PDA

View Full Version : magic item help, items that benifit the team

death390
2018-02-04, 07:39 PM
I recently got 10k worth of gems in my last play session along with an armory and several magic items [i got volunteered to go down a tunnel alone]. i distributed all but 1 magic item to the rest of my team and gave them all the copper/silver to the remaining member who didn't get anything.

that said i now have 10k of gold to spend on magic item(s) to benefit my whole party (i would just hand out the cash but according the rules THEY set up its finders keepers for loot [i still gave them magic weapons from the hoard]. i know several items that benefit the whole party but i am still looking for other gear to help us all.

We are lvl 3 (i took on a CR 4 water elemental alone btw) playing an E6 campaign.

what i am looking at so far:
unlimited use command item of Lesser Vigor (keep reapplying to pary for fast healing, 11 rounds) 1,800g
bag of holding type 1/2 2,5000-5,000g

a couple blessed bandages 10g each (for when the healer(s) go down. 10g
Bag of Endless Flames (a summon & produce flame, 3 produce flames, or fire IMMUNITY on a daily refresh sign me up, produce flame works well for trolls/regeneration [usually]) 3,500g
Rod of silence (1/day silence for when we need to sneak somewhere, +30ft cone 5d6 sonic spell & 2d6 min of deafness DC 16 fort save) 4,000g

EDIT: Command item for: Shield, Personal Weapon Augmentation (1min cast is bad with 7 ppl though), Resist Energy, Alter self, blur, expedious retreat, fly (duskblade 2), spell storing item (any 0 lvl for 1xp &DC21 check), unseen servant,
Gloves of Object Reading (3000 GP, MIC)
Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP, MIC)
Qualls feather token: tree, swanboat, whip (varies)
Testing Chalice (4,000g A&EG) test liquids for a understanding of what they are (not specific)
Talisman of the Disk 1/day (3hours) tensers floating disk. 500g (unlimited variant would be 2,500g [500*5/1])

Shelters
Daerens instant tent 9,000g
Cloak of Shelter (12080 GP, A&EG)

if have spellcaster
Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC)
Pearls of Power (varies, DMG)

ignoring
endless rations/ replenishing skin/ food/water replacements (not worth it when food/water can be gotten with survival check)

Jiece18
2018-02-04, 07:52 PM
A Wand of Mage Armor came in handy during my last game. Can last for a few hours depending on caster level of the wand and anyone can enjoy a +4 AC bonus.

SirNMN
2018-02-04, 08:05 PM
I like the handy haversack over bags of holding as you can put sharp objects inside and if let you retrieve things easier

death390
2018-02-04, 08:30 PM
i considered the haversack but BoH carry more.

as for a wand: mage armor doesn't work unless they arn't wearing armork (monk/barb) or weak armor since armor bonus doesn't stack. though a unlimited use item of Shield spell could work, its min/lvl so even as CL 1 it wouldn't be too bad (1800g for 1 min, 3600g for 2).

another spell possible would be the Artificers Personal Weapon Augmentation. have all my team Use the item to enhance thier weapons.

Fizban
2018-02-04, 10:14 PM
unlimited use command item of Lesser Vigor (keep reapplying to pary for fast healing, 11 rounds) 1,800g
Custom items are custom, ask your DM.

Daerens instant tent (ExDim tent) 9,000g
The tent isn't extradimensional, just collapsible.

Drums of marching (+4 con on forced march. +2 to the check) 1,100g
Forced march is a trap, read up on Hustling in overland travel: you can get the same benefit as a couple hours of forced marching by hustling instead.

Bag of Endless Flames (a summon & produce flame, 3 produce flames, or fire IMMUNITY on a daily refresh sign me up, produce flame works well for trolls/regeneration [usually]) 3,500g
The Bag of Flames grants "immunity" for 60 points of damage only, its the same as a 3rd level Protection from Energy spell

Rod of silence (1/day silence for when we need to sneak somewhere, +30ft cone 5d6 sonic spell & 2d6 min of deafness DC 16 fort save) 4,000g
Ring of Silent Spells is better for combat, has 5/9 the duration, and is less than 1/4 the price- and ask yourself how often you're actually going to use that longer Silence or that Shout.

Command item for: Shield, Personal Weapon Augmentation (1min cast is bad with 7 ppl though), Resist Energy,
More custom items attempting to undercut printed items. You should look at Eternal Wands (MiC) and Drow House Insignia (Drow of the Underdark), which are at least technically printed while leaving spell choice open or possibly open.

endless rations/ replenishing skin/ food/water replacements (not worth it when food/water can be gotten with survival check)
Survival cuts your overland speed in half: you're willing to spend 4,000 on boosting the forced march trap but nothing on removing this penalty?

Try a Rod of Bodily Restoration for something that will almost certainly save lives and spells if you ever fight shadowy undead or poison. If you want a kitchy problem solving item, Rod of Escape has a bunch of effects for dirt cheap. For food and shelter, the Traveler's Cloak from Magic of Faerun is the most efficient, providing enough food and water for two people in addition to Endure Elements for one and turning into a tent for one- but if you need a tent you can just put a tent (or a portable shelter from Frostburn) in a Bag of Holding and use an Unseen Servant from another item to set it up.

Spellguard Rings from Complete Mage would let you perform fireball centered on my ally maneuvers, while a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll would let the arcanist avoid sleep so you can forced march enough to matter (note that it does not free you from the limit on spells cast in the last 8 hours- it just lets you get away with doing something else during that time). A Banner of [Alignment] from Heroes of Battle gives the much-coveted "continuous Protection from Evil" effect to everyone in 30' for way less than it should- as long as you have someone using a spear or lance to attach it to and they don't fall in battle, while the simple DMG Horn of Goodness and Evil gives you Magic Circle 1/day for a bit less.

If overland movement is a thing, make sure everyone's on good horses first, then look into sources for the spell Traveler's Mount from SpC to more than double their overland speed- the easiest and cheesiest is the Drow House Insignia. When overland movement is a thing, camping is usually a thing: there's practically no 1st party items that set alarms worth squat, but paying someone to cast Magic Mouth on a few sticks with the right instructions and a password will do the job.

death390
2018-02-05, 04:09 AM
actually i should say this is a 7 man party, myself as swordsage, cleric (only healing spells, more melee than mage), 3 rangers (2 archery 1 TWF), monk (dies often), TWF rouge.

no mages in the group. (i can't build one weak enough in the party without being completely useless, that was with several builds including Buffer/ BFC builds)

however i am faster than the rest of the group by a large margin, with a decent survival check i can still move their land speed AND forage/ look for traps (trapfinding homebrew trait from dndwiki)/ ect.

all the "custom" items are eternal wands with the charger/day upped to 5/day which is = to unlimited. then made unlimited. and odd thing about those wands is that they dont need UMD they are command word items not spell trigger. DM is fine with 90% of the custom items, and even helps build some of them.

thank you for saying the drums are a trap though, that helps. the fire immunity thing is good, its E5 campaign not much fire damage, but when useful is useful.

i did look at bodily restoration and the mental version, it could be useful like you said in case of poison.

Darrin
2018-02-05, 12:48 PM
Seconding the Rod of Bodily Restoration and Orb of Mental Renewal. Some other suggestions, in no particular order:

Artificer's Monocle (1500 GP, MIC): Turns a cantrip slot into a free identify spell.

Gloves of Object Reading (3000 GP, MIC): I oversold this item a bit when I named it as one of the Fabulous Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8). If you go strictly by the book, these gloves only reveal the previous owner's race, gender, age, alignment, and how the object was gained and lost. You don't get to keep asking an infinite number of "20 questions" to nail down the owner's food allergies and Netflix password. However, even though the information is limited, that's still quite a lot of information that can reveal some key clues about doors, traps, puzzles, and other typical dungeon furnishings.

Gremma's Cauldron (5000 GP, Expedition to Undermountain). This one requires some discussion with the DM on how it works, but assuming that discussion goes well, you can use this to convert scrolls (spell-completion items) into potions (spell-storing items anyone can use). It's not clear if *any* scroll can be converted into a potion (hence the need for discussion), but outside of that, it grants any spellcaster with at least three caster levels the Brew Potion feat and can convert 25 GP into a potion of CLW 1/day.

Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP, MIC). Another Fabulous Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8) pick, and definitely not oversold. The biggest sticking point is it only creates mundane items, but if your book-diving skills are up to snuff, there's an incredible amount of utility to be found in mundane items. The pigments also reward creativity and ingenuity: painting cracks, keyholes, or drains instead of wasting paint on much larger solutions.

Pearls of Power (varies, DMG). For buff spells that last all day (or nearly so), you can buy one for every party member, and the spellcaster has to only devote a single spell slot to that buff, allowing him to fill his other slots with more useful spells.

Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC). Similar to the pearl of power trick, but more for triggered spells, allowing a spellcaster to "pre-cast" a buff that the PC can activate themselves later. If the Glyph Seal is keyed to something that can be opened or grabbed with a free action (such as pockets, ammo, or spell components), then this essentially allows a PC to activate a buff spell as a free action.

Quall's Feather Token: Tree/Swan Boat (400/450 GP, DMG). Way too many uses to list here, up to and including, fly above an opponent and drop it for 20d6 falling object damage.

Cloak of Shelter (12080 GP, A&EG). I might consider taking this instead of Daern's Instant Tent. Although this is a tad more expensive than a custom item that casts Leomund's secure shelter 1/day, it does have an additional alarm ability and turns into a 4-person tent on command.

death390
2018-02-05, 02:48 PM
Seconding the Rod of Bodily Restoration and Orb of Mental Renewal. Some other suggestions, in no particular order:

Artificer's Monocle (1500 GP, MIC): Turns a cantrip slot into a free identify spell.

Gloves of Object Reading (3000 GP, MIC): I oversold this item a bit when I named it as one of the Fabulous Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8). If you go strictly by the book, these gloves only reveal the previous owner's race, gender, age, alignment, and how the object was gained and lost. You don't get to keep asking an infinite number of "20 questions" to nail down the owner's food allergies and Netflix password. However, even though the information is limited, that's still quite a lot of information that can reveal some key clues about doors, traps, puzzles, and other typical dungeon furnishings.

Gremma's Cauldron (5000 GP, Expedition to Undermountain). This one requires some discussion with the DM on how it works, but assuming that discussion goes well, you can use this to convert scrolls (spell-completion items) into potions (spell-storing items anyone can use). It's not clear if *any* scroll can be converted into a potion (hence the need for discussion), but outside of that, it grants any spellcaster with at least three caster levels the Brew Potion feat and can convert 25 GP into a potion of CLW 1/day.

Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP, MIC). Another Fabulous Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8) pick, and definitely not oversold. The biggest sticking point is it only creates mundane items, but if your book-diving skills are up to snuff, there's an incredible amount of utility to be found in mundane items. The pigments also reward creativity and ingenuity: painting cracks, keyholes, or drains instead of wasting paint on much larger solutions.

Pearls of Power (varies, DMG). For buff spells that last all day (or nearly so), you can buy one for every party member, and the spellcaster has to only devote a single spell slot to that buff, allowing him to fill his other slots with more useful spells.

Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC). Similar to the pearl of power trick, but more for triggered spells, allowing a spellcaster to "pre-cast" a buff that the PC can activate themselves later. If the Glyph Seal is keyed to something that can be opened or grabbed with a free action (such as pockets, ammo, or spell components), then this essentially allows a PC to activate a buff spell as a free action.

Quall's Feather Token: Tree/Swan Boat (400/450 GP, DMG). Way too many uses to list here, up to and including, fly above an opponent and drop it for 20d6 falling object damage.

Cloak of Shelter (12080 GP, A&EG). I might consider taking this instead of Daern's Instant Tent. Although this is a tad more expensive than a custom item that casts Leomund's secure shelter 1/day, it does have an additional alarm ability and turns into a 4-person tent on command.

Thanks for the help.

i used to get Artificers Monocole all the time but never do because Magic item Identification rules. 25+spell level (or 1/2 caster level) will identify items without Identify (MIC p217). might take a couple times though (depends on GM).

Psycomancy gloves interesting, deffinitly going to add this to the pile if possibles.

Interesting bit on the Cauldron, hmm i would assume only valid targets of Brew Potion would be doable but seeing a potion of fireball that could be thrown would be nice. added to pile.

Mavelous pigments are great though deffinitly adding that. (just temp replacing gear is worth it if nothing else, or lockpicks, rope, ect)

Pearls would be usefull but don't have a real wizard and cleric is warrior/healer not buff (spont divine UA)

Glyph seals are interesting, a manual reset magic spell trap. ill add it to the doc but not for this party. (only casters we have are the rangers (hahahahaha) and the warrior cleric)

Yeah i love Qualls items, though i thought they adhered to the standard conjuration rules (must have surface to conjure from). we have a couple patches of rowboat from a previously gained robe of useful items so not the boat at this time, i already have a couple trees though. i always find it funny to have a couple dancing whips tokens on a rouge character when i can't get flanking by teammate though.

i'll add the cloak onto the list of shelter items but it is just out of reach right now (by 2k), thanks for reminding me of A&EG here is the only other item i found that that would be a benefit to whole party

Testing Chalice 4k to see how good/bad the liguid you found is; acid, poison, alchemical, clean/dirty water, ect

looked at your fabulous 4 btw adding that belt to my list of to-get items. a floating maneuver feat is great, 10x better on an initatior :) i can reset it during combat MUAHAHAHAHa. (though it is limited since you must meet the pre-reqs, you could still take a stance theoretically since a stance is a maneuver as well)

Darrin
2018-02-05, 03:42 PM
Glyph seals are interesting, a manual reset magic spell trap. ill add it to the doc but not for this party. (only casters we have are the rangers (hahahahaha) and the warrior cleric)

I don't know, there are a bunch of ranger spells I would love to have as a free-action buff: blades of fire, impeding stones, instant of power, embrace the wild, hunter's eye, hunter's mercy, lion's charge, rhino's rush, swift haste, etc.

death390
2018-02-05, 05:55 PM
i guess ill consider them more next level then (everyone is still lvl 3, so no ranger spells yet)

Demidos
2018-02-05, 06:04 PM
Talisman of the Disk. 500 gp for infinite force disks that will move with you, meaning your melee will get to full attack instead of wasting time moving. You can also carry your loot, prop open doors, and do any of millions of other creative things.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-05, 06:09 PM
You should consider whether a Farspeaking Amulet (MIC 99) would be of benefit to your party. It can allow up to 5 character to communicate at any distance on the same plane. I've been in parties that made frequent use of one of these, and others where it would have been relatively useless.

DeTess
2018-02-05, 06:09 PM
Deepening on the campaign, a pair of gloves of object-reading(3000 gp) can be of some use. They won't see much sue in a combat-focused campaign, but in a mope role-play and investigation heavy campaigns they can be very useful if you don't have a psion around to cast the power.

death390
2018-02-05, 06:33 PM
huh i read talisman of the disk, looked at it several times. after looking at the thing again i see in the MIC table of tools that it is a 3 hours/day tool. (thats kinda neat its basically CL 3 1/day use. hmm 1800*3*1/5 = 1050g, so good discount) eh ill toss it on the pile. thanks for redirecting me back to it.

farspeaking amulet wouldn't be bad persay but most of the group sticks together, i get volunteered to go off by myself alot though. we have a 7 person group +DM so 2 people wouldn't get a amulet.

also thanks Randuir for the suggestion but Darrin beat you to it. i did add those to the list though.

Quertus
2018-02-05, 08:13 PM
I will, of course, shamelessly take the opportunity to promote the Amulet of Emergency Healing (6k) as one of the best ways to save party members from death, or Ring of Spell Storing (???) to remove the pesky "self only" limitation from buff spells.

Darrin
2018-02-05, 09:14 PM
Seconding Talisman of the Disk. You can also use it to "sidecar" a PC to another PC or animal companion/improved familiar/mount/cohort/etc. A Dwarven Defender, for example, could be moved around the battlefield 30' per round by putting him on the disk. So long as the holder of the Talisman doesn't move faster than 30', the person riding the sidecar can full attack without worrying about moving themselves.

Oh, something I forgot: Aspect Mirrors (4000 GP, Complete Scoundrel) for unlimited two-way communication.

death390
2018-02-05, 09:27 PM
talisman of the disk is definitely one of the better items i have found (especially if i can get an unlimited variant) the ability to sidecar my negative sneak mod teammate to take them with would be a benefit (though cant hide them), or double the movespeed of one of my slower teammates (base land speed 45, lowest allies is 20))

aspect mirrors are kinda expensive for only 2 person communication unless distance is a major factor (like towns apart at least)

the amulet of emergency healing is a good item but i don't know if it is worth a neck slot. maybe if i were to double the price to make it slotless. Hmmm.

animewatcha
2018-02-05, 10:42 PM
Looked into errata for magic item compendium ( where the talisman is from ). This is a case of text over table. For 500 gp, you get pseudo-pounce all day.

-edited-