PDA

View Full Version : Zombies or skeletons?

TheElfLord
2007-08-26, 09:01 PM
I would do this as a poll, but I don't know how.

What is everyone's favorite cheap, weak massproduced mindless dead? And why?

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 09:02 PM
I prefer Skeletons, because it is too easy to just ignore zombies.

JellyPooga
2007-08-26, 09:04 PM
Skellies get my vote for the simple fact that they smell less and are therefore more socially acceptable (nothing's worse than smelly minions when you have an audience with the King/Duke/Baron/etc.)

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-08-26, 09:06 PM
Zombies, because you can give them armor and such and put explosives in them and people won't know.

Dausuul
2007-08-26, 09:08 PM
I would do this as a poll, but I don't know how.

What is everyone's favorite cheap, weak massproduced mindless dead? And why?

If we're talking D&D 3.5E, I pick skeletons. Zombies are too frickin' slow.

JackMage666
2007-08-26, 09:18 PM
Fast Zombies, variant from Libris Mortis.

If that's not available, Skeletons. Firey Skeletons, from Libris Mortis, if available.

Seriously, look at the Skelly and Zombie variants in Libris Mortis. They. Are. Awesome.

JellyPooga
2007-08-26, 09:23 PM
Fast Zombies, variant from Libris Mortis.

If that's not available, Skeletons. Firey Skeletons, from Libris Mortis, if available.

Seriously, look at the Skelly and Zombie variants in Libris Mortis. They. Are. Awesome.

No rules for creating them though...presumably you'd have to use a better spell than just Animate Dead; maybe something like Animate Augmented Undead or simply Augment Undead (which you'd cast on already animated Undead to add the 'Fiery' or 'Fast' template to your skellies/zombies).

bosssmiley
2007-08-26, 09:24 PM
Skellys! for great Harryhausen justice! :smallcool:

Sure zombies are ok, I suppose. But they don't have quite the same maniacal glee to their undeathly hatred for the living that skeletons so often manifest.
Plus, skeletons in antique armour = win.

Icewalker
2007-08-26, 09:24 PM
I homebrew all my stuff, even though I know there already is an official version.

Homebrew zombies! I slightly prefer them to skeles. Mine aren't uber-slow.

Mainly if I use zombies, they are Dread Zombies, the first stage of the Dread Plague which you can see in a link in my sig.

kpenguin
2007-08-26, 09:33 PM
Skeletons FTW!

reorith
2007-08-26, 09:51 PM
are there any other mindless undead? i'm all for a phalanx of skeletons marching on some helpless village.

Dhavaer
2007-08-26, 09:55 PM
Urban Arcana's liquefied zombies for a really creepy win. Those things are just revolting.

Burrito
2007-08-26, 10:03 PM
Zombies, all the way, no question. They have character: Oh look, maggots crawling out of my face! They can communicate: "Brains!" They like the beach: "Hey, voodoo up some zombies mon. An well go down to Negril!" And they make great decor: Animate you dead enemies, chain them up along the walls of your great banquet hall, and have them scream for all eternity. It's a Ty Pennington/Necomancy Makeover! They are great for practical jokes: Necromancer kid animates the Christmas Goose just before dad carves into it in front of the whole family. Hilarity ensues.

Seriously, zombies, think about it.

JackMage666
2007-08-26, 10:11 PM
I still say Fast Zombies. Fast Zombie Black Dragons!

As a DM, creation rules don't matter, only how effective they are against PCs. And Fast Zombies are effective!

As a player... Beg your DM for creation rules.

JellyPooga
2007-08-26, 10:22 PM
Zombies, all the way, no question. They have character: Oh look, maggots crawling out of my face! They can communicate: "Brains!" They like the beach: "Hey, voodoo up some zombies mon. An well go down to Negril!" And they make great decor: Animate you dead enemies, chain them up along the walls of your great banquet hall, and have them scream for all eternity. It's a Ty Pennington/Necomancy Makeover! They are great for practical jokes: Necromancer kid animates the Christmas Goose just before dad carves into it in front of the whole family. Hilarity ensues.

Seriously, zombies, think about it.

But skeletons are hygenic and come in flat-pack or ready built format. If you're creative, you can mix'n'match too. What better to creep out potential invaders with the silence of a skelton as it rushes to the attack? Dastardly adventurers broken your wine rack again? Bring that skeleton squad off guard duty and send it down to the cellar whilst your army of darkness procures a new one; rib cages are surprisingly roomy. Stuck for a ladder and really have to get up that cliff? Bones McGee here and his skeletal friends make an excellent substitute. This is but the tip of the iceberg.

Seriously, skeletons, think about it :smallwink:

LordVader
2007-08-26, 10:24 PM
Meh, I prefer Zombs. Skellies are just too fragile. Nothing like a solid layer of unfeeling flesh for armor.

Drider
2007-08-26, 10:25 PM
Zombies if you want the players to fear being "cannibalized" or skeletons if you want to dress them up like a lich to mess with players minds.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-26, 10:29 PM
I prefere skeletons, they're like skinny zombies, but faster.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-26, 10:39 PM
I think I'm going to have to say Zombies. There's more you can hide in a zombie. Bombs, Poison, Knives, Intelligent/Animated Morning Star, a skeleton (well okay that's a bit of a stretch. Demilich perhaps?), spell book, symbol of insanity, portal ready to open to the far plane...

All kinds of crazy stuff you can conceal in a Zombie. But Skeletons are a lot harder. Your only chance is to put the Skeleton in a cloak or something.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-27, 04:25 AM
Hmm...both have their advantages. Zombies can fly, so if I was raising Raptorans or something similar I'd go with Zombies. Skeletons are immune to cold damage and can move at normal speeds, so a general footsoldier would be better done by them. Overall I'd take either one, with the appropriate Corpsecraft feats :wink:

Kurald Galain
2007-08-27, 07:06 AM
Skels, because zombies are wasted by too many B-horror movies.

UserClone
2007-08-27, 07:26 AM
Spellstitched zombies Skeletons!

PlatinumJester
2007-08-27, 07:29 AM
Zombies. Destroying skeletons is no where near as satisfying.

Leon
2007-08-27, 07:52 AM
Skellies for minions
Zombies for Killing

Trouvere
2007-08-27, 09:28 AM
Please. Fillet your standard peasant corpse, dry the outside bits until they're leathery tough. Then animate yourself a skeleton and a boneless husk. Two undead servants for the cost of one (peasant, not material component), and no problems with zombie stains all over your carpets. It's what all the fashionable necromancers are doing this year.

Seriously, is there such a creature in any book?

goat
2007-08-27, 09:31 AM
Zombies you've set on fire.

CrazedGoblin
2007-08-27, 09:36 AM
Skeletons, in my first campaign they played a huge part in the major puzzles

The 4 Elements
Skeletons

are my two favorite things to put in a campaign :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-27, 02:30 PM
Skeletons. Actions are D&D's most valuable resource. Plus, a Zombie Minotaur killed one of my better characters. Jerk.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 02:35 PM
Zombies.

I mean, how can the PC's know that the undead attempting to chew off their ear is the beloved barkeep they got plot hooks from for 5 levels if he's just bones?

Zim
2007-08-27, 03:09 PM
Zombies. They just have more personality. Nothing more morale breaking than the re-animated corpses of your loved ones. Fun times. :smallwink:

There was an old rules suppliment that I had with a zombie reaction table. It went something like this:
1-25: Cold state
26-50: Blank Stare
51-75: Fixed Stare
76-100: Empty Stare

Wolf_Shade
2007-08-27, 03:23 PM
I like skeletons. They're just less plausible than zombies. That, and you'll not find an old cartoon with a zombie using itself as an insturment. Gotta love the ribcage xylaphone.

technomage
2007-08-27, 03:32 PM
skeletons, they don't stink as much as zombies :smalltongue:

puppyavenger
2007-08-27, 06:43 PM
skelatons, unless your uing winged criters in wich case zombies.

Harold
2007-08-27, 06:47 PM
I like them both I mean there both good to kill and stuff but I think i like zombies more.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-27, 06:56 PM
Skeletons: They're on half price.

Get yer' skeletons today! Twice as many, more hygenic, and faster!

God_of_Luck
2007-08-27, 11:50 PM
Skeletons. They have DR 5/bludgeoning.