me its a spell so I'm going to call it that.I think it makes cool lightening stuff I think V did it once but it might have been Durkon never know too bad.

Hey, so anyways, what IS a cloister? A guy that I know told me it's a spell, so I guess I'll go with that. I think it makes cool lightning stuff. Didn't V do it once? Or was it Durkon? I'll never know. Too bad.

It still makes no sense. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-09-09, 12:56 PM

I believe he was talking from Xykon's perspective. In essence, "Oooh, what does this button do?"

As for why Xykon would cast it: He may be an idiot, but he's not stupid. He should know by now that the gates are defended by powerful forces, and he very nearly got permanently destroyed (note that, as a lich, hearing somebody about to destroy you telling you exactly where you keep your phylactery has got to be the only event that can cause you true fear). At the very least, he'll want to keep this Cloister up until he's converted the ruins into a proper "urban battlefield dungeon."

mause
2007-09-09, 01:42 PM
At the very least, he'll want to keep this Cloister up until he's converted the ruins into a proper "urban battlefield dungeon."
yeah!
Xykon doesn't want AC but get so many minions to the other gates seems imposible I guess he'll leave part of the hobgoblins army (and someone in charge) in AC.

David Argall
2007-09-09, 03:08 PM

I am still saying that the reason why Xykon cast this spell is entirely unapparent, but our clear and easily understood post may give an excuse.

Xykon: "Hmm, what does this toy of that mage I killed do? It can cast Cloister? What is that? Never heard of that spell.
"Ok, let's find out by casting it. What if that destroys the city? You know, that would be downright neat. Probably doesn't tho. ..."
Later...
"Hmm... It seems to disrupt all sorts of magical communication. Not too useful for me, but I suppose there is no reason to end the spell."

But I would still say there is no known foe that the lich would fear spying on him and who would be slowed down, much less stopped, by this spell. So either way, we need an explanation strip some time, probably soon.