PDA

View Full Version : Rogue concept assistance

Humkin
2018-02-04, 05:21 PM
For a 5th level character, there are two primary elements I would like to have for a Rogue: Find Familiar & Elven Accuracy feat (Xan).

The main problem i am having is that the build is limited to an elf or half-elf, which precludes a needed Human Variant feat. And I would prefer not to take the arcane trickster as I will be trying to boost Dex and Wis.

Suggestions? Open to replacing Find Familiar if there are other effective ways to trigger advantage attack rolls throughout an engagement.

JellyPooga
2018-02-04, 05:42 PM
Intelligence is by no means essential for an Arcane Trickster. Most of the best spells an AT wants are not Int dependant and Magical Ambush can make up for a less than stellar Int (or enhance a good one). If magic items are on the table, a Headband of Intellect becomes a massive boon for the AT with lower Int. Going with a starting stat-line of S/D/C/I/W/Ch : 8,16,14,12,14,10 (including Wood Elf racials) is a pretty solid AT set up.

the secret fire
2018-02-04, 06:12 PM
There are plenty of ways to get advantage on attack rolls for the Rogue, simply using Cunning Action to hide being the most prominent among them. The old saw of the owl familiar is a tired tactic, and not even all that reliable, as it's likely to get shot down by any minions you might face with ranged weapons. With a casting time of an hour, losing your familiar will often mean you've effectively lost him for the day.

Given your stated preferences, I'd suggest a wood elf with a single level dip as a light cleric. This will give you access to faerie fire twice a day, which is a much more reliable way of generating advantage (when you can't by simpler means), and helps the whole party. A one level dip will still give you the Rogue's ASI at 4th level, where you take Elven Accuracy. Choosing the Assassin subclass gives you another easy way to generate advantage (in the surprise round). If you must have a familiar, you want Elven Accuracy by 5th level, and don't want to play an AT, the only way to do it will be a one level dip as a wizard, which will require a 13 Int. Otherwise, you'd have to burn a feat on Magic Initiate, and you've only got one, so that means EA is out.

tl;dr: Find Familiar cheeze is probably not worth your trouble here.

Humkin
2018-02-04, 06:17 PM
Intelligence is by no means essential for an Arcane Trickster. Most of the best spells an AT wants are not Int dependant and Magical Ambush can make up for a less than stellar Int (or enhance a good one). If magic items are on the table, a Headband of Intellect becomes a massive boon for the AT with lower Int. Going with a starting stat-line of S/D/C/I/W/Ch : 8,16,14,12,14,10 (including Wood Elf racials) is a pretty solid AT set up.

The Elven Accuracy gives a +1 Dex so I would opt for 17 Dex to start to gain bonus at lvl 4 (Wood Elf +2 Dex). Curious to know your thinking for stats you have listed.