PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a "Fishing village with a dark secret" module

The Cats
2018-02-04, 05:23 PM
Just completely blanking on the names of anything that would make this easy to find.

An adventure module about a small fishing village that has ties to a dark ocean god/demon/whatever. Involves half-human fishy hybrids. Original plot was in that one book by that one author who wrote about a lot of tentacley monsters? (Yeah my brain is just really not working well right now)

To clarify: Not looking for a specific module, just one that has that theme. I'm playing 5E DnD in the 6-10th level tier but any system or level works, I'd just like a solid framework to build off of.

Really hope your collective brains aren't farting as much as mine is right now. Bonus points if you can tell me what frickin book by what frickin author I'm thinking about cause that's gonna drive me crazy. I wanna say Lovecraft but I keep thinking naw it's one of the other guys who wrote similar stuff.

Consensus
2018-02-04, 05:30 PM
The story you're thinking of is "The Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft iirc
Don't know about any modules though

Mr Beer
2018-02-04, 05:42 PM
There this one, don't think it's particularly Lovecraftian though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_at_Dunwater

Wasteomana
2018-02-04, 11:34 PM
The module The Last Breaths of Ashenport from Dungeon Magazine issue 156 would work excellently with this. Not sure if I am allowed to link a pdf of it, but google can do wonders.

Black Jester
2018-02-05, 02:25 AM
First of all, here is the text of the original novella (http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx). Fair warining though: Innsmouth is one of the major works of HPL where his racism is quite obvious. That can significantly reduce your enjoyment of the story, if you take Creepy Howie at all serious. I would recommend that you don't.

Your best choice for an adventure like this are definitely a few Call of Cthulhu adventures/campaigns, for obvious reasons. The most relevant for this are:

Before the Fall: Life in a fish-thing breeding ground city. It contains 3 somewhat repetetive scenarios of growing realisation that something is very wrong in ugly old Innsmouth.

Escape from Innsmouth: This book contains a more detailed desctiption of the town, the great reveal of the Deep Ones and, in the second half, the Raid on Innsmouth, bascially a series of Vignettes of how to fight against the fishmonsters on location. It's trash, but of the fun kind.

Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island: Highly derivative of the original story, making it by default the best of these scenarios under the premise that the players don't know the original novella. It is a decent introduction adventure to CoC for unfamiliar players.

My personal favorite of the Deep One Adventures is Bless the Beasts and Children in the pretty good adventure anthology Adventures in Arkham Country (the first scenario therein, A Happy Family is another favorite). This is a less deviative scenario than the others, and thus can be played really well as a follow-up to one of the more traditional Innsmouth scenarios.

DrMartin
2018-02-05, 08:28 AM
The Styes and the Weavers from Dragon magazine, both from Pett.

Scenic Dunnsmouth for lamentation of the flame Princess - as the name implies is equal parts dunnwich and innsmouth

As an inspiration - an old episodes from the one shot podcast: look for " scooby doo chtulhu ". I promise, it's quite good :)

The Cats
2018-02-05, 08:37 AM
Woop! That was quick! Thanks everyone. Bonus points for Black Jester and Consensus!

I have a big stack of Dungeon Magazines gifted by a retired Grognard so I'll dig through those, see if I have #156.

I've never played Call of Cthulu before but I'm pretty sure my upstairs neighbor was super into it at some point so I'll see if he might have some material I can borrow to get some more help with the tone.

We're doing a long-running campaign where I'm trying to run through as many different horror genres as we can. So far they've done a supernatural murder-mystery, a satan baby plot, a haunted house, a zombie/ghoul uprising, and we're about to get into a hills have eyes style gorror bit. All of this is somehow connected to a hammer horror Mad Doctor (tm)'s experiments, of course.

If anyone has suggestions for other horror themes I could touch on throw em at me. Probably won't get to them in-game for upwards of a year though. We move pretty slowly.

Zombimode
2018-02-05, 09:47 AM
I have a big stack of Dungeon Magazines gifted by a retired Grognard so I'll dig through those, see if I have #156.

In this case you are probably out of luck for two reasons:
1) Any self-respecting Grognard would not have any 4e publications nearby :smalltongue:
2) Like all of the 4e-era Dungeon Issues, being digital-only does not lend itself well for bein stacked :smallamused:

But the idea is a very fitting hook for a PnP Adventure. I've done my own adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth many years back. Was a blast.

I definitely reccomend reading the source material.

The Cats
2018-02-05, 09:57 AM
In this case you are probably out of luck for two reasons:
1) Any self-respecting Grognard would not have any 4e publications nearby :smalltongue:
2) Like all of the 4e-era Dungeon Issues, being digital-only does not lend itself well for bein stacked :smallamused:

But the idea is a very fitting hook for a PnP Adventure. I've done my own adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth many years back. Was a blast.

I definitely reccomend reading the source material.

Huh. Surprisingly you are correct: I do not have a physical copy of a magazine for which no physical copies were created. I will be writing an angry letter. Sounds like communism to me.

Kurald Galain
2018-02-05, 12:43 PM
Feat of Ravenmoor (paizo.com/products/btpy8mw2?Pathfinder-Module-Feast-of-Ravenmoor) is a good one.

Wasteomana
2018-02-05, 04:05 PM
Huh. Surprisingly you are correct: I do not have a physical copy of a magazine for which no physical copies were created. I will be writing an angry letter. Sounds like communism to me.

Luckily the digital copy is extremely easy to obtain.

curious-puzzle
2018-02-05, 05:53 PM
"The Styes" in Dungeon 121 and "The Weavers" in dungeon 138 are also awesome adventures (and the location they're set in) with the sort of vibe you're looking for.

Psikerlord
2018-02-05, 05:54 PM
The module The Last Breaths of Ashenport from Dungeon Magazine issue 156 would work excellently with this. Not sure if I am allowed to link a pdf of it, but google can do wonders.

Yep this is the module you're thinking of OP. It's great.